Omer Asik

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If someone did this for Gortat

But no one did it for Gortat. The pick from the Wizards will be in the lottery only in a very unlikely scenario.

Asik is definitely more valuable than Gortat, IMO.

Yes, I agree.

How do you gain more talent on your team? Via draft picks (including getting yours as high as possible) and via cap space/cap management.

Trading for Asik would sacrifice in both (3) areas for a very questionable return.

I think the Suns have so many holes to fill that they need to be open to acquiring players by trade as well. In spite of Plumlee's and Markieff Morris's surprising good starts to the season, the Suns still have one of the worst PF/C rotations in the league. The draft and free agency can go only so far.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Omer Asik is a very interesting player but the likelihood of acquiring him for Channing Frye is very small at this time. Were Frye the same player he was a couple years ago then I could see a possibility by adding a lowerpick but unless he has a very quick recovery, I don't think Houston would be interested. Word is that Houston is looking for an immediate impact player or a draft pick (I assume some level lottery pick). I don't think Frye currently qualifies.

There is a player that Houston would likely be interested in and that is Bledsoe. He would be a great fit with Harden. As crazy as some would think this sounds, this could be a fabulous trade for both teams. A great defender next to Harden is ideal. The biggest issue for Houston would be how Bledose's next contract fits their situation. For the Suns, they would be acquiring a premier defensive center. If Len progresses as hoped, is it possible he could be moved to the 4 to play alongside Asik? That's a possible defensive juggernaut. These two, combined with back-up minutes from Plumlee, could be about as good as it gets. There's certainly a speculative element to this, but that's part of rebuilding.

I'm not sure what kind of deal could be structured but I assume Phoenix could get a bit more than just Asik. Maybe Jones or Motie. As to the cap hit, it's like 8.3 each year but actual salary paid is varied.

The Suns would be the laughing stock of the league if they traded Bledsoe for Asik. You have got to be kidding me. I don't care what other garbage is thrown in.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
My appreciation for Dragic is really irrelevant to this trade. Dragic next to Harden doesn't work nearly as well so that's why I suggested Bledsoe.

As to the value aspect, you're both seriously underestimating Asik's value. David Thorpe (a pretty good basketball mind) suggested that Houston try to obtain Chris Bosh in trade. Is Bledsoe more valuable than Bosh? I think that's a pretty big stretch. But viewed beyond that context, championship teams are largely, but not necessarily, built around big guys. Now I don't think Asik is going to lead a team to a championship but he's a nice piece. I hope the Suns at least look at this avenue.

Uh, yes? Is this a serious question?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if the trade did happen it would likely be Plumlee and a first round pick for a mediocre center in Asik. I wouldn't do it when the Suns have the next two drafts to address the center position again. If the Suns want to throw a couple of first round picks and a player(s), let it be for a star.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm getting to believe that this Sci Fi character posts over-the-top things just to rile the board up.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I'm getting to believe that this Sci Fi character posts over-the-top things just to rile the board up.

Hmmmm. . . . I am also beginning to suspect that you like movies, Slin didn't care for Gortat, and Eric is pessimistic about the current roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if the trade did happen it would likely be Plumlee and a first round pick for a mediocre center in Asik. I wouldn't do it when the Suns have the next two drafts to address the center position again. If the Suns want to throw a couple of first round picks and a player(s), let it be for a star.

I really wouldn't have much respect for McDonough if he traded for Asik. It would tell me that he has no confidence in his own picks. He drafted Len 5th, certainly with the idea that he will eventually be the starting center. Len hasn't even had any time to develop yet. Asik demands to be the starter and is getting paid like a starter. His contract is not easily tradeable, so he's not even a good candidate to flip for something else.

Stick with the plan, develop your young talent. The Suns need to be looking for a potential superstar at the wing positions.

Adding players just because they are available is what the old regime did.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really wouldn't have much respect for McDonough if he traded for Asik. It would tell me that he has no confidence in his own picks. He drafted Len 5th, certainly with the idea that he will eventually be the starting center. Len hasn't even had any time to develop yet. Asik demands to be the starter and is getting paid like a starter. His contract is not easily tradeable, so he's not even a good candidate to flip for something else.

Stick with the plan, develop your young talent. The Suns need to be looking for a potential superstar at the wing positions.

Here, I'll give you a better plan. Trade Bledsoe for Asik plus what ever else you can get. Make the playoffs this year with an elite defense. Sign Carmelo in free agency. Now that's a plan. Elite defense, sufficient offense, excellent coaching and plenty of young pieces to build for the future. From bottom of the league to being a contender in two years. I'll take something like that over a strategy based on hope. Now that would be polishing a turd.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here, I'll give you a better plan. Trade Bledsoe for Asik plus what ever else you can get. Make the playoffs this year with an elite defense. Sign Carmelo in free agency. Now that's a plan. Elite defense, sufficient offense, excellent coaching and plenty of young pieces to build for the future. From bottom of the league to being a contender in two years. I'll take something like that over a strategy based on hope. Now that would be polishing a turd.

Trade Bledsoe and the elite defense goes out the window. Without Bledsoe the Suns are probably a 1-8 team right now, especially given Goran's injury problems.

Also... sign Carmelo and the idea of building a team around defense becomes an absolute joke.

Furthermore, with Asik's 15 mil cap hit next season, signing a player like Carmelo becomes almost impossible.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Trade Bledsoe and the elite defense goes out the window. Without Bledsoe the Suns are probably a 1-8 team right now, especially given Goran's injury problems.

Also... sign Carmelo and the idea of building a team around defense becomes an absolute joke.

Furthermore, with Asik's 15 mil cap hit next season, signing a player like Carmelo becomes almost impossible.

And further-furthermore, it's abundantly clear that Anthony can't be the #1 guy on a contender. Any team hitching their wagon to him is doomed until he can figure out how to be a role player.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Absolutely and ridiculously untrue. Defense in the NBA is largely dependent on coaching schemes. Bledose hasn't even been as good as advertised on the defensive end. We're watching different games I guess.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And further-furthermore, it's abundantly clear that Anthony can't be the #1 guy on a contender. Any team hitching their wagon to him is doomed until he can figure out how to be a role player.

Abundantly clear. OK. I suspect things are a little more complicated than that.

Errntknght

Reaction score

Lets see, we give up the best part of our offense and the leader of our defense for a solid defensive C who is an excellent rebounder but pitiful on offense. This would affect our playoff chances but not in the way you suggest... it would virtually guarantee we are in the lottery. (There is something to be said for that, of course.)

I don't mean to question your expertise on polishing turds but I much prefer McDonough's plan.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets see, we give up the best part of our offense and the leader of our defense for a solid defensive C who is an excellent rebounder but pitiful on offense. This would affect our playoff chances but not in the way you suggest... it would virtually guarantee we are in the lottery. (There is something to be said for that, of course.)

I don't mean to question your expertise on polishing turds but I much prefer McDonough's plan.

The leader of the defense is Plumlee. Again, we're watching different games. Bledsoe falls asleep half the time. The Bledsoe I've watched on defense in Phoenix is seriously overrated. Is he capable of being potentially great? Maybe, but there's a lot of work to be done. The best part of our offense? He walks the ball up the court and plays iso. Hornacek has commented on this several times. He's shot the ball well. That's about it. When the sample size is larger than let's talk.

As to your assessment of Asik's defensive abilities, go take a look at RAPM for the last few years. Yes, it's an imperfect statistic but I'll take it over someone who thinks Asik is just "solid". BTW, did you know Asik had the highest */- on Houston last year? Solid!

Errntknght

Reaction score
Absolutely and ridiculously untrue. Defense in the NBA is largely dependent on coaching schemes. Bledose hasn't even been as good as advertised on the defensive end. We're watching different games I guess

Have you noticed what defensive scheme we are using? Its plain vanilla man to man - how cunning of Horny to use what no other coach ever thought of!

Defensive schemes have their uses but its a mistake to think they are of great importance - its more important that whatever scheme the coach implements is bought into by the players and that they are all on the same page. Its more important yet that the basic man to man is executed well and how skilled the players are at that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Whatever happens with the Suns, I hope their future is better than Omer Asik and Carmelo Anthony.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If there was a trade where Asik were a piece of the trade, I can live with it. However, I don't think the Suns should be chasing after a younger version of Gortat. The Suns should be chasing stars. Just because Asik wants to be traded, why the Suns. The Suns have Plumlee, Len and draft picks to address the C/F position. So It seems like we agree on this issue. IMO, the Suns have accrued assets to go after bigger fish. Also I don't like the idea of accommodating the Rockets.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw a journalist on the NBA channel suggest a straight up trade that would benefit both teams, Asik for Marion. Maybe we could get involved in a 3 way deal and bring Marion back to the Valley. It would be an absolute steal. We'd basically be trading Bledsoe for one of the Walking Dead and a guaranteed chance to select a top 4 player in the 2014 draft. Asik's value has been set!

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just saw a journalist on the NBA channel suggest a straight up trade that would benefit both teams, Asik for Marion. Maybe we could get involved in a 3 way deal and bring Marion back to the Valley. It would be an absolute steal. We'd basically be trading Bledsoe for one of the Walking Dead and a guaranteed chance to select a top 4 player in the 2014 draft. Asik's value has been set!

Steve

Well this sets the market for Asik. ;)

Now the Suns should stay out of the way.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was a trade where Asik were a piece of the trade, I can live with it. However, I don't think the Suns should be chasing after a younger version of Gortat. The Suns should be chasing stars. Just because Asik wants to be traded, why the Suns. The Suns have Plumlee, Len and draft picks to address the C/F position. So It seems like we agree on this issue. IMO, the Suns have accrued assets to go after bigger fish. Also I don't like the idea of accommodating the Rockets.

You and I are on the same wavelength.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here, I'll give you a better plan. Trade Bledsoe for Asik plus what ever else you can get. Make the playoffs this year with an elite defense. Sign Carmelo in free agency. Now that's a plan.

Sounds like a masterplan created by Lance Blanks.