On Leinart and Philip Rivers

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, Leinart. He had a lot of time to throw most of the time against Green Bay but often our receivers were covered. Seems to me that deep "in" to Bryant Johnson has been used so much that teams jump it.

I don't like Leinart's body language. He came out scared and played like it - again. And, when he has to move outside the pocket, he is so slow setting his feet to throw, he often can't and then throws into the ground.

Long term, he will be very good but that crap about being NFL ready was overstated. In many ways, he was hit so few times in college and forced out of the pocket so few times, he's now reacting poorly.

So we just have to live with it for a while. Leinart already has better field vision, better feel of the pocket and better sense of when to throw the ball away than Warner did. I'm glad he's starting.

Now about Philip Rivers. In his frst year as a starter, he will probably make the Pro bowl. And through the first 8 games, he might be the second best QB in the NFL this year behind Manning. Imagine if he had any decent fast WRs!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree Skorpp. Leinart is as much a victim of poor preparation as anybody else on this team.

A perfect example. On our first TD drive the first 2 plays were swing passes to Edge which resulted in gains of nearly 20 yards. I don't recall that play being called before or after that.
We threw 3 what I would call deep passes yesterday. One was overthrown to Boldin. One was a tad long for Walters and one to Hands of Stone Bryant who dropped it even though it wouldn't have counted. None successful but all very close to being big plays and above all dictating to the defense and keeping them a bit on their heels.

Leinart showed it against the Chiefs and the Bears that we need to be a team that comes out off the chute gunning. Not with this gutless, stupid and inept coaching staff. We wait until we fall hopelessly behind and thats when a rookie can REALLY be exposed. Our three best games this year is when we came out throwing.

I've seen enough to know that this coaching staff does not play to a players strength. We were the leading passing team in the league last year and this staff was convinced from day one the only way we would be better was to become a team that could run the ball at will.

The saddest part about this whole fiasco is that we are now 1-7 and this staff still don't get it. You would think that someone , SOMEBODY would have the balls enough to stand up and say "What the hell are we doing? We are a team built for the Indy 500 and we've decided it would more fun go trail riding.

Absurd.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta admit Rivers has surprised the hell out of me this year. Pro Bowl will be tough you gotta figure Manning and Brady are locks and Palmer is going to be tough to keep out. Also if you're going to pick a guy in a run first offense, you can't overlook Huard although if Green comes back soon he won't get enough time. But Huard has the 2nd highest passer rating in the AFC right now and his WR's are arguably no better than Rivers.

But I will say so far I was dead wrong about rivers.

Matt is in a situation where he has only 2 guys he really trusts, Boldin and Walters, and a crappy OL that is forcing them to do nothing but shorter drops which was not what they did at USC at all.

I would argue the current offense is not a prostyle offense, we simply do a lot more short drops than a normal NFL offense.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Horrible comparison. This is Rivers 3rd year and whether he played or not before this season he got valuable time to learn his offense. He hasn't had to switch OC's, has the best RB in the NFL and an above average backup RB who carry that team, has one of the best defenses in the league which takes pressure off, and has an OL that gives him more then a half second to make a decision. Rivers is operating a Hummer while Leinart as no choice but to push a broken down Pinto

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Horrible comparison. This is Rivers 3rd year and whether he played or not before this season he got valuable time to learn his offense. He hasn't had to switch OC's, has the best RB in the NFL and an above average backup RB who carry that team, has one of the best defenses in the league which takes pressure off, and has an OL that gives him more then a half second to make a decision. Rivers is operating a Hummer while Leinart as no choice but to push a broken down Pinto

I agree the comparison is kind of weak.

The Leinart has a lot of time to throw is the comment that gives skorp even less credibility. The pocket is clearly collapsing on him, they gave up 4 sacks and they have no running game.

Is he kind of worried of getting smashed, probably, but that says the line is not NFL ready not the QB. Matt is ready, he will be great and will win a lot of playoff games, I just don't think it will ever be here. Then skkorp can move on to thinking the next skill position player is not ready or sucks all of a sudden just like we always do.

I am getting tired of people inferring that our line is good enough, it's clearly not.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Well let's see.

Rivers has a good offensive line, the best running back in football, the best TE in football, and one of, if not THE best defense in football.

Meanwhile Leinart plays for the Arizona Turdinals.

I don't think it is a very fair comparison.

Note: I am in no way saying one QB is better than the other. I think the question cannot be answered because of such an unlevel quality of teams. River has been very good this year I must say.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I agree the comparison is kind of weak.

The Leinart has a lot of time to throw is the comment that gives skorp even less credibility. The pocket is clearly collapsing on him, they gave up 4 sacks and they have no running game.

Is he kind of worried of getting smashed, probably, but that says the line is not NFL ready not the QB. Matt is ready, he will be great and will win a lot of playoff games, I just don't think it will ever be here. Then skkorp can move on to thinking the next skill position player is not ready or sucks all of a sudden just like we always do.

I am getting tired of people inferring that our line is good enough, it's clearly not.

Exactly. I don't even attmept at arguing with people who continue to say our OL is a good pass blocking unit. BS! We throw BY FAR AND AWAY the most 2 step drop passes and Leinart still gets pressured. Yet people look at the sack numbers and say our OL gives the QB plenty of time. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Every time he does a normal 4 step drop he has nearly no chance. It's really sad how awful this line is. We obvioulsy can't run and we can't realistically throw down field either

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've probably been the biggest Rivers basher on here and i have to admit he has looked pretty good.The thing that has surprised me the most is that he has shown some arm strength.He is in a good situation but you can't take away that he has been impressive.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've probably been the biggest Rivers basher on here and i have to admit he has looked pretty good.The thing that has surprised me the most is that he has shown some arm strength.He is in a good situation but you can't take away that he has been impressive.

I'll second that! Hell, even in pre-season I wasn't giving this kid any credit. He looks like a serious pro out there.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score

I agree. Manning would also look scared and not NFL ready behind our O-line and running game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know that I was a big fan of Rivers coming out of NC State. All he ever did is win with a subpar supporting offensive cast.

Redrage and I watched him since his freshman year and even though he never looked "pretty" playing QB, he was damn effective.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've seen enough to know that this coaching staff does not play to a players strength. We were the leading passing team in the league last year and this staff was convinced from day one the only way we would be better was to become a team that could run the ball at will.

This might be the very best paragraph I have read recently on this board and there has be some good ones.:thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Leinart played great when he first came in. Surround him with the team Big Ben had when he got into the Steeler's offense, and he does just as well as Big Ben that year.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about comparing Rivers to Eli Manning. That was the QB crop that year. The Chargers don't look so stupid after all. Rivers sitting for 2 years worked out just fine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing on Matt that I think we should eventually do but can't now because Matt is so new and the OL keeps changing, is run a lot more no huddle or sugar huddle.

One of the big issues we have is we're so predictable on play calling by down and formation.

if we go no huddle, we can force teams to stick with a base defense, not let them sub based on our blatantly obvious tendencies. Utlimately that can mean if teams play extra DB's against us, we can run the ball better, if they don't, we spread them out with the pass.

Won't work well now but I think next year we should see a lot more of that. Matt is one of the brighter QB's to come out in ages, let him use his brains.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Chargers don't look so stupid after all.
Who was calling them stupid? I think most people thought it was a brilliant, ballsy move to pick manning and trade him--I think most people thought they made out like bandits even before Rivers started playing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who was calling them stupid? I think most people thought it was a brilliant, ballsy move to pick manning and trade him--I think most people thought they made out like bandits even before Rivers started playing.

Maybe he was referring to some of the experts saying that SD would struggle after letting Brees go in FA?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05