Once Again The "Better" Team Loses To The Spurs

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
So once again the Hornets, the better team, lose to the Spurs and score only 80 points. Some might say - it was the Spurs defense. No.. not really. The Hornets never showed up. Just never showed up to a game 7!

I really thought the Hornets had it in them to win it all THIS year. I guess they really are a year early. What was with going to Janero Pargo late in the 4th? Is he taking cue's from Dantoni by going to Barbosa and Diaw late in games because "their open"? Unbelievable. Even more unbelievable was how passive Chris Paul seemed tonight. I just don't get it! I guess were not the only team to struggle with the Spurs.. Now the Hornet fans will learn that special kinda hate.

Lakers are the better team, so the Spurs will win that series too. Sigh..

Bong

Registered
Reaction score
Spurs + refs are a tough pairing to beat. Stern makes sure of it.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Hornets had their chance and they blew it. How does that make them the "better team?" The Spurs won 4 out of the 7 games, they are the better team, and they are moving on.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
IMO the spurs are the better coached team (by a lot), and that seems to make 95% of the difference in winning or losing in the playoffs. You can have all the talent in the freaking world and if your team cannot execute defensive and offensive sets more then 30% of the time, and your coach isn't good at adjustments then you are sunk. Period.

D'antoni will never win a championship no matter what team. That much I am sure now. Byron has another year to gain more experience, the jury isn't out on the hornets thats for sure, not even close since they are young and inexperienced in the playoffs. We will see next year. This just makes me realize it is even more hopeless for the Suns.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Hornets had their chance and they blew it. How does that make them the "better team?" The Spurs won 4 out of the 7 games, they are the better team, and they are moving on.

They are too young. But Horry also weakened them physically to set up the stage of failure in game 7. So, you guys better finish them off in 6!

cly2tw

Reaction score
IMO the spurs are the better coached team (by a lot), and that seems to make 95% of the difference in winning or losing in the playoffs. You can have all the talent in the freaking world and if your team cannot execute defensive and offensive sets more then 30% of the time, and your coach isn't good at adjustments then you are sunk. Period.

D'antoni will never win a championship no matter what team. That much I am sure now. Byron has another year to gain more experience, the jury isn't out on the hornets thats for sure, not even close since they are young and inexperienced in the playoffs. We will see next year. This just makes me realize it is even more hopeless for the Suns.

Well, the way West, Pargo, Peja, Peterson missed all those open shots in the 2nd half, it's a combination of coach and players inexperience that did them in. And the combined savvy, and cheapness when needed, by the Spurs vets players and coach makes them beat a lot of team that are better talented. If not for their dirty and cheap sides, they deserve a lot of respect for that achivement.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The better team won... (F!%#K!!!!)
As much as you hate the Spurs....

and most of us here do... I respect them though...

Spurs and Popovic just rules the NBA....
smartest, most cunning, most experienced team...
Best chemistry Ive seen since the Bulls era.... even better actually.. Bulls had the best 1-2 combo, but Spurs has the best 7 man rotation....

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
The Hornets were a tough tough team, I am actually relieved that the Spurs pulled this series out as I thought the Hornets match up with the Spurs perfectly.

Both teams played great defense (I haven't seen anyone play better one-on-one defense on Duncan than Chandler, not even Rasheed), and the Spurs were fortunate enough to survive this series. The Hornets took it like a man, and made no excuses, just a physically and mentally tough team who is well coached and talented. Once they get experience and a decent bench, there'd be no stopping them.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The Hornets were a tough tough team, I am actually relieved that the Spurs pulled this series out as I thought the Hornets match up with the Spurs perfectly.

Both teams played great defense (I haven't seen anyone play better one-on-one defense on Duncan than Chandler, not even Rasheed), and the Spurs were fortunate enough to survive this series. The Hornets took it like a man, and made no excuses, just a physically and mentally tough team who is well coached and talented. Once they get experience and a decent bench, there'd be no stopping them.

Thanks for your insight...

mack2323

Reaction score
Congrats to the Spurs, even though I hate them. The season is pretty much over for me. I think they will win the championship. The finals will be an ugly basketball again. Imagine Spurs against either Pistons or Celtics. Scores probably not gonna go over 90.

Spurs are smart thay had to use the HACK A SHAQ in the process to win another asterisk title.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Spurs + refs are a tough pairing to beat. Stern makes sure of it.

Both teams have had the benefit of officiating for many seasons. This one is going to be tough for the officials, but Stern will make sure that L.A. wins this in 6 or 7

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe is hurt. He's not getting by the Spurs. I'll root for any EC team at this point. But it is clear that the grabbing, pulling, flopping, whining and complaining is the way to win in the NBA playoffs.

Its sickening basketball. Unwatchable.

nowagimp

Reaction score
not to clutter things up with some facts, but the only bench player playing more than 10 mins was pargo(26), wells and ely also cam off the bench with 5, 4 minutes respectively. CP3 played 48 minutes, west 46 mins with a bad back, chandler 42mins, and Peja played 44mins, sounds exhausting. The hornets looked dead at the end of the game. I guess Byron scott is an "idiot coach", he doesnt play his bench and it cost them. Or maybe those bench players made too many errors/turnovers in previous games, so he didnt play them last night. But consider that the winning team, the spurs, started out 3-17 in the 4th, tried to give the game away, but the hornets didnt want it. This was a terrible game, just terribly played, All that "good defense" led to an incredible number of blown open shots as these teams were fatigued. They looked like a couple drunken fighters just trying to land a blow(a shot). Players heaving bricks, long rebounds flying all over the court, it was sad and comical at the same time.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree about Chandler's play of Duncan. He seemed unable to deal with Tim without double team help, which opened up kick outs to the Spurs three point shooters. The Spurs seriously took away the Hornet's shooters while the Spurs were generally wide wide open.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree about Chandler's play of Duncan. He seemed unable to deal with Tim without double team help, which opened up kick outs to the Spurs three point shooters. The Spurs seriously took away the Hornet's shooters while the Spurs were generally wide wide open.

While this is true in the 1st half, it was a decision made by Scott to make sure Chandler will not be in foul trouble for the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half, Duncan was mostly singled by Chandler, and he shot 0-10. This was the reason the spurs shot so poorly in the 2nd half.

OP
OP
B

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Yeah,, who for the Lakers is gonna guard Duncan? Ugh..

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
While this is true in the 1st half, it was a decision made by Scott to make sure Chandler will not be in foul trouble for the 2nd half.

In the 2nd half, Duncan was mostly singled by Chandler, and he shot 0-10. This was the reason the spurs shot so poorly in the 2nd half.

I didn't realize Duncan shot so poorly in the second half, but the Hornets dug their hole in the first helf. The Spurs are very tough when ahead.

Last edited:

BigJit

Veteran
Reaction score
They better put Odom on Duncan. If they have Gasol on him, Duncan will have a monster series.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Odom on Duncan would definitely be used by Phil Jackson. If Gasol guarded Duncan, then he would be greatly affected on offense.

Lakers in 6.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Wow, an amazing thread. How many series have the Spurs now won without being the better team. Is it 12 straight series where they either lucked out or the officials won it for them. By the way, we beat the better and more talented Suns in 5 games. You can hate the Spurs all you want, but the bottom line is they just keep winning. Saying you (the Suns), or the Hornets, or the Mavs, or the Pistons, or Lakers are the better team after the Spurs dispatch them makes you look whiney and petty. You keep the moral victories, we'll take the championships.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05