O'Neal asks for trade

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I will have to bookmark all these. Thanks guys. If Hill is 14.5, Howard 5.4, that's 19.9, Okafor is 4 according to elindholm, that's 23.9. Shaq is 29.5 next year, subtract 2.95 million (ten percent) = 26.55. so in essence they are only 26.55 - 23.9 = 2.65 million from getting the deal done! The Magic can't come up with a 2.7 million dollar contract to make this thing work? ;)

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okafor's salary wouldn't count. I was wrong when I said it would; hcsilla corrected me.

And you're still missing the point. The big problem isn't salaries, it's talent. You can fantasize all you want, but I guarantee that the Lakers will not trade O'Neal to the Magic without getting McGrady as part of the package.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
sly fly said:
If Shaq goes anywhere, it's back to his hometown.
Shaq and Duncan? Wow!

You can just picture Karl Malone going, “Ooh! Ooh! Take me too! Please!”

cly2tw

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea about how trade exceptions work?

Shaq + George for Marion, Jake, Eisley, #7, (White + Cleveland's to Bobcats) will give the Lakers about 15 mil trade exception. Can't they sign Dampier and whoever with it? or trade for some other asset?

Marion's contract is bad but George's is that too. So, it's about OK. It's not worse than taking Rahim's bad contract or Ratliff's! That's the reason why cap space can be so valuable!

fordronken

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread but nobody seemed inclined to respond. I'll try again:

What would need to happen would be a team that would give a mix of young talent and overpaid veterans. Here is a deal that works under the cap involving the Grizzlies.

Lakers trade Shaq.

Grizzlies trade Bonzi Wells, Lorenzen Wright, Bo Outlaw, Pau Gasol, Jake Tsakalidis and Earl Watson.

That gives the Lakers a lineup of

Watson/Payton/Fisher
Bryant/George/Rush
Wells/George/Fox/Walton/Rush
Gasol/Cook/Medvedenko/Outlaw
Tsakalidis/Medvedenko

Sampson, Fisher, Payton or Medvedenko could very well leave. They also could try to move a wing player for a low level center like Chris Mihm.

And the Grizzlies:

Jason Williams
Mike Miller
James Posey
Stromile Swift
Shaquille O'Neal

Off the bench you've still got Battier, Smith, Jones, Watson, Bell, Humphrey. Man, the Grizzlies are deep.

Would the Grizz do it, though? I'd have to say they probably wouldn't, but I don't know. There are also lots of variations to be made with this trade.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Marion's contract is bad but George's is that too. So, it's about OK. It's not worse than taking Rahim's bad contract or Ratliff's!

Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff do not have bad contracts. They each have only one year left.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Grizzlies trade Bonzi Wells, Lorenzen Wright, Bo Outlaw, Pau Gasol, Jake Tsakalidis and Earl Watson.

The only attractive player there is Gasol. I think that the Lakers can do better.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

The only attractive player there is Gasol. I think that the Lakers can do better.

Earl Watson and Bonzi wells aren't attractive players? Big Jake is a restricted free agent also. You really can't be traded unless he's re-signed. Bo Outlaw would be attractive because he's a great team player, and he's in the last year of his deal.

In the end I suspect that if Shaquille O'Neal is traded it will be to the Dallas Mavericks or as part of a complex multi-team trade.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Earl Watson and Bonzi wells aren't attractive players?

Earl Watson? I mean, sure, I guess he deserves a spot in the league, but come on. He shot 37% from the field last year. He's a high-energy backup point guard, but that's it.

"We'd like you to trade us O'Neal for Gasol."
"You must be joking. O'Neal is 10 times as valuable as Gasol."
"Well, okay, we'll also throw in Earl Watson."
"(click)"

Wells is a funny case. Not too long ago, he looked like he might be on the verge of an All-Star team. Now he just seems lost. But I was exaggerating when I said he didn't have any value.

Big Jake is a restricted free agent also. You really can't be traded unless he's re-signed.

Right, and there are all sorts of restrictions on sign-and-trading RFAs.

In the end I suspect that if Shaquille O'Neal is traded it will be to the Dallas Mavericks or as part of a complex multi-team trade.

I think that's a good bet. Well, that or my Portland idea, the brilliance of which is evidently lost on you peons. :p

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I think that's a good bet. Well, that or my Portland idea, the brilliance of which is evidently lost on you peons. :p

I must have missed your Portland idea. Frankly it was either very late or very early when I was reading this thread, and you were probably boring me. :)

What was the idea again? Thanks.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
White (6 million)
Marion (10 million)
Eisley (6 million),
Lampe (2 million)
cap space (5.5 million)
Cleveland Pick

for Shaq

Unless my numbers are wrong, we would still have about 4 million to work with. We could sign Milos, give Dice a minimum contract, draft a pg.

I know you say the Lakers would want more than that, but they really would be getting more. They get a 5 million trade exception, that allows them to go out into the FA market at sign a center like Dampier. They will be able to sign such a player at a lower rate just to play in LA (endorsements etc).

They also get White's $ off the books next year.

Lampe gives them a good young big man prospect.

They can't balk at Eisley's contract because they will have to take a big useless contract back in ANY trade for Shaq.

Pg Milos, Barbs
Sg JJ, Casey, Draft pick
SF Zarko, JJ, Draft pick
PF Amare, Dice, Zarko, FA
C Shaq, Jake

I don't know, I'm not sure I like that roster. Its way too thin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They can't balk at Eisley's contract because they will have to take a big useless contract back in ANY trade for Shaq.

Why?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We could probably trade #7 for #14, #16 and #21 or so to get some depth if that was to happen.

The Nets did something similiar when they drafted Eddie Griffin and traded him for Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Why?

When you put together a trade that combines about 28M$ you are bound to have some bad contracts in that trade. But anyway the Lakers would get cap relief to make up for Eisley's 2 year contract.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I don't see the Grizzlies doing that AT ALL.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
Pg Milos, Barbs
Sg JJ, Casey, Draft pick
SF Zarko, JJ, Draft pick
PF Amare, Dice, Zarko, FA
C Shaq, Jake

I don't know, I'm not sure I like that roster. Its way too thin.

If that was my roster, in the draft I'd be looking for the most athletic, lock-down defender on the swing positions, that I could find.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
slinslin said:
We could probably trade #7 for #14, #16 and #21 or so to get some depth if that was to happen.

The Nets did something similiar when they drafted Eddie Griffin and traded him for Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and Brandon Armstrong.

And with those picks you could get say, Jameer Nelson, whichever of the big men that fall (Pavel, Biedrins, Ramos, or as a last resort --Ha)

Also, you might pick up Kris Humphries, Sabastian Telfair, or JR Smith in that range.

Interesting.

cly2tw

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Marion's contract is bad but George's is that too. So, it's about OK. It's not worse than taking Rahim's bad contract or Ratliff's!

Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff do not have bad contracts. They each have only one year left.

My bad. But the Lakers wouldn't get much of a trade exception from this. In a year they have to sign Randolph to a max deal. With Payton's and George's it's already ca. 35 mil cap space gone. Is Fisher still around plus Rush and co., then they'd have no cap space to play with next year. In contrast, they'd get Marion and 15 mil cap exception this year, while shedding George's bad contract. Imagine they get Dampier and Swift for the trade exception, Brent Barry for the MLE. They'd have

Dampier/Malone/Marion/Kobe/Payton

with Swift/Medv/Jake/Barry/Rush/Fisher/Eisley

That's a contender with a quite deep bench already, not to mention they still have our #7 pick to build for the future!

The Suns, after signing Dice for 2 and Vujanic for 1.5 before the trade, have

Shaq/Amare/George/JJ/Barbosa

Dice/Zarko/CJ/Vujanic/LA's pick

with some min. FAs without major injuries we can get into the playoffs this year.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Does anyone have an idea about how trade exceptions work?

Shaq + George for Marion, Jake, Eisley, #7, (White + Cleveland's to Bobcats) will give the Lakers about 15 mil trade exception. Can't they sign Dampier and whoever with it?

Trade exceptions can ony be used in trades, not to sign free agents (except sign-and-trade, of course).

At any rate, I remain completely uninterested in trading for Shaq.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
capologist said:
Trade exceptions can ony be used in trades, not to sign free agents (except sign-and-trade, of course).

At any rate, I remain completely uninterested in trading for Shaq.

That's what I thought. And I'm with you about trading for Shaquille O'Neal. I don't think the Phoenix Suns really want him, and I don't believe there is really a way to get him even if they did.

Joe Mama

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
That's what I thought. And I'm with you about trading for Shaquille O'Neal. I don't think the Phoenix Suns really want him, and I don't believe there is really a way to get him even if they did.

Joe Mama

Like I said earlier, the wild card with Shaq is he WOULD get people to go to games at AWA. What are the Suns moaning about the last couple seasons? Attendance! That alone has to make you worry the Suns will try and get Shaq! Even if his skills have declined, hard to say when he was the only guy doing anything against Detroit in the playoffs, you would still almost automatically be able to start printing playoff tickets if he came here. Also, like you guys have pointed out, we are one of the FEW teams that COULD do it. That puts us in the mix, whether we like it or not! I would be afraid if you didn't want Shaq coming here.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Like I said earlier, the wild card with Shaq is he WOULD get people to go to games at AWA. What are the Suns moaning about the last couple seasons?
A lot of things.

Attendance!
That’s one of them.

That alone has to make you worry the Suns will try and get Shaq!
Shaq might improve attendance a little in the short run, but not as much as you probably think. I’m willing to bet that they still wouldn’t sell out most games.

Whatever the impact on attendance in the short run, just about any alternative course of action would be superior in the long run. Sometimes, when you’re selling a team, you have to focus on short-term financial. When you’ve just bought the team, you can afford to be more patient.

Besides, the improved attendance would be more than offset by his salary, so it probably wouldn’t help the financials, even in the short run.

I would be afraid if you didn't want Shaq coming here.
Fortunately, your opinions have extremely little sway with me, so I remain unperturbed.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

Here's another way to look at it.

The Suns can basically send 3 young second tier All Stars to LA for Shaq.

Shawn Marion

The #7 which could be a first tier Star if the Lakers choose wisely.

$15 million in relief, basically the going rate for an All Star these days.

In this day of capoligy this is more than anybody has given up for one palyer in years.

I don't care what anybody says about Shaq, if he came here the SUns would win 50 games next year and be a threat to go to the finals with no one dominate team in the west to stop them. Here's why:

1. Shaq will be motivated like he hasn't been in years.
2. Shaq and Amare would be better than Robinson Duncan. I can't think of a team that has ever put to power players the likes of Amare and Shaq on the floor at the same time.
3. JJ could be the perfect point forward/guard to feed the monsters.
4. Our remaining cast would still be better than the Spurs that won their first championship.

Cog

Reaction score
Elindholm does have a sense of humor, however sarcastic and pompous may it be. :) Nah, I love ya, elindholm.

elindholm said:
Earl Watson and Bonzi wells aren't attractive players?

Earl Watson? I mean, sure, I guess he deserves a spot in the league, but come on. He shot 37% from the field last year. He's a high-energy backup point guard, but that's it.

"We'd like you to trade us O'Neal for Gasol."
"You must be joking. O'Neal is 10 times as valuable as Gasol."
"Well, okay, we'll also throw in Earl Watson."
"(click)"

Wells is a funny case. Not too long ago, he looked like he might be on the verge of an All-Star team. Now he just seems lost. But I was exaggerating when I said he didn't have any value.

Big Jake is a restricted free agent also. You really can't be traded unless he's re-signed.

Right, and there are all sorts of restrictions on sign-and-trading RFAs.