Opening on the road....it's okay.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know everybody was looking forward to an opening day in Glendale. But think about it.

First of all, if we are the team we all hope we are, then we need to go into San Fran set the tone and win this game. We had this team virtually beat twice last year and we let em off the hook, ( no pun intended). We have 6 MONTH'S to prepare for this game. The team will be fresh and ready to go.

Opening on the road has to be a little easier than a late season road game where a team has 6 days to heal and a travel day to boot.

We beat the 9ers and we have our opening home game vs the Dolphins. We need to start this season off 2-0 and then steal 1 of the east coast games (or both!). There is no reason in the world not to get off to a fast start. We have most of the same team returning. We've added veteran free agents for depth and competition. The entire coaching staff is the same. For the first time that I can remember we will not be praying a rookie can step in and fill a major hole.The players know the routine....and are hungry.

This team was 3 plays away from being 11-5. That's not being delussional. It's just a fact. This is the year I'm looking for this team to finally mature into a winning team.

We play 8 at home and 8 on the road. If we are in the hunt we will be SO happy to be playing 3 out of our last 4 at home. Opening on the road is not something we should be afraid of especially against the opponent we will be facing. Basically they will be an offense in transition. If our offense picks up where it left off last year, we will win in a romp.

One final word. As a long time Cardinal fan I (we) always feared of being out off the playoff race by the middle of October, therefore, we always yearned for a soft schedule to start off the season so as to stay in the hunt a little longer. I don't feel that way anymore. This team has as good a chance as most teams in the NFC. There is no reason to think otherwise.

JMHO!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team was 3 plays away from being 11-5. That's not being delussional. It's just a fact. This is the year I'm looking for this team to finally mature into a winning team.

this team was also 3 plays away from being 5-11. That's a fact as well, which is why we were probably 8-8.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe we can get off to fast start if Leinart doesn't get off to a slow start.

Can't say I am not worried about that.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Madden was on the NFL network last night talking about the schedule

he said that as a coach, he always preferred playing division games away first, than home later.

FWIW, this is the way the Cards schedule sets up. They play all three division rivals away first, then at home. The team plays three of its first four division games away.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this team was also 3 plays away from being 5-11. That's a fact as well, which is why we were probably 8-8.

True. But we had a first year coach. Everything was new and the things we learned last year will only better prepare us for this upcoming season.

It's no secret and you'll get no argument from me that the difference between winning and losing is ever so small. I feel we now have the talent in place to be a winning team. It still has to be done on the field and for sure there will be times our players fall a little short.

However , as I look at the whole picture it certainly appears to me we are in a position to succeed more often than fail.

We were 1 fg away from being a playoff team and the Redskins would have been sitting home watching the playoffs. Opposing fans and prognosticators will not remember that and tend to look at the overall picture. Many will say " The Redskins were a playoff team last year and are a team to be reckoned with this year." Those same critics will claim, "They are still the same old Cardinals", never realizing how close these 2 teams really are.

I'm not going to claim we are a legit super bowl contender, but I don't think it is unreasonable to believe we can be one of the top 6 teams in the NFC, and that means playoffs.

Even if we are opening on the road.:thumbup:

football karma

Reaction score

I tend to agree

in games decided by 7 points or less, the Cards in 2007 were 5-6.

in games decided by 3 points or less, the Cards in 2007 were 1-3.

in OT games, they were 1-1

all of it suggests that 8-8 is representative.

There is optimism in that in the three of the Cardinals wins by 7 points or less, the losing team scored late TDs to make the game close. The Cardinals only scored a late TD in one loss by 7 points or less.

pogoowner

Reaction score
The games against San Francisco last season were very close, but they are going to be MUCH improved on offense in the upcoming season. Even if you don't hold Mike Martz in high regard, he's a massive step up from Jim Hostler. They'll be a tough opponent.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The games against San Francisco last season were very close, but they are going to be MUCH improved on offense in the upcoming season. Even if you don't hold Mike Martz in high regard, he's a massive step up from Jim Hostler. They'll be a tough opponent.

Still in all, it's an entire new offensive system being run by a qb coming off injury and the first game of the season. Alex Smith may not even start, has proven nothing and has nobody to really come in for him. I got to believe they will not have all the kinks worked out by then. As far as Martz goes, he is no stranger to us and if the past tells us anything, a rb like Gore will be under used.
P.S. Welcome pogoowner. Just so you know, newbies buy lunch. I'll have a double cheeseburger with everything, fries, and a Miller Lite.

Last edited:

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Still in all, it's an entire new offensive system being run by a qb coming off injury and the first game of the season. Alex Smith may not even start, has proven nothing and has nobody to really come in for him. I got to believe they will not have all the kinks worked out by then. As far as Martz goes, he is no stranger to us and if the past tells us anything, a rb like Gore will be under used.
P.S. Welcome pogoowner. Just so you know, newbies buy lunch. I'll have a double cheeseburger with everything, fries, and a Miller Lite.

For the most part I have to agree with you. But I think Alex will start the season but thats another topic...I did not want to play the Cards the first game again. Glad we have a home game but didnt want another division game early like that since the Cards gives us problems and Martz system will just be starting. I wish we played you guys and the Seahawks couple weeks into the season than the first two games. It'll be interesting though

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the most part I have to agree with you. But I think Alex will start the season but thats another topic...I did not want to play the Cards the first game again. Glad we have a home game but didnt want another division game early like that since the Cards gives us problems and Martz system will just be starting. I wish we played you guys and the Seahawks couple weeks into the season than the first two games. It'll be interesting though

As a 49er fan, you can't be happy with the way the last 2 or 3 years have unfolded. You guys were the darlings of the NFL going into the 07 season and everything went downhill.
You franchise seems to be in a bit of transition after appearing to have it all together. In other words , you guys have gone backwards.
I know because as a Cardinal fan it seems that we have been stuck in that pattern for years....make that decades.

We have reason to be optimistic. We seem to have assembled a great coaching staff and a pretty good core of players going into the second year of this regime. We've added depth and EXPERIENCE (for the first time) and seemed poised to take the next step. We have outstanding playmakers on both sides of the ball, especially on offense. It appears the only thing to can stop us is a assortment of key injuries. Our other biggest questionmark is Leinart's progression, but even if he flounders we can turn to Warner.

I don't expect us to go into San Fran and just throw our helmets on the field declaring victory. But I must say if I had to pick a place to open our season, the 49ers seem ripe for the pickin, especially as you said , early on.

football karma

Reaction score
I don't expect us to go into San Fran and just throw our helmets on the field declaring victory. But I must say if I had to pick a place to open our season, the 49ers seem ripe for the pickin, especially as you said , early on.

There are pros and cons of opening week:

Week one with the Martz offense live will be a learning experience.

However, you can bet the 49ers will spend all preseason putting in that game's package and going over it again and again.

As a point of reference, two years ago in the Lions first season with Martz, the Lions didnt score a TD until the third quarter of the second game of the season -- and this was with an experienced vet QB and far superior offensive talent than the 49ers currently possess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05