Options and Considerations at QB: What Will Whiz do?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It should be very interesting to see what the Cardinals' plan is this off-season. In terms of the big picture, the most significant question is, without Kurt Warner, do the Cardinals still consider themselves Super Bowl contenders, or do they start a rebuilding process?

In terms of persennel it would appear that the Cardinals still have a Super Bowl quality offense---provided they continue to score in the vacinity of 25-28 points a game. Warner certainly had a great deal to do with the scoring numbers...but, if the Cardinals can continue to improve their running game and if they can get good, soild quarterbacking, especially in the red zone where Warner and the team were so proficent the last couple of years, this offense could still be one of the top offenses in the NFL.

It should be carefully noted that the talent the team currently has on offense is looking pretty solid for the next two years...but one has to wonder what may happen after that, especialy seeing as Larry Fitzgerald has two years remaining on his contract---and thanks to crafty negotiating on his last deal---he cannot be issued the franchise tag. Thus, if the Cardinals are going to win a Super Bowl with Fitz on the roster...they quite possibly will just have these two years to do it.

There are more question marks on defense, and it's going to take improved personnel and coaching to get the defense playing at a playoff caliber level. Some excellent pieces are in place, but several need to be added. Can enough of those pieces be added this year? Can the coaching improve enough this year?

What I am going to attempt to throughout this week is offer some of the scenarios the Cardinals may be considering at the key positions. Today I will start with the quarterbacks.

In House:

7-Matt Leinart (6-5, 232, 5, USC---career stats to date: 57.1%, 14 TDs/20 INTs, 70.8 rating). By now Matt Leinart knows the system and knows what's fully expected of him. Scouts, Inc. had this to say about him prior to the 2009 season: "Has the physical tools to succeed, but jury is still out until he can prove he can read coverages consistently and avoid costly mistakes. Has good height and arm strength and enough mobility. When he sets his feet, he has a good delivery and enough short to intermediate accuracy to challenge most areas of the field."

In the second half of the Tennessee game this year, ML's one start, he did set his feet better and was delivering accurate short to intermediate throws. We've seen games where his mechanics are solid and he gets into a nice rhythm. When his mechanics slip, he tends to release the ball to throw off his back foot and prematurely release the ball which causes the nose of the football to rise, which results in high throws. There were times this year too where he threw the ball up deep into coverage.

There are other obstacles Leinart is going to have to overcome. First he will need to emerge as a leader in the huddle. Then he is going to have to develop similar rapports, timing and confidence levels with his WRs as Kurt Warner did. Warner was a genious at this, so Leinart gets some slack here---for these things take time.

But if Leinart shows he can hang in the pocket and deliver the ball consistently on target while bouncing up from the hits, he is going to win his teammates, the coaches and the fans over.

Leinart's contract situation in 2011 puts even more pressure on him this year if he expects to warrant being paid lucrative starter's money. It also puts a degree of pressure on the Cardinals because even if Leinart plays well this year, he could refuse to renegotiate a new contract and force his release or the Cardinals to have to pay him in the neighborhood of $ 12-14M in 2011, the last year of his contract. The other pressure this puts on the Cardinals is do they want to face a change at QB two years in a row?

Some pundits think that the Cardinals are just going to add a serviceable backup---no one who would put too much pressure on Leinart---and the Cardinals will draft a QB in April. That may be exactly what happens.

Yet, what if behind the scenes coach Whisenhunt is actually as skeptical of Leinart's prospects as Kurt Warner was in his pre-Super Bowl interviews?

From what we know about about Coach Whisenhunt and his penchant for creating competition up and down the roster, it would seem unlikely that he would merely add a serviceable backup.

In addition, there should be quite a flurry of interest from QBs and their agents in playing for the Cardinals.

Here are two lists...

Thus, try to pick 5 QBs from the each list that you think Whiz would make an effort to acquire. See if you can prioritize them (rank them 1-5). I will be back with my rankings. Note: some of the veteran players on this first list would have to be traded for and we can weigh the pros and cons on that...but for now, pick the ones that you think Whiz would be interested in.

Current NFL QBs that might be available through free agency, upcoming release or trade: (Ht., Wt., Upcoming Yr.)

Chad Pennington (6-3, 225, 10)
Kerry Collins (6-5, 245, 16)
Derek Anderson (6-6, 230, 6)
Trent Edwards (6-4, 231, 4)
Tyler Thigpen (6-2, 224, 4)
Brodie Croyle (6-2, 206, 5)
John Kitna (6-2, 220, 14)
David Carr (6-3, 217, 9)
Mike Vick (6-1, 225, 7)
Donovan McNabb (6-2, 240, 12)
Jason Campbell (6-5, 231, 6)
Daunte Culpepper (6-4, 260, 12)
Tarvaris Jackson (6-2, 225, 5)
Sage Rosenfels (6-4, 225, 10)
Chris Redman (6-3, 221, 7)
Byron Leftwich (6-5, 250, 8)
Marc Bulger (6-3, 212, 9)
Damon Huard (6-3, 218, 13)
Seneca Wallace (5-11, 205, 6)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (6-2, 225, 6)
Kellen Clemens (6-2, 223, 5)
Troy Smith (6-0, 215, 4)
Brady Quinn (6-3, 235, 4)
David Garrard (6-1, 245, 9)
Patrick Ramsey (6-2, 225, 9)
Chris Simms (6-4, 220, 8)
Jeff Garcia (6-1, 205, 11)
Billy Volek (6-2, 214, 11)
Kyle Orton (6-4, 216, 6)
Matt Hasselbeck (6-4, 225, 12)

2010 Draft Options:

Sam Bradford (6-4, 218, Oklahoma)
Jimmy Clausen (6-3, 217, Notre Dame)
Colt McCoy (6-3, 210, Texas)
Tim Tebow (6-3, 238, Florida)
Tony Pike (6-6, 215, Cincinnati)
Dan LeFevour (6-3, 228, Central Michigan)
Jevan Snead (6-3, 215, Mississippi)
Jarrett Brown (6-4, 220, West Virginia)
Tim Hiller (6-5, 228, Western Michigan)
Sean Canfield (6-4, 214, Oregon St.)
Zac Robinson (6-3, 212, Oklahoma St.)
Max Hall (6-1, 220, BYU)
John Skelton (6-5, 258, Fordham)
Jonathan Crompton (6-4, 228, Tennessee)
Ryan Perrilloux (6-2, 223, Jacksonville St.)
Tyler Sheehan (6-4, 227, Bowling Green)
Mike Kafka (6-3, 215, Northwestern)
Joe Webb (6-4, 220, UAB)
Daryll Clark (6-2, 232, Penn. St.)

If you were Whiz, what would you do? Explain your reasons.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This.

He's been here 4 years, been paid alot of money to learn behind Kurt, knows the sytem and personnel, fits a play action based offense, and Wiz has enough cred with the org and fans that no matter what Matt does in 2010, Wiz gets a couple more years to try someone else.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
It should be carefully noted that the talent the team currently has on offense is looking pretty solid for the next two years...but one has to wonder what may happen after that, especially seeing as Larry Fitzgerald has two years remaining on his contract---and thanks to crafty negotiating on his last deal---he cannot be issued the franchise tag.

First the franchise thing is not in his deal. The NFL did not allow it. It is why when we heard Fitz first signed his deal it took the league about a week to approve it. Changes had to be made to the contract. He is allowed to be franchised.

Second, we are in the same boat as the rest of the NFL. "what is going to happen in two years". In todays cap league two years is a lifetime.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Leinart the starter, Carr the back up--Palko or a rookie as #3

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Regardless of Kurt, if we don't succeed, we are not a good team. As you like to say, it's as simple as that. With Kurt, we also had seasons of 5-11, 5-11, and 8-8 on top of the two winning seasons. It was the entire team that struggled. Remember, there are 10 other offensive players and 11 other defensive players that take the field too. Last I checked, football is not track and field, it is the ultimate team sport.

I like to attribute our success more to Whisenhunt than Warner. He was the one that assembled this team together. Warner was just one of those players. Receivers had to catch those passes for him. Blockers had to block the pass rushers. Defensive players had to keep the opponent's offense off the field.

I could have made the same thread and it would only take one word to summarize what you said in about 3,000

Leinart

Last edited:

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Good post, Mitch, and happy Birthday!! If we could get Bradford in the 2nd rd and Whizz grabs him I'm all for it!! My question about Leinart is Will HE be The Guy to show up First in the morning and Go Home Last at night this time of the year? All off-season? That's what it will take For Leinart to be THE MAN we need him to be...

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
...do the Cardinals still consider themselves Super Bowl contenders, or do they start a rebuilding process?

It should be carefully noted that the talent the team currently has on offense is looking pretty solid for the next two years...but one has to wonder what may happen after that, especialy seeing as Larry Fitzgerald has two years remaining on his contract---and thanks to crafty negotiating on his last deal---he cannot be issued the franchise tag. Thus, if the Cardinals are going to win a Super Bowl with Fitz on the roster...they quite possibly will just have these two years to do it.

First, happy birthday, Mitch.

Second, I always appreciate your time and effort. You certainly have some great points, as well as thought provoking ideas.

But, I must say, what is going on with the negative slant lately? This post is not the only one.

The Cards, after 2 NFC West Crowns, still with a bunch of weak teams in the division, are not going into rebuilding mode. What is that anyway? Rebuilding mode is for teams that are in the Rams or Lions condition.

And Fitz: "They quite possibly will need to do it in the next 2 years". Exactly what has Fitz done or said that would make anyone think he is not willing to continue playing here. He has become a star here, and renegotiated to stay when he easily could have not signed that contract if he wanted to leave. Sure, he could leave, but there is nothing that would indicate that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question about Leinart is Will HE be The Guy to show up First in the morning and Go Home Last at night this time of the year? All off-season? That's what it will take For Leinart to be THE MAN we need him to be...[/COLOR]

Even if Leinart does all that, it does not mean he has the quick decision making skills to read opposing defenses and make accurate throws under pressure. If I were the Cardinals I would not be betting on Leinart to get the job done. The Cardinals definitely need another QB and I don't mean Brian St. Pierre.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Regardless of Kurt, if we don't succeed, we are not a good team. As you like to say, it's as simple as that. With Kurt, we also had seasons of 5-11, 5-11, and 8-8 on top of the two winning seasons. It was the entire team that struggled. Remember, there are 10 other offensive players and 11 other defensive players that take the field too. Last I checked, football is not track and field, it is the ultimate team sport.

I like to attribute our success more to Whisenhunt than Warner. He was the one that assembled this team together. Warner was just one of those players. Receivers had to catch those passes for him. Blockers had to block the pass rushers. Defensive players had to keep the opponent's offense off the field.

I could have made the same thread and it would only take one word to summarize what you said in about 3,000

Leinart

I totally agree with you. But I am sick and tired about hearing how most people don't have faith in Matt. He has been so mil-lined him. Matt will be fine he has the character, and talent to be a great QB in the NFL. He has sat around learning from Kurt without complaining. Can anyone on this forum ever state that about themselves.

BOBCAT

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, if it were up to me, I would try to bring in David Carr, UFA, Giants to compete with Leinart for the starting job, then draft a young QB late, or take one as a UDFA to begin grooming for the future. I like Sean Canfield out of Oregon State here.

Whiz has been VERY successful in creating competition to develop depth so far. Carr, in my opinion, would be an excellent choice, as he had an extremely good line of stats in his 6 games played in relief of Eli Manning this past season.

Carr is seasoned, can make all the throws, and was given a really bad deal when he broke in with the Texans, (or should I say was broken down), as he was sacked more often than Gold Medal flour was during the '40's. He knows how to read defenses and would make a great compliment to Leinart here, no matter which one wins the competition to start. (I would think that Leinart would have the advantage in that he knows the playbook already). Carr is 31 years old, and is savvy enough to lead this team if he can displace Leinart as the starter.

That smacks of good stuff to me. We get a seasoned starter AND a seasoned back-up no matter who wins the starting job, although I feel that Leinart is up to the task this time.

We just might be one of the few places that Carr might want to come to, as he would have a chance to become the starter. We should be able to pay him well enough to make the move attractive to him. We have much to offer:

1. A dome in the desert-----always cool and dry

2. A great place to spend the winter, (warm and sunny)

3. Great place to raise a family. Grandparents would love visiting in winter.

4. Great receiving corps, plus a young vibrant running tandem.

5. Very successful head coach who the players love.

6. Recent success with two divisional wins and a league championship.

Joeshmoe can probably set this straight, but I believe that, (being a top 8 team), we can sign one UFA, pretty much without regard to compensation. After that, we have to lose a FA in order to resign one, and the compensation package has to be close to what the leaving player's package was. If we can do this, then I believe we should make the signing of Carr a priority, (right after signing Whizenhunt to an extension). I believe that we should go after Carr with the intent to sign him away from New York, and to do, (within reason), whatever it takes to bring him into camp this year. We should have the money to do this with the savings of Warner's salary, plus the return of half his roster bonus to use to intice Carr if needed. This just might take care of our QB situation for several years.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I still like Chris Redman. Here's what Falcons fans had to say about him:

Chris Redman might be football's best backup QB in quite a while. In fact, for whatever DYAR's worth, Rojohombre was the 22nd best quarterback of 2009. Atlanta was the only team with two quarterbacks in the top 22 and one of only two teams with multiple QBs in the top 32 (Philly's Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb being the other).

Before drafting Matt Ryan, many of us (CONFESSION) wanted LSU DT Glenn Dorsey and were totally fine riding into battle with Chris Rougehomme at the reins. He played well for four of the last five games of The Year Of Which We Do Not Speak, giving us the slightest glimmer at the end of our darkest hour. Chris Rossosignore's 2007 Offensive Player of Week 17 award, earned by lighting up Seattle in a shootout win, was pretty much Petrino Bismol. And for that, we should be forever grateful.

When Ryan went down in week 12 of '09, Falcondom wasn't really crushed by a wave of panic. We knew Chris Nyekundumwanaume would hold it down. He's decisive, wields sufficient cannon, and doesn't make mistakes against teams that wear colors besides sea foam green. Sure, I think we would've beaten New Orleans in week 14 if Ryan had been healthy. But our backup kept us in the game for 60 minutes against the conference champs; you really can't ask for much more than that.

As a starting quarterback, you'd have to think of Chris as a C+. But considering his spot on the depth chart, acceptance of his role, good relationship with Ryan, and current salary...

However, I doubt Atlanta will let him get away unless some team really raises the ante for his services.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That 2011 $ for Matt Leinart is irrelevant. He's going to start this year and if he bombs then he'll be cut so obviously we wouldn't have to worry about the next year. If he plays well then he'll be extended in which he won't have that huge cap hit anymore. He would still get payed all that money, it'll just be structured different. If it's offered he WILL sign an extension, players almost always take the long term security over a 1 year payday.

As far as anyone thinking he might play it out and then leave in free agency, he hasn't been patiently waiting the last 2 years just to leave 1st chance he gets. Even if Boldin is traded between now and then he still has Fitz, Breaston and Doucet, he plays for Coach Whisenhunt who won a Superbowl as an OC and took the Cardinals to one as HC, Wells and Hightower in the backfield, he's close to LA which is not only where he grew up but is where his baby lives, he has the Scottsdale nightlife here, he's been working with John Lott who's one of the best at what he does plus all the other training advantages Arizona has to offer. What would he leave all that for, to play somewhere like Buffalo?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
What Whiz wants in a QB for his system is the arm strength, quick release and accuracy to fit the ball into tight windows if and when necessary. This is what Kurt Warner did so well, and few can do it as well as he did. Thus, when looking into the possible candidates and applying them to this criteria, here are the players that appear to best fit that bill:

1. Donovan McNabb (59.0, 216/100, 86.5). Per Scouts Inc.: "Elite athlete who still has strong arm. Good vision and instincts; good natural strength to break arm tackles---not easy to bring down." My own feeling is that McNabb would be revitalized in Arizona and would immediately provide the star power and the chemistry with Fitz, Q, Stevie, Early, Ben, TH and Beanie that would galvanize the offense.

Obviously, acquiring him would not be easy. I do believe the Eagles would trade him if they get the right offer (one that would include a 1st round pick, one would think). The other thing is, having lost to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game last year, the Eagles may be reluctant to trade McNabb to Arizona. But...if the price is right...and if the rumors are correct that the Eagles are planning to turn the reins over to Kevin Kolb, who knows?

2. Jason Campbell (61.2, 55/38, 82.3). Per Scouts Inc.: "Has progressed---patient in pocket to find 2nd and 3rd options. Can power the ball into tight windows or get it deep---shows good touch on shorter routes. Runs well for his size---very good red zone threat---has all the tools." I think Whiz would absolutely love to get his hands on this QB. Campbell has been inconsistent at times and, like Warner, holds the ball a bit too long at times, but Whiz sure helped Warner to improve in that area. What's most attractive is Campbell's red zone versatility---something that Whiz covets with a passion.

At this point it would appear that Mike Shanahan is going to stick with Campbell...but there seems to be strong speculation that Shanny may be looking at drafting Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen with the #4 pick, in which case Shanahan may be amenable to trading Campbell in order to add another high draft pick to use on an offensive tackle.

3. Kyle Orton (57.8, 51/39, 76.9). Per Scouts Inc.: "Good size and athletic ability. Strong arm---can make all the throws---can fit the ball into tight windows or toss it deep with accuracy---the question is whether he is a player who can carry a club---has matured in reading defenses." With the right coaching and in the right system I believe Orton can flourish. He's a very strong competitor and plays smart. May lack the sex appeal of some of the bigger throwers, but makes up for that with efficiency and grit. Was dinged up in the middle of this past season after he had the team rolling along very well early.

Josh McDaniels is very hard to predict. He hasn't exactly hailed Orton as his choice at QB...and I think that McDaniels may be looking at other candidates. Thus, there may be a chance to acquire Orton...especially if, in light of the Brandon Marshall situation, Anquan Boldin is a part of the deal.

4. Tyler Thigpen (54.4, 19/15, 73.8). Per Scouts Inc.: "Has adequate size for the position and is a good athlete who can move around the pocket. he has the strong arm to put the ball into tight windows. He has a tendency to force some passes and needs to work on reading the whole field and going through his progressions." Whenever I've watched Thigpen I have been impressed. He has a real bounce to his game and he gets crisp action on his passes. Obviously, he has only limited experience at this point and he does need to refine and hone his abilities, but has already shown in his first couple of years an ability to move the ball and finish drives.

Miami wants Boldin and has apparently been talking about offering a 3rd rounder for him. How about a 3rd rounder and Thigpen? I believe Bill Parcells would make this deal. He already has Chad Henne and Pat White and could make an effort to hold onto Chad Pennington as the backup. If the Cardinals like Thigpen enough, I think they would be tempted to make this deal as well, and would try to sign him to an incentive laden contract.

5. Tarvaris Jackson (58.7, 21/18, 77.9). Per Scouts Inc.: "Good size, strong arm, enough athleticism. He improved his reads and timimg late in the 2008 season and completed over 63% of his passes in a string of games down the stretch." I know I can get carried away by one particular performance...I was so impressed with the way he threw the ball versus the Cardinals at U of P late in 2008. What I saw was a solid strong armed pocket passer who showed both zip on throws into the intermediate zones over the middle and touch on fade passes up the sideline that were dropped perfectly into the WRs' hands in mid-stride. But, I also really liked the way he threw the ball at the Senior Bowl four years ago, so his performance at U of P did not surprise me.

I read an article this morning where Adrian Peterson was talking about the maturity he's seen in Jackson over the past two years and how confident he is in his abilities. Not sure if Brad Childress feels the same way, for he was leaning toward starting Sage Rosenfels before #4 arrived. Thus, perhaps Jackson could be moved, especially if Brett Favre is coming back...for Jackson will be an UFA in 2011. Again, if the Cardinals were to make a deal for him, I would expect they would sign him to a 3-4 year incentive laden contract.

Note: there are some accurate throwers potentially available who do not have the arm strength to power the ball into tight windows, and if the Cardinals do not make a move to get a QB who can, they might consider the following: Chris Redman (56.7, 21/13, 79.3); Chad Pennington (66.1, 102/64, 90.1); and Trent Edwards (61.3, 24/25, 77.9). According to Scouts Inc: "Redman relies on accuracy more than arm strength"..."Pennington is one of the most accurate passers in the league and understands his limitations---rarely forces the ball into coverage" (although there is still concern over his shoulder)...and "Edwards can make all the throws with accuracy but isn't capable of powering the ball into tight windows."

It was very interesting to read what Scouts Inc. wrote about David Carr (59.8, 65/70, 75.2). They lauded his physical abilities...termed him streaky..and showed a great deal of concern about how he seems to throw from all different arm angles, which causes the WRs to have to adjust to many of his passes. But, hey, Kurt Warner could change his arm angles when needed...but his passes remained so much on target they were easy to catch. I do think that Carr, because of his arm strength and size would be on Whiz's radar if Carr is looking elsewhere, unlike last year when he chose to forgo looking at starting positions in favor of remaining the backup in New York.

I cannot see Whiz being interested in any of the following QBs, due to lack of accuracy or arm strength: Daunte Culpepper, Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn, Brodie Croyle, Sage Rosenfels, Troy Smith, or Mike Vick.

As for the college QBs: here are the top five based on the previous criteria (with comments from Matt McGuire of Walter's Football):

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma. Great accuracy, very quick release.
2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame. Very good arm strength, extremely quick snappy release, can fit the ball into tight windows.
3. Jevan Snead, Misissippi. Big-time arm, can thread a needle, very quick release, but forced too many passes and should have stayed in school.
4. Jarret Brown, West Virginia. Strong arm, quick release. NFL Comparison: Tarvaris Jackson.
5. Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee. Loved the way he played down the stretch...really started to come into his own...big arm, can power the ball.

Those QB with questionable arm strength or delivery: Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, Dan LeFevour, Tim Hiller, Zac Robinson, and Max Hall.

Three QBs to keep an eye on later on in the draft, IMO:

1. Sean Canfield, Oregon St. Has good size, is very accurate and has better arm strength than some realize.
2. Mike Kafka, Northwestern. Had a great senior season playing an uptempo game...didn't play much before then (neither did another #13: Kurt Warner). Completed 16 passes in a row to start one game, ran for 217 yards versus Minnesota and passed for 525 yards versus Auburn in the Outback Bowl (4 TDs, 5 INTs).
3. John Skelton, Fordham. Big, strong kid with rocket arm but, due to being exceptionally raw, will likely need a few years of grooming.

MY Prediction:

Tyler Thigpen, Jevan Snead (3rd Round), and Mike Kafka (7th Round).

Thigpen will compete for the starting job with Matt Leinart and Snead will be the #3 with Kafka serving a year on the PS.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What would he leave all that for, to play somewhere like Buffalo?

No but he might for Seattle where the Coach that knows him the best and who he achieved all his success with is now coaching. We can’t worry about that though. As we shift to a more balanced offence I predict a serviceable season where he doesn't hurt us but doesn't do anything that results in anything more than a reasonable new contract offer and no over-the-top suitors to keep him from signing it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acquire Trent Edwards, if at all possible. All QBs look bad in Buffalo. Late round draft, or sign as undrafted FA, Riley Skinner, of Wake Forest. Reminds me of young Marc Bulger but very elusive. Would make a nice #3 and eventual #2. Same size as Brees. He will be at the NFL scouting combine.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Acquire Trent Edwards, if at all possible. All QBs look bad in Buffalo. Late round draft, or sign as undrafted FA, Riley Skinner, of Wake Forest. Reminds me of young Marc Bulger but very elusive. Would make a nice #3 and eventual #2. Same size as Brees. He will be at the NFL scouting combine.

Great points, Wally!

I read in the paper this morning that Chan Gailey is now thinking he will not draft a QB in the 1st round in favor of sticking with Edwards.

Edwards is smooth...and he can be particularly accurate on third down completions. But, can he hold up physically?

It's interesting you mentioned Riley Skinner and I think your Bulger comparison is a very good one. Put him in John Lott's program and groom him and who knows? He had a disappointing senior year, but one thing he's very good at is running the two minute drill, as he has won several games at the ends of games in stunning fahsion.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great points, Wally!

I read in the paper this morning that Chan Gailey is now thinking he will not draft a QB in the 1st round in favor of sticking with Edwards.

Edwards is smooth...and he can be particularly accurate on third down completions. But, can he hold up physically?

It's interesting you mentioned Riley Skinner and I think your Bulger comparison is a very good one. Put him in John Lott's program and groom him and who knows? He had a disappointing senior year, but one thing he's very good at is running the two minute drill, as he has won several games at the ends of games in stunning fahsion.

actually, I thought his senior yr was better, statistically better than his junior year. Team didn't do as well. Maybe they missed Curry on D.

His numbers for 2009 were;

Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SAC RAT
2006 171 260 2051 65.8 7.89 59 9 5 23 139.61
2007 236 326 2204 72.4 6.76 62 12 13 24 133.36
2008 232 363 2347 63.9 6.47 58 13 7 30 126.19
2009 264 400 3160 66.0 7.90 80 25 12 28 146.99

Somehow or another, an off field issue has popped up. Don't know if it is real or not.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
actually, I thought his senior yr was better, statistically better than his junior year. Team didn't do as well. Maybe they missed Curry on D.

His numbers for 2009 were;

Stats Overview Passing
YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SAC RAT
2006 171 260 2051 65.8 7.89 59 9 5 23 139.61
2007 236 326 2204 72.4 6.76 62 12 13 24 133.36
2008 232 363 2347 63.9 6.47 58 13 7 30 126.19
2009 264 400 3160 66.0 7.90 80 25 12 28 146.99

Somehow or another, an off field issue has popped up. Don't know if it is real or not.

Thanks for the stats, they do look improved from year to year.

Yeah, Skinner posed for naked pictures that he apparently was trying to sell to classmates and over the internet. Not sure how that impacted his draft status. Funny but he rarely gets mentioned by anyone.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the stats, they do look improved from year to year.

Yeah, Skinner posed for naked pictures that he apparently was trying to sell to classmates and over the internet. Not sure how that impacted his draft status. Funny but he rarely gets mentioned by anyone.

I suspect Riley suffers from "ACC has no offense" disease. Big name QBs don't come out of that league. Rivers was considered over rated when he came out, and Michael Vick is not a typical QB. Schaub was a 3rd rounder. Other than that, it is tough to find an ACC QB on an NFL roster. The ACC does not play offense well enough to be considered a QB cradle.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I actually like Trent Edwards as well. You need a cannon for an arm to push the ball through the pounding wind that, that Buffalo stadium creates on a daily basis.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually like Trent Edwards as well. You need a cannon for an arm to push the ball through the pounding wind that, that Buffalo stadium creates on a daily basis.

What about the other 8 games a year? Do you have a breakdown showing him to perform far better outside of Buffalo?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
What about the other 8 games a year? Do you have a breakdown showing him to perform far better outside of Buffalo?

2009 Home -

Comp % - 58%
Yards per attempt - 5.4
Rating - 82

2009 Away -

Comp % - 62%
Yards Per Attempt - 7.6
Rating - 94

Its a pretty drastic difference. His comp % went up by 4 points even though he was throwing the ball much further down the field per attempt. When you yards per attempt goes up your comp% usually does down.

Similar story in 2008

2008 Home -

Comp % - 64%
Yards per attempt - 6.9
Rating - 80

2008 Away -

Comp % - 68%
Yards Per Attempt - 7.6
Rating - 92

After doing that little analysis I hope Buffalo cuts him even more now. I think someone will be getting a very decent QB if they picked him up.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2009 Home -

Comp % - 58%
Yards per attempt - 5.4
Rating - 82

2009 Away -

Comp % - 62%
Yards Per Attempt - 7.6
Rating - 94

Its a pretty drastic difference. His comp % went up by 4 points even though he was throwing the ball much further down the field per attempt. When you yards per attempt goes up your comp% usually does down.

Similar story in 2008

2008 Home -

Comp % - 64%
Yards per attempt - 6.9
Rating - 80

2008 Away -

Comp % - 68%
Yards Per Attempt - 7.6
Rating - 92

After doing that little analysis I hope Buffalo cuts him even more now. I think someone will be getting a very decent QB if they picked him up.

Knew I could count on you. That is pretty drastic.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Edwards ability to play QB has never been an issue, just his ability to play football. coming out of high school he was the top rated QB prospect and recruited by most major schools. Unfortunately he was injured 3 out of 4 years in college, he would have been a first round pick if not for that. Very intelligent and has great physical tools. IF he becomes available then I'd be far more interested in him than any other name that's been mentioned.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

I disagree with Edwards. He is known as "Captain Checkdown" amongst Bills fans. His cons are he has trouble reading defenses and throws to the first receiver open, who is usually the one in the flats. His release is rather slow and his durability is in question (just ask A-dubb).

He does have a big arm I'll admit, but he has not honed his talents since being in the league.

They have had some good receivers in Buffalo. Lee Evans, James Hardy, Josh Reed and even T.O. With that corp, there really is no excuse for his struggles.

We are talking about the same guy that was benched for Fitzpatrick

Last edited: