Ossenfort and Free Agency

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I actually think we will be more aggressive than less. But what does that (aggressive) mean to you?

Do we sign a top 5 free agent and consider that aggressive, I don't think so.
Do we sign at least 2 people that would start on more than half of the teams in this league, and probably at least one more starter for the Cards? I do. I think that is pretty aggressive, don't you?
Aggressive for the Cards, yes. Two FA periods, not by half.

Stout

Reaction score
There is a lot validity to that. Most of their history, they have been the poorest franchise in the league. That isn't a surprise.

They did spend big on JJ Watt even though it was a two year deal. The Cards aren't immune to free agent signings.

You don't think that we sign at least one above average starter in free agency? If so, wager?
K9 made an excellent point. Who replaced JJ Watt? That's 3 defensive starters that walked, 2 on the interior DL, without being replaced. We have to replace all 3 before we are even at the year before last's status quo. That is freaking depressing.

Reactions: PJ1

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K9 made an excellent point. Who replaced JJ Watt? That's 3 defensive starters that walked, 2 on the interior DL, without being replaced. We have to replace all 3 before we are even at the year before last's status quo. That is freaking depressing.
We were never going replace him last year considering the state of our franchise at the time. Plus it is almost impossible to replace a player like JJ.
Besides, not every player that leaves is replaced. Sometimes resources are spent elsewhere. (granted that didn't happen last year, but we know why)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I actually think we will be more aggressive than less. But what does that (aggressive) mean to you?

Do we sign a top 5 free agent and consider that aggressive, I don't think so.
Do we sign at least 2 people that would start on more than half of the teams in this league, and probably at least one more starter for the Cards? I do. I think that is pretty aggressive, don't you?
Personally, my guess is most people will be disappointed with this FA class. That will be influenced by their mediocre FA class last year (and the year before but different GM). It is one reason I hope to see some extensions from Monti for the players on the roster who "fit". Give me Froholdt, Hernandez, and White extensions, a Conner extension, and I care a little less about Fletcher Cox getting a one or two year deal as our big FA signing. It at least implies the Cardinals are building towards something, and not every move is just a bandaid covered in hope.

A FA class of Fro, White, Daley, and Pascal looks a little different if Fro and White get a 2nd contract vs all four being FAs in 2025.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The biggest potential pitfall of 2024 for Monti will be the Budda Baker situation. They probably should not extend him more than 1 year. That said, if they cut him and miss out on any potential pro bowl level FA, it will be a really bad look.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Okay. I have to give you that one. It definitely seems to be an outlier, I think we can agree to that.

Even so, look at that list.
Other than Judon and probably Henry, it doesn't look like money well spent. It shows the point of spending, just to spend isn't a good strategy. They didn't exactly light the world on fire with that 137.5M spent.

Matthew Judon, LB$32M
Jonnu Smith, TE$31.25M
Hunter Henry, TE$25M
Nelson Agholor, WR$16M
Deatrich Wise Jr., DE$10M
Jalen Mills, S$9M
Davon Godchaux, DT$9M
Kendrick Bourne, WR$5.25M
Total$137.5M
Oh, I agree it was wasted money...just like the Dolphins who set the FA record the year before in 2020.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Schoolyard reasoning. Please do better lol
He came off as aggressive, but he’s not completely wrong.

Give some examples of you who you want Monti to go after. I know you’re not lazy to do that.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm going to attempt to control my depression (yoga, drugs, alcohol, I'll find something) if we don't sign a first-ballot Hall of Famer this offseason. Still, I feel reasonably confident we'll have a DT who creates numbers approaching those of Allen for less than $15m per season and a CB for less than $10m.

Last year's status quo was a 4-win team with the arrow pointing down.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nobody. But I believe we were still paying him no?
I don't think we're paying him but we're still accounting for guarantees and void years. I believe he re-did his deal so that he could be designated a June 1 casualty.

I'm 100% certain we're still paying Colt McCoy and Zach Ertz.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You realize with a terrible team you actually want to build on the talent you already have, not just replace them. If you’re only replacing those guys (and as of yet, those two guys haven’t even done that yet), then you’re still going to have gaping holes at the other CB/D-Linemen position.

What you’re advocating for is treading water. Something this franchise has done forever and why we’re consistently bad.
No. We did what we had to do last year. This is a new year and a foundation has been laid.
Last year at this time we didn’t even own the land. If we do nothing or barely nothing this off season I’ll be banging the drum of not accepting suckage.
You want to lament about a move or two YOU think we should have made. Have at it.
I choose to watch the coming attractions instead of tired old reruns.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we're paying him but we're still accounting for guarantees and void years. I believe he re-did his deal so that he could be designated a June 1 casualty.

I'm 100% certain we're still paying Colt McCoy and Zach Ertz.
Just maybe that had something to do with the way the former GM operated.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

That is what happens in a

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Monti had to get rid of all the rotten stench from this roster and Keim's "captains" and loser draft picks.

To re-build a house the right way, you have to start at the foundation. It sucks, its painful, its expensive, but you have to do it if you want to do it the right way long term (not purgatory).

I couldn't be more optimistic based on what I feel is Monti's strategy and JG's leadership/coaching ability.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot validity to that. Most of their history, they have been the poorest franchise in the league. That isn't a surprise.

They did spend big on JJ Watt even though it was a two year deal. The Cards aren't immune to free agent signings.

You don't think that we sign at least one above average starter in free agency? If so, wager?
You would certainly think we would go for at least "one". But, I would not call one above average starter spending "big" in free agency.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would certainly think we would go for at least "one". But, I would not call one above average starter spending "big" in free agency.
I also said that I think that they will sign at least 2 starters that would start for over half of the teams and sign at least another starter. That is what I would consider aggressive.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also said that I think that they will sign at least 2 starters that would start for over half of the teams and sign at least another starter. That is what I would consider aggressive.
By our standards? Yes. I would like to see that.

Stout

Reaction score
We were never going replace him last year considering the state of our franchise at the time. Plus it is almost impossible to replace a player like JJ.
Besides, not every player that leaves is replaced. Sometimes resources are spent elsewhere. (granted that didn't happen last year, but we know why)
Well, when it's a starting CB and 2 starting IDL, not replacing them guts your roster on defense.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well, when it's a starting CB and 2 starting IDL, not replacing them guts your roster on defense.
Agreed. While I think they replaced Murphy, just as soon as the rooks develop,... We are in desperate need of big men. I like Stills but I would like to see us add 1or 2 vets... Then a first and third rounder....and maybe some 340lb 6th rounder from some school I've never heard of...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My perspective. Allen and Murphy left and have been replaced by Still and Williams for way less money while gaining experience.
Any player signed last year ( for longer than a year) would have reduced our available cap this year. Thus more available money this year.
Except you start two corners and multiple defensive linemen. So all four could have been starters. So two holes instead of none.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22