OT:Marty Fired!!!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Just came across ESPN.com breaking news. Pretty bad for the chargers to do this so late in the game. Im sure Dallas is kicking themselves picking Wade now.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Mort is reporting it, its on espn.com's main page. Im working on getting a link to a story

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Heres the Story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updated: Feb. 12, 2007, 9:13 PM ET
Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired

ESPN.com news services
http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=...anner_id=espngeneric011920070bgen5146x0462500
Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sdg"]San Diego Chargers[/URL] said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.
With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Beat me to it ...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think SD waited too long to do this if it was their intention all along .. now they have empty cupboards all around ...

Somebody will end up getting a really good coach in Marty ... I bet Jerry is kicking himself in the rear now ...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Statement from Chargers President Dean Spanos

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.

“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.

“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm not surprised at the firing, I'm surprised at the timing. Marty was dragged kicking and bitching into fielding a good team by the San Diego GM.

He then orchestrated his own firing by refusing an extention, thereby
guaranteeing his assistants would scatter and no new assistants would agree to work for a coach with only one year left on his contract.

Hey, maybe Whiz knew this was coming and had his sights set on a Chargers coach to be our new DL coach?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If true, San Diego is imploding.
There goes their shot at the Superbowl next year. I don't care who their coach is, there seems to be A LOT of instablility in this front office. This move can not be good for them.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As long as they don't hire Denny Green. That would suck as the Chargers happen to be my second favorite team. However, firing Marty this late in the game, Green may be a viable option. With the talent already on that team, Green may actually be able to restart his career.

Last edited:

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
San Diego will be fine they prob have as much if not more talent than anybody in the league and are still a Super Bowl caliber team there will be plenty of coaches that will want to go there top assistants else where, but I wouldn be suprised to see one of the top college coaches get that job... Bob Stoops maybe even Caroll with the upcoming sanctions against USC this may be the job that will be good enough to get him to jump...

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as they don't hire Denny Green. That would suck as the Chargers happen to be my second favorite team. However, firing Marty this late in the game, Green may be a viable option. With the talent already on that team, Green may actually be able to restart his career.
Denny to coach SD ...??? well he already lives there .. I guess thats a plus ..

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regardless of his playoff failures, Marty is a very good HC. He has been a winner everywhere he's gone & unless he retires, he will win again. I like the guy.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regardless of his playoff failures, Marty is a very good HC. He has been a winner everywhere he's gone & unless he retires, he will win again. I like the guy.
even though i dont like you, i do like marty. the skins screwed him, he was doing well there. and if you look at his playoff loses, many were flukes that were beyond his control. ps PAcards-- you are ugly

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Am I needlessly worried that we'd possible lose Grimm to a HC position or does some kind of contract he signed prohibit this? (fingers crossed)

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I love Wiz as much as the next guy, but I really wish they fired him earlier. Marty would be a great fit in Arizona.