OT: Raiders lose Gallery to calf tear

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy.

Already under fire after a dismal performance in the team's opening game shutout loss, the Oakland Raiders offensive line has suffered another setback, as starting left tackle Robert Gallery has a partially torn calf muscle that likely will sideline him 2-to-3 weeks and perhaps longer.

Gallery
The injury occurred during practice on Wednesday, and a Thursday MRI exam revealed the tear.

Sixth-year veteran Chad Slaughter, a journeyman who has made just 28 career appearances and whose only other start came in 2003, will move into the lineup at left tackle for the game against the Baltimore Ravens. Coach Art Shell considered moving left guard Barry Sims back to tackle, the position at which he started for the past five seasons, but he wanted to reduce the number of switches on a unit already shell-shocked by last week's results, a 27-0 home loss to the San Diego Chargers.

The Ravens shut out the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their opener and the defense, which employed a heavy dose of blitzes and forced Chris Simms into three interceptions, played very aggressively. Baltimore figured to blitz embattled Raiders quarterback Aaron Brooks heavily even with Gallery in the lineup and may turn up the heat even more now against a line that surrendered nine sacks last week.

Slaughter, 28, has not played extensively in any season of his career. He replaced an injured Gallery in the 2005 season finale and played surprisingly well against New York Giants star Michael Strahan. Said Shell: "Chad is a battler."

The calf injury represents the latest setback for Gallery, who has not yet lived up to his reputation as the second player chosen overall in the 2004 draft. The former University of Iowa star was lauded as on of the top left tackle prospects of the past decade when he entered the league. But he played primarily at right tackle, and some at guard, in his first two seasons and struggled noticeably at times.

This spring, in revamping the entire offensive line, Shell decided to move Gallery to the left side and to bump Sims, the long-time starter there, to guard. Gallery has started in 32 of his 33 career appearances and, even though the tear to his calf is not total, such injuries are dicey and often require more recovery time than initially suggested.

By inserting Slaughter into the lineup, the Oakland unit will remain intact at its other four spots, with Sims at left guard, Jake Grove at center, rookie third-round choice Paul McQuistan at right guard and Langston Walker at right tackle. That relative stability may not help, however, unless the Raiders' line raises the level of its play.

"Obviously, we're not going to win many games with the way we played [last week]," Sims acknowledged.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a possibility of addition by subtraction. He didn't look very good vs. the Chargers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Seems like a possibility of addition by subtraction. He didn't look very good vs. the Chargers.

Yep Slaughter may not have much hype but he can't be much worse than Gallery was.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This team needs to hire a gm, trade Randy Moss & Jerry Porter and start from scratch. They are horrible.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
How nice would it be to play the Raiders right about now? Who will eventually be worse, the Raiders or the Packers? Do they play each other?

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
This team needs to hire a gm, trade Randy Moss & Jerry Porter and start from scratch. They are horrible.

I've been thinking exactly that. Moss still has great trade value, IMO.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
How nice would it be to play the Raiders right about now? Who will eventually be worse, the Raiders or the Packers? Do they play each other?

All I know is that the Cardinals play both of them on the road and we get to play SF again this year on the road. This is good news for us.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ask for a first rounder, and maybe a later pick, then move on. You are doing both your team and Randy Moss a disservice by keeping him on a team that can't get him the ball. Ask for a 2nd for Jerry Porter and you are set.

The only problem that surfaces is that the Raiders have been arguably the worst drafting team the last 3 years.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Seeing as how we play the Raiders this year (AFC West vs NFC West), there is no chance for a Raiders-Packers matchup this year. As bad as Green Bay looked against Chicago, I don't think I've ever seen a team look as bad as Oakland did the other day.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Lloydian said:
Seeing as how we play the Raiders this year (AFC West vs NFC West), there is no chance for a Raiders-Packers matchup this year. As bad as Green Bay looked against Chicago, I don't think I've ever seen a team look as bad as Oakland did the other day.
I agree. I have never seen a NFL team play as bad as the Raider offense on Monday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
Ask for a first rounder, and maybe a later pick, then move on. You are doing both your team and Randy Moss a disservice by keeping him on a team that can't get him the ball. Ask for a 2nd for Jerry Porter and you are set.

The only problem that surfaces is that the Raiders have been arguably the worst drafting team the last 3 years.

People are letting Moss off too easy here didn't you see all those replays of Moss jogging while his QB was getting sacked? The point was supposed to be all the deep routes with no protection but tell me how many of those plays was Moss running let alone running all out? Remember the play where he put his hand up and waved after the ball had already come out? The announcers called him on that one immediately he's showing up Brooks the ball was already gone don't wave your hand now because you weren't open when he threw the ball.

Moss is a very bad influence on those young players, Porter was a headcase before Moss ever arrived, he and Gruden hated each other that's why Gruden never played him, but all the talk about Moss being a model citizen is based on the theory that if they talk nice maybe he'll play hard, and if he doesn't maybe they can trade him. If they come out and blast him, his trade value drops and he won't play any harder because he's not self motivated.

The Raiders blew it on Gallery for sure and so far Grove has been a disappointment but they have made some other nice picks including Howard the LB this year and I think Huff will be a very good player too, even the Ravens Billick came out and said they would have taken Huff (instead of Ngata) had he fallen to them. But Gallery was just a colossal mistake they took him over Fitz, Rivers, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, DeAngelo Hall, about the only guy they passed on who's not a better player yet is Winslow and he's not been playing until this year.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Few are as haunted as I concerning the ghost of Robert Gallery.

Iowa faithful were stunned that he hasn't developed into the wall he was in college.

He gets pushed around, a lot his back is always arched towards the QB and he just doesn't look, well, right.

As a fan of his college days, I hope he gets better, but in the mean time, it does look like he can only go up.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
SuperSpck said:
Few are as haunted as I concerning the ghost of Robert Gallery.

Iowa faithful were stunned that he hasn't developed into the wall he was in college.

He gets pushed around, a lot his back is always arched towards the QB and he just doesn't look, well, right.

As a fan of his college days, I hope he gets better, but in the mean time, it does look like he can only go up.
He needs to get his "juice" back. Rumors were rampant that he was a steroid boy when he was at Iowa.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing worse than someone who lives in Iowa is someone who lives in Minnesota.

I agrew with what most here have said, Oakland should trade away their assets like Porter and Moss and start over. The need young players that Art Shell can mold instead of the jaded malcontents they have.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Assface said:
The only thing worse than someone who lives in Iowa is someone who lives in Minnesota.

Was that a shot?

That was a shot!

Man...

I'm all sad now.

I thought we were buddies!

Well, at least I'm not a digitized boxer! Yah! YAH! Digital boxing head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05