OT: Von Miller and Elvis Dumervill: QB's worst nightmare

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man, I was watching the Broncos and Seahawks game and that combo of Miller and Dumervill is downright scary. Warren Sapp was commenting on Miller and saying that he hasn't seen a guy come off the edge with that type of explosion since watching Derek Thomas. It was early in the 3rd quarter when I turned off the TV and Miller already had 2.5 sacks and a bunch of pressures. Dumervill was also bringing it all night.

What shocked me the most was how big Miller now looks. He is everybit as thick as Dumervill and Dumervill is listed at close to 260 lbs.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Nah, Miller is too small to play LB!

In all seriousness I wanted him badly, damn you Denver. Peterson looked great last night but damn our pass rush sucks.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If only we had lost to Denver last season, he'd be a Cardinal.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nah, Miller is too small to play LB!

In all seriousness I wanted him badly, damn you Denver. Peterson looked great last night but damn our pass rush sucks.

Where is K-9 to tell us that Miller wouldn't amount to anything.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I was contemplating this, because I know the cards listed Peterson as the BPA. If the cards 'did' have the 2nd choice in the draft, would they have taken miller, or still gone with Peterson? One can wonder....

Wild Cats

Reaction score
Miller is good, but I just read that the Seahawks new RT Carpenter was getting beat like a rented mule prior to last night's game, too.

Black T

Reaction score
I really liked Miller pre draft. Kept going back and forth between PP and Von.

Came to 2 conclusions:

Stud LBs come along every few years. Stud CBs are rare. In that sense PP was the better pick.

I was really,REALLY turned off by Millers " I want to be a Cowboy" talk. You all probably seen that interview where he said flat out " I hope the cowbooys make a move an come and get me" etc. That may be the dumbest thing ive ever heard out of a rookie ever. I really thought he was smarter than that. The odds of Dallas getting him were 1 in a million, why the heck would you say something like that? stupid.

Im happy with PP

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I really liked Miller pre draft. Kept going back and forth between PP and Von.

Came to 2 conclusions:

Stud LBs come along every few years. Stud CBs are rare. In that sense PP was the better pick.

I was really,REALLY turned off by Millers " I want to be a Cowboy" talk. You all probably seen that interview where he said flat out " I hope the cowbooys make a move an come and get me" etc. That may be the dumbest thing ive ever heard out of a rookie ever. I really thought he was smarter than that. The odds of Dallas getting him were 1 in a million, why the heck would you say something like that? stupid.

Im happy with PP
He went to Texas A&M and a texas fan favorite, nothing wrong with that. Just like if Vontaze Burfict came out and said "I want to be a Cardinal", would you seriously hold that against him? probably not...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like if Vontaze Burfict came out and said "I want to be a Cardinal", would you seriously hold that against him? probably not...

But Vontaze wouldnt say he wants to be a Cardinal since technically he isnt from AZ.. He is from Cali.. So he would prolly say he wants to be a Raider.. Which would fall right in line with his wacko ass..

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
But Vontaze wouldnt say he wants to be a Cardinal since technically he isnt from AZ.. He is from Cali.. So he would prolly say he wants to be a Raider.. Which would fall right in line with his wacko ass..
Majority of his fan base is from ASU however, which is the largest college in the country mind you. Besides, when is the last time a quality all AZ product has gone to the NFL and been great, Zach Miller and Todd Heap? Both of which said they wanted to play for the cards when being drafted also....:)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Majority of his fan base is from ASU however, which is the largest college in the country mind you. Besides, when is the last time a quality all AZ product has gone to the NFL and been great, Zach Miller and Todd Heap? Both of which said they wanted to play for the cards when being drafted also....:)

Terrell Suggs..

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Then we might not have Kolb because we couldn't afford to trade DRC. You can't draft everybody and anyway I think we already had guys who will be better than that goofy aggie Miller .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Please stop. Make no mistake that Von Miller is a different player for Denver than he would be for Arizona. Miller's biggest weakness out of college was his strength. In Arizona, playing OLB in a 3-4, he would be battling that weakness trying to stack and shed OT's. IN Denver he plays WOLB in a 4-3 where is protected by a DE who takes on the tackle freeing up Miller to match up with smaller TE's and RB's. This diminishes Miller's lack of strength, and frees him to play with the speed that makes him so special.

Apples and oranges people. Defensive schemes matter.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Please stop. Make no mistake that Von Miller is a different player for Denver than he would be for Arizona. Miller's biggest weakness out of college was his strength. In Arizona, playing OLB in a 3-4, he would be battling that weakness trying to stack and shed OT's. IN Denver he plays WOLB in a 4-3 where is protected by a DE who takes on the tackle freeing up Miller to match up with smaller TE's and RB's. This diminishes Miller's lack of strength, and frees him to play with the speed that makes him so special.

Apples and oranges people. Defensive schemes matter.

While I agree & wasn't a big Miller supporter, his sacks came when he lined up on the edge & he beat the OT 1 on 1, whith pure speed.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
While I agree & wasn't a big Miller supporter, his sacks came when he lined up on the edge & he beat the OT 1 on 1, whith pure speed.
I've watched 2 Denver games, and have seen Miller get 4 sacks, plus a ton of QB hurries. In essence they're running a 3-4 with Miller as the rush OLB, and he's destroying the OT's practically every time. It's a ridiculous argument to say 'he wouldnt be as good in AZ', because he would be lined up 1 vs 1 on the OT just like he is in Denver, and would get the exact same results. It's water under the bridge, but I expect Miller to get at least 10 sacks this year. Mark it down :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've watched 2 Denver games, and have seen Miller get 4 sacks, plus a ton of QB hurries. In essence they're running a 3-4 with Miller as the rush OLB, and he's destroying the OT's practically every time. It's a ridiculous argument to say 'he wouldnt be as good in AZ', because he would be lined up 1 vs 1 on the OT just like he is in Denver, and would get the exact same results. It's water under the bridge, but I expect Miller to get at least 10 sacks this year. Mark it down :)

It's a useless argument anyhow. This isn't like passing on A. Peterson for Levi Brown. We never had a chance to get Miller. Before the draft I predicted we would be lucky to have a shot at either Miller or PP7, much less have to chose between the two.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
It's a useless argument anyhow. This isn't like passing on A. Peterson for Levi Brown. We never had a chance to get Miller. Before the draft I predicted we would be lucky to have a shot at either Miller or PP7, much less have to chose between the two.
I still think if Miller had been available somehow, the Cards were dead set on getting PP. They had that DRC trade planned the minute they called PP's name in NY. In terms of value, I had Miller as the top choice for the cards, with PP very close behind. Again, useless argument, but I'm curious to see how productive Miller will be considering the Cards need a OLB more than anything imo.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I still think if Miller had been available somehow, the Cards were dead set on getting PP. They had that DRC trade planned the minute they called PP's name in NY. In terms of value, I had Miller as the top choice for the cards, with PP very close behind. Again, useless argument, but I'm curious to see how productive Miller will be considering the Cards need a OLB more than anything imo.

I agree PP was the pick even if Miller was available. DRC was already as good as gone to Philly.