LT RT

Here's me: :wave: ^

At least this is how I remember it.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I doubt KVB or anyone associated with the team would say anything other than "Kyle is going to have a monster year".

I agree with what you said in reply to what you thought I said but you misunderstood me a little.

The point is not them saying "he will have a monster year", the point is that he appears to be much stonger and faster this year than last. That much they can and do measure.

While that translate into a monster year, we can but hope. In fairness that is what I have heard not that he will have "Monster year" but that based on his physical improvement, "They hope he will have a monster year.

That does seem to be reasonably objective.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I think he gets 4 sacks due to the fact that he will double teamed if no one else on the line steps up. If bryant and KVB have good years than the sack totals go up is they have bad years he might only have 2 or 3 sacks. Nobody on this line is proven so that is why i guessed 4 figuring that KVB does not have a good year but bryant has a decent season with around 4 or 5 sacks at DT. Playing time is also a factor. What happens when DJ and Wakefield goes in and when Bryant moves to end on 3rd down? Pace might not be in on every down. A bunch of variables will decide his sack total.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
I agree with what you said in reply to what you thought I said but you misunderstood me a little.

The point is not them saying "he will have a monster year", the point is that he appears to be much stonger and faster this year than last. That much they can and do measure.

While that translate into a monster year, we can but hope. In fairness that is what I have heard not that he will have "Monster year" but that based on his physical improvement, "They hope he will have a monster year.

That does seem to be reasonably objective.
OK, I agree with that 100%.

By all logic and indication, KVB will be more ready this year because his injury is healed and he's in better shape. So I think it's fair to say he's "poised" to have a monster year. Whether or not he does so will be seen soon enough.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Who cares

He can have zero for all I care. Just as long as he is giving the QB nicotine stains, and hurrying his passes!

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gut tells me 2 but that may be a little low.

4 sacks at the most.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
agreed.

hhahaha ok well now we're picking nits.........2 or 4 isn't really much of a difference. I think we can agree that if it's less than 5 it won't represent a <b>major</b> boost to our pass rush.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will take the over on Pace.

He should play on every down, which will give him ample opportunity to beat 6 sacks.

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
I will take the over on Pace.

He should play on every down, which will give him ample opportunity to beat 6 sacks.

I disagree. If he plays every down, how are D Johnson and Wakefield going to get on the field? KVB is more likely to play every down.

Pace, a rookie who lacks a bit of size for a DE, is much more likely to see rotation.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See I think D. Johnson will come in for KVB on passing downs.

Wakefield will play only to spell someone or if an injury happens...that is IF he can even beat out King.

I am willing to bet that Pace plays more of the snaps than any other DE.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. If he plays every down, how are D Johnson and Wakefield going to get on the field? KVB is more likely to play every down.

Pace, a rookie who lacks a bit of size for a DE, is much more likely to see rotation.

Ok Ed where and the heck did you get the idea that he lacks the size to be an every down DE???

Oh and Im sorry the less I see Wakefield on the field unless its as a DT on passing downs then the better off well be!

I bet anyone a beer that Pace will be the fulltime DE opposite KVB come seasons start. With DJ as the primary guy giving breathers!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Ok Ed where and the heck did you get the idea that he lacks the size to be an every down DE???

Oh and Im sorry the less I see Wakefield on the field unless its as a DT on passing downs then the better off well be!

I bet anyone a beer that Pace will be the fulltime DE opposite KVB come seasons start. With DJ as the primary guy giving breathers!

I was thinking the same thing. By the numbers he is our second biggest DE, though that is just is reported...

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I was thinking the same thing. By the numbers he is our second biggest DE, though that is just is reported...

Isnt he listed around 270???

If he is anywhere even close then he is more than big enough to be an every down DE in this league. Even as a rookie!

Last edited:

Ed B

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Withdrawn.

If he's really 270, his size is sufficient.

Regardless, I think to say that this guy is gonna go from Wake Forest to playing every down in the NFL is a real leap of faith. I think he'll rotate for sure. All 4 DEs will.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Withdrawn.

If he's really 270, his size is sufficient.

Regardless, I think to say that this guy is gonna go from Wake Forest to playing every down in the NFL is a real leap of faith. I think he'll rotate for sure. All 4 DEs will.

But playing at Wake isn't like playing at Utah for pete's sake.

Wake plays NC State (11-2 last year ?), Florida State, Clemson, UNC, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Virginia, and a few other teams.

The ACC is a pretty good conference, and it's about ready to become a great conference (and clearly better than any other except for the SEC) if Miami, BC, and Syracuse join.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We basically passed on a 6'3, 240 (the weight he should play at) De with 4.8 speed, for a guy that is 6'4 270 and ran a legitimate 4.6 at his workout. He also played better competition (IMO) and played a postition that was harder to get sacks.

Pace, IMO is a boom or bust pick. He has the physical tools to be a great DE, but there are a lot of unknowns.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Ed on some of this in that, even though Pace has the size to play every down, I doubt he will be an every down guy. He may come on late in the season and get alot of playing time but I fully expect he will be in the 4 DE rotation and early on he will play heavily on 3rd downs and as he gets more comfortable he will get more playing time.

Clearly, Johnsons development and KVBs return to full strength will also have an effect on Pace's playing time but how much remains to be seen.

As for Shane's initial question of how many sacks...I won't guess but I will say Pace's real value will not be in his sack totals but how he plays within the D line unit and if his play is ferocious enough to allow other players to get sacks even if he doesn't.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think at least 8 sacks. He is big, fast, strong and athletic. I also think Bryant and KVB will have much better years. WB missed training camp last year and was injured. I think his bad year was a big blow to his ego. From his comments and various reports he seems much more mature and committed this year. I think it was also posted that he's in much better shape. KVB should be fully healed and while I won't say he is a superstar caliber player he is good and will benefit from playing next to Pace and Bryant. I seriously doubt he will be seeing many double teams if the other two play like they should. Unfortunately I think the other tackle spot is a wasted space. Hopefully someone will step up.

p.s. Pace is the next Deacon Jones. :D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know that this is typical homerism and optimism but, I truly think that Calvin Pace (and Anquan Boldin) will be viewed as steals in the draft. Yes, I understand that he's the first round pick. My homerism is telling me that he is going to be viewed as one of the top three defensive linemen coming out of this draft. He's got the tools, he's fast, he's big enough but, most of all, he's got a chip on his shoulder. A big one.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci
I know that this is typical homerism and optimism but, I truly think that Calvin Pace (and Anquan Boldin) will be viewed as steals in the draft. Yes, I understand that he's the first round pick. My homerism is telling me that he is going to be viewed as one of the top three defensive linemen coming out of this draft. He's got the tools, he's fast, he's big enough but, most of all, he's got a chip on his shoulder. A big one.

Thats not homerism!

Just optimism and theres nothing wrong with that. I also believe that is a possability thats why I guessed 7 sacks but more then that he will put consistent pressure from the end!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If he is anything like Simeon Rice, like Graves compared him to, he could easily get 7 sacks.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Pace. He has the size, speed, intelligence, and a big chip on his shoulder.