Panthers banged up

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2 of their O linemen are listed as day to day

they brought in a few FA DT's today

looks like the panthers are thin on O line and D line

Gameplan-
Double team Peppers and let Edge and Hightower loose. Bring those safeties in then kill em' with our passing game.

Cards 34
Panthers 17

Panthers go down early in the game 14 and abandon their run game. Try passing, but keep failing. Into the half it's Cards 17 Carolina 3. Cards gain momentum and pick up another TD and a field goal in the 3rd. 3rd ends with Carolina marching down the field. Start of the 4th Carolina gets a TD and feels good about a comeback...that's not to be. Cards score another TD and a field goal. Carolina gets a free TD at the end of regulation.

Game over

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think a key to winning against teams that want to run first is to get ahead of them as early as possible.

It throws them out of their identity. Scoring early can be critical in any contest, obviously, but Delhomme playing catch up with a couple of backups in starters roles on the Oline is better for the Cardinals than the alternative.

In Glendale, I'd be quietly confident (but not overly, the Panthers are a dangerous team). In Carolina, I'm just plain worried.

hepcat

Reaction score
I think a key to winning against teams that want to run first is to get ahead of them as early as possible.

It throws them out of their identity. Scoring early can be critical in any contest, obviously, but Delhomme playing catch up with a couple of backups in starters roles on the Oline is better for the Cardinals than the alternative.

In Glendale, I'd be quietly confident (but not overly, the Panthers are a dangerous team). In Carolina, I'm just plain worried.

I agree...the Cards will prevail on Sunday if they jump out to an early lead. So far this season, except for the Tampa game, the Panthers have been able to get an early lead and run the ball to control the clock and wear out the opposing defense. The only exception is Minnesota. Carolina had a 10-0 lead or something like that, and Minnesota completely shut down the Panthers running game and they managed to scrape back into it. Tampa just blew out the Panthers early which made Jake try to put the game on his back and he ended up throwing 3 INTs. Tampa plays that zone defense and they got into all of Jakes throwing lanes and that totally screwed him up.

As for the two O-Linemen being out...I don't think that will matter too much unless they get injured as well. Then we are looking at some rookies and other inexperienced players getting in there. I think we'll be fine unless our reserves start getting injured...then we're in trouble.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
hate to burst your bubble but they have been out a few weeks already. our backups were the ones who only allowed on sack in 4 weeks.

i don't know much about the DLs being brought in. our defensive line is healthy, it just hasn't been as dominating as we had hoped (can you imagine what it would be like if it was more dominating?)

we only have one giant DT that we use as a NT and it would be nice to have another one but i don't know if either of the DTs would fit that bill. most likely they are all for the practice squad. we bring some guys in from time to time to help with different game preperations.

no big deal in either case.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait till you guys get a taste of the Cards DL and LB's and a little AW. Ask Romo and Edwards how that went for them! Nothing personal but hopefully the Cards keep their QB killing streak alive! This team needs a solid win on the road and I think they are gonna come out fired up and prove the Jets game was an anomally. Cards 31 - 24 !

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think the Cardinals are going to score 30 points on the Panthers. The Panthers have one of the top pass defenses in the league. I am thinking it is going to be a close game like Dallas.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scored 30 on Dallas and should have been more if the Refs had not been wearing stars as well.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey I just thought about something I get why they call them Americas Team now, stars and stripes makes sense, when you play americas team you play both the stars and stripes...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
hate to burst your bubble but they have been out a few weeks already. our backups were the ones who only allowed on sack in 4 weeks.

Keep things in perspective here. Last four games have been against some of the worst pass rushing teams in the league. About 1.5 sacks average a game. We average double that. You will be facing the 6th best pass rush team, not the 32nd, 24th, 22nd, and 13th.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
Wait till you guys get a taste of the Cards DL and LB's and a little AW. Ask Romo and Edwards how that went for them! Nothing personal but hopefully the Cards keep their QB killing streak alive! This team needs a solid win on the road and I think they are gonna come out fired up and prove the Jets game was an anomally. Cards 31 - 24 !
i'm shaking.

really. seriously....if your guys even come close to hurting our QB that wil be the end of the game, not because you will have won. the panthers are beyond loyal to jake on both sides of the ball. you seriously don't want that to happen.

and to even hope that your guys can injure a player to the point of getting him knocked out of the game is bad form and a bad reflection on your fanbase.

seriously....not cool.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
Keep things in perspective here. Last four games have been against some of the worst pass rushing teams in the league. About 1.5 sacks average a game. We average double that. You will be facing the 6th best pass rush team, not the 32nd, 24th, 22nd, and 13th.
won't matter much. panthers will keep jake upright enough to do what he needs to do. even in games where he was sacked they have been giving him all the time he needs.

if this pass rush.....your 18 sacks (really impressive) is all that you have to hang your hats on....sorry, that's not going to be enough.

that kind of thing really only gets the panthers fired up.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why the heck do people start these threads?? Man, you just know that their O-line is now going to give Delhomme all day back in the pocket now to pick apart our secondary. I like it better when people start the "We are in for a long day.." threads.

And on a serious note.. What makes you think that this O-line won't be able to perform well without them? They basically have plugged in their backups and haven't really suffered from it at all. To me, it is almost like Elton Brown coming in for Deuce Lutui. Not much drop off on performance. Their backups seem pretty solid. JMO

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
won't matter much. panthers will keep jake upright enough to do what he needs to do. even in games where he was sacked they have been giving him all the time he needs.

if this pass rush.....your 18 sacks (really impressive) is all that you have to hang your hats on....sorry, that's not going to be enough.

that kind of thing really only gets the panthers fired up.

18 sacks in three games is pretty impressive. You better home Wilson doesn't come on a blitz early and knock Jake out of the game, cuz then you'd be stuck with McCown.

Also, it's not even how many times you get sacked, it's how many times your QB gets knocked down. We sacked Romo quite a few times, but we also knocked him down something like 19 times. A concussion and a broken finger were the product of a Cardinals QB hurry.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Doesn't matter. Cards win. That's my prediction.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
18 sacks in three games is pretty impressive. You better home Wilson doesn't come on a blitz early and knock Jake out of the game, cuz then you'd be stuck with McCown.

Also, it's not even how many times you get sacked, it's how many times your QB gets knocked down. We sacked Romo quite a few times, but we also knocked him down something like 19 times. A concussion and a broken finger were the product of a Cardinals QB hurry.
see....there you guys go again bragging about being able to knock a QB out of the game and hoping that it happens to jake.

classy. feels like i am dealing with cowboy fans.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
see....there you guys go again bragging about being able to knock a QB out of the game and hoping that it happens to jake.

Not bragging about it, but your QB has an injury history. I'm legitimately saying you better hope it doesn't happen. Trust me, we all had to watch McCown for years, I like the guy but it isn't pretty. Injuries happen. The more the opposing team gets to your QB the more likely it is that your QB misses games.

Don't ever compare me to a Cowboys fan.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Relax - It's football bro and we want to put the QB on the turf as sacks help you win.

Personally I hope he stays in all game and and we take you to the woodshed the good old fashioned way.

I wouldn't be taking our pass rush lightly either. This is a different defense then the Saints big daddy and the Bucs - who hit you in the mouth - looked pretty dang dominant in their win.

You should be confident because you are at home. And we should be hesitant because we are on the road.

But I think it will be close and come down to who executes at the end like that Skins game.

And I can assure win or lose - your boys will be hurting and smacked up after the game.

That I promise.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
Not bragging about it, but your QB has an injury history. I'm legitimately saying you better hope it doesn't happen. Trust me, we all had to watch McCown for years, I like the guy but it isn't pretty. Injuries happen. The more the opposing team gets to your QB the more likely it is that your QB misses games.

Don't ever compare me to a Cowboys fan.
don't talk like one and won't compare you to one.

say what you want but i have seen a few posters in here being proud of having taken out a couple QBs and desiring to take jake out.

if you aren't one of them, don't worry about it.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
Relax - It's football bro and we want to put the QB on the turf as sacks help you win.

Personally I hope he stays in all game and and we take you to the woodshed the good old fashioned way.

I wouldn't be taking our pass rush lightly either. This is a different defense then the Saints big daddy and the Bucs - who hit you in the mouth - looked pretty dang dominant in their win.

You should be confident because you are at home. And we should be hesitant because we are on the road.

But I think it will be close and come down to who executes at the end like that Skins game.

And I can assure win or lose - your boys will be hurting and smacked up after the game.

That I promise.
i haven't taken the pass rush too lightly. someone started a thread saying that because a couple on our oline is day to day that it will be an easier game and i came in responding that our backups are pretty good and just because you had an easy time with a few other lines didn't mean that it was going to be the same way with our oline.

i have a lot of respect for what you guys have done and can do but i am confident that the panthers will be able to handle it....starters or not.

again, i'm not underestimating your pass rush. i just know what ours is becoming, esp. at home.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
say what you want but i have seen a few posters in here being proud of having taken out a couple QBs and desiring to take jake out.

that might have something to do with the time we were playing the eagles and McNabb beat us playing on a broken leg. we couldn't get anywhere near the QB when it was clear McNabb was hurting. We had a miserable pass rush for many many many years. Heck, we had a miserable team for many many many years. When the highlight of a season is Josh McCown throwing a pass to Nate Poole to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs in the last game of the season....ahhh the memories.

note: I dont remember, but did one of the cards defenders injure McNabb's leg in that game?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
don't talk like one and won't compare you to one.

if you aren't one of them, don't worry about it.
rayzor, your shtick is getting old fast. While I agree with the sentiment of players getting hurt, H3 was merely commenting on how punishing our D has been the past two games.

Your cocky way of writing isn't helping your battle about nashmans post on taking your QB out.

rayzor

Rookie
Reaction score
rayzor, your shtick is getting old fast. While I agree with the sentiment of players getting hurt, H3 was merely commenting on how punishing our D has been the past two games.

Your cocky way of writing isn't helping your battle about nashmans post on taking your QB out.

no shtick. no cockiness. no battle. just discussion.

if you perceive it that way, there's nothing i can do about it.

all i've said regarding the matter is:
-hurting jake is a bad idea because it will only get the rest of the team pushing and playing harder.
-it isn't very classy to talk about wanting to take another teams player out.
-if you are just stating that your team has been causing some injuries but not that you are hoping they continue to do that or that you aren't wanting to get someone knocked out of the game then my remarks aren't aimed at you.

panthers have done it's share of injuring players...in fact every year for the past several years there has been at least one player put on IR after playing us. NFL is a hard hitting game and people getting hurt is part of it. panthers is known for being one of the hardest hitting teams out there. of anyone you should know how bad it is to have one of your key players knocked out of a game. boldin could have been hurt a lot worse and was lucky he wasn't put in a coma or lost his ability to walk. he was fortunate. why would you want that kind of thing to happen to anyone elses team?

anyway, i'm done with the subject and i'm not going to push the issue any further.

Last edited: