Pasch's Observations of Training Camp, Week 1

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
by: Dave Pasch
http://azcardinals.com/fanzone/columndetails.php?cid=253

The 2004 Cardinals training camp has been high intensity, up tempo, detail oriented, and contact filled football. Head Coach Dennis Green used the mini-camps and OTA's to install the offense, and is challenging the players mentally by advancing the offense and defense in training camp. Green wanted the players to work on things like nickel defense, and two minute offense early in camp, which is different from the two previous Cardinals camps I've witnessed. I'm also noticing a lot more teaching at every position by the assistant coaches. There were some excellent teachers on the previous coaching staff, including some of the best in the NFL. However, there were some positions, that left something to be desired in terms of teaching technique. Here are some other observations:

Josh McCown is practicing with a lot of confidence. Dennis Green knows how to handle quarterbacks, and he's pumped Josh full of praise to get the young signal caller headed in a positive direction. McCown has responded. Like all young quarterbacks, he still makes mistakes, but he looks poised, and is making safe decisions. Josh has shown excellent leadership qualities as well. I think he has a bright future in the NFL.

The Cardinals could be in trouble at running back. Marcel Shipp might not be a Pro Bowl back, but he's the best the Cardinals had. With his injury, guys like Damien Anderson, and Josh Scobey have to produce. Emmitt Smith is entering his 15th NFL season, and while he's one of the best of all time, 20-25 carries per game is a lot to ask at this stage of his career.

The receiving corps could be spectacular. I was talking with some fellow announcers at an ESPN college football seminar, and one respected colleague told me Larry Fitzgerald is the greatest college football player he's ever seen. Fitzgerald will be great, but right now, he's #2 to Anquan Boldin. "Q" looks better than he did last year. His numbers might be down this year because he has some competition at the receiver position, but Boldin is a super star. The coaching staff really likes Bryant Johnson, even though he's hurt right now. Bryan Gilmore could really be a threat this year, based on what I've seen so far.

Reggie Wells is playing the best of any offensive lineman right now. What a great find by Cardinals scout Steve Keim. The coaching staff absolutely loves Wells, and he could be a future star. Leonard Davis has looked shaky at times at LT, but hopefully in time he'll live up to his potential. Still not sure about Anthony Clement at RT. L.J. Shelton may end up there, but the coaching staff is waiting for Shelton to step up in practice and show more fight.

The defensive line is better...thank goodness. Bert Berry is "the truth", as one player told me. Berry has tremendous talent and work ethic. Darnell Dockett will be a force at DT, but Kenny King has benefited from Dockett's absence. King will be an impact player this year. Kyle Vanden Bosch is ready to explode, because he wants to play so badly. I think Kyle will be a very solid LDE, assuming he stays healthy.

Gerald Hayes is the best all around linebacker on the team. Hayes will be a 10-12 year starter, and will probably eventually take over at MLB. Ray Thompson has become more of a leader, thanks in part to a heart to heart conversation with Coach Green earlier this year. Watch out for Karlos Dansby. A well respected broadcaster, who played with Lawrence Taylor, says Dansby reminds him of L.T.

David Macklin is an upgrade over David Barrett. Duane Starks looks excellent in practice, and Renaldo Hill is always going to make plays. Adrian Wilson, according to one member of the coaching staff, "might be the best football player on the team." Wilson has always had the talent, and if he can stay disciplined, he could have a monster season. Dexter Jackson hates having to sit on the sideline, but he should be ready to practice soon. Quentin Harris will get a lot of playing time this year, whether he remains a starter or not. Harris is smart, physical, and usually in the right place at the right time. The Cardinals think Harris could have a long career in the NFL.

Fitzfan1

Reaction score
Gerald Hayes was an amazing LB at Pitt. He has all the instincts a middle linebacker needs to be great. He was constantly around the ball and was a leader on the field. His loss from our defense two years ago, probably set us further back than Fitzgerald's loss will on offense this year.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE Watch out for Karlos Dansby. A well respected broadcaster, who played with Lawrence Taylor, says Dansby reminds him of L.T.[/QUOTE]

I posted this very thought on Saturday. He really looks that good in practice.

pete

All Star
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
by: Dave Pasch
http://azcardinals.com/fanzone/columndetails.php?cid=253

Reggie Wells is playing the best of any offensive lineman right now. What a great find by Cardinals scout Steve Keim. The coaching staff absolutely loves Wells, and he could be a future star. Leonard Davis has looked shaky at times at LT, but hopefully in time he'll live up to his potential. Still not sure about Anthony Clement at RT. L.J. Shelton may end up there, but the coaching staff is waiting for Shelton to step up in practice and show more fight.

I'm waiting for LJ to get pissed off and win his job, or A job, back too. Can anyone watching TC offer some insight if LJ is playing like a guy who wants to win a job?

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Fitzfan1 said:
Gerald Hayes was an amazing LB at Pitt. He has all the instincts a middle linebacker needs to be great. He was constantly around the ball and was a leader on the field. His loss from our defense two years ago, probably set us further back than Fitzgerald's loss will on offense this year.

Hayes was a rookie last year. Not 2 years ago.

Reaction score
Great article Dave! Except for this sentence:
Dave Pasch said:
Bryan Gilmore could really be a threat this year, based on what I've seen so far.

Various people have been claiming this for years now... but he never, really ever, shows up in the games. :confused: :shrug:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Great article Dave! Except for this sentence:

Various people have been claiming this for years now... but he never, really ever, shows up in the games. :confused: :shrug:

Supposedly he will be practicing again today (8/9) If he goes down again I think Green will let him go. Gilmore is the NFL's poster child for "All Potential, No Game." He doesn't seem aggressive enough to play at this level.