Pashos signs with Jags

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I'd agree except that I don't really think Jon Stinchcomb is an upgrade over anything. Yeah, he's better than Oliver Ross, but so are you.

This happens every year in free agency - everyone on the board picks some guy that no one even heard of 6 weeks ago and now we can't possibly live without him. Stinchcomb is just a body. He has almost no power and his mediocre/average pass-blocking doesn't make up for how horrible he is in the run game.

We need to upgrade the Oline...period.

We didn't do it last year and we let out best OL walk this year. So far, we are way behind the upgrade curve.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
We need to upgrade the Oline...period.

We didn't do it last year and we let out best OL walk this year. So far, we are way behind the upgrade curve.

I agree. But throwing money at crap isn't really an upgrade strategy.

Targeting one of the guards (Steinbach or Dockery) with the hopes that they could play tackle would make more sense than paying wastes of flesh like Davis, Stinchcomb, or Pashos. Not saying that's a good strategy, but at least guys like Steinbach, Diehlman, and Dockery are good players.

BigOX

Reaction score
Well this is unfortunate. We need depth and guys to battle for the starting position. How many terribly under-achieving seasons do we have to go through before we maximize our cap with o-line signings?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Targeting one of the guards (Steinbach or Dockery) with the hopes that they could play tackle would make more sense than paying wastes of flesh like Davis, Stinchcomb, or Pashos. Not saying that's a good strategy, but at least guys like Steinbach, Diehlman, and Dockery are good players.

I agree but I wouldn't call Stinchcomb crap. I think he is above average with potential left to get even better. I'd take overspending slightly to him over overspending for an old name that is on the decline. Depth at OT is our biggest weakness right now.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I agree but I wouldn't call Stinchcomb crap. I think he is above average with potential left to get even better. I'd take overspending slightly to him over overspending for an old name that is on the decline. Depth at OT is our biggest weakness right now.

OK, maybe crap was harsh. But there's certainly nothing about the guy to make us say "HE'S the answer!"

You're right, he has some room to get better. But that's basically saying that signing him is a $7 million per year roll of the dice. He also might NOT get any better.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I can't assume along with you that Davis, Stinchcomb, and Pashos are crap. The latter two started for playoff teams who liked to run. Pashos was signed day 1 by a running team.

Steinbach, Diehlman, and Dockery would be great G's to sign but they are not T's and that would not be better than one of the above 3.

Our need at T, far exceeds our need at G.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I can't assume along with you that Davis, Stinchcomb, and Pashos are crap. The latter two started for playoff teams who liked to run. Pashos was signed day 1 by a running team.

Steinbach, Diehlman, and Dockery would be great G's to sign but they are not T's and that would not be better than one of the above 3.

Our need at T, far exceeds our need at G.

Yes, but the best players seem to be at the other position.

Those two guys started for playoff teams....playoff teams that made almost no effort to re-sign them. That tells me that they are essentially just bodies. I'm pretty sure that the other guys on NO's line had something to do with the success of the run game.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
ps - Oliver Ross was a starter from a playoff team that liked to run.

:)

Sorry I just can't resist an opportunity to bring that loser up in a conversation.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
ps - Oliver Ross was a starter from a playoff team that liked to run.

:)

Sorry I just can't resist an opportunity to bring that loser up in a conversation.

Ouch...true.

But...we were the only ones who were interested in him!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this is unfortunate. We need depth and guys to battle for the starting position. How many terribly under-achieving seasons do we have to go through before we maximize our cap with o-line signings?

Welcome BigOX. Like Ed Burmila, I'm not big on throwing money at the OTs available out there. I'd rather draft and develop them.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch...true.

But...we were the only ones who were interested in him!

That ridiculous signing is actually an improvement over years past.

Remember when we paid that OT from the Lions (Tharpe? Something like that...) a bunch of money because Buddy Ryan's son was his agent?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That ridiculous signing is actually an improvement over years past.

Remember when we paid that OT from the Lions (Tharpe? Something like that...) a bunch of money because Buddy Ryan's son was his agent?

Larry Tharpe...but I also remember us getting Lomas Brown and Pete Kendall.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Yeah, if J. Bridges can move to OT and play there a whole year, than who's to say one of these guys can't make that adjustment. Or Lutui who's still real young in the learning curve.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Welcome BigOX. Like Ed Burmila, I'm not big on throwing money at the OTs available out there. I'd rather draft and develop them.

We're either gonna trade down now for someone like Brown or a project in the next couple rounds. It would'nt be much help this year as far as I can tell.

"We could be in a little bit of a pickle here Dick".

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not a bad idea but it can work both ways. The Bears starting offensive linemen other than Kreutz at C were all long time veterans from other teams that the Bears picked up in either 2003 or 2004.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another one bits the dust.
ESPN reports:

The first of the highly regarded offensive linemen expected to switch teams in free agency has made his move, as right tackle Tony Pashos, who played the first four seasons of his career with the Baltimore Ravens, on Friday reached an agreement with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

You must be registered for see images

Pashos

That Pashos would sign with the Jaguars was one of the NFL's worst-kept secrets over the past few days. Pashos was en route to Jacksonville on Friday and will sign his contract after a physical exam there.
eports:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, but Ruben Brown was overrated in Buffalo and past his prime...oh wait.

I believe that this team is in huge need of veteran leadership which is why I am on board to sign Donnie Edwards. He played outside backer in KC and is the type of leader that we need with our young defense. I said the same thing about Ty Law. Yes, he might be past his prime but he brings a professionalism to a team that most need. I think that Drew Bledsoe would be a great asset to most teams as well if he decided that he could live being the backup.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's hard to say that Pashos or Stinchcomb isn't the answer to the question "Who the hell is going to be playing tackle for the Arizona Cardinals next season?"

Saying that you'd rather draft somebody doesn't make any sense. Just because you sign someone in FA doesn't mean you can't draft someone else if they're there. It just means that you're not then forced to take someone too high because you came out of free agency without even a body.

"Just a body" for someone else's team is better than anything we have now, which is "nobody at all." Regardless of the price.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to say that Pashos or Stinchcomb isn't the answer to the question "Who the hell is going to be playing tackle for the Arizona Cardinals next season?"

Saying that you'd rather draft somebody doesn't make any sense. Just because you sign someone in FA doesn't mean you can't draft someone else if they're there. It just means that you're not then forced to take someone too high because you came out of free agency without even a body.

"Just a body" for someone else's team is better than anything we have now, which is "nobody at all." Regardless of the price.

I see your point. My only point is that I don't necessarily blame the Cardinals for not wanting to rush into the market for such mediocre players.

Call it cheap, call it a defense of Graves, whatever. I just can't rationally criticize them for not wanting to pay Jon Stinchcomb or Tony "Am I even a starter?" Pashos $20 million in guaranteed money.

You use free agency when free agency offers you options to improve your team. If all we're getting is "someone" to play the position, then yes, you might as well just rely on the draft or bring in some low-priced stopgaps until someone worth the money hits the market next season.

If Stinchcomb is the "best" option out there, sign an old guy with very little left (a Brad Hopkins type) to plug the hole for a year. Hope the market improves next year. That may seem lame, but it's better than being on the hook for boatloads of cash to guys who aren't good (see Ross, Oliver - three years left on that winner's contract).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may seem lame, but it's better than being on the hook for boatloads of cash to guys who aren't good
(see Ross, Oliver - three years left on that winner's contract).

We can cut Ross and clear cap space. As well as put more money in Bidwill's pocket.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You use free agency when free agency offers you options to improve your team. If all we're getting is "someone" to play the position, then yes, you might as well just rely on the draft or bring in some low-priced stopgaps until someone worth the money hits the market next season.

Excellent point.

It looks like the Redskins have finally figured that out this year. We haven't heard a peep from them yet and usually they would have signed 4 mediocre guys to big contracts by now.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
We can cut Ross and clear cap space. As well as put more money in Bidwill's pocket.

No, we take a cap hit for the remaining pro-rated portion of his signing bonus. We DO save the money we would have to pay him in salary.

We're f'n $35 million under the cap. No one needs to be cut to save anyone cap space or give RG more reasons to crow about how great we are at "managing the cap".