Pete Kendall

Piper

Reaction score
Greetings from NY. I have a question for you Cards fanatics.

What was the reason Green cut Kendall? He has been a strong addition to our o-line and I wanted to get some background from the folks who know.

Good luck on Sunday. Between King and Carter, it looks like we're looking ata defensive struggle.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but I suspect it is a combination of the following factors:

1. Denny wanted to shock the team by releasing a good/popular player.

2. Pete was a "club-house lawyer", suspected of reporting violations to the leage about the Cardinals off season work out program.

3. Pete was the "leader" of a very highly paid offensive line that has grossly underperformed.

4. Pete never healthy enough to play a full season.

5. Pete is from Boston, and many of us in this forum have come to detest all things Boston due to a certain unnamed "fan".

Ok, so number 5 is more of an inside joke, but I think reason 1 and 2 are what your looking for.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh NO!!!!!

Not another Kendall thread....

God, please help us....

OP
OP
Piper

Piper

Reaction score
TRW said:
Not another Kendall thread....

God, please help us....
Sorry. I didn't see anything about it, but I'm sure it was beaten to death when it happened.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Piper said:
Sorry. ... I'm sure it was beaten to death when it happened.
That's exactly it. No need to apologize--it's a legit topic, IMO, since we're playing Kendall this week.

Kendall didn't seem to be "onboard" with Green's program, and it's widely believed that he was pretty vocal about it, either becoming a lockerroom "cancer" or maybe Green just thought he would become a cancer. Either way, no one thinks it was because he didn't have the ability to make the team on the merits of his play--it was a clash with the coach.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Piper said:
Sorry. I didn't see anything about it, but I'm sure it was beaten to death when it happened.

Oh, you can't even imagine (unless you have read the King/McCown crap).

LOL

I was just joking around, no apologies necessary. Those debates and endless threads are what makes this board entertaining (for the most part).

No worries!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I recall Denny and Pete went bass fishing. Denny was apalled that Pete wanted to use live bait, said he was a neanderthal, and cut him.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Kendall was a cancer and was injury prone.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
As I recall Denny and Pete went bass fishing. Denny was apalled that Pete wanted to use live bait, said he was a neanderthal, and cut him.

See I heard it was because Pete forgot to shut the live well off.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The_Soothsayer said:
He's been a model citizen here in NY.

I'm glad we have him.
no doubt because they are winning.

I dont know if he was a cancer. One thing that cant be denied is that for the last 3 years ( IIRC) he spent the end of the season on IR

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toro said:
Kendall was a cancer and was injury prone.

I don't agree with calling him a cancer. He stood up to DG about breaking the rules. Key words: BREAKING THE RULES.

Whether or not you think he should have kept his mouth shut he wasn't in the wrong. He wasn't complaining about his contract, or his role in the offense, etc. He wasn't someone who wanted attention at the expense of the team.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Pete Kendall is a guard.

Our head coach, Dave Mac, thought it would be a good idea to let Pete play center, since he was constantly getting hurt at the guard position, and perhaps playing center would prolong Kendall's career.

When Mac got fired, Dennis Green came in, and in my opinion, Kendall wanted NO PART of a real head coach like Green. Kendall told his long time friends on the Jets, to figure out a way to get him in there, because Kendall thought "Denny didn't like him".

Pete Kendall manufactured a way to get back east, his home, and play for a "players coach" once again.

Dennis Green promptly drafteded arguably the top center in the draft, a National Champion from Ohio State.

Now we have a real center, not some guy trying to suck as much money out of us as he possibly can, while he plays out of position, "to prolong his career".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
See I heard it was because Pete forgot to shut the live well off.

Well Green wouldn't let him use live bait so what's the point of having a live well? They were releasing all the fish.

That's actually one of the few things I like about Green as a person(not a coach) he fishes.

Reaction score
Lex said:
Now we have a real center, not some guy trying to suck as much money out of us as he possibly can, while he plays out of position, "to prolong his career".
Well while Pete is prolonging his career he's also dramatically helped to improved the JETS running game this season. Martin has gotten a lot more holes and running lanes this year than he's had in recent years.

I'm happy things worked out the way they did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Pete Kendall is a guard.

Our head coach, Dave Mac, thought it would be a good idea to let Pete play center, since he was constantly getting hurt at the guard position, and perhaps playing center would prolong Kendall's career.

When Mac got fired, Dennis Green came in, and in my opinion, Kendall wanted NO PART of a real head coach like Green. Kendall told his long time friends on the Jets, to figure out a way to get him in there, because Kendall thought "Denny didn't like him".

Pete Kendall manufactured a way to get back east, his home, and play for a "players coach" once again.

Dennis Green promptly drafteded arguably the top center in the draft, a National Champion from Ohio State.

It is amazing how Lex takes one quote that Kendall told Mawae he was afraid Green didn't like him and was going to cut him, and Mawae said he lobbied the Jets to bring in Kendall, as some plot where Kendall intentionally pissed off Green so he'd be cut and could sign in NY and get a new bonus.

The Cards had no Center, Kendall was versatile enough that we decided to try and move him to C, and yes part of that thinking was it might prolong his career. It's not like the Cards were about to cut Kendall because he couldn't play guard.

Grove was pretty universally rated the top C in the draft, I guess if YOU conisdered Step the top C then you can defend the use of the word arguably, most had Step rated round 4 or later. He's doing OK for a 4th round pick thrown to the wolves as a rookie with an inexperienced LG, a bad RG, and now a bad inexperienced RG. But he's not nearly as good at C as Kendall was.

Kendall wasn't cut over performance or injury, Green didn't like him, didn't trust him, and tried to make a statement with the cut. Green did what he felt he had to do, it worked out great for Kendall, great for Step, and short term it hurt our OL.

We can run left, can't run right or really up the gut. We can't protect up the middle either, combination of the guards, Step, and line calls. Long term Step will be ok, but he wasn't ready to start this year.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Well Green wouldn't let him use live bait so what's the point of having a live well? They were releasing all the fish.

That's actually one of the few things I like about Green as a person(not a coach) he fishes.

Yeah me too, my favorite is trout fishing, never gotten to go deep sea fishing that would be awesome and I plan too next year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The_Soothsayer said:
Well while Pete is prolonging his career he's also dramatically helped to improved the JETS running game this season. Martin has gotten a lot more holes and running lanes this year than he's had in recent years.

I'm happy things worked out the way they did.

This is a myth, Kendall can't play hurt, the whole broken toe thing is made up. Of course when he came out of a game, Lex was saying see I told you so, but now that's he playing with the injury, it's made up. :)

Lex doesn't like Pete, thinks he took advantage of the situation here took the money, quit at the end of the season every year and then cashed out when Green challenged him. some of that is probably true, I just think Lex exaggerates it. Kendall was on radio a lot here and Lex felt Pete was never apppropriately crushed after losses, felt he accepted losing too easily.

That and Pete once told Jake to shut up and worry about how YOU are playing, NFL films caught it on tape.

DKCards

Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Yeah me too, my favorite is trout fishing, never gotten to go deep sea fishing that would be awesome and I plan too next year.
Don't do it. Deep sea fishing is great but after you catch a 30lb Dorado or 50lb Tuna catching those 9" trout will never be the same.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

I go striped bass fishing whenever I can with my dad, and we now have an annual week trip to Loreto in Baja for Dorado, Sailfish etc. Gotten pretty heavily into flyfishing, Denny would probably think I'm a snob for that.

I do figure anybody that likes to fish can't be ALL bad, even Denny.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DKCards said:
Don't do it. Deep sea fishing is great but after you catch a 30lb Dorado or 50lb Tuna catching those 9" trout will never be the same.

Catch a dorado that big on a flyrod sometime, pretty fun. I should say hooking one since both that big broke me off, one spit the fly, the other broke my knot to the fly. Had taken a bunch of fish on that fly and the line was frayed but I didn't notice.

Never caught a tuna that big, a 20 pound black skipjack broke my flyrod and reel 2 years ago though.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I go striped bass fishing whenever I can with my dad, and we now have an annual week trip to Loreto in Baja for Dorado, Sailfish etc. Gotten pretty heavily into flyfishing, Denny would probably think I'm a snob for that.

I do figure anybody that likes to fish can't be ALL bad, even Denny.

Denny isn't all bad, jeez at least he isn't my boss and for that I am thankful, although I have had worse and that stinks.

Fly fishing isn't something I ever liked much. The problem with it is that where you can do it around here is usually very crowded with newbs nearly plucking your eyeballs out, tangling your line every other cast and wading right past you so pretty soon the whole tranquility aspect is blown to heck.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
DKCards said:

Funny I had the same feeling after one particular girl in college. I consider myself warned since I don't want to move to the coast and buy a boat just yet.

:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Denny isn't all bad, jeez at least he isn't my boss and for that I am thankful, although I have had worse and that stinks.

Fly fishing isn't something I ever liked much. The problem with it is that where you can do it around here is usually very crowded with newbs nearly plucking your eyeballs out, tangling your line every other cast and wading right past you so pretty soon the whole tranquility aspect is blown to heck.

Yeah I'm in a boat on the Delta, 1100 miles of water, I can fairly usually find water where I don't get crowded. But yeah I hate shoulder to shoulder fishing and flyfishing in that setup is dangerous unless you're really good, I"m not good enough to comfortably do that.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Russ-

Let's not forget, in order to protect Pete Kendall playing out of position to prolong his career, we put the #2 overall pick in the draft, the left tackle from Texas that blocked for LaDanian Tomlinson, AT GUARD.

Now Leonard Davis is back where he belongs, left tackle, and Pete "lis franc" Kendall is back at guard, being protected by the best center in the NFL.

That Pete/Jake interaction is news to me, but let's face it, Kendall was wrong about Jake Plummer just like everyone else.