Phoenix @ Dallas - Game Thread - Wed. Mar 14, 2007 - 6:00 pm

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
The Mavs stuck to every single Sun in the third quarter. Diaw gave up easy backet after easy basket. I do think his back is part of it.

The Mavs front line is a tough match-up for the Suns. You only want Amare guarding the Mavs center for rebounding and foul purposes. You can only put Marion on one of Howard/Dirk. Diaw and Thomas can't really guard one of Dirk/Howard. The Suns best match-up defensively againist the Mavs' frontline is James Jones, Marion, and Amare. That worked in the OT's but is small.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Dirk got away with A LOT of complaining in this game. Some of the fouls were interesting.

It was nice to see us rise above that. Amare was sick. If he can box out more and hold on to a few more passes, he'd have a 55 and 25 game.

I'm not complaining about Amare, but he's so close to being the dominate force he was, it's scary.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirk stuck it to everyone. Marion at least made him work. Diaw became a liability on the floor because he kept getting matched up on the switch with Howard and Stack. They just drove around him.

Also, Marion not only shadowed Dirk but Howard all night which in itself was a nightmare. How many defenders are asked to go from guarding Howard to Dirk in the same night?

I'm fully aware that Dirk sticks it to everyone. Diaw became a liability on the floor because of the TEAM's decision to switch after the pick n roll. Actually, both team's choose to switch defenders on the pick n roll, which is the wrong strategy. The best defense against the P&R is to fight through the screen and get help from the weakside. (if necessary) Dallas kept switching Dirk on Nash with the same results.

Dirk is that rare player that is more confortable going to his left. Marion and Diaw both were allowing him to go left. It was insane.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that Dirk sticks it to everyone. Diaw became a liability on the floor because of the TEAM's decision to switch after the pick n roll. Actually, both team's choose to switch defenders on the pick n roll, which is the wrong strategy. The best defense against the P&R is to fight through the screen and get help from the weakside. (if necessary) Dallas kept switching Dirk on Nash with the same results.

Dirk is that rare player that is more confortable going to his left. Marion and Diaw both were allowing him to go left. It was insane.

Oh I agree. The announcers kept saying don't let him go left. Then again, they say that about Nash every freaking game and people still let him as well.

Did you also notice how many CRAZY matchups there were in that game? How many times did we see forwards covering guards and guards covering forwards? I have watched everygame between these 2 teams for the last 3 years and I don't remember more odd defensive matchups between the two caused by switch or not. Holy cow was I screaming. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I agree. The announcers kept saying don't let him go left. Then again, they say that about Nash every freaking game and people still let him as well.

Did you also notice how many CRAZY matchups there were in that game? How many times did we see forwards covering guards and guards covering forwards? I have watched everygame between these 2 teams for the last 3 years and I don't remember more odd defensive matchups between the two caused by switch or not. Holy cow was I screaming. :D

It was crazy. Barbosa on Dirk several times. Buckner on Amare a few times. Weirdness.

While I was trying to coach some of my kids, I was telling them that if you are playing against a player that you have never played before, use the first quarter to find patterns and a dominant hand. If a player goes right everytime, shift, and force him to the baseline. The fact that the Suns have played against Dirk several times, and have every game film of Dirk that they need, but did not have a good scouting report about him going to the left... I wanted to scream.

I didn't even watch the game until about 11pm, so I had to keep my screaming to a minimum. I already woke up my daughter in the 1st Q of the game, so I had to bite my lip quite a bit in the second half. I need some Carmex.

fordronken

Reaction score
Diaw didn't play much because he had foul trouble in the first half, and then they wanted Marion on Dirk. Diaw just didn't have a match up. They obviously weren't going to take Amare out.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How closely matched are these two teams? Two games went to overtime and the third almost did. Last night the Suns won when the Mavs blew a lead in the last minute, which is how the Mavs won on a last second shot in December. Considering how invincible the Mavs are supposed to be in Dallas, it is clear the two teams are closely matched.

Tactically, D'Antoni and Johnson played a game of "chicken". Dampier cannot stop Amare, but he's so big he gives the Mavs a huge advantage on the boards. Amare had 41 points and should have had more if it weren't for some very doubtful calls in the first quarter.

The Mavs are SUPPOSED to be a great defensive team, but the Suns shot 55.7% from the field (mostly due to Amare's 16 of 19 from the field). The Suns are not supposed to be a great defensive team, but held the Mavs to 45.2%. The Mavs relied heavily on their three point shooting going 10-18; but shooting threes is always a risk against the Suns because it can create long misses and fast breaks.

If this is a preview of the WCF, it could go seven games with half them into overtime.

The_Matrix

Jump Program
Reaction score
After the game, Eddie Johnson was saying that looking at the stats and the shooting, if the suns would have picked up just a few more rebounds the Mavs would not have been in this game at the end of regulation. Both teams took about the same amount of shots and the suns shot a better percentage, but the Mavs got the rebounds.

Dallas took 104 shots versus the Suns' 88. Dallas had 27 offensive rebounds versus our 11. How strange, 16 more offensive boards means 16 extra shot attempts.

The Mavs shot better from three and the free throws were about equal. The ONLY thing that kept us in the game was Amare Stoudemire. Without his 16-19 shooting (i.e. last year), Nash wouldn't have had a chance to take over in the 4th.

Stoudemire's new number says it all: One for all and all for one. Our playoff fate rests with him. And I believe we should be confident. No matter how much Windex Dampier and Diop spray, they can't guard Amare. Same for Duncan, Oberto and Co. Though Amare had like 24 rebounds the last time we beat the Spurs.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
I havent seen a game this good since our game 7 against the Spurs last year. Anyway, a Mavs take on the game:

Phoenix: Amare shot a ridiculously high FG%, I know we don't have anyone to actually stop him but still... you would think somebody would make an effort. He gave absolutely everything he had, that was him at his best and the reason for the loss. Although you can't discredit Nash either, he's clutch whereas Dirk just didn't have it in him this game and blew the game with a missed FT.

Dallas: Josh also made the dumbest play of the night by fouling Nash's three point attempt which put Dirk in that awkward position as well. I think the last shot shouldn't have been taken by Dirk, it should have been Terry who was feeling it with consecutive buckets made.

Conclusion: It's amazing how the two "best" teams can blow such huge leads to each other and then still somehow be in it for two OT's. I don't discredit the Suns for winning but when a game goes down to the wire like that it really could have been anyones ballgame just like the buzzer beater way back at the start of the season. I really hope these teams meet in the WCF, anything else would be an utter disappointment.

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunsfn
After the game, Eddie Johnson was saying that looking at the stats and the shooting, if the suns would have picked up just a few more rebounds the Mavs would not have been in this game at the end of regulation. Both teams took about the same amount of shots and the suns shot a better percentage, but the Mavs got the rebounds.

Dallas took 104 shots versus the Suns' 88. Dallas had 27 offensive rebounds versus our 11. How strange, 16 more offensive boards means 16 extra shot attempts.

The Mavs shot better from three and the free throws were about equal. The ONLY thing that kept us in the game was Amare Stoudemire. Without his 16-19 shooting (i.e. last year), Nash wouldn't have had a chance to take over in the 4th.

Stoudemire's new number says it all: One for all and all for one. Our playoff fate rests with him. And I believe we should be confident. No matter how much Windex Dampier and Diop spray, they can't guard Amare. Same for Duncan, Oberto and Co. Though Amare had like 24 rebounds the last time we beat the Spurs.

In my post I meant to say the made shots by each team.
(regular and 3 pointers)
Suns 56
Mavs 57

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was out of town for a week but glad this game was on espn so I could see it, what a awsome game by the suns and Nash showed why he should win yet another mvp award for those two big plays he made to send it to ot, and what made the win even nicer was beating dallas in the own house and watching jackass cuban push the camera away from his :) But atleast now we know we can beat the mavs on their on court which is huge. I cant wait till suns and mavs meet in the playoffs it is going to be one hell of a series GO SUNS GREAT WIN THIS SEASON BY A LONGSHOT

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I thought the Suns did get it done against the Mavs the year before? And actually, I was pretty impressed the way the Suns took the Mavs to 6 games in the WCF last year without: AMARE, KURT THOMAS and RAJA BELL.

Neither the Spurs nor the Mavs have made it to the WCF the past two years, the Suns have.
yes. and that mavs team was doubted as well because they were seen as an offensive only team. my only point was that all last season the mavs had improved their defense and had held opponents under 100 for the first time in forever, yet no one was giving them credit untill they beat the championship caliber spurs team. that's the way people are. they want to see teams get it done in the playoffs against championship caliber teams. that spurs series victory may have only been in the 2nd round. but the spurs(after the shaq/lakers) have been the team to beat in the WC. the suns made it to the WC finals last year, but i don't think they were better than the spurs. Especially with all of those injuries that you quickly remind us of.
don't get me wrong though. the mavs still have nothing untill they have a ring.

Last edited: