Phoenix Suns History Lesson (Robert Sarver 04-Present)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Marion was absurdly overpaid and everyone knew it. The Suns never got a decent offer for him.

Eh, while he was paid a lot, I still think his value was very high, and he wasn't considered absurdly overpaid.

Simmons, who is pretty good with NBA stuff, had him rated the 25th best player in 05, and number 21 in 06. Most importantly, this ranking takes into account salary.

While his peak value was with the Suns and in the Suns system, I think he had some value in a trade.

Regardless, Sarver f'ed up the JJ situation, and kept lowballing him until he asked out of town. I can't really blame JJ for that, and to get nothing for him was a sign of things to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
and to get nothing for him was a sign of things to come.

That's pretty harsh. Although Diaw went south after winning MIP, I think it's reasonable to assume that the Suns recognized his potential when they acquired him. (The rumors were that the Hawks were offering Childress and the Suns held out for Diaw instead.) They also got the pick that should have been #4 or #5 in the Horford draft, were it not for the Hawks winning the lottery. I think there was one other pick in there too. So really it was a pretty good deal, for an overrated semi-star who didn't want to be there.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That's pretty harsh. Although Diaw went south after winning MIP, I think it's reasonable to assume that the Suns recognized his potential when they acquired him. (The rumors were that the Hawks were offering Childress and the Suns held out for Diaw instead.) They also got the pick that should have been #4 or #5 in the Horford draft, were it not for the Hawks winning the lottery. I think there was one other pick in there too. So really it was a pretty good deal, for an overrated semi-star who didn't want to be there.

Ha, what I meant by that was letting Stat and now Nash, among others go without compensation.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's still true, isn't it, that Sarver agreed to match Atlanta's offer? I just don't have a problem with how the Suns handled the Johnson case, and I don't think that they made a mistake by not extending him a year earlier. They needed that year to find out what Johnson was really made of. What they learned was that (a) yes, he was still improving, but (b) he had a personality issue that would have never allowed him to function well as a third (or heaven forbid fourth) option.

And what we're seeing in Atlanta is that if you bow to Johnson's ego, give him one of the biggest contracts in the league, while surrounding him with a supporting cast that is above-average in talent but not strong enough in personality to challenge his role as Team Leader, you get a 50-and-fade team that drowns in massive trade speculation in every offseason and before every trading deadline. No thank you.

The Suns got away from Johnson when they could. It was the right call. Ask Hawks fans how they feel about his leadership.

this is flat out the most ridiculous post I've ever seen from you. if they had extended Johnson when they should have, they would have a very good player at a fantastic cost. and Johnson would never have had to be a leader on this team. We already had that with Nash, who was unquestioned.

and JJ has a "personality issue"... LOL. Yeah, he had a personality issue in the fact that if you treat him like dirt (which we did), he doesn't like it and wants to go elsewhere. Shocker.

you just can't ever admit you're wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion was absurdly overpaid and everyone knew it. The Suns never got a decent offer for him.

apparently KG was offered for him where he was the centerpiece of the deal. but I supposed that's not a good offer?

Last edited by a moderator:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns offered Marion, but Marion killed the deal is what I remember.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the opposite. Marion was offered for KG and was rejected.

i remember Marion being the centerpiece of two trades that didn't do go down... but not because of his worth as a player. The first was a straight up trade with Marion/the Hawks pick and KT which went bye bye when Atlanta hit the lotto and the second was the three team trade where Marion and filler was going to Boston, Al Jefferson and the Hawks pick was going to Minny and KG was coming here, but marion nixed that trade in the balls when he wouldn't agree to a contract extension with Boston because he didn't want to go there.

Grahamcracker (who used to be heavily inside the Suns inner circle) told me this numerous times and reports were all over the place on the three team trade that Marion's ******** put the kibosh on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05