Pittsburgh/Arizona Draft Trade Rumor...

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to the pick value chart... a VERY interesting and perhaps imminent trade may be on the horizon... let me pose this trade scernio..

Steelers trade: Alan Faneca (extention signed) #15, #46

Steelers recieve: #5

The move is essitially the equivilant of trading Faneca for a late 2nd round pick...With faneca openly voicing his discontent with Tomlin I DO NOT expect to see him in a Steeler uniform next season. Instead of trading him for a late 2nd, they use him as part of a trade into the top 5 of the draft.

With the #15 pick, to me, there are only a couple guys still there that would make sense:

Joe Staley (still a little reach, but many Gm's still think he is worth it, because he's still learning the position--enter Russ Grimm) or to a lesser Extent Lawrence Timmons or Darrelle Revis..

This would set up the following scernios IMO

1.Joe Staley
2a. Anothony Spencer/ Jon Beason
2b. David Harris/Eric Wright
3. Rufus Alexander/Buster Davis/Josh Wilson

Landing a combination of these players plus Faneca would be a Great Scernio for the Cardinals and would set them up better for for next season and the future.. IMO

Thoughts

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we did add Faneca then we could go after someone like Blalock or Ugoh to play at tackle .. and still have 2 picks in the 2nd to get a LB and CB/DE ...

I think Faneca would be a huge addition and solidify the Oline in the middle .. along with Johnson and Lutui that would give us some push ...

Then Wells can be moved back to tackle to fight it out with Gandy and Ross ... and hopefully one of the rookies can play well enough to start at LT ...

I'm not so sure I would go with Staley over the 2 guys I mentioned ...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15 is too high. If we are going to trade down, lets not trade down further than 9.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1.Joe Staley

At 15 you end up with Revis, Stanley or Nelson MTL.

The others won't be avail. at 2a and 2b. It's not even looking like 2b will be had at 2a possibly.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is this an actual "rumor" or is this your opinion?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Alan Faneca-G-SteelersApr. 23 - 2:09 pm et

John Clayton says it's "clear" that Steelers G Alan Faneca is angling to get the team to move him.

Clayton drops an interesting tidbit that Faneca actually showed up for a meeting before Pittsburgh minicamp, then left the next night. The Steelers probably won't want to pay him market value and he's hitting a contract year, so it's possible they could deal him.

Source: ESPN.com Insider

http://www.rotoworld.com/

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
At 15 would Willis be available (prob Not)? Maybe even Anderson the way he has fallen on some teams boards.

Then Blalock or Ugoh with the first 2nd rounder and a CB with the 2nd.

three picks in the first two rounds and a stud LG sounds good to me for moving back 10 spots in the draft.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At 15 would Willis be available (prob Not)? Myabe even Anderson the way he has fallen on some teams boards.

Then Blalock or Ugoh with the first 2nd rounder and a CB with the 2nd.

three picks in the first two rounds and a stud LG sounds good to me for moving back 10 spots in the draft.

I think Willis will be gone be that time but of course it is possible that he will be their.

As to Blalock or Ugoh I tend to agree. Though as there are only two elite tackles in this draft I think we have to go after one of them. Now I would take Joe Thomas if possible, but if Whisenhunt, Grimm and Graves truly believes Brown is the better one then fine by me. Trade down a bit, grap up some extra picks and take the tackle you want.

You cannot ignore this need.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I think Willis will be gone be that time but of course it is possible that he will be their.

As to Blalock or Ugoh I tend to agree. Though as there are only two elite tackles in this draft I think we have to go after one of them. Now I would take Joe Thomas if possible, but if Whisenhunt, Grimm and Graves truly believes Brown is the better one then fine by me. Trade down a bit, grap up some extra picks and take the tackle you want.

You cannot ignore this need.

The rumor is Faneca coming here for our #5 for him and their #15 and #46. that automatically takes us out of Thomas (obviously and Brown territory.

You'd then be looking at Staley at 15 and that's somewhat of a reach. Willis will be gone.

The 2nd round options are at #38 Blaylock possibly and that's pretty much it. At #46 you could take a flyer on Sears or Ugoh.

Another factor is they are probobly targeting Free, Marten and Barbrie in the 3rd round. But that could take us out of a very effective DE or CB possibly.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Cards make this deal, I am betting that the guy they target at #15 would be Adam Carriker. Whizenhunt has made it clear that he wants a more physical presence on the defensive line and Carriker would be a versatile guy who could play left defensive end in a 4-3 or either defensive end position in the 3-4.

Adam Carriker, Alan Faneca and a 2nd rounder for our 5th pick. Not a bad deal at all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we wind up with the #15 pick, I'd hope we'd be looking at Posluszny or Beason if we're leaning towards filling needs, and a CB if we're leaning towards BPA. There will be some excellent CBs available at 15.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The rumor is Faneca coming here for our #5 for him and their #15 and #46. that automatically takes us out of Thomas (obviously and Brown territory.

I know.

I realize it was a bit untidy but my point were, like you say, that it will take us out of range for the two tackles.

In my oppinion that is not acceptable. We should at least be capable of getting Brown.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
According to the pick value chart... a VERY interesting and perhaps imminent trade may be on the horizon... let me pose this trade scernio..

Steelers trade: Alan Faneca (extention signed) #15, #46

Steelers recieve: #5

The move is essitially the equivilant of trading Faneca for a late 2nd round pick...With faneca openly voicing his discontent with Tomlin I DO NOT expect to see him in a Steeler uniform next season. Instead of trading him for a late 2nd, they use him as part of a trade into the top 5 of the draft.

With the #15 pick, to me, there are only a couple guys still there that would make sense:

Joe Staley (still a little reach, but many Gm's still think he is worth it, because he's still learning the position--enter Russ Grimm) or to a lesser Extent Lawrence Timmons or Darrelle Revis..

This would set up the following scernios IMO

1.Joe Staley

Landing a combination of these players plus Faneca would be a Great Scernio for the Cardinals and would set them up better for for next season and the future.. IMO

Thoughts

What is the source of this rumor? Is there any merit to it?

I can't imagine the Steelers giving up Faneca (an All Pro) and their first and second round picks, especially when they will have to fill his spot.

If this were a legit offer...the Cardinals should hop all over this.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
What is the source of this rumor? Is there any merit to it?

I can't imagine the Steelers giving up Faneca (an All Pro) and their first and second round picks, especially when they will have to fill his spot.

If this were a legit offer...the Cardinals should hop all over this.

Steelers Boards are also discussing this topic, so there must be something to it. Some Steeler fans think we need to give up our 2nd round pick for Faneca. If that were the case, I'd say DO IT!!!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Steelers Boards are also discussing this topic, so there must be something to it. Some Steeler fans think we need to give up our 2nd round pick for Faneca. If that were the case, I'd say DO IT!!!

Me too. We are talking about changing the mentality of the football team and you stand a far better chance of doing it adding an All Pro, no nonsense player in Faneca than some wet behind the ears rookie at #38.

Whiz should try everything he can to win right away...if this year is the same ol' Cardinals, it's going to be an even harder mountain to climb to expunge the stigma of losing in Arizona...he's got to get these players believing in his sytem, his philosophy and most importantly in themselves and their own capabilities.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wowza. Straight up? I would do that before the phone finished ringing.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Solid deal, but if we have to put in our 2nd round pick then forget it.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. The 5th overall is worth 1,700, the 15th is worth 1,050. That is a 650 point difference (equal to a late first) and they want a 2nd on top of that?

You guys are willing to give up a 1st and 2nd for Faneca?

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Steelers open to draft day deals
Monday, April 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are more likely to make a trade and move down the ladder in the first round from their No. 15 position than move up, they said today.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that would include guard Alan Faneca.

"Sure, we're open to everything," Colbert said today. "You never say never on any given situation. If you say you wouldn't do it and then all of a sudden someone proposes something crazy, you have to consider it."

Would that include Faneca, their six-time Pro Bowl guard who is unhappy with the financial terms left on the final year of his contract? There have been rumors that the Cardinals would like to acquire Faneca from the Steelers and reunite him with offensive line coach Russ Grimm and new Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"We touch base with every team," Colbert said. "We never get into a specific name; most teams don't, unless they come out publicly and say that. You never mention a player's name unless you're sure that player's not going to be with you, because if that player's name gets out in trade talks and you don't trade him, now you have a problem on your hands."

Colbert said picking up extra draft choices in a trade to move further down in the first round is enticing.

"It's less likely we'll go up from the 15th position because it's very expensive to get up into that top echelon," Colbert said. "Trading down could be an option for us. This is probably a good draft where more picks midway through is probably a good thing because there are a lot of good players that are going to be available in those 3-4-round areas. That could be interesting to us."

The Steelers have nine draft picks in the draft that takes place Saturday and Sunday.

Here is the MB Discussion...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=68#S=68&F=1897&T=433714

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Faneca would play LG and Deuce RG? Interesting idea, Faneca is a hell of a player and will be 31 in December so he's got a few good years left one would assume.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. The 5th overall is worth 1,700, the 15th is worth 1,050. That is a 450 point difference (equal to the 45th overall) and they want a 2nd on top of that?

You guys are willing to give up a 1st and two 2nd round picks for Faneca?

Thats not what it says. It says #5 for there 1st and 2nd plus faneca

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. The 5th overall is worth 1,700, the 15th is worth 1,050. That is a 450 point difference (equal to the 45th overall) and they want a 2nd on top of that?

You guys are willing to give up a 1st and two 2nd round picks for Faneca?
I don't think so.

I think what people are saying is that the below sounds equitable, and in fact, a very good deal for the cards.

AZ gets: Faneca, #15 & #46
PIT gets: #5

When the topic of giving up our second rounder comes into the equation, seems most have said "no thanks."

Except for abomb, who seemed to think it meant:

AZ gets: Faneca
PIT gets: AZ's second rounder

If that were the case (Faneca straight-up for our second pick), I'd do it, too.