Pittsburgh/Arizona Draft Trade Rumor...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No such thing as a 3 year rebuild in todays NFL anymore Skkorp. Especially considering the talent that is clearly evident on this team.

Yes, clearly evident. The evidence is our 5-11 record, the fact that we lost to the team picking #1 overall in the NFL draft, our 18th overall offense, and our 29th overall defense.

Clearly.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Steelers deal will be pulled off. We'll wait till next yr. on Fanica and IF we need him we'll offer him something.

I think that Brown (who played well last yr. and is younger - but not up to Faneca's level) and Lutui are both pretty serviceable guys there. I am concerned about the b/u's and so are the Cards with moving Wells back there. I could see us moving a 3rd/5th this yr. and another pick next yr. (a 4th-5th) to aquire Faneca this yr. , but the #5 can not be oart if that deal.

We'll get better offers and probobly just make that pick because we should have either Thomas or AP or both to choose from. There should be some SICK offers to trade down and we should weigh them all before proceeding. Really , as has been stated we shouldn't go any lower than 12. 15 is stretching the talent again and you'd have to be happy with Puluzney or Staley or Nelson there to get the most out of it.

The elite linemen won't fall that far, IMO. They'd also have to throw us a 2nd for sure. I still wouldn't take it for AP. And you'd have to weigh what your giving up by passing on Thomas and taking Staley there.

Now that makes sense. :thumbup:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, clearly evident. The evidence is our 5-11 record, the fact that we lost to the team picking #1 overall in the NFL draft, our 18th overall offense, and our 29th overall defense.

Clearly.

I know very clear. No excuse for it. Clearly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clearly.

We lost to the 49ers two years ago too (twice). We have to lose to the #1 team one more time to complete our 3 year rebuilding cycle.

:(

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We lost to the 49ers two years ago too (twice). We have to lose to the #1 team one more time to complete our 3 year rebuilding cycle.

:(

Don't forget they also lost to the Texans in 2005. My favorite Denny Green legacy, losing to the team with the #1 selection in the following year's draft four times in three years.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1). What ideal reason would the Steelers have to move up to five?
Peterson. Willie Parker isn't real big and likely to wear down after a certain number of career-carries.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1). What ideal reason would the Steelers have to move up to five?
Peterson. Willie Parker isn't real big and likely to wear down after a certain number of career-carries.

I could see Steelers going after MIchael Bush 2nd or 3rd round. Steelers are worn out. They need help. Who knows what the new guy wants. I don't.

PFW says they need;

Pttsburgh LB CB DE OT OG Looking for help at ILB, OLB; likely to address one or both positions on draft's first day. Steelers lack lock-down CB. They're also in market for another rugged DE; Nebraska's Adam Carriker is said to have caught their eye. OT, OG spots need bolstering.

Unless they want Gaines Adams or Thomas. Maybe they are tired of Ben?????

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
According to NFL Radio's Pat Kiwan.

There is talk about our 2nd round pick for Alan Faneca.

I personally like it but would really like it if we can get him for a 3rd rounder.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
According to NFL Radio's Pat Kiwan.

There is talk about our 2nd round pick for Alan Faneca.

I personally like it but would really like it if we can get him for a 3rd rounder.

Is that just a second rounder, or does it include switching picks in the first round? If it is just the second rounder, it'd be a green light from me. If it also involves switching, no dice.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Is that just a second rounder, or does it include switching picks in the first round? If it is just the second rounder, it'd be a green light from me. If it also involves switching, no dice.

Nope.

2nd rounder straight up.

But that will kill us unless we trade down. Our 2nd round pick is a good place to help out with LB depth.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

It only gets a green light from me if we have an extension in place at the time of the trade. We better not gamble in thinking that we can just work something out during the season. And the Cards will have to get very creative in that deal in order to have him on the team and not have to cut anyone getting rid of the depth that Wiz and graves worked so hard for.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Trent Green goes for a 7th rounder, how is Faneca worth a 2nd(#37 overall )? I say 3rd rounder at the most. :thumbup:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If Trent Green goes for a 7th rounder, how is Faneca worth a 2nd(#37 overall )? I say 3rd rounder at the most. :thumbup:

Trent Green didn't go to the Pro Bowl last year. Also, Faneca didn't have a nearly career ending concussion last season.

I'm all for switching from 5 to 15, OR giving up our 2nd rounder.

But not both.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Green didn't go to the Pro Bowl last year. Also, Faneca didn't have a nearly career ending concussion last season.

I'm all for switching from 5 to 15, OR giving up our 2nd rounder.

But not both.

Trying to put it all in perspective is all.

If Dolphins sign Trent Green (supposedly a done deal ), Raiders are rumored to then try to get Daunte Culpepper, whom Dolphins would love to unload. If they get Culpepper, they won't draft Jamarcus Russell. Instead they draft Calvin Johnson. So technically the whole draft hinges on Trent Green who is only worth a 7th rounder. Again I ask about Faneca's worth. ;)

BTW, the implications of Raiders going for Johnson, instead of Russell, changes the first 10 picks in the entire draft.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Maybe they are tired of Ben?????

Not this quickly..

If they were willing to give Kordell Stewart 6 seasons, Ben will be given a mulligan for one lackluster one in the record book.

Let me just put it this way.. The Cardinals have a better chance of keeping the pick and drafting Quinn or Russell themselves than the Steelers do of trading up for one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not this quickly..

If they were willing to give Kordell Stewart 6 seasons, Ben will be given a mulligan for one lackluster one in the record book.

Let me just put it this way.. The Cardinals have a better chance of keeping the pick and drafting Quinn or Russell themselves than the Steelers do of trading up for one.

:shakesfist

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

First off, Green's 37.

Second off, he's not regarded as one of the top players at his position.

Faneca, on the other hand, is 30 and still has a lot of gas left in the tank. He's also regarded as one of the top guards in the game.

Saying Faneca's not worth a 2nd because Trent Green's only fetching a 7th is comparing apples to oranges.

Gambit

Reaction score
Ain't a trade yet. Everyone in Miami and KC say it is a done deal. It will be announced Friday is the word.

Great move by Miami if true. It's clear that Huard was the right QB for KC, but I think Green's still got some gas left in the tank.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great move by Miami if true. It's clear that Huard was the right QB for KC, but I think Green's still got some gas left in the tank.

Green's got about 2 years left in him. I think he will be the perfect mentor to Quinn :)

Here is the Hearld article that sums up the rumors.

Draft might provide Fins QB of future
Though the Dolphins are looking for a veteran signal-caller for this season, the team is still in search of the heir to its passing game.
By ARMANDO SALGUERO

Lost in the Trent Green trade speculation and the intrigue about Daunte Culpepper's soon-to-follow trade or release is the fact the Dolphins still will be looking for their future quarterback even after the two dramas finally play out.

And that's where this weekend's NFL Draft serves as the climax to Miami's offseason quarterback search.

Because the Dolphins aren't just searching for one starting-caliber quarterback, but rather, they're trying to find two. The first player is expected to be a veteran to serve as steward over the 2007 season, the short-term fix to Miami's long-standing and long-term quarterback woes.

The second is supposed to be the heir to Miami's passing game. That rookie, drafted sometime Saturday, will be asked to carry Miami's quarterback hopes into the next decade.

''That's something that coach [Cam Cameron] and I have spent a lot of time on,'' Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller said. ``It's no secret we'd like to make the right choice, if a quarterback is in the future for us. Again, we don't know because I can't tell you what else is going to be there and what our other choices will be.

``But I do know this: All of the guys, and there are five or six guys who are probably first-day worthy, all have ability to play in this league. I think the hardest part is sorting out the intangibles and we've spent a lot of time on that.''

THE BIG RIDDLE

In fact, the Dolphins have spent more time trying to solve the quarterback riddle than they have spent on practically any other position.

Mueller and Cameron traveled to South Bend, Ind., to meet and work out Notre Dame's Brady Quinn. They traveled to Baton Rouge, La., for an on-campus workout of Louisiana State's JaMarcus Russell. But realizing both those players likely will be out of reach barring a Saturday trade-up scenario, the Miami brain trust also has done homework on likely second-round picks.

The Dolphins have two second-round picks and one of those could be used on Brigham Young's John Beck, Stanford's Trent Edwards or Michigan State's Drew Stanton. All have met with Cameron, Mueller or both at least twice in recent weeks. East Carolina's James Pinkney is a later-round possibility.

Mueller and Cameron are conducting a wide-ranging search while looking for a focused set of skills, with the ability to think quickly among the most important of those.

''I think guys need to be able to think to play the position,'' Cameron said. 'But, it's a lot more than that and that's kind of why guys tend to think, `Well, I'm a smart guy, I can play quarterback in the NFL.' Then you try to find out if they can think fast.''

Cameron has tested the mental speed of the quarterbacks he has talked to this offseason by simply asking them to diagram their passing schemes -- under pressure of a time limit.

''What I like to try to do -- usually we'll have it down to the group of guys that we think can think at the level that we need to run this system, but then I want to try find out, can they think fast? That is kind of the next step,'' Cameron said. ``Then the ultimate test is, can they think fast under pressure?

``Take anything we think we know and decrease the time element, it's amazing what happens to people. We are looking for that guy that when there is five seconds on that 40-second clock or five seconds in the game, that's like two days to him, the game is in slow motion. We've all seen those guys operate and that's the guy we're looking for. I would say the guys that have a tough time thinking fast under pressure are going to struggle in this business.''

The Dolphins don't think Quinn is one of those that will struggle. People within the organization say Quinn is the quarterback most likely to succeed in a system similar to the one Miami runs and that is why the Dolphins covet Quinn.

That does not cast aspersions on Russell's potential and great athletic skill. But the Dolphins simply think Quinn is a quicker thinker.

And Quinn, not surprisingly, agrees.

THE TOP CHOICE?

Although he is not nearly as gifted as Russell physically or athletically, Quinn thinks he should be the first quarterback chosen, something the Dolphins are frankly rooting against.

''I'm a competitor and as a competitor I want to be the best, I want to be first,'' Quinn said. ``The best player in the draft is the one that gets picked first. That's why I want to get picked first. Nothing against any of the other guys, but that's how I'm thinking.''

Draft experts have criticized Quinn for not playing well in big games although he has never thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in a game against a winning team. They've also criticized his ability to throw on the move and throw long passes with accuracy.

But Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, who mentored Tom Brady during his days as New England's offensive coordinator, believes the team that gets Quinn is getting a star.

''They're going to get a combination of Tommy and Peyton [Manning],'' Weis said. ``I've heard from at least 20 teams that have talked to Brady [Quinn] and say this is the closest interview they've seen to Peyton.''

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, Green's 37.

Second off, he's not regarded as one of the top players at his position.

Faneca, on the other hand, is 30 and still has a lot of gas left in the tank. He's also regarded as one of the top guards in the game.

Saying Faneca's not worth a 2nd because Trent Green's only fetching a 7th is comparing apples to oranges.[/QUOTE]

I had my tongue planted firmly in my cheek when I wrote that, but seriously, trades don't happen very often in the NFL and wheb they do the draft choice compensation isn't very high.

Gambit

Reaction score
Here is the Hearld article that sums up the rumors.

I don't think Quinn lasts that long. I think some team will end up with Kevin Kolb in the second and will be very pleased (as an alumnus of UH Law, I have some degree of Coog pride)