PJ Tucker arrested for "super extreme" DUI

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And many SUV's get horrible fuel economy. My Dodge NITRO mid-size gets 20-21 mpg at best under ideal highway conditions. But I love it!

What I can't understand is, after the good ol' station wagon disappeared, it reappeared as a crossover. A station wagon on a small truck chassis. How can we let the oil companies and car manufacturers manipulate us like that?

On a related note, we are now back to sending the military to Iraq. Related, because in his farewell Presidential speech in 1960, President (and former General of the Army) Dwight Eisenhower warned us about the military-industrial complex. Who better to know that than he?

And the U.S. middle class disappears. But ballplayers prosper.

Errntknght

Reaction score
And many SUV's get horrible fuel economy. My Dodge NITRO mid-size gets 20-21 mpg at best under ideal highway conditions. But I love it!

What I can't understand is, after the good ol' station wagon disappeared, it reappeared as a crossover. A station wagon on a small truck chassis. How can we let the oil companies and car manufacturers manipulate us like that?

On a related note, we are now back to sending the military to Iraq. Related, because in his farewell Presidential speech in 1960, President (and former General of the Army) Dwight Eisenhower warned us about the military-industrial complex. Who better to know that than he?

And the U.S. middle class disappears. But ballplayers prosper.

I thought about mentioning that, too. More gas burned means more pollution and pollution cost lives as well! In fact, SUVs are more frowned upon due to their extra gas consumption than they are for the extra carnage they cause in accidents.

Cars are sacred and we feel totally entitled to choose our 'wheels' using any criteria we want - we definitely do not want to think about our choices causing more people to be killed. Actually both problems will be largely solved when cars drive themselves which is now on the horizon.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a little different perspective on killing people with cars.

Some years ago I read an article that stated that SUV's killed 3 times as many people in other vehicles they collided with as ordinary sedans did. (The occupants in the SUVs were killed less frequently than the sedan occupants, of course.) I imagine the relative rate is not that high anymore with so many other SUVs out there to collide with.

Lets suppose that the statistics on people killed in accidents showed that say, five years of driving an SUV would have the same probability of killing someone as a person driving drunk in one episode. (I'm talking about the excess probabilty of SUVs over sedans.) Don't you think its somewhat odd that no one expresses moral outrage over people driving SUVs while drunk driving ignites a firestorm?

The media has targeted SUV's for many years. The headlines treat them just like guns. They are both able to kill people on their own according to the press. :D

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may not add a whole lot to the discussion but I have often heard from others:

"The biggest car wins."

I even heard a judge on court TV say they drive an SUV because they feel safer. So that feeling is out there.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With the preponderance of crew cab trucks on the road today (which have made them another category of family vehicles), an SUV is a pickup truck with an enclosed bed, whether a 1/2-ton, a 3/4 ton or mid-size/compact.

I am curious how many of you who have generalized about sport utility vehicles on the thread alone . . . drive pickup trucks.

That would be funny at best or hypocritical at worst. :)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just a 3 game suspension for Tucker for his "super extreme" DUI, what a joke.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Im pleased the NBA didnt view PJ's "super extreme" DUI punishable with a "super extreme" suspension. 3 days suspension -no pay + 3 days in jail / fines, seems about right. End of story.

Phoenix219

Rookie
Reaction score
Just a 3 game suspension for Tucker for his "super extreme" DUI, what a joke.

Yeah, how dare the NBA punish him the same as others doing the same thing, and *after* the courts have *closed* his case. He should be strung up and an example made out of him! We need to hold him to completely different standards! Its not like he was apologetic or manned up and dealt with his situation!

[/sarcasm]

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, how dare the NBA punish him the same as others doing the same thing, and *after* the courts have *closed* his case. He should be strung up and an example made out of him! We need to hold him to completely different standards! Its not like he was apologetic or manned up and dealt with his situation!

[/sarcasm]

It's a good thing that I said I'm completely fine with how the NBA punishes other players who commit the same crime.

/sarcasm

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser