PJ Tucker arrested for "super extreme" DUI

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
It's not the end of the world. Hope he gets the memo and learns his lesson.:slap:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why make a big deal out of it, he didn't kill anybody. When a sniper climbs a tower and shoots into a crowd, do we make a big deal out of it if he misses? Of course not.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part that I do question, did the Suns really know of the charges when they signed Tucker to a contract? I know the answer given is yes, but why not sign Tucker to a lesser contract given the charges. This does not make sense to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The part that I do question, did the Suns really know of the charges when they signed Tucker to a contract? I know the answer given is yes, but why not sign Tucker to a lesser contract given the charges. This does not make sense to me.

Yeah, I'm not ready to scream and yell about that just yet and I'm not ready to declare Tucker guilty either. My comments about this situation assume his guilt even though I know there might be more to the story. And I sure hope there is. But I have no tolerance for drunk driving. There's no excuse good enough for it in today's world.

Steve

Reaction score
This is very disappointing from a guy that worked so hard to get to this point. I am glad he is on my team with as well as he played. That being said this is a reprehensible act. When I was 19 my best friend at the time was hit by a drunk driver. For 33 years he has had to live in care facilities. For this offense PJ deserves to go to jail. I hope he owns this and will take the punishment for what he did. Lets hope he gets a designated driver

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Why make a big deal out of it, he didn't kill anybody. When a sniper climbs a tower and shoots into a crowd, do we make a big deal out of it if he misses? Of course not.

Steve

:|

OK. I don't like drunk drivers either. Then again, imo 50% of the drivers on the road are a danger to society. Maybe we can just outlaw vehicles until they drive themselves.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I guess there may have been more thought into the comment McD made when Tuckers deal was introduced to the media. "The foreseeable future" remark now makes a lot more sense.

He made a big mistake, but who hasn't. I'm betting many saying the Suns shouldn't have signed him have driven at least one time when they shouldn't have. May not have been caught, but that's irrelevant. He was wasted with that level. Stupid to drink like that, but not surprising he made a poor decision when that drunk. I believe this is his first issue with the law. Hopefully he'll learn from it and never repeat his poor choice. Nobody got hurt thankfully so he deserves the opportunity to prove to the team, fans, and himself that this was a one time mistake.

People are far to harsh. I don't like drunk driving and have lost a few friends and a family member to others doing it. I don't drink either, but I partied in my youth and made stupid choices at times. He's a bit older and should have self control, but once is forgivable, twice and he's out.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tucker is 100% at fault and in the wrong, but the report was that he slowly went past a STOP sign, not that he was speeding. Of course him driving in any fashion is wrong, but it's difficult to injure anybody when going as slow as Tucker was, or may have, been going ... Maybe he was driving a few blocks to get to the nearest public transportation, knowing that he couldn't drive in his condition?

There is definitely an amount of respect lost toward PJ Tucker from this incident, but the "amount of respect lost" is still up in the air depending on the circumstances of the situation.

Lol what a moronic post.

I'm too classy otherwise I would say that "Maybe if a drunk driver took the life of someone close to you then you would know how serious it is".

I don't give a s**t if he was driving drunk for just 1 mile, he's still a CRIMINAL for doing so.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He made a big mistake, but who hasn't.

A mistake that big? I'm hoping most of us haven't. This isn't driving 45 in a 40 zone. There's a reason that mistakes of different sizes have penalties of different sizes. Do you really think that most of this board has done something that would subject them to a 45-day prison sentence if they were caught? I sure as hell haven't.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there may have been more thought into the comment McD made when Tuckers deal was introduced to the media. "The foreseeable future" remark now makes a lot more sense.

He made a big mistake, but who hasn't. I'm betting many saying the Suns shouldn't have signed him have driven at least one time when they shouldn't have. May not have been caught, but that's irrelevant. He was wasted with that level. Stupid to drink like that, but not surprising he made a poor decision when that drunk. I believe this is his first issue with the law. Hopefully he'll learn from it and never repeat his poor choice. Nobody got hurt thankfully so he deserves the opportunity to prove to the team, fans, and himself that this was a one time mistake.

People are far to harsh. I don't like drunk driving and have lost a few friends and a family member to others doing it. I don't drink either, but I partied in my youth and made stupid choices at times. He's a bit older and should have self control, but once is forgivable, twice and he's out.

I don't think so. It's the kind of action that has to be viewed as zero tolerance IMO. This isn't the 60's or the 70's or even the 80's. We've moved past those times and everyone now knows the risks and the consequences of drunk driving. And if the facts of the case are as presented, he went so far beyond the rules that I'm just stunned the Suns signed him anyway.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tucker was an idiot for not hiring a cab. He was very lucky that no one was hurt by his actions. I hope he takes the matter extremely seriously and gets some counseling to make sure that this NEVER happens again.

I'm not stunned that the Suns still signed him. Tucker is part of the Suns' family. You don't just throw out family. You get them help. See Tom Chambers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tucker was an idiot for not hiring a cab. He was very lucky that no one was hurt by his actions. I hope he takes the matter extremely seriously and gets some counseling to make sure that this NEVER happens again.

I'm not stunned that the Suns still signed him. Tucker is part of the Suns' family. You don't just throw out family. You get them help. See Tom Chambers.

That's a fair point, I'll give it some thought. I was okay with what they did with Chambers, I'm not sure why this is bothering me more. It's probably the timing with the contract but I'm not sure.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not saying that it is the Suns job to punish PJ. That should be the law. He should go to jail. The league should also have a policy on this--suspensions without pay twice the jail time or something.

I think the team should be punished along with the player. THAT will impact evaluations in the free agent process. Am I Ok with rehabbing and bringing a guy back? Of course! I am not OK with saying "we all make mistakes."

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
What happened to the lively discussion that was going on yesterday? Was it moved or deleted?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I am sort of shocked by the Suns being aware but still signing him. I doubt that would have happened under JC watch but this is a new day. I have seen several discussions were Suns fans have said the team needed to be "less boy scout".

The question to fans here is which is the better move? Should we have signed the dude or moved on?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The question to fans here is which is the better move? Should we have signed the dude or moved on?
I am really surprised that the team re-signed him while he was facing an EXTREME DUI situation, knowing that part of his appeal is leadership.

When you earn/are elevated to a higher profile, with it comes extra responsibility. Such is the price of fame. It is part of professional sports.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This whole off-season has sure turned sour for me. Yuck. Drunkards and prima donnas. What joy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say I am sort of shocked by the Suns being aware but still signing him. I doubt that would have happened under JC watch but this is a new day. I have seen several discussions were Suns fans have said the team needed to be "less boy scout".

I will leave this decision to the Suns. I have no control. It has been discussed in detail. However, what continues to perplex me, if the Suns knew about the incident before they signed him (their choice), why offer such a significant contract of 3 years 16.5 million with $12,700,000 guaranteed. Is it possible the Suns really did not know about it before he signed? Or, another possibility, it is a stretch, could the Suns have been told the charges would be dropped before signing him. Afterall this incident occurred back in May. I know the Suns said they knew about it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm fine with them signing him even after the arrest if they are absolutely sure it's not gonna happen again but like MainStreet said I don't understand why we have him that much money instead of low balling him with like a $2-$3M/yr contract.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with them signing him even after the arrest if they are absolutely sure it's not gonna happen again but like MainStreet said I don't understand why we have him that much money instead of low balling him with like a $2-$3M/yr contract.

My guess is he would have gone elsewhere.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser