Plumlee might be another Mcdonough steal

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Our forward rotation as a whole looks awful, I think the vast majority of the league has us beat at both forward positions.

The center position isn't any better, until either Gortat or Len can prove himself healthy.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What I find interesting is how much people think Morris can improve. I fall on the opposite of that. We've seen what we're going to get with him--he might be a serviceable backup, but a starting PF in the NBA? No way. I don't see him improving enough to be anything else.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The center position isn't any better, until either Gortat or Len can prove himself healthy.

Well, thats because of injury. Our forwards are healthy, and Butler and Tucker are the only ones I can see even getting out of their warmups on a decent team.

And I guess Gortat is playing in Europe right now, the Suns cleared him when he came back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is how much people think Morris can improve. I fall on the opposite of that. We've seen what we're going to get with him--he might be a serviceable backup, but a starting PF in the NBA? No way. I don't see him improving enough to be anything else.

I think most people would agree with you, he is what he is. I don't think he's a finished product but he's not going to get any longer and that pretty much establishes his limits. I hold out hope that he will play a little smarter and if he does that he'll become a serviceable forward. He'll never be more than a quality backup/below average starter but that's better than nothing.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. This makes Frye look all the better.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Morris defense involves fouling about every damn time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, to be fair I actually somewhat agree. If healthy Frye is the best PF on this roster. But thats more a reflection on how awful the other options are, because I think Frye is pretty lousy.
We can't even categorize Frye as a full PF (which on the Suns means getting playing time at Center).

On offense, he is a third Wing. On defense, he does not play true to his size.

Over the course of a season, even if he is completely healthy, he should be instant . . . gimmick offense and not part of a regular rotation. A man without a position.

'Sort of a 7-foot Leandro Barbosa, with one NBA skill in his arsenal -- the 3-point shot (when he is on).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can't even categorize Frye as a full PF (which on the Suns means getting playing time at Center).

Over the course of a season, even if he is completely healthy, he should be instant . . . gimmick offense and not part of a regular rotation. A man without a position.

'Sort of a 7-foot Leandro Barbosa, with one NBA skill in his arsenal -- the 3-point shot (when he is on).

Yup.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

That may be true (it isn't), but the fact remains that when healthy he is the best PF on the roster. Right now, that is the position of most need, even with health scares at the C spot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd settle for a Tim Thomas impersonation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want him to coast for 4 years and then turn it on during his contract year?

Steve

But did he turn it on with the Suns. :)

Actually I think Thomas was a perfect fit for DA's system but he never returned to the Suns the next season to find out.

I liked how Thomas tormented the Lakers. This alone gives me fond memories.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But did he turn it on with the Suns. :)

Actually I think Thomas was a perfect fit for DA's system but he never returned to the Suns the next season to find out.

I liked how Thomas tormented the Lakers. This alone gives me fond memories.

He was a perfect fit for that system but I wouldn't have expected much from him if he had returned the next season on a longer term contract. The guy walked into the NBA with HOF talent but he so rarely used it.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Or maybe he is saying Barb had one skill in his arsenal?
Exactly. In the Brazilian Blur's arsenal, it was speed. In Frye's, it is being a 3-point shooter in the body of a power player.

Barbosa had the body of a Point Guard with none of the skills comparable to NBA Point Guards. Frye has the body of a PF with none of the skills comparable to NBA Power Forwards.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
6'11"-248. That's a legitimate size for a Power forward. And a waste of that size stationed 23 feet from the basket.
You might say he is a waste of that size no matter how close to the basket he is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. He is a waste of that size no matter how close to the basket he is. :)

That size allows Frye to get a good look at 3 point range and create mismatches. I will say this about Frye, I've never doubted his effort. Being a banger is just not his game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That size allows Frye to get a good look at 3 point range and create mismatches. I will say this about Frye, I've never doubted his effort. Being a banger is just not his game.

I agree. He is a great teammate and he always gives full effort. It's not even that he's not a banger though, he's more than willing to mix it up. It's just that he has no foundation, no base. If someone wants to move him, they move him and it's as simple as that. I honestly don't know if there is a player in the NBA that Channing could hold his position against.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The drawback is that it leaves us with 3 Wings and 1 power player, which neutralizes the one power player playing down low vs. two.

If the Suns categorize Frye as a "3" and stock the rest of the team accordingly, and if Frye could keep up with Small Forwards, it might work. But unfortunately, that would leave him as a Tweener.

And Tweeners have always held the Suns back, which was my earlier reference to Barbosa, with one NBA skill in his arsenal. Not the same skill, but one skill.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. He is a great teammate and he always gives full effort. It's not even that he's not a banger though, he's more than willing to mix it up. It's just that he has no foundation, no base. If someone wants to move him, they move him and it's as simple as that. I honestly don't know if there is a player in the NBA that Channing could hold his position against.

Steve

The drawback is that it leaves us with 3 Wings and 1 power player, which neutralizes the one power player playing down low vs. two.

If the Suns categorize Frye as a "3" and stock the rest of the team accordingly, and if Frye could keep up with Small Forwards, it might work. But unfortunately, that would leave him as a Tweener.

And Tweeners have always held the Suns back, which was my earlier reference to Barbosa, with one NBA skill in his arsenal. Not the same skill, but one skill.

All good takes. However, Frye seems to be a part of the Suns past and not their future. I just had to give Frye some kudos.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake