Porter Officially Out!!!!!!

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
LOL Shaq told Craig Sager its "unproffesional" to talk about that stuff during the ASG.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The way the last season ended, we can't fault Kerr for trying. Misjudging Porter's talent is squarely on him. But it's also no vindication for DA, or Nash and Bell rebelling against coach without giving him a chance.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The way the last season ended, we can't fault Kerr for trying. Misjudging Porter's talent is squarely on him. But it's also no vindication for DA, or Nash and Bell rebelling against coach without giving him a chance.

It is however the death of the great defense and deep bench experiement, this is a miserable failure overall, fans may not want to admit it because of hope but this is the start of a bad 5 years IMO. The Suns are not good enough nor are they "fun" enough to warrant any fan leeway, I see no other option other than to return to offense with no defense.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is however the death of the great defense and deep bench experiement, this is a miserable failure overall, fans may not want to admit it because of hope but this is the start of a bad 5 years IMO. The Suns are not good enough nor are they "fun" enough to warrant any fan leeway, I see no other option other than to return to offense with no defense.
It doesn't have to be but if it is this franchise will never even sniff a championship.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be but if it is this franchise will never even sniff a championship.

I guess that's true, but the Suns have a label, like the Steelers defense and toughness, Raiders airing it out, Lakers showtime, the Suns are for better or wose the team that runs, they'll never be able to shake it un,less it gets instant results. It reminds me of when Nebraska changed from running to passing, the fans bought it for a little while then wanted the old style back.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess that's true, but the Suns have a label, like the Steelers defense and toughness, Raiders airing it out, Lakers showtime, the Suns are for better or wose the team that runs, they'll never be able to shake it un,less it gets instant results. It reminds me of when Nebraska changed from running to passing, the fans bought it for a little while then wanted the old style back.
Spot the F on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should not fight their old identity until they have something better to replace it. This was the flaw in all the changes. Hiring Porter to replace DA was a cost cutting move. I said previously, the Suns should have replaced DA in 2010 when they started to rebuild. The Suns then could have gone after the players and coach to run a new system if DA's system was indeed flawed.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns should not fight their old identity until they have something better to replace it. This was the flaw in all the changes. Hiring Porter to replace DA was a cost cutting move. I said previously, the Suns should have replaced DA in 2010 when they started to rebuild. The Suns then could have gone after the players and coach to run a new system if DA's system was indeed flawed.
Disagree. It was a move made to attempt to change the culture here.
Unfortunately you can't change the culture without rebuilding the roster.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought you were all for changing the Suns run philosophy.
Most definately but to expect it to change in one offseason without rebuilding the roster is futile. Also, it doesn't help those that would like to change the culture that the majority of the SUNS fan base would rather just have an exciting product on the floor instead of a legitimate one.
Tree is right, this franchise has always been built on the foundation of offensive basketball and if thats ever going to change we're gonna need an owner that will concede possibly a couple years of boring basketball and dwindling ticket sales in order to build a defensive-minded championship team.
It's all about reputation and i just hope the SUNS don't fully concede to their's as a soft,fun to watch,titleless one trick pony.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. It was a move made to attempt to change the culture here.
Unfortunately you can't change the culture without rebuilding the roster.

To properly rebuild the Suns roster one needs the right coach and the right players to get the job done. Saying it doesn't make it happen.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I regret my optimism when he first arrived. I was blinded by being a Porter fan when he played.
Ditto... same here.

Turns out he is a terrible coach.

Question: Has Porter been the worst Suns coach in last 2 decades? I think yes... I think Frank Johnson comes a close second but Porter gets the nod.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto... same here.

Turns out he is a terrible coach.

Question: Has Porter been the worst Suns coach in last 2 decades? I think yes... I think Frank Johnson comes a close second but Porter gets the nod.

Have the Suns ever had a coach (like Porter) that didn't finish his first season with the team? I haven't checked.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Bill Simmons that it is not a surprise that the point guard of the Portland Trailblazers of the 90s would not be a great coach. Those teams had some serious meltdowns.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To properly rebuild the Suns roster one needs the right coach and the right players to get the job done. Saying it doesn't make it happen.
No it doesn't, but neither does saying it, then saying, "Aw hell, we hired the wrong guy and the fanbase is shrinking so lets just go back to to our roots of playing offensive smallball which has given us 2 Finals appearances and zero titles in our 40 yr history."
If the SUNS really want to get it right and change the culture they need to grow a pair and stay focused on the task at hand,regardless of the impatience of the spoiled rotten fanbase who are satisfied with 50 and fade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't, but neither does saying it, then saying, "Aw hell, we hired the wrong guy and the fanbase is shrinking so lets just go back to to our roots of playing offensive smallball which has given us 2 Finals appearances and zero titles in our 40 yr history."
If the SUNS really want to get it right and change the culture they need to grow a pair and stay focused on the task at hand,regardless of the impatience of the spoiled rotten fanbase who are satisfied with 50 and fade.

Just admit it, a highly successful coach (DA) was pushed out after only four full seasons.

So after DA is gone, please tout how much better the Suns were defensively and offensively with their current roster under Porter. I mean you believe culture is everything.

cly2tw

Reaction score
With running game, we can go as far as Nash carries us to and he can't do it with his age now. And Shaq clogging the paint aggreviates it even more. From these facts, if we hope to contend we either trade away Nash or Nash has to change his game, which is why Porter's initial idea of limiting Nash's ball handling and court time sounded so appealling. The problem is Porter couldn't make it work for whatever reason.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Kerr needs to be next. He is the "brains" behind this fiasco.
Yep he convinced sarver that he knew how to make a championship team, but isnt willing to even live in the same city to get the job done. Sad that sarver bought into kerrs smooth talk, but it shows that sarver should not be making too many basketball decisions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05