Porter Officially Out!!!!!!

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just admit it, a highly successful coach (DA) was pushed out after only four full seasons.

So after DA is gone, please tout how much better the Suns were defensively and offensively with their current roster under Porter. I mean you believe culture is everything.
-I will only admit to what i believe...so no. DA had his chance to prove that smallball is a legit way to compete with the big boys and he failed.
-You're not comprehending my meaning,you're only selling my point about the segment of the fanbase that isn't interested in changing the culture here.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Just admit it, a highly successful coach (DA) was pushed out after only four full seasons.

So after DA is gone, please tout how much better the Suns were defensively and offensively with their current roster under Porter. I mean you believe culture is everything.

But DA failed miserably in the first round and we saw how Nash was shut down completely and thus our offense. DA was not willing to change his style, including relying on Nash without any viable alternatives. That's when we had to part ways there.

Despite the bad situation, I have no interest to watch the "beautiful" and entertaining team under DA ever again with the Suns.:(

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yep LOL! mojo got what he wanted and it was worse, quite a bit worse. Sad how many posters thought that a defensive minded coach would make up for not having defensive minded players.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-I will only admit to what i believe...so no. DA had his chance to prove that smallball is a legit way to compete with the big boys and he failed.
-You're not comprehending my meaning,you're only selling my point about the segment of the fanbase that isn't interested in changing the culture of runner-up basketball.

I'm saying after only four full highly successful seasons with the Suns it was too early to prove anything about DA other than he was a very good coach. We'll never know what adjustments DA would have made this season with a more effective Shaq. Now that is not small ball.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Disagree. It was a move made to attempt to change the culture here.
Unfortunately you can't change the culture without rebuilding the roster.

No, the problem is that you can't change the culture without having something to say. Any idiot can say "We're going to play tough defense." That doesn't accomplish anything. You have to teach the players what you mean, recognize situations, prepare for individual opponents. Remember, this is a coach whose game plan for defending the Warriors including letting Azibuike bomb open threes all day long.

Porter didn't fail because he had the wrong system for the roster, and he didn't fail because the players were unwilling to listen to him. He failed because he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But DA failed miserably in the first round and we saw how Nash was shut down completely and thus our offense. DA was not willing to change his style, including relying on Nash without any viable alternatives. That's when we had to part ways there.

Despite the bad situation, I have no interest to watch the "beautiful" and entertaining team under DA ever again with the Suns.:(
I have no problem with Gentry focusing on running as long as it's done when the opportunity presents itself(unlike DA who was determined to prove a point) and IF the primary focus is on stopping people instead of just outscoring them.
Again, it'll be a hard sell as long as Nash & Amare are in the lockerroom IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep LOL! mojo got what he wanted and it was worse, quite a bit worse. Sad how many posters thought that a defensive minded coach would make up for not having defensive minded players.

I do not understand even how Sarver/ Kerr could have been so simplistic.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the SUNS really want to get it right and change the culture they need to grow a pair and stay focused on the task at hand,regardless of the impatience of the spoiled rotten fanbase who are satisfied with 50 and fade.

Here's the thing, though:

* This particular roster isn't going to win a championship as a defensive team. Of that we can be certain.

* In two years, almost no one on the current roster will still be on the team.

So the point is, why instill a "defensive culture" with a bunch of players who (a) can't do it and (b) are leaving anyway? The time to change the culture is when there is some young talent on the roster. If you load up your roster with offense-oriented veterans who have reached the ends of their careers, you play offense.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No, the problem is that you can't change the culture without having something to say. Any idiot can say "We're going to play tough defense." That doesn't accomplish anything. You have to teach the players what you mean, recognize situations, prepare for individual opponents. Remember, this is a coach whose game plan for defending the Warriors including letting Azibuike bomb open threes all day long.

Porter didn't fail because he had the wrong system for the roster, and he didn't fail because the players were unwilling to listen to him. He failed because he didn't have a clue what he was doing.
:rolleyes:Where oh where was i defending Porter as a coach?
I was responding to the statement that DA was let go in favor of Porter for cost-cutting reasons.
Which is BS.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You may get your wish.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was responding to the statement that DA was let go in favor of Porter for cost-cutting reasons.
Which is BS.

This was noted in the Kerr interviews back then... that Kerr had no intention of paying a salary comparable to DA's to a new coach. Check your facts. It's there. Sarver/ Kerr thought they could do just as well with a cheaper coach.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here's the thing, though:

* This particular roster isn't going to win a championship as a defensive team. Of that we can be certain.
Agree.

* In two years, almost no one on the current roster will still be on the team.
So what?
So the point is, why instill a "defensive culture" with a bunch of players who (a) can't do it and (b) are leaving anyway?
Why not?

The time to change the culture is when there is some young talent on the roster.
No. You move those veterans pieces out now while they still have some value. It's like saying i'll quit smoking next week when i'm in a better mood.
You make a committment and do it with more than just words....you do it by taking action.
If you load up your roster with offense-oriented veterans who have reached the ends of their careers, you play offense.
Why? To appease the fans? The players? I completely disagree but like i said before, if the SUNS plan on standing pat with the roster till the offseason(again) what have they accomplished this year? Nothing.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This was noted in the Kerr interviews back then... that Kerr had no intention of paying a salary comparable to DA's to a new coach. Check your facts. It's there. Sarver/ Kerr thought they could do just as well with a cheaper coach.
The fact that they let a highly paid HC walk in order to hire an inexperienced thus cheap HC that would say "how high?" when they asked him to jump is a convienient fact to back up your statement. .....and the fact that Sarver/Kerr had asked DA(their employee) to tweak it and he refused had nothing to do with it?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that they let a highly paid HC walk in order to hire an inexperienced thus cheap HC that would say "how high?" when they asked him to jump is a convienient fact to back up your statement. .....and the fact that Sarver/Kerr had asked DA(their employee) to tweak it and he refused had nothing to do with it?

DA was too smart to let a backseat driver drive his car. It seems after the Porter fiasco, DA was right.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Im totally in favor of this move. We need a clean slate going into the second half of the season if we want a shot at the playoffs. In retrospect, Gentry should have been the coach all along with better assistants hired around to help with defense, etc.

Now that the move has been made to 86 the coach, you might want to keep Amare on the team and run the offense through him and see what happens. I do hope that his 16-18 ft jumper comes back.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kerr needs to be next. He is the "brains" behind this fiasco.

Kerr is just carrying out the orders of a moron. Porter was kerr's screw up, but the other moves it's hard to judge what kerr's influence was.

Btw, Jerry Colangelo isn't off the hook on this stuff either, the suns are supposedly his baby yet he sells them to the first person waving a wad of cash in front of his face?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
imo, either shaq or nash needs to go.

the way i see it, nash needs a DA type system to run & gun. spread offense where he can dish to shooters and finishers. he's not the typical PG who lobs the ball in to the post and waits for the play to come to him.

and shaq needs a kobe/wade type player to flourish, where either of them can be the focal point of the offense rather than a balanced attack. i see flashes of the kobe and shaq relationship on the court during this allstar game. the suns dont have a kobe or wade on their roster.

with gentry as our new coach, and the personel we have on this current suns roster, getting rid of shaq would make the most sense right at this moment.

jmo

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

the way i see it, nash needs a DA type system to run & gun. spread offense where he can dish to shooters and finishers. he's not the typical PG who lobs the ball in to the post and waits for the play to come to him.

and shaq needs a kobe/wade type player to flourish, where either of them can be the focal point of the offense rather than a balanced attack. i see flashes of the kobe and shaq relationship on the court during this allstar game. the suns dont have a kobe or wade on their roster.

with gentry as our new coach, and the personel we have on this current suns roster, getting rid of shaq would make the most sense right at this moment.

jmo

I agree that ridding of shaq would make the most sense, but that has a snowballs chance in hell of happening. I am curious to see what D'Antoni left behind with Gentry. The duo did coach for five years together, so I have to imagine that something resonated with him while they were together.

AceP

Registered
Reaction score

jmo

It can't be more obvious that any hope for the Suns to contend is over. Not this season, nor next. Shaq should go. The Dallas offer makes perfect sense for both team, no other team could/would make a better offer. Maybe a deal is already agreed upon, just wait after ASG to announce.

By the way, they should also trade Hill to a contender. Hill doesn't deserve to end his career this way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kerr is just carrying out the orders of a moron. Porter was kerr's screw up, but the other moves it's hard to judge what kerr's influence was.

Btw, Jerry Colangelo isn't off the hook on this stuff either, the suns are supposedly his baby yet he sells them to the first person waving a wad of cash in front of his face?

Anyone that thinks that Sarver is making every basketball decision for this team is delusional.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No. You move those veterans pieces out now while they still have some value.

Evidently they have a lot less value than we thought. All of the semi-confirmed rumored packages for Stoudemire suck, and you can be sure that Nash and O'Neal have even less value than that. So why trade them for table scraps who aren't going to be a meaningful part of the future?

It's like saying i'll quit smoking next week when i'm in a better mood.

Not really. It's like saying I'll start my diet next week, after all of my hard-partying relatives are through with their holiday visit. The Suns can't start rebuilding until 2010, no matter what moves they make now. Might as well make the best of these two years in the holding pattern.

JustinD

Veteran
Reaction score

thats hilarious.

Jerry has nothing to do with this and has no blame for it.

He handed sarver a title contending team on a silver platter and sarver methodically f$#ked it up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats hilarious.

Jerry has nothing to do with this and has no blame for it.

He handed sarver a title contending team on a silver platter and sarver methodically f$#ked it up.

You speak the truth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05