Porter Officially Out!!!!!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If either Jerry or Bryan Colangelo were still involved with day-to-day operations, we'd have a damn championship by now.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks that Sarver is making every basketball decision for this team is delusional.

Maybe not every single one, but the major ones - yes. Or perhaps you haven't been reading all the negative press on Sarver.

From EVT today:
No, the real culprits are owner Robert Sarver and general manager Steve Kerr, who have turned what was one of the league’s model franchises into a dysfunctional mess.
Sarver’s dirty fingerprints are everywhere:
He declined to pay emerging superstar Joe Johnson an additional $5 million in 2005 – the Suns were offering $45 million, Johnson wanted $50 million – and Johnson bolted to the Atlanta Hawks.
More critically, he refused to extend the contract of general manager Bryan Colangelo in 2006, and Colangelo, rightly angered, defected to the Toronto Raptors. Sarver lost not only one of the bright young minds in the business, he torched his tenuous relationship with Jerry Colangelo.
Then what does Sarver do? Rather than hire an established GM to run the team, he hires his good friend Kerr, who was a great 3-point shooter and broadcaster but had no front office experience.
It was a recipe for disaster, and here the Suns are: In ninth place in the Western Conference, about to peddle Amare Stoudemire and facing a long and steady decline.
Mike D’Antoni never looked so good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Maybe not every single one, but the major ones - yes. Or perhaps you haven't been reading all the negative press on Sarver.

From EVT today:

Finances are different, but if you think that Kerr and Griffin don't make basketball decisions, that's your prerogative. It's a paranoid conspiracy theory, but more power to you. :D

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
Glad with the move. Porter needed to go badly. It was just bad from the start. I just hope we can somehow turn it around. We are still over .500, but obviously are underachieving very much.

It will be interesting to see what kind of affect this has on the Amare situation. One thing I'm worried about though is that Amare might have been affected negatively by all the trade talk.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I just feel like this might mean Amar'e is really gone for financial purposes, though the coaching staff doesn't count against the cap. The Suns are going to be eating a lot of Porter's salary.

Reaction score
Terry Porter is out as the coach of the Suns, just four months into his first season with the team.Porter told the Associated Press on Monday morning that Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr informed him of the decision on Sunday night."I'm going to wait a few days to gather my thoughts before I say anything," Porter said.Assistant coach Alvin Gentry is expected to replace Porter, but the team hasn't made an official announcement.

OP
OP
L

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
Terry Porter is out as the coach of the Suns, just four months into his first season with the team.Porter told the Associated Press on Monday morning that Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr informed him of the decision on Sunday night."I'm going to wait a few days to gather my thoughts before I say anything," Porter said.Assistant coach Alvin Gentry is expected to replace Porter, but the team hasn't made an official announcement.

I bet he needs a few days to find out why he got fired and why the players are not following his system.
Porter should not have accepted the position in the first place if he was smart, but now everyone sees him as a FAILURE, categorized with the 7 otehr coaches being fired this season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I was never sold on Porter. It's about time! Finally someone saw the emporer had no clothes!

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
If this means returning to DA's running system, Shaq is on his way out next few days. Watch out.

No disrespect, but running teams don't win NBA titles. This team is geared to deep Playoff existence. The o keys is our perimeter defense and turnovers. Plain and simple.

OP
OP
L

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
No disrespect, but running teams don't win NBA titles. This team is geared to deep Playoff existence. The o keys is our perimeter defense and turnovers. Plain and simple.

I agree, so lets hope gentry does not ignore defense completely. Especially if Amare gets traded for some new guys they should work on that as well.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree, so lets hope gentry does not ignore defense completely. Especially if Amare gets traded for some new guys they should work on that as well.

Aye. I will say this until I'm blue in the face a good part of our defensive issues are people staying with their guys like white on race and stop roaming when your man does not have the ball.

I'm not gonna mention any names. Steve Nash.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Especially if Amare gets traded for some new guys they should work on that as well.

Finally an intelligent comment. Yes, if Stoudemire gets traded for young players who have a chance of being with the team for more than two years, it will definitely be good to have them learning about defense.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Last edited:

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Anxious to see how Gentry does....is there any post firing comments from Porter yet?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05