Possible Replacement for Amare?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have an aging point guard who doesn't have much left, IMO. I know I'll get a lot of arguments there but he needs to go someplace that only needs him for 20-25 minutes and can afford to have him take days off. We're still not there yet even with Dragic's improvement but this really needs to start being Goran's team.
Absolutely.

I think we lose a lot regardless of who we get to replace Amare. I want him gone but I'm not blinded by his weaknesses; he's still a heck of a player. Aldridge is a huge drop-off IMO and he's one of the softest and most inconsistent big men out there. Aldridge would be a nice improvement over Frye but he's not the player Stat is.
Not sure where i stand here yet. I will say this....i think the Nash/Amare core...combo....superstar #1 & 2....whatever...has run its course in terms of carrying a team into the promised land.

Just trying to fill the hole that Amare leaves will mean we are destined for early playoff exits at best. Nash, Hill and JR are going to decline quicker than Goran, Clark and Lopez improve and we have no idea what's going on physically with Robin.

Steve
Robin will be fine IMO. Alot hinges on the progress of E.Clark. I'm not ready to pay Amare...i'm not ready to swap Amare for Nowitski in fantasy land either.

jibikao

Reaction score
Seriously, you're gonna think I'm on crack but I'd take Camby over stat. Even Eddie Johnson says that Camby can grab 20 rebounds on any given night.

I was thinking about Camby as well but that dude is so injury proned....

By the way, Lopez didn't play more than 10mins because his back is hurting him? It would be nice to see a healthy Lopez with Amare but I think Amare wants to leave unless a max. contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree but then again should he be rewarded for half-assin it?

Who's out there? Just Bosh?

He'll get his money, it just won't be in Phoenix. I don't think we're really in the Bosh sweepstakes either.

Seriously, I'd make a play for Kevin Love before he and Rambis find a way to coexist. He's still on his rookie contract so he can't be too expensive and he rebounds and scores. If they've decided that Love and Jefferson can't be on the court together perhaps he's available for a reasonable price (Barbosa?). I don't know much about Love's defense but I'm not sure it could be any worse than what we're used to.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
Lee wouldn't put the ball on the floor into 3 walled defenders in the paint and get denied. He would find an open man. It's about being smart out there. Stat doesn't have it. I'm sorry.

Lee will never face 3 defenders. That's the point. Lee probably is as good a bigman passer as Diaw or Brad Miller or even Gasol. And I heard Murphy was also a great rebounder and supposedly available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robin will be fine IMO. Alot hinges on the progress of E.Clark.

I'm not sure about either of them. I worry about Robin's back and Earl's head. Robin clearly has the potential to be the starting center we've all dreamed about here but you just never know with back injuries.

Clark is a different story. I'll go into next season hoping to see the same kind of improvement from him that we just witnessed from Goran and Lopez but I have real doubts. No one has ever questioned Earl's potential but there have been a lot of issues raised about his head/heart. If he ever puts it all together he'll be a huge plus for this team but there is reason for concern.

Steve

jibikao

Reaction score
If Lopez is healthy, maybe we don't need to rely on Amare getting rebound. It was good to see when Lopez was healthy and effective.

And who knows.. maybe next season when Lopez is healthy and Amare quickly goes down with injuries after getting his max. contract. :bang:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bosh will be going to LA in a sign and trade for Bynum. Cross him off your list.

(possibly...I'd personally love it)

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about either of them. I worry about Robin's back and Earl's head. Robin clearly has the potential to be the starting center we've all dreamed about here but you just never know with back injuries.

Clark is a different story. I'll go into next season hoping to see the same kind of improvement from him that we just witnessed from Goran and Lopez but I have real doubts. No one has ever questioned Earl's potential but there have been a lot of issues raised about his head/heart. If he ever puts it all together he'll be a huge plus for this team but there is reason for concern.

Steve

I'm not sure Clark's play was necessarily attributed to his "head/dedication" as it was his on-court experience/mechanics/nerves his rookie year. From the games I saw where Earl played, he looked really jittery and lacked self-control (as if he drank twenty red bulls and was going 150mph on the court). I really think if he slowed the game down and let it come to him, we could see a completely different player. The kid already has a pretty good jump shot and ball handling skills especially for a 6"10 big so he has the potential to develop. Offensively, I don't know if it's on par with Amare, but his Defense (from his limited minutes) is light years ahead.

In terms of the unknown/underdevelopment of Clark, we could have said the same thing about Dragic and RoLo last year. In fact, that seemed like the general consensus on the board...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bosh will be going to LA in a sign and trade for Bynum. Cross him off your list.

(possibly...I'd personally love it)

You actually are buying into that? You can't be serious. Bynum is DAMAGED GOODS. The sooner you guys realize that, the sooner you can stop dreaming about these unrealistic trade scenarios.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You actually are buying into that? You can't be serious. Bynum is DAMAGED GOODS. The sooner you guys realize that, the sooner you can stop dreaming about these unrealistic trade scenarios.

Dude, we traded KWAME BROWN for Pau Gasol. To quote KG...Anything is possible!!!!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Are you forgetting that the lakers dont play by the same rules as the rest of the league?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind getting dirk but I would rather get someone who atleast trys to play defense and get more than 3 or 4 rebounds a game.... I wouldn't mind eaither if we resigned amare to a long term deal however.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take Bosh over Dirk who has shown for some reason that he will show up to one big game then completely disappear in another. Plus I still think Dirk is soft on defense. Boozer has been hurt alot over the past few seasons right? It's tough because I don't think there is a clear replacement. Lee would be at the very bottom of my list because he doesn't play a lick of defense. It's obvious that if your going to play a title contender like the Lakers and get over that hump, you need to get better defensively.

My vote would be for Bosh if I had to pick right now but I have to think about this. I am almost leaning towards that if you can't get Bosh or maybe Dirk...you must resign Amare.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Possible replacement? Why don't you just sign Amare to market price and then trade him for equal value a year later, the alternative being rebuilding right way?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just sign Amare to market price and then trade him for equal value a year later, the alternative being rebuilding right way?

We could well go that way. However, there is legitimate concern that Amare may demand a contract that just one year later might be unmovable. It's hard to predict exactly what will come from the labor negotiations but it is anticipated that max contracts will be reduced by a considerable margin.

I still think Amare is gone but his disappearance throughout these playoffs may actually help us sign the guy. If he's damaged his value enough to bring him in at/under the 6 year/90 million range re-signing him becomes much less of a risk. At that price it's a fairly safe bet that, injury aside, his contract won't destroy market interest if we want to move him a year later.

Steve