Possible Replacement for Amare?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'm betting Dirk is just playing games to get more money out of Cuban. He's not coming here for less.

IMO the Suns need to be careful. Nash did not look dominant in the LA series and while I think he can still contribute his game is going to decline even more next season. Dragic looked more impressive last night. A point guard that can play awesome defense, wow what a concept.

Amare is a really good player. He was going one on 3 against 3 talented Laker bigs and he didn't do so great. I like his game but I don't see the point in the Suns signing him to a max contract. With Nash's decline and no cap space to add anybody around him the Suns will just be a mediocre team at best.

It might be time to blow it up. I know Sarver has said he won't do this because he's afraid of the loss in revenue but just hanging on so you can win 45-50 games and squeak into the playoffs is sad.

If the Suns let Amare go maybe Nash would ask for a trade to a contender. If this happened the Suns could stink for one year, continue to develop the talent they have, get a nice lotto player and maybe sign an elite free agent. If Kerr plays his cards right the Suns could have a legit young playoff team for the 11/12 season and possibly contend for years to follow.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting Dirk is just playing games to get more money out of Cuban. He's not coming here for less.

I agree he's not coming here for less but disagree as to why. I think he wants to finish his career in Dallas but is using his contract as leverage to insure Cuban adds the right kind of pieces around him.

IMO the Suns need to be careful. Nash did not look dominant in the LA series and while I think he can still contribute his game is going to decline even more next season. Dragic looked more impressive last night. A point guard that can play awesome defense, wow what a concept.

Nash has not looked dominant in a lot of games this year. In fact, he's been below average to downright awful in almost half of them (2010 only). I don't fault him, he's a tremendous competitor that is falling prey to age and injury. Dragic will probably struggle as the everyday starter but it's time to move that way regardless.

It might be time to blow it up. I know Sarver has said he won't do this because he's afraid of the loss in revenue but just hanging on so you can win 45-50 games and squeak into the playoffs is sad.

I think it's definitely time to blow it up. We have some good young pieces and with a bit of luck the explosion will knock down a few walls rather than leave behind a smoking crater. A lot of that will depend on whether we can get something for Amare.

Steve

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Having no fundamental knowledge of the upcoming CBA (take this FWIW) but I think it has something to do with that. Dirk is owed something around $19 mil next season and for him to pass that up is mystifying. He must see something on the horizon.

The chances he re-signs with Dallas are high, but one can dream of him coming to PHX

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It will be Dirk.

Two things have to be taken into consideration:

1. The organization as a whole is now 100% dedicated to getting Steve Nash to an NBA Finals. That means they might be willing to gamble on some things over the next couple offseasons that they might have been unwilling to do in the past. They also might accommodate Stevie on a thing or two here and there by bringing in one or two of his personal faves.

2. Steve Kerr desires certain traits with this team and might be wiiling to take a slightly less talented player if they possess them - toughness, chemistry, winning attitude. Amare possesses none of the above so Kerr will let him walk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, Cuban would never let Dirk come to the Suns if he can help it. He will pay the money to keep Dirk so as not to make the same mistake he made with Nash.

Nash is still an excellent PG even if one views he is in decline. I'm not sure how this all plays out because if the Suns decide to rebuild Nash and even Hill may want to move on.

Amare is a really good player. He was going one on 3 against 3 talented Laker bigs and he didn't do so great. I like his game but I don't see the point in the Suns signing him to a max contract. With Nash's decline and no cap space to add anybody around him the Suns will just be a mediocre team at best.

I don't see Amare returning as I think he wants more than the Suns will pay. I know Amare was facing a strong Laker frontline but I still expected Amare to be able to compete with the Laker big men more on the boards. Anyway, if Amare leaves, the Suns need a better rebounding and hopefully defensive PF.

It might be time for the Suns to at least move some important pieces although LB and Richardson could be important trading pieces. JRich is a very good player with an expiring contract. However, I don't see it necessary for the Suns to blow up the entire team if the Suns could get a reasonable sign and trade offer for Amare. Then the need for the Suns to make more dramatic changes lessen.

If the Suns let Amare go maybe Nash would ask for a trade to a contender. If this happened the Suns could stink for one year, continue to develop the talent they have, get a nice lotto player and maybe sign an elite free agent. If Kerr plays his cards right the Suns could have a legit young playoff team for the 11/12 season and possibly contend for years to follow.

This is a possibility. Again Hill might want to leave also if this happens.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am on the David Lee bandwagon. Guy is a rebounding machine with an improving offensive game. Only 26, no injury history, and is very athletic. Will not cost as much as Amare and is more of a team oriented player. If Amare re-signs then great but if not go after Lee and be done with it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am OK with Lee. He is an excellent rebounder, a very good passer for a big man, and if he is not forced to play C, he is an OK defender. I'd love to see what Lee can do with a real point guard feeding him the basketball.

I'd still prefer Dirk as he is clearly a better overall player, but I would be OK with Lee. In fact, I would prefer Lee at $12M per year to Amare at $20M+ per year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am on the David Lee bandwagon. Guy is a rebounding machine with an improving offensive game. Only 26, no injury history, and is very athletic. Will not cost as much as Amare and is more of a team oriented player. If Amare re-signs then great but if not go after Lee and be done with it.

If the Suns could come up with Lee, I don't see the Suns as being a much weaker team than with Stoudemire. The Suns seem to thrive on role type players. Anyway Lee would be a good catch as he has bulk and can rebound at the PF position. I like Dirk and Bosh better but they would be a tough catch. I would rather have Lee than Boozer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would take Bosh over Dirk who has shown for some reason that he will show up to one big game then completely disappear in another. Plus I still think Dirk is soft on defense. Boozer has been hurt alot over the past few seasons right? It's tough because I don't think there is a clear replacement. Lee would be at the very bottom of my list because he doesn't play a lick of defense. It's obvious that if your going to play a title contender like the Lakers and get over that hump, you need to get better defensively.

My vote would be for Bosh if I had to pick right now but I have to think about this. I am almost leaning towards that if you can't get Bosh or maybe Dirk...you must resign Amare.

This is a thread about POSSIBLE replacements.

Bosh = not possible. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh... losing Amare and signing David Lee will be the equivalent of losing Dyess and signing Googs. Don't make the same mistake twice.

It's time to finally rebuild. This run is over.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
I am OK with Lee. He is an excellent rebounder, a very good passer for a big man, and if he is not forced to play C, he is an OK defender. I'd love to see what Lee can do with a real point guard feeding him the basketball.

I'd still prefer Dirk as he is clearly a better overall player, but I would be OK with Lee. In fact, I would prefer Lee at $12M per year to Amare at $20M+ per year.

How do you propose that the Suns go after Lee? They will not have enough cap space to sign a player like Lee. The only way would be in a sign and trade, which seems unlikely.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ugh... losing Amare and signing David Lee will be the equivalent of losing Dyess and signing Googs. Don't make the same mistake twice.

Then you probably won't like next season at all. Even if Amare leaves, there is no way they are going to start rebuilding next season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you probably won't like next season at all. Even if Amare leaves, there is no way they are going to start rebuilding next season.

i'm well aware of this. I'm just hoping they don't do something stupid that restricts us for years, putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound if Amare leaves.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Listening to Sarver over the last couple of years I'd guess that you are correct but if not now when do they start? Timing is everything.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Listening to Sarver over the last couple of years I'd guess that you are correct but if not now when do they start? Timing is everything.

Maybe Nash's final year or the year after his contract is up. I'm not saying that's what they should do, I'm saying that's what I think they WILL do.

If Amare takes his option or they extend him, then they most definitely won't be rebuilding. If they somehow get Dirk, they won't be rebuilding. Besides, it's hard to rebuild when you have no 1st rounders. And we have yet to see Sarver take on the mentality that he is ok of just treading water for a few seasons.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Rebuilding now would be stupid. The team was two wins from the Finals and most of their key players will be just as good next year as they were this year. Only Nash figures to take a step back. Hill's minutes will be reduced, but other than that, he'll play at the same level, barring injury. Richardson is still in his prime, and Lopez/Dudley/Dragic/Frye are all improving.

The world doesn't end if the Suns lose Stoudemire. The main thing he brought to the table in the playoffs was getting to the free-throw line. His low-post game was a liability, and it goes without saying that his contributions on the boards will be easily replaced. He simply did not help the Suns all that much when the going got tough. He has to be replaced with someone, but it's not like his departure will turn the Suns into a lottery team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebuilding now would be stupid. The team was two wins from the Finals and most of their key players will be just as good next year as they were this year. Only Nash figures to take a step back. Hill's minutes will be reduced, but other than that, he'll play at the same level, barring injury. Richardson is still in his prime, and Lopez/Dudley/Dragic/Frye are all improving.

The world doesn't end if the Suns lose Stoudemire. The main thing he brought to the table in the playoffs was getting to the free-throw line. His low-post game was a liability, and it goes without saying that his contributions on the boards will be easily replaced. He simply did not help the Suns all that much when the going got tough. He has to be replaced with someone, but it's not like his departure will turn the Suns into a lottery team.

i think you're fooling yourself. If we can somehow get Dirk/Bosh, we don't rebuild, but I think the chances of that happening aren't just slim to none, I think they are ZERO, especially with us at the cap as we are. Even if we were to get rid of Barbs opening up cap room, signing a Boozer or David Lee will set this team back GREATLY from where we are now and will only keep us from ever really getting better.

we've seen the MAX this era has to offer and it's not even good enough to get the Finals. The sooner this franchise swallows this cold hard reality, the sooner we'll be ready to move on and take over when the Lakers are done... which seems to be the way this franchise has almost always operated when they've put together true contenders.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
i think you're fooling yourself. If we can somehow get Dirk/Bosh, we don't rebuild, but I think the chances of that happening aren't just slim to none, I think they are ZERO, especially with us at the cap as we are. Even if we were to get rid of Barbs opening up cap room, signing a Boozer or David Lee will set this team back GREATLY from where we are now and will only keep us from ever really getting better.

we've seen the MAX this era has to offer and it's not even good enough to get the Finals. The sooner this franchise swallows this cold hard reality, the sooner we'll be ready to move on and take over when the Lakers are done... which seems to be the way this franchise has almost always operated when they've put together true contenders.

Would replacing Amare with Lee REALLY be a huge step back?
He is not as good offensively as Amare, but he still averages 20. He is not as horrible defensively as Amare is, especially if not forced to play 5, and he is one of the best rebounders in the league, and probably one of the best passers (among big men.)

J-Rich can score more, Dragic and Lopez will score more, I really don't think the Suns would be losing THAT much by replacing Amare with Lee.
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that Lee is as good as Amare. I am just saying that Lee at $12M is a better option than Amare at $20M.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see several other teams poised to show greater (perhaps much greater) improvement than the Suns. Plus, I think what we've seen from Nash these past 3 months is just a mild indicator of the severe decline we're about to see. I can see him still having value for a few more years but it needs to be in a much more restricted fashion and I don't know if we can do that here.

Also, I think it's risky to count on Hill continuing to play at or near this year's level. It could happen, but I think it's better to take anything positive you get from him as a bonus rather than taking it for granted.

Amare was a huge disappointment in the playoffs but the guy pretty much carried us for the 2 months before that. The seedings were fairly close this year from 2 to 8 and I think with a down-scaled version of Amare this team would have been fortunate to make the playoffs. Without an equal or better replacement for Amare I think this team begins a steady decline. Amare is one of the best PF's we've ever had in Phoenix and I think it borders on hubris to believe he can be easily replaced (general statement-not aimed specifically at you or anyone).

From a financial standpoint, rebuilding right now probably would be a stupid decision but from a win-it-all standpoint I think it needs to occur this season. We'll take our lumps but I really believe lumps are in our near future no matter what course we take.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is not as good offensively as Amare, but he still averages 20. He is not as horrible defensively as Amare is, especially if not forced to play 5, and he is one of the best rebounders in the league, and probably one of the best passers (among big men.)

J-Rich can score more, Dragic and Lopez will score more, I really don't think the Suns would be losing THAT much by replacing Amare with Lee.
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that Lee is as good as Amare. I am just saying that Lee at $12M is a better option than Amare at $20M.

all that will do is keep us running in mud... and the offense WILL suffer. Maybe not in the regular season, but it will in the playoffs. As much as I don't think Amare's a complete player, his ability to get to the FT line is a big part of this offense.

Bottom line, if you're gonna win a title, you need a guy who can impose his will on the other team. We don't have it and David Lee ain't gonna give it to us. Doing anything to try to "remain competitive" is just delaying the inevitable.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Suns lose Amare for nothing or for a role playing replacement they will be a .500 team in the bottom of the lotto drafting a player like Earl Clark.

Kind of like dying a slow death. IMO unless the Suns can retool with something like Dirk (highly unlikely) or Amare and some mid-level difference maker they need to pull the plug.

Time for Kerr to take it to the next level.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how a David Lee would respond to the type of pressure/contact/physicality of a playoff run like we just witnessed.....when being counted on to grab rebounds and score every night.
I'm not sure what to expect there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Also its unbelievable that some are ready to throw Amare under the bus after struggling against arguably the best, big physical front line on the planet just after he was instrumental in killing the Suns biggest demon of the last decade.

He dropped 42 points with 12 boards on Duncan without RoLo. I'm not sayin he's the answer just that he's been a huge part of the Suns run from the all star beak until just a few days ago.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

+1. Lee is a downgrade in every way except on the boards. This team needs more team defense. Not less. Lee would give you less.

He is not as good offensively as Amare, but he still averages 20. He is not as horrible defensively as Amare is, especially if not forced to play 5, and he is one of the best rebounders in the league, and probably one of the best passers (among big men.).

What??? Have you see Lee play? He is worse then Amare defensively. Even his defensive PER is worse then Amare's. Lee is a definite downgrade defensively as well.