practice 7/27/2013

seesred

Reaction score
I went today. The crowd was great, my guess would be over 10k in the stands lots of families. There were fans on the east and west side. I always have liked Laron Byrd he just catches everything thrown his way I hope he catches the coaches eye. Ryan Williams looked very good as well making great cuts like he did his first summer in camp. That would be great if he can play.

The young backs Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington looked quit good. Especially Ellington who made some great moves. However the best reciever IMO besides Fitz who at least once was not on the same page as Palmer was Rob Housler. I like what I saw of this rook D.C. Jefferson TE The team looked fast in the two minute drill and Palmer moved the ball well. The deep pass was thrown deep and often!

If you get a chance go see BA and our team in action .

GBR

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Those of us that don't go are starving for every little tidbit of information you guys (and gals) can toss our way. We have so many question marks going into the season but if we can solve our running game problems with a couple of young players I'll feel a lot better about our future even if our D does take a step back this season.

Steve

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got back. Great crowd! Lots of families with kids. I'd encourage everyone who gets the chance to go. Everything was handled (fan wise) very well. Though I think they had to explain the new rules for what you can carry in to a lot of people. I'd gotten a clear bag and was thanked profusely for having it. They waved me right through.

For those looking for autographs: Larry signed autographs for a LONG time after practice. Several of the 'name' guys signed but none as long as Larry. (I think he gave a kid a ball as well.)

Darnell did not have a tiger but he did have red metal-flake shoes on that were last seen worn by Dorothy trying to get back to Kansas.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Revenge of the Birds has a pretty good tweet report that followed today's practice. For those of us starving for info, every tidbit is like a complete meal. Thanks to everyone who posts about the practice. And remember tomorrow 'full' hitting can take place. Stay healthy everyone.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not great at this stuff and didn't have a roster (it would have helped if they passed them out) but some random thoughts (consider it "color"):

Palmer and Fitz weren't always on the same page but seemed to have a good rapport. They talked it out every time there was a foul up. Fitz hangs out with the QBs when he's not on the field, listening to them.

Feely hit the goal post on a kick in a two minute drill. (30-40 yards out.) The crowd really got on him.

Housler got a LOT of work. Andre Roberts and Floyd both looked good. Roberts especially, IMO. Calais seemed a little heavier. (Could have been the baggy shirt.) Mathieu still has his gold hair. A LOT of guys have cut their hair short. To the point I wondered if it was an esprit de corps thing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I went today.. was just chilling/relaxing and not studying anyone/anything in detail or anything, but here's what I remember:

- Early in the practice they were doing a punt gunner type drill with the gunner trying to get off the line, and Mathieu (the defender) completely stuffed his guy -- got the crowd going.

- Ryan Williams had a few sick cuts early in practice that got the crowd "ooh" and "ahh" ing.

- A deep bomb caught by Jarret Dillard (I think Stanton was QB?) was probably play of the day.

- Fitz made catches all day and always got the crowd going, and Housler caught balls all day as well.

- Jaron Brown made what appeared to be a phenomenal deep ball catch during the ending 2 minute drill work, but coaches waived it off. DC Jefferson almost made a great catch as well that he just couldn't haul in.

- Defense completely dominated the ending two minute drill work. 5 times -- ended in loss of downs/goal line stand, INT, INT, missed field goal, and field goal. 5 two minute drills -- 3 points. Otherwise, offense looked pretty solid all day.

- A lot of passing today compared to running, which at this point I think everyone accepts as the norm. A lot of screens/quick passes in addition to downfield passing -- looks like we'll rely on those more than the running game.

- As noted in another thread, Gill left early and didn't really do anything memorable today -- which is a bummer, because I was keeping an eye on him and hoping to see something special.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd gotten a clear bag and was thanked profusely for having it. They waved me right through.

The team stated that each season ticket holder would be provided with a clear bag. I wonder when these will be distributed? :shrug:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team stated that each season ticket holder would be provided with a clear bag. I wonder when these will be distributed? :shrug:

I didn't see anyone carrying them. (I looked.) I got mine in the cosmetics department of Walmart. :D

I also didn't see any BA Kangol hats for sale. Looked for those too. If they were in the team shop I missed them.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To all who attended, would it it be fair to say that most fans would have left practice feeling good about the team?

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
If there really was 8,000 fans in attendance that is pretty amazing. There's also no disputing that they were all Cardinal fans-no opposing team fans to contend with at this venue!

By the way I read in the St. Louis paper this morning that the Rams had a "training camp record crowd or 2,297" at their facility in St. Louis. Say all you want about the lack of fan support in AZ and the number of opposing team fans at their games, give them just a faint reason to cheer and the Cardinal fans will show up.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
To all who attended, would it it be fair to say that most fans would have left practice feeling good about the team?

I'd say as good as you can feel when there's no hitting/tackling. Only so much you can gauge in shorts and the QB's wearing black jerseys (that's the Cards not hit jersey). It is really tough to get a read on the defense/offensive line in these type of practices. Far more negative than positive jumped out at me. I covered the positives above, here are the only negatives that stuck out to me:

1. Levi Brown had an ill-timed false start or two. Some things never change.

2. Javier Arenas was getting picked on/abused during the second team two minute drill (Juron Brown's big catch that was waived off was against him -- and Byrd made some big catches against Arenas).

3. A few drops by the wideouts during the day, but nothing too alarming.

4. As noted above, Robert Gill left practice and didn't return, but didn't look serious according to others.

Barring #4 above, the biggest take away is that everyone stayed healthy!! Several teams around the league can't say that after yesterday.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Gill just tweeted: "Just a minor setback...I'll be back in a flash (pun intended)."

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Amazing. He's been in the league, what, going on 7 seasons and he still doesn't know his team's own count? Is it really that difficult?

Brown's propsensity to false start is overstated, but it should be stated that he's dealt with cadences from like 7 different quarterbacks in the last three years.

I wish we could all agree not to say anything more about Ryan Williams until he actually does something in games that matter. He's like Steven Williams (who's on Seattle's camp roster), only we burned a dumb high second round pick on him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just would like to know why coach whisehunt didnt like full pads practices..avoid injuries is just a stupid excuse cause we saw the level of play of the offensive line before

Last edited:

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Why on earth would we do that? Does pretending someone doesn't exist make him go away? He's here and most of us are hopeful that he becomes an integral part of our running game. We're not fools, we realize the odds are heavily against him. I see no reason to cancel our parade before it even starts, we have enough posters here that can be counted on to rain all over it anyway.

Steve

Amen! It's gotta be absolutely exhausting trying to contradict everyone else's opinion. Not to mention a real challenge to keep a spouse or any friends. Guess I just don't understand the constant rain cloud some folks live under. Go follow another team if all you can do is bitch about this one.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
gmabel830, I'm not sure where Arenas was playing, but the word is that he's a slot defender, and not an outside CB. So if was getting beat inside, I'd be concerned, but less so if it was outside.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
gmabel830, I'm not sure where Arenas was playing, but the word is that he's a slot defender, and not an outside CB. So if was getting beat inside, I'd be concerned, but less so if it was outside.

I should have pointed this out... Arenas was one of the starting outside corners on the 2nd team when he was getting beat -- he was not in the slot.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Brown's propsensity to false start is overstated, but it should be stated that he's dealt with cadences from like 7 different quarterbacks in the last three years.

I wish we could all agree not to say anything more about Ryan Williams until he actually does something in games that matter. He's like Steven Williams (who's on Seattle's camp roster), only we burned a dumb high second round pick on him.

Why don't we just not say anything about anyone then since it's only training camp and none of this actually means something in games that matter? Let's just cancel all camp/preseason updates until week 1. We all know and understand that Williams needs to prove it on the field when it really matters -- but I don't see why pointing out that he's off to a good start in camp is a big deal?