• Leinart goes deep off play action

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • Leinart does his best Kurt Warner, gets sacked and fumbles

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I would like to see some sort of screen to start things off. That, or run a medium route to let them know Leinart will not be a mere handoff machine.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I would like to see some sort of screen to start things off. That, or run a medium route to let them know Leinart will not be a mere handoff machine.

Sounds great, if I could remember the last time we executed a screen play properly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flea Flicker just like the first play of the season in 2004. Hand off to James, flip back and a deep bomb (53 yards) to Fitzgerald. 2nd play- a nice bootleg on the next play to Leonard Pope for another nice gainer inside the 10 yard line. Finish off one of the quickest drives in Cards history with a fade in the corner to Fitzgerald (touchdown!!!!)

Stole my idea.

I really do hope that they plan on running fades in the redzone. Our receivers are in 1-1 coverage in the RZ and we have yet to take advantage.

:(

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First play will be a handoff for maybe a yard or 2. Our OC has no imagination seriously doubt it would be any sort of trick play. They unfortunately are probally going to try running the ball too much to protect Leinart. Hope they don't try that too much let him sling the ball around to our strength which is still our receivers. If they let him throw the ball and not handcuff him we have a shot in this game!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
First play will be a handoff for maybe a yard or 2. Our OC has no imagination seriously doubt it would be any sort of trick play. They unfortunately are probally going to try running the ball too much to protect Leinart. Hope they don't try that too much let him sling the ball around to our strength which is still our receivers. If they let him throw the ball and not handcuff him we have a shot in this game!

For those who don't remember the first play of each game so far:

SF- James run right for 1yd
Sea- pass to James for 1yd
LA- James run left for 3yds
ATL-James run middle for -1

I like the way they've mixed it up,right,pass,left,middle...:D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
After the two delay of game penalties, I see a fumbled snap.

Your QB that bad? You guys are really going to be in trouble next week in Pittsburgh if he's so bad he starts out that way against the Cards. Then you get San Diego and Seattle? Ouch.

Reaction score
Your QB that bad? You guys are really going to be in trouble next week in Pittsburgh if he's so bad he starts out that way against the Cards. Then you get San Diego and Seattle? Ouch.

Your grammar is horrendous.

It's very similar to your football team.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
KC is 1-2, and their lone win is against SF.

They're missing their left tackle, which means Berry might finally break out this year.

They're starting Huard, who besides last week, hasn't done jack squat in 4 years in the league. We have some very good blitz packages with Adrian Wilson and hopefully Dansby will show some spark now that he's been back for a few weeks.

Do I think there's a chance? Yes. Am I going to be the house on the Cardinals? I've been a fan of this team for close to 20 years. I'm not that stupid.

Do I think you guys have absolutely zero class compared to every other team's fans that have come in here this year? Absolutely.

Then again, I'm just feeding the trolls. So I guess the joke's on me.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This braintrust should replace the OC.
1. We'd better see quite a few of those rollouts. Think Fran Tarkington.
2. Johnson deep is a good thought, because Law would be elsewhere.
3. The flea flicker would be fun if it was to Johnson it might work.
4. Short passes should have been the game plan all along.

Another likely candidate is Fitz or Boldin taking a step back and hitting them with the wide receiver screen. If the line could ever figure out how to run a middle screen that would be nice as KC's D-line will be teeing off.

My top choice would be to send everyone deep and dump the ball underneath to James. I'd put him in the slot several times as well just to get him more touches. I'd rather see 3 receivers (with Edge being one) and Arrington in the backfield than the current alignment.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you actually believe your team has a chance?
Anyone else notice that KC fans have so little positive to discuss among themselves about their team that they prefer to troll elsewhere?

Oh well, I guess it's a more interesting way to spend their spare time than "going to the mall."

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart is going to have to prove he can hit deep throws to get defenses to play him somewhat honestly. I'd play action and go deep on the first play. But, I don't think the Cards will do that. They will handoff to James.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leinart is going to have to prove he can hit deep throws to get defenses to play him somewhat honestly. I'd play action and go deep on the first play. But, I don't think the Cards will do that. They will handoff to James.
Here's my problem with both scenarios: If I'm KC, I play that obvious tendency and shoot at least one extra backer to "play the run on his way to the QB."

If it's a run play, the backer blows it up.

If it's a pass play, Leinart gets nailed.

That's why I'd throw a quick (I repeat quick) TE screen off play action.