Predictable Game 1 Outcome

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The game started with the Bills playing a standard defense. The Cards played a short game and easily moved the ball down the field. Their defense was as weak as expected. So, the Bills scored a late first half TD to close to 17-10. I’m not going to watch this debacle again, but I think even before the first half ended the Bills had moved up their safeties. The Cards seemed determined to stay with their short game though it failed to move the ball. I have a theory.

The failure to play the first string offense in preseason did not prepare Murray for the regular season. He was fine handing off the ball or throwing quick 8 yard passes. He had no rapport with prized rookie Harrison. This was particularly costly when on the final drive Murray was scrambling but failed to see Harrison alone with a clear path to scoring the potential winning TD. Instead of being the go-to guy, Harrison wasn’t even an afterthought. If you think I’m exaggerating the value of preseason here’s a quote from today’s ESPN, “When talking about a missed back-shoulder throw to Harrison in the first quarter, Murray pointed out that Sunday was the first time he and Harrison played together, adding that "we will click. We'll get better."

On the few plays where Murray had ample time the Bills newly assembled secondary either had extraordinary coverage (sarcasm intended) or Murray simply wasn’t able to anticipate where the routes would take the receivers. Surely some were single covered, but Murray didn’t appear to trust any of the receivers enough to give them a chance to make a play

Then there’s the offensive line. I feared depth would be an issue and in less than a quarter it was. The Cards used their best backup, Beachum, but he proved inadequate. On multiple occasions the Bills rusher walked him back almost on top of Murray. For his part Murray struggled to find any receiver more than 10 yards down the field, completing no passes that long. I guess the Cards were expecting more from the line. Of course, they had not seen them in a game. Apparently the Cards failed to have any plays in the game plan to use if Murray were under great pressure. There were no rollouts or draws. There were few motion plays to disrupt the defensive alignment. An occasional screen play was all they attempted to slow the rush.

On the whole when the Bills cooperated, the Cards short game functioned like a well oiled machine. However, once the Bills adjusted the Cards seemed as if they lacked the flexibility to respond. The result was a far too familiar scene where the Cards’ staff was simply out-coached. Again I’m left with the feeling the Cards have already written off this season playoff-wise. I’ll have more on this later. In the meantime it will be interesting to see if the Cards’ game plan changes for week 2.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
But yet they were one (either one would have worked) missed PI from being in great position to win the game.

To say they have already written off the season isn't a realistic conclusion
Should have been 17-3 at halftime, too, honestly. That roughing the passer call was a joke.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The failure to play the first string offense in preseason did not prepare Murray for the regular season. He was fine handing off the ball or throwing quick 8 yard passes. He had no rapport with prized rookie Harrison. This was particularly costly when on the final drive Murray was scrambling but failed to see Harrison alone with a clear path to scoring the potential winning TD. Instead of being the go-to guy, Harrison wasn’t even an afterthought. If you think I’m exaggerating the value of preseason here’s a quote from today’s ESPN, “When talking about a missed back-shoulder throw to Harrison in the first quarter, Murray pointed out that Sunday was the first time he and Harrison played together, adding that "we will click. We'll get better."

Yep this clearly was a massive failure by the Cardinals not to get at least a few in game reps during the preseason for their starters. It was painfully obvious with regards to the play of star rookie MHJr and his connection with Kyler.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yep this clearly was a massive failure by the Cardinals not to get at least a few in game reps during the preseason for their starters. It was painfully obvious with regards to the play of star rookie MHJr and his connection with Kyler.
I really fail to see what the connection is between 8-12 reps a month ago and how they'd be performing now. Should not compare to the hundreds if not thousands of reps they've had in training.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really fail to see what the connection is between 8-12 reps a month ago and how they'd be performing now. Should not compare to the hundreds if not thousands of reps they've had in training.
Yeah I saw all of those stupid X posts from whoever of MHJr making a catch in practice with no one covering him. Man he looked great. I'm sure those hundreds of routes are just like game speed with DB out there looking to take your head off.

There is a huge difference when the live bullets start flying. Even if it is just a preseason game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I saw all of those stupid X posts from whoever of MHJr making a catch in practice with no one covering him. Man he looked great. I'm sure those hundreds of routes are just like game speed with DB out there looking to take your head off.

There is a huge difference when the live bullets start flying. Even if it is just a preseason game.
Well the X posts are like the 10 minutes of warmups.

Again, none of these guys were going to get 50 reps across the whole preseason in the best of circumstances. Do you think the impact of two-dozen snaps from August 17 would have made a tremendous difference? It's on the coaches to create intensity in training.

We probably should've put more stock in the reports that both sides of the ball were not showing out against Indy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You cannot simulate game reps. You just can't.
Even if they ran a full contact scrimmage...the guys on the other side are your teammates and have nothing on the line.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
The Cardinals shouldn’t have been able to come into Buffalo and have a shot at winning the game at the end. But they did. As bad as the Defense played, they were in it at the end. The final play to Dortch was a PI and should have won the game for AZ.
I bet if you ask the Bills fans they would say that there’s a lot to fix after game 1.
What I saw was a Cardinals team that didn’t give up and continued the same toughness they showed at the end of last season.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Also….Buffalos last 2 drives were
1) a punt and
2) although they started their last drive on the AZ 42 due to a horrible Gilliken punt, the Cardinals D held them to a FG.
So Buffalo could have put the game out of reach with a TD on either drive but that horrible Cardinals D held and gave the offense a chance to win it!

Last edited:

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score

Perhaps true. However, I can only imagine the rather unhappy conversation on this site had Kyler been injured in a pre-season game.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinals lost the game because of a fumble by the QB deep in Buffalo territory. There were other reasons too — poor defensive line who couldn’t tackle my 6 year old grandson, the missed wide open rookie wideout near the end of the game, the terrible passing plan that couldn’t muster a pass over 10 yards. Had that fumble and not occurred, I think the Cardinals would have won.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Cardinals lost the game because of a fumble by the QB deep in Buffalo territory. There were other reasons too — poor defensive line who couldn’t tackle my 6 year old grandson, the missed wide open rookie wideout near the end of the game, the terrible passing plan that couldn’t muster a pass over 10 yards. Had that fumble and not occurred, I think the Cardinals would have won.
I’ll agree…all reasons why they lost, yet they were still in position to win it at the end

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't see the game after the first quarter. Did KM fumble? I had seen the stat sheet, and the one fumble, but didn't know who fumbled.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the game after the first quarter. Did KM fumble? I had seen the stat sheet, and the one fumble, but didn't know who fumbled.

Yes he started to throw a pass and then pulled it down to reset. Then he got hit from behind and lost the ball.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was a joke, but so was the unnecessary roughness on Kyler that got us our first touchdown.
True, but 3 points were practically a given. The unnecessary roughness penalty cost us 7 because they were not in FG range. Cardinals had 3 clear cut PI’s not called and that cost us at least 14 points.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but 3 points were practically a given. The unnecessary roughness penalty cost us 7 because they were not in FG range. Cardinals had 3 clear cut PI’s not called and that cost us at least 14 points.
Going against the same swirling 35 MPH gusting wind you used as an excuse why Kyler didn’t throw anything but check downs, a FG was a given there? Okay.

If you’re going to make up excuses for why Kyler, yet again, failed to make plays down the field, just be consistent with the excuse is all I ask.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also….Buffalos last 2 drives were
1) a punt and
2) although they started their last drive on the AZ 42 due to a horrible Gilliken punt, the Cardinals D held them to a FG.
So Buffalo could have put the game out of reach with a TD on either drive but that horrible Cardinals D held and gave the offense a chance to win it!

Lemme guess. The glass is always half full???

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going against the same swirling 35 MPH gusting wind you used as an excuse why Kyler didn’t throw anything but check downs, a FG was a given there? Okay.

If you’re going to make up excuses for why Kyler, yet again, failed to make plays down the field, just be consistent with the excuse is all I ask.
The winds didn’t get bad until the 2nd half. The FG would have been the equivalence to extra points & Prater didn’t struggle with those, even in the wind. Kyler played a GREAT first half, no one can argue that point. Dropped pass by Wilson & 3 no calls on blatant PI plays cost him a great overall game.

SOCALCARD

Veteran
Reaction score
Most of the “seasoned professional posters” on this forum would disagree with you my fine Sir. No need for our beloved first string starting Cardinals to risk injury in a “meaningless” game. These are finely tuned professionals that train year round my good fellow. A tip of my hat to you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky