Predicted Division Final Standings

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
With the Basketball season right around the corner I thought I'd throw out my prediction as to how the Pacific Division will finish. Please feel free to add in how you feel this division or any other division might end up by the end of the season.

Phoenix Suns- 58-24 The addition of Kurt Thomas will help keep their opponents off the offensive boards, an area that hurt them in the playoffs last season. Thomas will also allow Marion to move back into his natural Small Forward position. The progression of Amare Stoudemire and Nash's offensive genius will keep this Suns team as the highest scoring team this season. The bench will also be much deeper than it was last year. This will be a better team in the playoffs than the Suns from last year.

Golden State Warriors- 50-32 The addition of Baron Davis in mid-season last year turned this team around and they cruised to a 7-3 record in the final 10 games and an 18-10 overall record since he was acquired. Expect more of the same form the Warriors this season, as it looks like they're finally on the winning track after a decade of bottom dwelling.

Sacramento Kings- 46-36 Adding Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Bonzi Wells in the off-season, the Kings look to improve on their 50-32 record from last year. Unfortunately I can't see this happening. While Bonzi is a great talent, he's been known to cause problems in the locker room, and despite great numbers, Shareef has never played on a winning team. I think they'll take a step back this season.

Los Angeles Lakers- 40-42 Having Phil back with a healthy Kobe (who missed quite a few games last year due to injury) will mean more wins for the Lakers, but it won't guarantee them a playoff spot. They simply do not have the help around Kobe at this point to do so. Kwame Brown, thus far in his career, has been a dissapointment and Odom's game does not seem to mesh well with Kobe's.

Los Angeles Clippers- 38-44 The Clippers are the Clippers. They'll be the bottom dwellers this year after finishing 3rd in the division last year.

PakistaniRambo

Registered
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
With the Basketball season right around the corner I thought I'd throw out my prediction as to how the Pacific Division will finish. Please feel free to add in how you feel this division or any other division might end up by the end of the season.

Phoenix Suns- 58-24 The addition of Kurt Thomas will help keep their opponents off the offensive boards, an area that hurt them in the playoffs last season. Thomas will also allow Marion to move back into his natural Small Forward position. The progression of Amare Stoudemire and Nash's offensive genius will keep this Suns team as the highest scoring team this season. The bench will also be much deeper than it was last year. This will be a better team in the playoffs than the Suns from last year.

Golden State Warriors- 50-32 The addition of Baron Davis in mid-season last year turned this team around and they cruised to a 7-3 record in the final 10 games and an 18-10 overall record since he was acquired. Expect more of the same form the Warriors this season, as it looks like they're finally on the winning track after a decade of bottom dwelling.

Sacramento Kings- 46-36 Adding Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Bonzi Wells in the off-season, the Kings look to improve on their 50-32 record from last year. Unfortunately I can't see this happening. While Bonzi is a great talent, he's been known to cause problems in the locker room, and despite great numbers, Shareef has never played on a winning team. I think they'll take a step back this season.

Los Angeles Lakers- 40-42 Having Phil back with a healthy Kobe (who missed quite a few games last year due to injury) will mean more wins for the Lakers, but it won't guarantee them a playoff spot. They simply do not have the help around Kobe at this point to do so. Kwame Brown, thus far in his career, has been a dissapointment and Odom's game does not seem to mesh well with Kobe's.

Los Angeles Clippers- 38-44 The Clippers are the Clippers. They'll be the bottom dwellers this year after finishing 3rd in the division last year.

Not bad. I think the warriors will be below the Kings. I'm actually one of the few, like yourself, who feel the offeseason moves by the Kings have bene WAY overrated. But i don't see them being worse than last year, they have improved, albeit marginally in my opinion. The warriors will be good, but not 50 wins good. like you said they went 18-10 at the end of last season, they will be lucky to repeat that. they had absolutely nothing to lose last year, they were knocked out of playoff contention mid-season. And i know everyone is skeptical of the Clips, but if they are healthy the entire year (which is very unlikely), they could slip into the 8th spot in the west..but thats a very small chance. The Lakers are terrible, i don't care what anyone says...Odom has got to be one of the most overrated players in the league right now.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I think you have GS with to good of a record. They will improve and likely fight for the 8th playoff spot.

Last year Memphis got into the playoffs with 44 wins and I am putting GS right around there. If Davis is completely healthy all season then maybe they get to 50, but I don't see that happening

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warriors are going to live or die based on the heath of Baron Davis. With Davis healthy, they could slip past the Kings. Without him, the Clippers will be better. Talk about a team MVP....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The only thing I'd point out is that you have the Pacific Division finishing a combined 54 games over .500. Are they really going to be that much better than the rest of the league?

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Clippers lost Bobby Simmons, Marko Jaric, Rick Brunson and Mikki Moore - all of whom were significant contributors last year. Brunson and Moore averaged about twenty minutes per game off the bench. Their PG position is going to be in the hands of chronically injured duo of Cassell and Shaun Livingston. Mobley was also added and presumeably they'll move Maggette to SF and slide Mobley in at SG. Wilcox and Kaman will have to pick up the slack. Seems to me that they lost depth they couldn't afford so I expect them to slip back a few games from last year - and it could well be worse if the injury bug hits them hard. Chemistry-wise Cassell and Mobley are certainly suspect additions.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My revised finish of the Pacific Division standings...(and there is no way im even going to try projected records as well all know, on any given night, half of teams players are only half way interested in the game...)

Suns- I like them to win between 52-56 games (dang that didn't last long at all) because while i dont think they have declined as much as some nationally like to think, last year was the perfect storm.

Kings- Im not sold on SAR and Bonzi anymore than im sold on Jwill, Employee number 8, Posey and Payton are going to be able to put it together for the Heat. NBA has alot more to do with chemistry than any other sport IMO and these guys have not shown to be winners at all in their career. Also Paging Peja Stojakovic....show me something Peja. I do love Bibby though (thats expected, hes a UA guy)

Lakers- Ill be honest. I think its entirely feasible that the Lakers could finish ahead of the Kings as well as win 50 + games. I have that much respect for Phil and Kobe. Kobe is one of the most driven ball players since Jordan and you think he has alot to prove this year? I also think Phil will be able to make Odom to look more like the player on the Heat than the Clipper version he resembled last year. If they can somehow coax 15 and 10 out of Kwame look out. Laugh now, but remember this post come half way throught the season.

Warriors- dont get me wrong. i really like this teams talent and style of play. In my mind Murphy, Pietrus, Zarko (seriously!), and Dunleavy are all underrated. I also like what Diogu, Fisher, Richardson, Foyle (again seriously!) bring to the team. But it all comes down to Davis. And like George insinuated, dude is going to sit out his mandatory 25 games. and that will hurt. On a brighter note rapper The Game will likely attend more than a few GS games to watch his boy Baron.

Clippers- Man Shaun Livingston might be my favorite young player in the L...Besides Bobo Diaw of course...but as much as it pains me to say this, the Clippers are the Cardinals of the NBA (sigh):(

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Lakers- Ill be honest. I think its entirely feasible that the Lakers could finish ahead of the Kings as well as win 50 + games. I have that much respect for Phil and Kobe. Kobe is one of the most driven ball players since Jordan and you think he has alot to prove this year?

I always laugh at posts about how a player has "something to prove". Kobe had a lot more to prove last year--coming off a rape trial, being in the first year of "his" team... The Lakers will not win 50 games. No chance of that. Their frontcourt is horrendous.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I always laugh at posts about how a player has "something to prove". Kobe had a lot more to prove last year--coming off a rape trial, being in the first year of "his" team... The Lakers will not win 50 games. No chance of that. Their frontcourt is horrendous.

As they project now, if every player plays at the same level as they did last season, well then you are going to be right. This is what many national prognosticators will say as well and your opinion will be a popular viewpoint. I on the other hand have this idea in my head that Phil Jackson, his coaching ability and motivation, will lead to many players playing at a higher level.

Wow, i think its absurd that you don't factor in motivation into a projected players performance. While it is difficult to quantify and some players respond differently, "contract years", playing against a team that snubbed you, responding to national criticism, and proving others wrong/right are all factors when players play. His rape trial, his problems with playing too single minded (and more importantly not having a coach who knew how to reign him in), and the injuries and sudden resigantion of Rudy T were all contributing factors to his teams demise. I'm not sure how any one is surprised that Frank Hamblen took over a team that was in the playoffs seeding wise and their stock began to drop almost as suddenly.

But I dont expect my view point to be very widely accepted and I will not even attempt to convince you, BUT I will explain my thought process so you all know im just not throwing darts if/when it proves to be true.

I have read a "Season on the Brink" and am very intimate in my knowledge of the Lakers as I have many friends from LA so this knowledge is what i base my opinion on.

- Phil Jackson is a master of the mental game. Many will look at the past happenings of Kobe and Phil and assume they cannot co exist and more importantly succeed. But what you learn is that Phil sided with Shaq and Kobe resented that. Alienating Kobe was Jacksons tactic to motivate the rest of his team. Now he will come back and change the teams mindset again, but this time it will center around Kobe. But Phil will convince Kobe that while he is the focus he has to invlove his teammates. He did it with Jordan, and Kobe is as physically talented adn has a similar work ethic. Phil would not have come back if he did'nt think he could do this same thing, and you realize that reading his book. Its in Kobes best interests to listen to Phil and as i said "he will be highly motivated" and his talent level is unbelievable. KB maynot like Phil all the time, but he respects the rings and Jordan..... In my moind Phil is worth eight wins himself

- I believe LO will become and 18 6 and 4 guy under jackson as Phil said in this same book that he told Odom LAST YEAR, "I would have love to been able to coach you.."

- I think Kwame, while he will never be a 20 - 10 guy, can be effective in the triangle.

- Phil doesn't need a PG...Never has never will....

- Luke Walton will develop into an all-star....(;) ok thats not going to happen but im a total homer)

There are some definite concerns but for my own reasons i see Lakers being a surprise team and Kobe being a top 5 MVP candidate......But of course they will be ten games behind the Suns and Amare's getting the team back to back MVP's..

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the scenario is plausible, but I don't see it working for one main reason: Bryant is too proud to let Jackson succeed at his expense. Yes, Jackson is a master of the mind game, but he's blown his cover now, and Bryant won't forgive him. I sure wouldn't. Jackson made Bryant miserable and destroyed his image, all to make himself look like a Zen master. If I'm Bryant, I say "F you, coach smartass. First you wanted to make everything my fault, and now you want to look like a hero by rescuing me. I don't think so."

Bryant is going to be in this league a lot longer than Jackson is. Even in a best-case scenario, the Lakers have nothing close to a championship squad. So why should Bryant spend an entire year letting Jackson humiliate him all over again, just to win 50 games instead of 43? He can get back to the top once Jackson is out of the way again.

Jackson won Jordan over when Jordan hadn't yet won a single title and was desperate to get to the next level. Furthermore, Jackson never did anything to Jordan like what he's done to Bryant. Jordan respected Jackson because Jackson respected Jordan and wasn't afraid to show it. But Jackson doesn't respect Bryant. He thinks -- or at least has said he thinks -- that Bryant is a self-absorbed infant. Bryant didn't respect that before, and he's not going to respect it now.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I think the scenario is plausible, but I don't see it working for one main reason: Bryant is too proud to let Jackson succeed at his expense. Yes, Jackson is a master of the mind game, but he's blown his cover now, and Bryant won't forgive him. I sure wouldn't. Jackson made Bryant miserable and destroyed his image, all to make himself look like a Zen master. If I'm Bryant, I say "F you, coach smartass. First you wanted to make everything my fault, and now you want to look like a hero by rescuing me. I don't think so."

Bryant is going to be in this league a lot longer than Jackson is. Even in a best-case scenario, the Lakers have nothing close to a championship squad. So why should Bryant spend an entire year letting Jackson humiliate him all over again, just to win 50 games instead of 43? He can get back to the top once Jackson is out of the way again.

Jackson won Jordan over when Jordan hadn't yet won a single title and was desperate to get to the next level. Furthermore, Jackson never did anything to Jordan like what he's done to Bryant. Jordan respected Jackson because Jackson respected Jordan and wasn't afraid to show it. But Jackson doesn't respect Bryant. He thinks -- or at least has said he thinks -- that Bryant is a self-absorbed infant. Bryant didn't respect that before, and he's not going to respect it now.

I agree. I think it would be hard for Phil to put this team together even if he didn't have some bad history with Kobe. As it is, the chemistry is so doubtful that even a short losing streak and the whole thing could blow up.

In any case, for the Lakers to have even a chance at winning 50, they need an awful lot of improbable things to happen like K Brown becomes a real player, someone learns how to play point guard, they learn to play defense, etc.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Very good points by both of you. I just think Phil, every time he stepped into a situation where the talent level is not playing to its expected manner, he maximizes the production. Say what you want about Kobe but its hard to argue he is not most similar to Jordan than the other replicas that have been paraded out over the last ten years. Once again im not saying he alone is enough to win it all, im saying he and Phil will work toghther enough to the point to get the team into the playoffs and possibly win 50. i respect the talent of both of them that much. It will come to play through out the season and I'm excited to see how a lot of different stroylines turn out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
As they project now, if every player plays at the same level as they did last season, well then you are going to be right. This is what many national prognosticators will say as well and your opinion will be a popular viewpoint. I on the other hand have this idea in my head that Phil Jackson, his coaching ability and motivation, will lead to many players playing at a higher level.

Wow, i think its absurd that you don't factor in motivation into a projected players performance. While it is difficult to quantify and some players respond differently, "contract years", playing against a team that snubbed you, responding to national criticism, and proving others wrong/right are all factors when players play. His rape trial, his problems with playing too single minded (and more importantly not having a coach who knew how to reign him in), and the injuries and sudden resigantion of Rudy T were all contributing factors to his teams demise. I'm not sure how any one is surprised that Frank Hamblen took over a team that was in the playoffs seeding wise and their stock began to drop almost as suddenly.

But I dont expect my view point to be very widely accepted and I will not even attempt to convince you, BUT I will explain my thought process so you all know im just not throwing darts if/when it proves to be true.

I have read a "Season on the Brink" and am very intimate in my knowledge of the Lakers as I have many friends from LA so this knowledge is what i base my opinion on.

- Phil Jackson is a master of the mental game. Many will look at the past happenings of Kobe and Phil and assume they cannot co exist and more importantly succeed. But what you learn is that Phil sided with Shaq and Kobe resented that. Alienating Kobe was Jacksons tactic to motivate the rest of his team. Now he will come back and change the teams mindset again, but this time it will center around Kobe. But Phil will convince Kobe that while he is the focus he has to invlove his teammates. He did it with Jordan, and Kobe is as physically talented adn has a similar work ethic. Phil would not have come back if he did'nt think he could do this same thing, and you realize that reading his book. Its in Kobes best interests to listen to Phil and as i said "he will be highly motivated" and his talent level is unbelievable. KB maynot like Phil all the time, but he respects the rings and Jordan..... In my moind Phil is worth eight wins himself

- I believe LO will become and 18 6 and 4 guy under jackson as Phil said in this same book that he told Odom LAST YEAR, "I would have love to been able to coach you.."

- I think Kwame, while he will never be a 20 - 10 guy, can be effective in the triangle.

- Phil doesn't need a PG...Never has never will....

- Luke Walton will develop into an all-star....(;) ok thats not going to happen but im a total homer)

There are some definite concerns but for my own reasons i see Lakers being a surprise team and Kobe being a top 5 MVP candidate......But of course they will be ten games behind the Suns and Amare's getting the team back to back MVP's..

Appreciate the answer, but I hardly see having "friends from LA" as being your monopoly on knowing more about the Lakers than anyone else. I actually live here, so not only are my friends Laker fans, but so are all the people I come in contact with. It's quite nauseating, actually. :D

Also, regardless of where you are from or what school you attended, when you say that Luke Walton will be an all-star (I know you're joking, but I'm sure you still believe he will be a very good player) based on the fact he went to Arizona, it kinda shoots your theory of being really knowledgable about the Lakers in the foot, don't you think? How can you realistically look at the team if homerism is an element? We get into this arguement sometimes on this board regarding the Suns. I also went to UofA, and I don't see Luke Walton being starter material, let alone being called anything remotely close to a star. Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Kobe will always be a threat to be the MVP, but that's just because he's a great player. Odom is the classic underachiever--but I will grant that Jackson might have some luck with him--how much, is the question--a player like Odom doesn't have a lot of margin for improvement, he's not going to become Lebron James this season.

Brown, however, is a big problem. This is a guy that is a total bust. He won't be a star in LA, and he'll barely be a starter. Chris Mihm is better. And let's not even mention the bench, which is nonexistant. I don't care about the whole PG arguement because I know that the triangle doesn't need it--and you have to assume that Kobe will run the offense. With this personnel, he HAS to.

Finally, Kobe and Phil will co-exist together, and 2005-2006 will be the year that the NBA finally sees how good a coach Phil Jackson really is. He doesn't get to inherit a team that already has a Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan, or a Shaq and Kobe. It's just Kobe, and as we all know, that is not enough to sniff the championship.

Kobe having something to prove? Sure. You expect him to average 40 points a game, 12 rebounds and 15 assists? How much better do you expect him to be? He was already a phenomenal basketball player, having "something to prove" isn't going to change his game, and even if he DID garner better statistics, how much better will they be?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Appreciate the answer, but I hardly see having "friends from LA" as being your monopoly on knowing more about the Lakers than anyone else. I actually live here, so not only are my friends Laker fans, but so are all the people I come in contact with. It's quite nauseating, actually. :D

Also, regardless of where you are from or what school you attended, when you say that Luke Walton will be an all-star (I know you're joking, but I'm sure you still believe he will be a very good player) based on the fact he went to Arizona, it kinda shoots your theory of being really knowledgable about the Lakers in the foot, don't you think? How can you realistically look at the team if homerism is an element? We get into this arguement sometimes on this board regarding the Suns. I also went to UofA, and I don't see Luke Walton being starter material, let alone being called anything remotely close to a star. Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

Kobe will always be a threat to be the MVP, but that's just because he's a great player. Odom is the classic underachiever--but I will grant that Jackson might have some luck with him--how much, is the question--a player like Odom doesn't have a lot of margin for improvement, he's not going to become Lebron James this season.

Brown, however, is a big problem. This is a guy that is a total bust. He won't be a star in LA, and he'll barely be a starter. Chris Mihm is better. And let's not even mention the bench, which is nonexistant. I don't care about the whole PG arguement because I know that the triangle doesn't need it--and you have to assume that Kobe will run the offense. With this personnel, he HAS to.

Finally, Kobe and Phil will co-exist together, and 2005-2006 will be the year that the NBA finally sees how good a coach Phil Jackson really is. He doesn't get to inherit a team that already has a Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan, or a Shaq and Kobe. It's just Kobe, and as we all know, that is not enough to sniff the championship.

Kobe having something to prove? Sure. You expect him to average 40 points a game, 12 rebounds and 15 assists? How much better do you expect him to be? He was already a phenomenal basketball player, having "something to prove" isn't going to change his game, and even if he DID garner better statistics, how much better will they be?

Oh chap....always picking on me....

My "friends in LA" comment was not too either impress you are speak to my knowledge of the Lakers being more than anyone else on this board. I was merely suggesting that othen than the Suns, I know the most about the Lakers due to my previously living there and talking basketball with my numerous LA friends (which as it turns out, many of you are i guess)

As for Luke Walton, im kind of dissapointed that you dont give me more credit. Luke Walton is my favorite college basketball player of all time (for a plethora of reasons) and i will not deny that when originally drafted I thought he could play a ROLE in the triangle offense. I have since ceased to give him even that much credit and expect nothing but the occasional nice game from him from this point on. So dont assume because i have an affinity for a certain player that it makes me ignorant to all other aspects of the game. Im not naive....By your measure my being a diehard Cardinal fan would make me an idiot about the NFL, but that could'nt be further from the truth....I just have a place in my heart for players that are not ALL-stars as well as the elite....but that doesn't mean i was in any way I am suggesting Luke is going to be anything to write home about. I thought the smiley winking was enough but i digress....

As for your thoughts on the LAkers, well i disagree (what a shock!!:confused: ) and as i was not trying to convince you earlier, i dont expect you to jump ship now. You should'nt expect the same of me....we will see what happens as the season plays out..................

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
I consider myself a 'realistic' Laker fan (I believe my track record on this board speaks for itself) and I think most of you are underestimating the Lakers. I think the will win between 45-50 games. To a couple of comments:

elindhom:
First let me say that I find myself agreeing with you a lot, but this time, uhhh not so much. The gist I got from your post is that Kobe's bitterness towards Jackson will cause him to play sub-standard basketball and submarine the Lakers' season. Which to me is rediculous.

One, Jackson wouldn't be back with the Lakers unless Kobe was good with it. If he told Buss that there was absolutely no way he could play for Phil he would not have been hired back as a coach. Nothing I have heard or seen makes me think that this coaching move has been forced onto Kobe. In fact, Tex Winter said that the Kobe and Phil started discussing/repairing their relationship as early as last January. Now, I would never say they are best of friends, but I do believe that they will work together well, especially because Jackson will do exactly what Kobe has been pining for, and that is designing the offensive attack around Kobe and his abilities.

Two, Kobe can be a ballhog and isn't perfect, but he is not a person that will lose on purpose. If you really think that Kobe would simply sabatoge the team, because he can 'outlast' Phil's tenure then you really don't know Kobe. If anything he is competitive to a fault and does the thing he does on the court becasue he believes that is the best way for his team to win.

Lastly, the biggest reason I think you point of view is a reach is because I think that Kobe and Phil know that what happens with this team will be how their legacy is viewed. That is some powerful stuff for 2 of the most succesful NBA personas of the last 15 years or so. Look, if Phil and Kobe don't get along and this whole thing fails misreably then what exactly will people say? 'Phil is overrated and only won when he had the Michael and Shaq, and Kobe is an immature ballhog who rode Shaq's coattails'. Both of them are better then that, and they know that this is thier chance to prove to people their worth. Looking at it that way, you know that you'll get the best out of these two, because the only things that fuel people as egotistical as these guys is their legacy.

Now whether their best is good enough has yet to be seen. However, they will not be brought down by the attitudes that you are proposing.

Couple random thoughts:

- Odom, will look a lot better this year playing at his natural position. He was out of place at PF. He did a good enough job on the boards, but had a hard time defending in the post. Plus, Phil wants him handling the ball a lot more, which is where LO is effective. Last year the flux in the coaching staff really hindered Odom as he was never put into a position to use his strengths. He will be able to play that point-forward that he is very good at.

-Kobe looks to be a monster this year. I know some believed that he had all off season last year to prepare to be the man, but it wasn't true. Almost the whole summer was consumed with his court case. It wasn't dropped until shortly beofre the season. No one can understand the stress he was under with that, unless you have been in a similar situation. To try and quantify it from afar is unfair. All I know is from all reports he looks READY.

-Kwame, I have absolutely no expectations for. I know that if anyone ever needed a change of scenery it was him. All he has to do, is go out and play hard, and I will be happy. We'll see if that happens.

-Phil will put this team into positions to succeed. People can hate all they want, but Phil has done this time after time in his carreer.

Finally, I will say this, I don't expect to be contenders this year, but I know that they will be much improved. Short of an injury to Odom or Kobe, the Lakers will be back in the playoffs next year.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Nice summary Lakeshow.

I agree that Odom will look a lot better this year. The team did horribly at getting him involved last season. Plus I think he is the type of player that will just absolutely thrive under Jackson.

Secondly, I seriously think this season more of less hinges on Kwame Brown. If he plays well all season long then the Lakers could hit 50. If he plays inconsistant, the Lakers will win 40.

My personal feeling on them is that they will finish with about 44 wins putting them right in the hunt for the 8th playoff spot. Either way they will be better this season than last.

fordronken

Reaction score
LakeShowMan said:
- Odom, will look a lot better this year playing at his natural position. He was out of place at PF. He did a good enough job on the boards, but had a hard time defending in the post. Plus, Phil wants him handling the ball a lot more, which is where LO is effective. Last year the flux in the coaching staff really hindered Odom as he was never put into a position to use his strengths. He will be able to play that point-forward that he is very good at.

I agree that he will play much better this year within the triangle offense. However, a lot of his success will be determined by his ability to catch and shoot from outside of fifteen feet.

I also don't know that he won't be playing a lot of power forward. That really has a lot to do with how Kwame looks. I expect him to put in at least fifteen minutes a game at power forward, and depending on how some players look, possibly even starting there.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Nice summary Lakeshow.

I agree that Odom will look a lot better this year. The team did horribly at getting him involved last season. Plus I think he is the type of player that will just absolutely thrive under Jackson.

Secondly, I seriously think this season more of less hinges on Kwame Brown. If he plays well all season long then the Lakers could hit 50. If he plays inconsistant, the Lakers will win 40.

My personal feeling on them is that they will finish with about 44 wins putting them right in the hunt for the 8th playoff spot. Either way they will be better this season than last.

Yeah, Kwame will need to step up for this team to be highly successful. I believe that the change of scenery will help, but I also believe that he will get easier scoring opportunities with Kobe and Odom. Both are good at attracting doubles and dishing off. Kwame has alright hands, and should get at least 2 or 3 good looks a game just off that. He will have to fight for rebounds as well. We'll see if he can do it. Like I said I am going in with no expectations, so either he will live down to that or I will be pleasantly surprise.

Last edited:

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I agree that he will play much better this year within the triangle offense. However, a lot of his success will be determined by his ability to catch and shoot from outside of fifteen feet.

I also don't know that he won't be playing a lot of power forward. That really has a lot to do with how Kwame looks. I expect him to put in at least fifteen minutes a game at power forward, and depending on how some players look, possibly even starting there.

Agreed, however unlike last year when it was his primary position, this year he can be used there when we have a good match up or as a change of pace. He can still perform at the 4, but instead of being down there all game and getting foul trouble, he will be placed there when he gives us an advantage doing so. LO is so versatile that he should be able to be put into positions to take advantage of those abilities. That is where Phils presence will help more than anything.

As far as his 15 foot jump shot we will see. He has tendency for his shot to get a little flat sometimes, but he definitly has the ability to do it. The advantage lies in the fact that other then proabably KG, there is not another guy his size in the league that handles the ball aswell as he does. When players try to close out on him on that jumper, he is really good at putting it on the floor and getting to the rim.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The gist I got from your post is that Kobe's bitterness towards Jackson will cause him to play sub-standard basketball and submarine the Lakers' season.

No, I wouldn't have gone that far. However, we know that Bryant has, in the past, sarcastically "altered" his game when he got too fed up with Jackson's act. There were a couple of well publicized occasions when he refused to shoot in the first half. O'Neal constantly complained about Bryant's freelancing, and while my general feeling about O'Neal is that he's 340 pounds of ********, there was probably something to his criticisms.

Bryant won't lose on purpose. He has too much self-respect for that. But will he completely buy into everything Jackson tells him and follow Coach Mindgame's plan to the absolute best of his ability? I doubt it.

LakeShowMan

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The gist I got from your post is that Kobe's bitterness towards Jackson will cause him to play sub-standard basketball and submarine the Lakers' season.

No, I wouldn't have gone that far. However, we know that Bryant has, in the past, sarcastically "altered" his game when he got too fed up with Jackson's act. There were a couple of well publicized occasions when he refused to shoot in the first half. O'Neal constantly complained about Bryant's freelancing, and while my general feeling about O'Neal is that he's 340 pounds of ********, there was probably something to his criticisms.

Bryant won't lose on purpose. He has too much self-respect for that. But will he completely buy into everything Jackson tells him and follow Coach Mindgame's plan to the absolute best of his ability? I doubt it.

I guess we'll see if that is the case. There will be times that Phil and Kobe don't see eye-to-eye, but they both realize that they personally have too much riding on the success of this second run together to let it bring down the team.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kobe is great and Odom is pretty good. Beyond that, the Lakers are not a particularly talented team with minimal depth. Unless someone has a breakout year, this looks like a 40 win team to me.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Lakeshow, it sounds like you have some expectations for Kwame otherwise you couldn't be so confident that Odom will be back at SF. If Kwame is only a bit player (and Bynum doesn't miraculously mature) who is going to join Mihm manning the the PF & C slots?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
LakeShowMan said:
Two, Kobe can be a ballhog and isn't perfect, but he is not a person that will lose on purpose. If you really think that Kobe would simply sabatoge the team, because he can 'outlast' Phil's tenure then you really don't know Kobe. If anything he is competitive to a fault and does the thing he does on the court becasue he believes that is the best way for his team to win.

I can recall three instances where that proposition is challenged. First, Phil Jackson ripped Kobe in the media for allegedly keeping games close when he was in high school, just so he could finish the games with last second heroics. I remember that this took place right after Kobe either refused to read or refused to take to heart a book Phil gave him to read.
Second, after being criticized for shooting too much and not passing enough, he essentially refused to shoot one game and forced passes rather than take open shots. Third, HE FORCED SHAQ TO GET TRADED. For all his talent and potential, Kobe Bryant is still a spoiled, selfish, immature, child in a very talented man's body. That is not to say that Kobe will not try to play well with the team, but he has done nothing to show that he is above throwing a selfish little tantrum when he does not think that the world is worshiping him enough for his liking.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake