Present depth chart

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
So, in other words, the list is invalid.

Any numerical rating by human judges is going to be subjective and flawed. It probably undervalues Tucker, but not by a lot. He is either a shooting guard who is not good at shooting or a small forward who is too small. His PER and WS/48 put him in the mid 200s.

But when we reach the point that we are saying that our starting SF is statistically much better than the experts rank him because he WS/48 puts him as one of the 250 best players in the league, then we have a pretty awful lineup.

I love Tucker's hustle and defense, but there is a reason why he played overseas for a few years. He isn't that good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any numerical rating by human judges is going to be subjective and flawed. It probably undervalues Tucker, but not by a lot. He is either a shooting guard who is not good at shooting or a small forward who is too small. His PER and WS/48 put him in the mid 200s.

But when we reach the point that we are saying that our starting SF is statistically much better than the experts rank him because he WS/48 puts him as one of the 250 best players in the league, then we have a pretty awful lineup.

I love Tucker's hustle and defense, but there is a reason why he played overseas for a few years. He isn't that good.

Disagree. He wasn't that good. It took him awhile to learn a new position, he's really much better suited to play down low minus the height/length issue. I think he'd be a great energy guy playing for a good team. I'd put his value on a par with Bruce Bowen if he were surrounded by the right players. Keep in mind that Bowen was a marginal player for the first several years of his career too. Put a 30 year old Bowen on this team and there'd be rating systems showing him in the 300's too but ask any coach how important that kind of player can be.

You referred to it as a "pretty awful lineup". It would be hard (almost impossible) to argue against that although I maintain it's still too early to throw in the towel. The right mix of players with the right coaches can surprise in this league. It's highly unlikely but I think back to that year when Orlando was projected to be among the worst in the league. They did well enough that their rookie head coach was COY and some of those unheralded parts were then packaged for a top 5 player.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
There is another ranking like ESPN's which uses Win Shares to rank all NBA players - and guesses for the players that have no history. The site is called 'Wages of Wins'. I haven't looked at it for a couple of months now but their ranking was fairly close to ESPN's. I think we were rated worst or second worst at the time - quite a few changes since then.

Edit: I just checked the site and it has not been updated since July 8th. At that time we were projected to be the worst team by quite a large margin - 8 games worse than any other team.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: I just checked the site and it has not been updated since July 8th. At that time we were projected to be the worst team by quite a large margin - 8 games worse than any other team.

Philadelphia has something to say about that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Are you kidding? Worse was last year. Bad GM, bad coach (Hunter), team in disarray, no plan.

Now we've cleared out the clutter, we have young players with potential and a boatload of picks. We have Goran and Bledsoe, and while they are not top two type players on a team, they are good young talent, both of them. We have Archie, Len, and Plumlee surprising. We also have Green to give us a little entertainment for the year while not spoiling our chances at ping pong balls.

Beasley is gone, Shannon Brown is gone. We have a competent coach who has ties to the organization, is known to be a teacher. We have a young GM who seems to get it, and while not every move has been a home run, they all have been sound.

I am looking forward to this year.

Totally agree - last year was completely depressing - this year, we've done pretty much everything I could have hoped for. Who knows whether or not it actually works, but it at least appears we have a plan, which is a damn sight better than what we've dealt with recently.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I will enjoy this year, because even knowing we will be awful, I wont feel like its a waste. Last year was a roster I really didnt like before they ever took the court, they took the court and I hated them more, and it was a complete was of a year for the franchise.

I want to see some young guys run, dunk... and learn from their many mistakes. Opposed to last year watching older players suck, blow and whine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake