Put Amare On The Block....

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
get him out of here...the suns cannot win a title with his piss poor defense. Who can we get for him? I think we will get low-balled due to his knees...

Would you really risk Camby (injury diva) for STAT?
Tyson "one hit wonder" Chandler for Black Jesus?

There is no reason to do either of those...Amare for KG last summer, YES

but as for now who will help us??? Boozer? Kobe? Gasol? J-Smooth? Al Jefferson? Bosh? D Howard?

J-Smooth?

Dumbest sports knickname EVER!

cly2tw

Reaction score
Steve Nash brings alot to the table, I dont question him. But dont foolishly think its a good plan to have amare just stand in the lane blocking the shots of penetrators who come in at will, its a crappy plan and wont work in the NBA for any big man. If he moives on the penetrator the lob and offensive rebound will be wide open for his defensive assignment and that would be stupid.

I am willing to bet Howard did the same things(follows, lobs) on tim duncan, to the tune of 34 points, and no one is questioning Duncans toughness at all. At some point people are going to have to realize that Howard is a tremendous talent, he has(9) 30/15 games this year in the NBA, the next most is 2(Boozer), so Howard is the real deal and myabe, just maybe nobody can really stop him. The suns won both games and the spurs also beat them when Howard scored 34, but we complain about Dwights stats? The magic did beat the celtics, so mayhbe they are pretty good. Amare averaged 37 against the spurs in the '05 playoffs, but the spurs won anyway. Do you thing spurs fans were complaining that amare scored 37ppg after the series? I'm betting POPs didnt care how many points amare scored in that series.

TD got 36/17/3 shooting 15/25 against Amare's 17/6/3. But we won the game. We let Amare defend TD 1-on-1 most of the game but kept others in check despite bad game by Nash and Bell apparently still hurt. Amare held his ground sufficiently enough for the win!

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
i wouldnt say he held his ground but he did come up big in the end with that offensive rebound. i mean come on, nash had more rebounds than amare did. his knees do look shot though. he sat out a huge chunk from the end of the 3rd and the 4th and looked like he was icing both knees.

cly2tw

Reaction score
i wouldnt say he held his ground but he did come up big in the end with that offensive rebound. i mean come on, nash had more rebounds than amare did. his knees do look shot though. he sat out a huge chunk from the end of the 3rd and the 4th and looked like he was icing both knees.

Healthy is probably the problem with Amare's current under performance on the stats sheet. But he played to the team concept. He boxed out whenwell in position but often got lost and out of position for rebound after helping out. It appears, holding ground the way he did can be sufficient for the Suns to win even against the best. And Nash and Bell were not even shoting well. That gotta be encouraging. And once Amare is back energy-wise, watch out!

nowagimp

Reaction score
TD got 36/17/3 shooting 15/25 against Amare's 17/6/3. But we won the game. We let Amare defend TD 1-on-1 most of the game but kept others in check despite bad game by Nash and Bell apparently still hurt. Amare held his ground sufficiently enough for the win!

Exactly, and that was the plan, let TD get his, stop the role players around him. That was also the plan in last years playoffs and was working pretty well until the suspensions. It worked against howard, as the suns won both games against the magic, and it worked for the spurs against amare in '05 playoffs. Yet fans get all jacked up with the numbers, its a simplistic view. Manu was only 6-19 last night, thats some of the the best defense on manu all year.

Kolo

Reaction score
For the first time, I doubt Amare reaching superstar status, and so I think trading him should be considered, but we should only move him if we get much deeper, much better defensively, and save money so we can stop dumping assets to get under the luxury tax. Amare and Banks for Duhon, Nocioni, Ty Thomas, Joakim Noah and Adrian Griffin works, and if we could get a haul like that I think it would be a mistake not to. But if it's just a lateral move (like Amare for Camby) I think we should stick with what we have.

nowagimp

Reaction score
For the first time, I doubt Amare reaching superstar status, and so I think trading him should be considered, but we should only move him if we get much deeper, much better defensively, and save money so we can stop dumping assets to get under the luxury tax. Amare and Banks for Duhon, Nocioni, Ty Thomas, Joakim Noah and Adrian Griffin works, and if we could get a haul like that I think it would be a mistake not to. But if it's just a lateral move (like Amare for Camby) I think we should stick with what we have.

Amare is the suns only inside threat. Although there is alot of decent pieces in your proposal, it leaves tha suns with no inside presence, meaning the spacing will be worse. If the suns were rebuilding, maybe, but only a fool would make that trade and expect to pursue a championship with NO inside game. And Tyrus Thomas is a dud, cant create his own shot and he's a tweener. Maybe in 5 years thomas could start for someone, but he has such a skills defecit to overcome its gonna be a long time.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
actually is J-Smoove. yeah, makes you sound like a degenerate when you say it.

Wow. 'J-Smoove' is even more terrible then 'J-Smooth'. Hurts my brain just thinking about it.

Unfortunate, since Smith is turning into a nice player. Means we are going to hear more of that nickname. Ugh.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is what I thought immediately seeing the title of the thread.:D

The current approach of the Suns under DA is just inconsistent, not optimizing the team's chance at the title at all. When Amare's energy is there, he is the best on the team. It's definitely easier to fix the coaching issue than to trade him for equal value.
I think it's all about scoring with DA. The pick and roll beats most teams in the league when you have nash+ amare. It almost had the same results with the nash pick and pop with dirk.......that also beat a lot of teams in the regular season. However, I think for amare to take that next step in his game, they have to post him up consistently.. I don't think it's his fault. When they do throw it to him down low he seems to have great ability. They just don't do it nearly enough........at least in the games I've watched. Defensively, he just has to bring it. But the problem is when he does he gets in foul trouble......and the suns really don't have another big player to back him up at the defensive end. unless they give skinner more time.......which is bound to happen IMO. don't trade him though. put him down low and pound it.

I missed the game last night because the mavs/magic game was too close. that dwight howard is something else. It's scary to think what that guy might be in 5 years.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
... we trade another player (ie, Shawn) for an asset to complement Amare....
You mean like Kevin Garnett? I still drool at the thought of KG and Amare manning the Twin-4 positions.

Every time I see the Celtics record, I think, that could have been us. And I'll think it even more when the Celtics win the NBA championship in 2008.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
What about a trade centered around Marion for Rasheed?

Rasheed is supposedly a pretty good low-post defender who could guard guys like Tim Duncan while spreading our offense to the 3 pt line like Tim Thomas did at the 4.

I know there's concerns about his attitude, but he's also supposedly a good teammate and would be the kind of guy to get in his opponents face. He'd bring the kind of swagger we've been missing.

I know there was talk of Kerr wanting like 2 detroit starters + picks for Marion, which is a bit unrealistic, but maybe Marion could at least net Rasheed and a few smaller pieces. I think Marion has a higher trade value than Rasheed does.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhh....ya think?

Lets see....Dwight Howard unleashed the mother of all ownage TWICE on Amare this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3818

31 point and 20 rebound AVERAGE in two games.

But Howard is a SUPERSTAR! You can understand him having big games against Amare since he has big games against everyone, right?

But what about:
Chris Wilcox (23 & 11)
Andrew Bynum (14 & 13)
Ilgausakas (22 & 13)
Shaq (25 & 10)
Chris Kaman (17 & 14)
Yao Ming (31 & 13)
Al Jefferson (32 & 20)
The entire Miami front court last week (all had double doubles)
Carlos Boozer (24 & 13)
Tyson Chandler (14 & 18)

Thats 12 (including both Dwight Howard games) that Amare was thoroughly and utterly owned by his opponent.

He's played in 21 games this season. That means he's been outplayed 57% of the time.

What am I missing here? Why is everyone still on his jock? He doesn't have it anymore. He lost it with that last surgery.

Bump.

Tim Duncan (36 & 17........Eat your heart out Dwight Howard)
Eric Dampier (8 & 10 and 5 blocks)
Chris Bosh (42 & 13........Dwight Who?)
Andrew Bynum (28 & 12)

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhh....ya think?

Lets see....Dwight Howard unleashed the mother of all ownage TWICE on Amare this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3818

31 point and 20 rebound AVERAGE in two games.

But Howard is a SUPERSTAR! You can understand him having big games against Amare since he has big games against everyone, right?

But what about:
Chris Wilcox (23 & 11)
Andrew Bynum (14 & 13)
Ilgausakas (22 & 13)
Shaq (25 & 10)
Chris Kaman (17 & 14)
Yao Ming (31 & 13)
Al Jefferson (32 & 20)
The entire Miami front court last week (all had double doubles)
Carlos Boozer (24 & 13)
Tyson Chandler (14 & 18)

Thats 12 (including both Dwight Howard games) that Amare was thoroughly and utterly owned by his opponent.

He's played in 21 games this season. That means he's been outplayed 57% of the time.

What am I missing here? Why is everyone still on his jock? He doesn't have it anymore. He lost it with that last surgery.

Bump.

Tim Duncan (36 & 17........Eat your heart out Dwight Howard)
Eric Dampier (8 & 10 and 5 blocks)
Chris Bosh (42 & 13........Dwight Who?)
Andrew Bynum (28 & 12)

cly2tw

Reaction score
amare 30 and 15 in 26 minutes, while not having to guard Kaman extensively.

Actually, Amare was not bad guarding Kamann one-on-one. Kamann had more success against Skinner. Amare's main problem is positioning for box-out rebounds and disorientation after rotating to help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05