R.I.P. Kris Kristofferson

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if he'd never written another song, he'll never be forgotten thanks to Sunday Morning Coming Down. We're in the middle of watching the Harry Potter series as a tribute to Professor McGonagall but when we're done, it's straight to Payback, Blade and Lone Star for us. And he's only the bad guy in two of those three. RIP Kris.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great song writer and entertainer. By all accounts a nice person as well. Helped others get their big break like John Prine.

R.I.P. legend.
As a longtime Prine fan I was surprised I didn't know about this. I'd always thought that Steve Goodman paved the way for John. But after reading your post, I looked Prine up on Wikipedia and sure enough, Kris invited the almost unknown John Prine to be his opening act. It appears that Steve Goodman (a great song writer himself) pushed hard for KK to give Prine a listen but Kris gave him that first big break.

OP
OP
TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As a longtime Prine fan I was surprised I didn't know about this. I'd always thought that Steve Goodman paved the way for John. But after reading your post, I looked Prine up on Wikipedia and sure enough, Kris invited the almost unknown John Prine to be his opening act. It appears that Steve Goodman (a great song writer himself) pushed hard for KK to give Prine a listen but Kris gave him that first big break.
A sad thought is that Steve Goodman may have been able to live longer today with tha advances in treating leukemia. But back then it wasn’t so.

Goodman and Prine had such a great chemistry and Kris was instrumental in both of their careers.

Sad that the old singer songwriters are dying off. An era that was so unique and eclectic in its music and artists.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A sad thought is that Steve Goodman may have been able to live longer today with tha advances in treating leukemia. But back then it wasn’t so.

Goodman and Prine had such a great chemistry and Kris was instrumental in both of their careers.

Sad that the old singer songwriters are dying off. An era that was so unique and eclectic in its music and artists.
So true. And so few people have even heard of Goodman because leukemis took him so early. Although a lot of artists recorded what was probably his biggest hit, David Allan Coe's version is my favorite simply for the lines David added on his own:

Well, a friend of mine named Steve Goodman wrote that song
And he told me it was the perfect country & western song
I wrote him back a letter and I told him it was not the perfect country & western song
Because he hadn't said anything at all about mama
Or trains, or trucks, or prison, or getting' drunk
Well, he sat down and wrote another verse to the song and he sent it to me
And after reading it I realized that my friend had written the perfect country & western song
And I felt obliged to include it on this album
The last verse goes like this here

Reactions: TRW

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake