Rams fans thoughts on Marmie

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Here's what some Rams fans think about Marmie. Actually some nice posters over there, and they all seem to HATE the Bid' family.
They were complaining about Lovie's "bend don't break" defense and hope that Marmie can change that. Wow, they are in for a rude awakening!

http://news.stlouisrams.com/ramslife/MBoard/RamsTalk|37550?Page=1

You'll have to cut and paste the link, sorry.

Last edited:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:
Well, someone will be luaghing in January, and I doubt it will be someone wearing red.
Probably not but they won't be wearing blue and yellow either.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rams4evah said:
Well, someone will be luaghing in January, and I doubt it will be someone wearing red.

Probably. But, odds are, you can join us. Misery loves company.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that he got the same job after the lack of success he had with the Cards. I could see the Rams taking him, but at least demote him to LB coach or something.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I'm really surprised that he got the same job after the lack of success he had with the Cards. I could see the Rams taking him, but at least demote him to LB coach or something.

This should be "Exhibit A" the next time someone talks about how the "Good Old Boy" network works in the NFL.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Probably not but they won't be wearing blue and yellow either.

Nice to have you back, VF, and you've almost hit 3,000 posts! Not bad for a guy who cheers for a team that wears purple and has a long haired guy with braids on their helmet! :thumbup:

Maybe Rams4sucka will take a little heat off of you around here.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean, let's look at this objectively...our head coach was so bad, he was only able to land a job as a LB coach...A LB COACH!!! Sure, everyone in the media ranted and raved about his abilities, but the proof is in the pudding: He sucks. Perhaps he is able to coach individual skills well. We shall see.

His staff, for the most part, also sucked. We all know Sullivan was no OC. Marmie is no DC either...unless a poor one. His players, though not good in and of themselves, could have played much better, given a scheme that played to their strengths. Heck, given a scheme, period, other than 'let's not blitz and let's play 10 yards off the receivers'.

Bottom line: Marmie ain't a good DC and Mac sure in the heck wasn't HC material.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Stout said:
I mean, let's look at this objectively...our head coach was so bad, he was only able to land a job as a LB coach...A LB COACH!!! Sure, everyone in the media ranted and raved about his abilities, but the proof is in the pudding: He sucks. Perhaps he is able to coach individual skills well. We shall see.

His staff, for the most part, also sucked. We all know Sullivan was no OC. Marmie is no DC either...unless a poor one. His players, though not good in and of themselves, could have played much better, given a scheme that played to their strengths. Heck, given a scheme, period, other than 'let's not blitz and let's play 10 yards off the receivers'.

Bottom line: Marmie ain't a good DC and Mac sure in the heck wasn't HC material.
:thumbup:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Some of the Rams fans seemed to have missed the point about Lovie "running Marmie's system". As I remember, after working at ASU, Lovie went to work in Tampa Bay, and became a Cover-2 Dungy disciple. That's the system that he installed in the STL. I can't imagine that Marmie knows the Cover-2 precepts and nuances that Smith had.

For example, the Cover-2 requires excellent tackling, and a certain kind of tackling that re-directs players in case they break the tackle. Marmie's defenses were side-shows of brutal tackling techniques. Are there worse tacklers on the team than Ronald McKinnon and Raynoch Thompson?

Also, the Cover-2 relies on the back seven defenders dropping back into coverage, and all the pass rush coming from the defensive line. Arizona's defensive line was horrible under Marmie's guidance, despite many draft picks invested in the line. Furthermore, gimmicky blitzing (those smoke and mirrors that we heard about for so long) has been the Hallmark of Marmie's "genius" for the past three years. Even when the defensive line was good, we were blitzing LBs all the time. Can Marmie make that adjustment and put his linebackers in the position to succeed in coverage? I have no reason to think so.

These guys are steeped in good feelings. Ike Bruce and Marshall Faulk are another year older. Marc Bulger is not the QB that Kurt Warner used to be. That Furrey guy is no Az Hakim. The defense is going to have to make up the difference. Marmie and Martz are going to be out of the job in the next two years.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
what I don't understand from Martz is why hire Marmie when Marmie never ran the cover 2 scheme? From reading from other Rams board is they are still going to ran the cover 2 but with bigger DT in the middle. If Martz wants a Cover 2 defense then hire a guy who has experience in it not bend or break defense.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
what I don't understand from Martz is why hire Marmie when Marmie never ran the cover 2 scheme? From reading from other Rams board is they are still going to ran the cover 2 but with bigger DT in the middle. If Martz wants a Cover 2 defense then hire a guy who has experience in it not bend or break defense.

Cover 2 D without any pass rush and nothing but 2 330 lb DT's in the middle = disaster

Cover 2 doesnt work unless you have a good pass rush.