Ram's O-line doesn't seem stable!

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Some tidbits from KFFL, I would love to see the Ram's O-line be in shambles, at least for that first game! Everyone knows that cohesion is what makes a line good!

Rams | Offensive Line Having Issues - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:34:26 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams offensive line will be far from intact when training camp kicks off, as OLT Orlando Pace (hold out), C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip) and ORT Kyle Turley will be trying to shake off rust.

Rams | Wohlabaugh to take it Easy - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:34:05 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip) will be handled softly by the Rams when training camp starts due to a nagging hip injury. The team will be cautious with him, waiting for his discomfort to ease.

Rams | Pace Expected Earlier than Last Year - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:33:46 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz said he expects OT Orlando Pace to be at training camp a bit earlier than he was last year. Pace is once again holding out over his current contract status.

Rams | Timmerman Returns as Starting ORG - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:33:35 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams ORG Adam Timmerman returns as the team's starter at offensive right guard.

Rams | McCollum to Work at Center - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:33:21 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams LG Andy McCollum will work at center in training camp, replacing an injured C Dave Wohlabaugh (hip).

Rams | King to Work at OLG - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:33:07 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams OL Andy King will work as the starting left guard during training camp due to the team shifting players around to accommodate injuries and holdouts.

Rams | Williams to Work at OLT - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:32:48 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams OT Grant Williams is likely to see most of the reps at offensive left tackle while OLT Orlando Pace is holding out.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, Pace will hold out until and Wohlabuagh's hip will not be well enough to play until September 13, 2004. After a serious drubbing by the Cardinals, they will do whatever is necessary to get Pace back into the camp. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
The "Turley shaking off rust" part makes me think maybe he didn't show up to camp in the condition they thought he would, which is great news.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Walter Jones holds out every year in Seattle, that means nothing. They will still have the best Oline in the division.

Rams4evah

Veteran
Reaction score
You might be able to steal one from us this year. Martz has a lot to work on this year, and a lot of people think the home opener against you guys is an easy win. By the half-way point in hte season the Rams will be going good. You have to admit that Martz makes good adjustments as the season goes by.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
From what I understand, Pace will hold out...

There is about 0% chance of this happening. As a franchise player, Pace is only paid on a per-game basis. If he holds out into the regular season, he'll forfeit something like $200,000. That won't help his barganing position any.

My understanding is that Orlando works out away from camp, and I believe he came in prepared to start last season after holding out of the entire camp and pre-season. He'll be back for Week 1, and he'll be ready.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
There is about 0% chance of this happening. As a franchise player, Pace is only paid on a per-game basis. If he holds out into the regular season, he'll forfeit something like $200,000. That won't help his barganing position any.

The thing is that Pace and Jones have been jumping through the same loop every year, and every year they get a one year tender and then get franchised again. I don't know the link, but I recall reading an article on Jones where he said he is sick of it and willing to sit out. I would assume the Pace feels the same way...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
I mentioned this and the fact that seattle has a big holdout as well and the 9ers too!. No one cared :(

Pace and Jones have both been holdouts, or had big contract squabbles, the last two offseasons as well. It meant nothing once the season started, and I don't think it will mean anything this year either.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oran said:
The thing is that Pace and Jones have been jumping through the same loop every year, and every year they get a one year tender and then get franchised again. I don't know the link, but I recall reading an article on Jones where he said he is sick of it and willing to sit out. I would assume the Pace feels the same way...

That's a big check to give up for nothing. Money talks in this league. TMQ did a write-up on the deals that these guys have passed on, and they're losing money every year that they hold out w/o a contract. Their agents are getting a piece of that check, too.

Both Jones and Pace are going to be starting at LT for their respective teams Week 1. Bank on it.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
That's a big check to give up for nothing. Money talks in this league. TMQ did a write-up on the deals that these guys have passed on, and they're losing money every year that they hold out w/o a contract. Their agents are getting a piece of that check, too.

Both Jones and Pace are going to be starting at LT for their respective teams Week 1. Bank on it.

I agree Pace will play in the home opener, but I think he'll be a little rusty.

Jones I see holding out. Remember, Winstrom got a gigantic signing bonus, and I'm sure Jones will be looking for something in the 18 million dollar range. $220,000 isn't that much when you are looking for $18, 000, 000.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oran said:
I agree Pace will play in the home opener, but I think he'll be a little rusty.

Jones I see holding out. Remember, Winstrom got a gigantic signing bonus, and I'm sure Jones will be looking for something in the 18 million dollar range. $220,000 isn't that much when you are looking for $18, 000, 000.

$220,000 is $220,000 no matter how you cut it. Is it going to be any different after Week 1? If anything, the 'Hawks are going to close down negotiations once the season starts. Jones has nothing to gain and everything to lose by holding out into the season. That's why he won't.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may regret posting this, but....

Am I the only one reading this thread that thinks the Cardinals' O-line doesn't seem too stable either? Are any of the o-line positions settled?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
$220,000 is $220,000 no matter how you cut it. Is it going to be any different after Week 1? If anything, the 'Hawks are going to close down negotiations once the season starts. Jones has nothing to gain and everything to lose by holding out into the season. That's why he won't.

Jones' franchise amount is 7.08 mil, so each game check will be will be about 450K, more than double 220K. So, yes, if it goes that far, Jones will play. But, I fully expect something long term to be worked out. Jones' figure would be 8.5mil next season if franchised again, so it's reaching the point where it makes financial sense for the Hawks to sign him long term, even with a bonus of 16-18mil.

OP
OP
Mr.Dibbs

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Am I the only one reading this thread that thinks the Cardinals' O-line doesn't seem too stable either? Are any of the o-line positions settled?

I agree, but it's always good to see our cocky division rivals suffer. Not enough bad things can happen to the Rams, and nostalgically, not enough bad things can happen to the Cowgirls.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Jones' franchise amount is 7.08 mil, so each game check will be will be about 450K, more than double 220K. So, yes, if it goes that far, Jones will play. But, I fully expect something long term to be worked out. Jones' figure would be 8.5mil next season if franchised again, so it's reaching the point where it makes financial sense for the Hawks to sign him long term, even with a bonus of 16-18mil.

I agree, but to say that either are going to be out is pretty ridiculous. On the other hand, the 'Hawks are going to have a mess on their hands next season, with a whole slew of franchise-caliber players' contracts expiring, including--I believe--Matt Hasselback and Shaun Alexander.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
I think that would be a fair assesment..this O-Line has underachieved every year...