Ray Thompson suspended four games

Jim O

Reaction score
Cardinals | Thompson Suspended - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:15:04 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley-Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals LB Ray Thompson has been suspended by the league for the final four games of the season for violating the league's Substance Abuse Policy.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What a clubhouse cancer. :rolleyes: That's 'roids, too. I guess all that talk of him being "too small for the NFL" finally got to him.

Too bad, though; he might have been our best defensive player this season. Funny how he got tagged before DB. I wonder if it was that THG.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
Cardinals | Thompson Suspended - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:15:04 -0800

Darren Urban, of the East Valley-Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals LB Ray Thompson has been suspended by the league for the final four games of the season for violating the league's Substance Abuse Policy.

Wow!!! I can't believe it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic - way to give that guy a nice fat contract - Ray has always been a mediocre LB and too small to play - now he's a juicer also - pathetic - I mean even on banned substances - with the exception of last week - the guy still was only average.

This is the worst season in 15 years of my being a Cardinal fan - two guys suspended for banned substances - that's not right - someone should take a fall for that.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
someone should take a fall for that.

Isn't that the point of the suspension?

No one can stop a player from using a banned substance but the player himself.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Alcohol related...

Tested positive for booze after the lambs game ... lost the appeal.

Hmmm, I would have failed that test after that game too.

Got a response Kerouac?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by swd1974
I was the only one that said he sucked. And he sucked on roids as well sheesh

Are we sure it was steroids? I am not.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Thompson Suspended by NFL

You must be registered for see images

Linebacker Ray Thompson of the Arizona Cardinals has been suspended without pay for the team’s final four regular-season games for violating the NFL Substance Abuse Policy.

“I was just informed of this by Rod Graves and per the league policy, Raynoch will be suspended for the final four games of the season,” stated Head Coach Dave McGinnis in his Tuesday press conference. “Our support (is with him) and there is a large support system here and in the league, and I just want the best for Raynoch and anything else as far the specifics, I am sure Ray or his agent will be able to answer. I am sad to have to inform you of this, I was very sad when I was informed of this about 20 minutes ago.”

Thompson’s suspension is effective immediately.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cards' Thompson suspended for rest of season
By Darren Urban, Tribune

Cardinals linebacker Raynoch Thompson was suspended Tuesday by the NFL for the final four games of the regular season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

“There is a large support system here and in the league,” coach Dave McGinnis said. “I just want the best for Raynoch.

“I was sad when I was informed of this this afternoon.”

Thompson, who had just signed a four-year contract extension Oct. 3, had been arrested for a DUI in 2001 and had made inactive by the team for a game in Dallas that season, a virtual one-game suspension.

Thompson, who will forfeit $291,000 of his salary, is tied for the team lead in sacks with three and is second on the team with 90 tackles.

http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=13939

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ill jump in too! Not padding sweetd

Cards' Thompson suspended for rest of season
By Darren Urban, Tribune

Cardinals linebacker Raynoch Thompson was suspended Tuesday by the NFL for the final four games of the regular season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

“There is a large support system here and in the league,” coach Dave McGinnis said. “I just want the best for Raynoch.

“I was sad when I was informed of this this afternoon.”

Thompson, who had just signed a four-year contract extension Oct. 3, had been arrested for a DUI in 2001 and had made inactive by the team for a game in Dallas that season, a virtual one-game suspension.

Thompson, who will forfeit $291,000 of his salary, is tied for the team lead in sacks with three and is second on the team with 90 tackles.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Someone plant some grass in Blake's car so he'll get suspended too - that seems to be our only hope of seeing Parsons play this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Are we sure it was steroids? I am not.

Because if it's a first time event for, say, Weed, exstacy, or coke, you get a warning and go into the program. Second time, the league hands down a suspension. Third time, and it's four games.

With 'roids, it's immediately four games, like what happened with Frank Garcia, or Julius Peppers last season.

It's good to see that Mac has shepherded this team in such a positive direction during his tenure. We were the 22nd most penalized team in 2002, 12th so far this season (with seemingly many more "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties). This is the third player this year to be caught with illegal substances (if you count the FB). What an ugly pall that is being cast over this season. :mad:

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Ray ... buddy, move your butt up to Paradise Valley, small police force, rural type roads, no major intersections, no DUI checkpoints.

And for gods sake man, TAKE A CAB!

Twohundredandninetyonethousanddollars will buy a lot of cab fare, hell, you could buy your own cab, or hire a full time driver.

And then, don't party the day before a game any more. Ok?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Because if it's a first time event for, say, Weed, exstacy, or coke, you get a warning and go into the program. Second time, the league hands down a suspension. Third time, and it's four games.

With 'roids, it's immediately four games, like what happened with Frank Garcia, or Julius Peppers last season.

It's good to see that Mac has shepherded this team in such a positive direction during his tenure. We were the 22nd most penalized team in 2002, 12th so far this season (with seemingly many more "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties). This is the third player this year to be caught with illegal substances (if you count the FB). What an ugly pall that is being cast over this season. :mad:

I could be wrong but I believe the arrest for the DUI in 2001 actually gets him into the program thus this suspension could be for anything.

He is now one OTC mistake ala Garcia from a one year suspension.

I don't want to compare him to Boston but a nice extension for a guy who was likely in the NFL Substance Abuse program? I don't know.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

:rolleyes:

Dude you shouldn't be THROWING AROUND ACCUSATIONS LIKE THIS!!!

BTW, he was arrested for DUI years ago, and it could very well be an alcohol violation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I could be wrong but I believe the arrest for the DUI in 2001 actually gets him into the program thus this suspension could be for anything.

Actually, I think you have to have a conviction in order to go into the program. If you plead down/out or are acquited, I don't think you go into the program. EDIT: This is like with Michael Pittman. If it was just an incident/arrest, he would have been suspended for the season, but until he's convicted in Tempe, he's active with the league. END EDIT.

The article said that it was a team-mandated suspension for the game, so I'm not sure if that wasn't in-house discipline. Furthermore, because Raynoch was inactive, not suspended, he still collected his paycheck on Monday morning, so it wasn't an NFL suspension.

Just a guess.

Last edited:

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually, I think you have to have a conviction in order to go into the program. If you plead down/out or are acquited, I don't think you go into the program. EDIT: This is like with Michael Pittman. If it was just an incident/arrest, he would have been suspended for the season, but until he's convicted in Tempe, he's active with the league. END EDIT.

The article said that it was a team-mandated suspension for the game, so I'm not sure if that wasn't in-house discipline. Furthermore, because Raynoch was inactive, not suspended, he still collected his paycheck on Monday morning, so it wasn't an NFL suspension.

Just a guess.

No it doesnt matter if you are cleared or not. The NFL decides after your legal procedings are done. And they don't tell anyone. They have said it was alcohol so quit spreading crap saying he is on roids.

DRVNFAST

Homey don't play that!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where Ray is coming from on this one. This team drives me into the bottle too.

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
At least we will se more of Hayes, to see if he has anything to offer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05