Real GM article discusssing what the Pacers wan't for Artest

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Walsh On Artest: "He Said He'd Go Anywhere"
13th December, 2005 - 4:27 am
Newsday - Pacers president Donnie Walsh said he expects to hear from the Knicks when the bidding for Indiana star Ron Artest heats up, but they are by no means the preferred bidder even though Artest said he would like to play for the Knicks in an "ideal world."

Ron changed that statement," Walsh said yesterday in a telephone interview. "He said he'd go anywhere, and I wouldn't feel I had to do that [deal with the Knicks] anyway. I'm going to take the best offer."

As of 5:30 p.m. yesterday, Walsh said he had heard nothing yet from Knicks president Isiah Thomas, but he certainly expects to hear soon from the man who coached Artest for two seasons with the Pacers. "We just started the process, but I'm waiting to hear what they have to say," Walsh said of the Knicks.

Walsh declined to discuss specifics, but when asked if he likely would demand some or all of the Knicks' three first-round rookies as part of any deal, Walsh said, "I'm not in the market for veterans. It has to make sense either for our future or financial sense or both."

Reading between the lines, that means the only way the Pacers would take one of the Knicks' veteran contracts would be if Austin Croshere, who has two years worth $18.5 million left on his contract, were part of the deal. It's virtually certain that Walsh would want rookie forward Channing Frye, the eighth overall pick of the 2005 draft, as part of a deal. He also might expect to pick from among Knicks rookies David Lee and Nate Robinson and second-year player Trevor Ariza.

After supporting Artest through a series of problems, Walsh called his sudden trade request "the last straw" and vowed to accommodate his wish. Walsh said he has no timetable but expects to move quickly.

"I'm in the process of seeing what the market is," Walsh said, "but if I see a deal that will help us, I'll do it."

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevonCardsFan

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Couldn't the Suns use there trade exceeption, some picks and say Raja Bell and make it work??

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Couldn't the Suns use there trade exceeption, some picks and say Raja Bell and make it work??

Well, Raja is a veteran, which Walsh said is out of the question, and you can't combine a trade exception with a player, so no. :)

Brazil

Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:

You can't use the trade exception with others players.

fordronken

Reaction score
Jim Jackson(expiring), Jones, Barbosa and the the Celtics/Lakers pick is as much as I'd give up. But I'd do that trade without question.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's possible that the Pacers are not allowed to re-acquire Jones this year, but it's one of those rules I can never remember the details of.

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
It's possible that the Pacers are not allowed to re-acquire Jones this year, but it's one of those rules I can never remember the details of.

Oh, yeah. Maybe. I thought it had more to do with matching offers for RFAs and waived players.

scotsman13

Reaction score
personally i wouldnt give pat burke for artest. i really believe that he will rip apart whatever team he goes to. this guy is a psycho who not be able to stay out of trouble and on the court. do you really think that he can get along with amare, marion, KT and nash?

OP
OP
DevonCardsFan

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
personally i wouldnt give pat burke for artest. i really believe that he will rip apart whatever team he goes to. this guy is a psycho who not be able to stay out of trouble and on the court. do you really think that he can get along with amare, marion, KT and nash?

Artest is a cool guy and gets unfair bad publicity, Artest just thinks outside of the box, he is not Malevolent. Artest is way overly scrutinized, over the whole Detroit Indy Brawl.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Artest is a cool guy and gets unfair bad publicity, Artest just thinks outside of the box, he is not Malevolent. Artest is way overly scrutinized, ......
Change the above with Charles Manson for Artest and it works, too! :D

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Artest is a cool guy and gets unfair bad publicity, Artest just thinks outside of the box, he is not Malevolent. Artest is way overly scrutinized, over the whole Detroit Indy Brawl.

that is the most nonsense i've seen posted on this board! are you serious???

was this guy a choir boy prior to trying to kill people in detroit?

i remember multiple fights, breaking cameras, an interview with penthouse (JC would LOVE that i'm sure), asking for a month off DURING the season to promote a rap album (not even HIS rap album!), suspensions for malicious hits during a game, bitching about not being a focal point in the pacer offense, IN ADDITION to the greatest meltdown in NBA history.

jibikao

Reaction score
playstation said:

i remember multiple fights, breaking cameras, an interview with penthouse (JC would LOVE that i'm sure), asking for a month off DURING the season to promote a rap album (not even HIS rap album!), suspensions for malicious hits during a game, bitching about not being a focal point in the pacer offense, IN ADDITION to the greatest meltdown in NBA history.

You basically sum it up. Artest is beyond horrible. He may have the skills but personality-wise, he is a CANCER.

What's not good about Pacers? Artest caused that huge incident last year. Pacers could have dealt him already but they want to keep him. And what do Pacers get in return? Artest says he doesn't get treated "nicely" enough. He feels Pacers can do more without him. That's BS. He just doesn't want to play for Pacers.

And screw New York. If I were Walsh I would trade him else where on purpose. Why give what Artest wants? I would trade Artest to West. That Peja deal sounds pretty good now, although I don't want Kings to have Artest. lol

cly2tw

Reaction score
If NY is to offer Frye with Ariza and Penny for Ron and Croshere, I can't see how Walsh can refuse. But I doubt NY or Brown now is so dumb to give up so much asset for him.

For the Suns, I'd do Marion for Ron and Gadzuric somehow, just to prevent Dallas from getting him for van Horn without giving up Howard. That'd be end of Suns' chance to the NBA finals.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
If NY is to offer Frye with Ariza and Penny for Ron and Croshere, I can't see how Walsh can refuse. But I doubt NY or Brown now is so dumb to give up so much asset for him.

So much asset?

Frye is a fine prospect, because he can run the floor well and an accurate shooter but he is not Chris Bosh.
Ariza is long and ahtletic and that's it. He can't shoot, pass, dribble even his defense is very unconsistent. Actually I'm not sure that if he is an asset at all.

So if IND would offer Artest and Croshere for Penny, Ariza and Frye, I can't see how Thomas would refuse.

OP
OP
DevonCardsFan

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
playstation said:

I remember multiple fights, breaking cameras, an interview with penthouse (JC would LOVE that i'm sure), asking for a month off DURING the season to promote a rap album (not even HIS rap album!), suspensions for malicious hits during a game, bitching about not being a focal point in the pacer offense, IN ADDITION to the greatest meltdown in NBA history.

Compare him to Kobe, a guy who had a Rape case in the middle of a season, a guy who caused a break up of a Dynasty, Kobe also has been in several fights in his career and there is plenty of other crap you could bring up about Kobe. But why is it not brought up, because Kobe is a media darling, he never speaks his mind therefore there is no major target for the media. Artest speaks his mind and therefore is crucified and put under allot more scrutiny then other NBA players.

I mean it's everywhere in today’s society the hypocrisy look in the NFL, Ray Lewis is involved in a murder but is a media darling no bad pub. Terrell Owens runs his mouth speaks his mind is a media circus even before all the Philly crap recently. Rush Limbaugh shows the world he is a big fat pill popping Lying Hypocrite, the media does not crucify him. Howard Stern speaks his mind and says how he feels and what he feels regardless the popularity of the opinion, they crucify the guy.

All I have to say is Artest is under a diffrent microscope as compared to other guys in the NBA, the Kobe -Artest comparison, I think sums it up perfectly

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Artest is just about the exact opposite of what the Suns are looking for. He plays one-on-one and holds the ball a lot, he wants to be 'the man', he's a team-chemistry-killer...not worth going after IMO.

Plus, the Suns don't have what the Pacers want, which is young talent plus expiring contracts (the Pacers are snug against the luxury tax and want to dump salary, so that they'll have flexibility next summer). It's hard to put a Suns/Artest deal together without Raja Bell, and there's no way the Pacers want to touch Raja's 5-year contract.

I think the Knicks can get Artest if they want him--Frye plus an expiring contract will do the trick. Less than that, and the Pacers will look elsewhere; they really don't want to help Isiah (or Artest, for that matter).

The second-tier betting favorites are Denver, Dallas, the Clippers and Philadelphia. Dallas would be offering Stackhouse (expiring K) plus young talent (not Devin Harris, so that's the sticking point); Denver has offered Nene plus Voshon Lenard, which doesn't help the Pacers at all this year; The Clippers could offer Maggette straight up, which seems like a bad deal for LA; and I'm not sure what Philly is offering.

I think Golden State has a good shot at Artest if they want him, as well, with Dunleavy or Pietrus and one of their young players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05