Realgm- Matrix on the block

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OMG, that is about as reliable as one of our "possible trade" threads on this site.

Kolo

Reaction score
Instead of "Matrix on the block," your thread should be titled "17 year old Christopher Reina, typing from his Mom's basement and with no sources other than the 19 year old RealGM editor, speculates that Shawn Marion might be traded this offseason because Reina personally thinks it would be a good idea."

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
LOL @ Boozer. Marion for Boozer? PLEASE NO.

Im telling you guys, it's going to be Marion for Dalembert + Korver (or Iggy??)

;)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
LOL @ Boozer. Marion for Boozer? PLEASE NO.

Im telling you guys, it's going to be Marion for Dalembert + Korver (or Iggy??)

;)

Get that thought out of your head, because the SALARIES DON'T MATCH! I don't understand why everyone either a) doesn't understand that or b) thinks Dalembert is worth 10 million a year.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Get that thought out of your head, because the SALARIES DON'T MATCH! I don't understand why everyone either a) doesn't understand that or b) thinks Dalembert is worth 10 million a year.

Dalembert would be a sign and trade...and signed to a contract that makes it work. Dalembert is going to be a stud!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Dalembert would be a sign and trade...and signed to a contract that makes it work. Dalembert is going to be a stud!

Um, yes, which would mean we'd have to sign him to a 10 mil a year contract! You know Marion makes near the max, right?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This article is the idlest of idle speculation. Talk about someone pulling things out of his ass.

Still, I told you all that there would be rumors. They just started sooner than I thought.

fordronken

Reaction score
Aside from the fact that his biggest source on the article was reading our message board, I will say one other thing to discredit these "Marion for Dalembert and filler" talks. Do you guys realize what it would mean to have Marion, Iverson and Webber's contracts on the books at the same time? Those are all fairly albatross-like contracts with no end in sight. That team would be salary screwed.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If there was a sign & trade for Dalembert, it would make much more sence to use Richardsons contract...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BEERZ said:
If there was a sign & trade for Dalembert, it would make much more sence to use Richardsons contract...

it would make more sense but it wouldn't be a fair deal - Richardosn for Dalembert? You'd get laughed out of the room.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
it would make more sense but it wouldn't be a fair deal - Richardosn for Dalembert? You'd get laughed out of the room.

I think he was saying financial sense, not basketball sense.

frankiekazoo

Reaction score
Just my opinion but if there's one guy who could seriously help iverson and his team it's Marion.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
OMG, that is about as reliable as one of our "possible trade" threads on this site.
I thought so, too. This is all speculation the way the article is worded. I wouldn't get too excited by this article. We could get a center or PF in a number of ways besides trading Marion. ;)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
WastedFate said:

Stud like the horse?

Or stud like the piece of wood that holds the wall up?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dalembert wouldn't be a good choice. Too much like Hunter.

If anything Kwame Brown or maybe Tyson Chandler.

Marion would definately be the first to go. Big contract and gets shut down by almost every good defensive team. His playoff performances were always one of the reasons why the Suns lost a series.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
slinslin said:
Dalembert wouldn't be a good choice. Too much like Hunter.

If anything Kwame Brown or maybe Tyson Chandler.

Marion would definately be the first to go. Big contract and gets shut down by almost every good defensive team. His playoff performances were always one of the reasons why the Suns lost a series.

What is this Slin, come back every month or so?? :p

I would really like Chandler on this team, but I don't agree with the Hunter comparison for Dalembert. He almost always produces when in the game, and can rebound the ball A LOT better than Hunter.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
If there was a Marion for Dalembert deal, we would almost certainly have to get Iggy and Mashburn back.

One thing about this article, RealGM boards are littered with Phx trade proposals. Some are actually kind of interesting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shawn Marion for Darius Miles, Ruben Patterson and #3 would be decent in my opinion if we could send Patterson to another team for something.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I have never supported trading Marion and don't believe he is on "The Block"

The only reason I can imagine that might cause the Suns to trade him would be that he's becoming a clubhouse cancer. Or they're afraid he'll hurt chemistry if he stays.

He has grumbled about not getting respect. Maybe he believes he should be a go to guy or maybe he's quietly let the team know that he'd like to be traded to a club where he can be "The Guy"

I don't think this is the case but it's the only plausible explanation I can come up with.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
One thing about this article, RealGM boards are littered with Phx trade proposals. Some are actually kind of interesting.

LOL, the first one I looked at had Sacramento giving up Stojakovic and Skinner to get Marion. That struck me as vaguely familiar.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I agree that this article is pure speculation, but it isn't completely out of the rhelm of possibility.

We all know that BC has been eyeing Dalembert for the past couple of years. A lot of teams have. Athletic big man who is young and can run definately suits this teams' major need.

If I were BC I would pull the trigger if this ever presented itself. My one big concern with trading Marion has always been the fact that we would be losing rebounds and hustle points. However, Dalembert can grab boards, and is only getting better. Couple that with Amare getting better on the glass and above average backcourt rebounders (Q and JJ), I wouldn't anticipate too many problems in getting rebounds.

By obtaining Dalembert + Korver (or whoever), you also gain flexibilty with your pick at #21. Instead of praying that Diogu or Simien fall to us (which is a definate uncertainty right now), you have the ability to draft a swingman like Garcia, Gomes, Hodge, Warrick or Winston (I'm not saying all those guys will be available, but definately some will). You also wouldn't have to rely heavily on a rookie PF to grab boards (very few rookies rebound well- its usually learned over a couple years since guys are more athletic and technique is better.)

Then you can offer a guy like Stromile Swift, Shareef Abur-Rahim, Donyell Marshall, Chris Anderson the MLE.

Of course this would all have to depend on what Dalembert wants contract-wise since we know teams like Atlanta have the money to throw his way. It would also depend on what Philly wants to do since Mo Cheeks is now the head coach. But we do know that Marc Jackson has definately played well for them and they may just let Dalembert walk. If they don't want to let him walk for nothing, then this might be a good option for them.

We'll see what happens draft day, and see what happens with the CBA. But I think most of us agree that Marion would likely be the first one to be traded on this team (whether you want to keep him or not).

Let me make this clear to everyone who will probably say that I am bashing Marion and that I don't appreciate his efforts and performance:
I think Shawn has been a tremendous player for us. He hustles his ass off every night, grabs boards, plays defense and has always done what he has been told. He is a player that everyone would love to have on his squad. But I think his value is at its peak right now, and that contract isnt getting any smaller, and he isn't getting any younger either (especially important considering his speed and leaping ability are his two main assets.)

Dalembert is about to enter his prime, and so are the Suns. We need that inside presence to take it to the next level, and in order to do that we need to give up a player plain and simple. Wing players like Shawn are easier to obtain in the draft than athletic big men that have proven themselves. The Suns have always drafted well, and I think they could find an adequate person to fill some minutes at the position. I'm not saying that we can just go out and get another Top 3 SF, but they are definately easier to find than a guy like Dalembert.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
sigh...

Does anyone take into account salaries? Do you guys realize that in order to do this trade, Dalembert would have to be given a contract that is in excess of 10 million dollars a year? I'm sorry, you don't pay that to someone based on "potential". You guys place more worth on him, he might as well be made of gold. You CANNOT trade Marion for Dalembert and Korver straight up, even. Korver's salary would be meaningless, so it comes to Dalembert for Marion.

The guy is fairly good right now, and has a chance to be great. But is it worth gambling that much money on him? No way. Is he worth as much money as Shawn Marion? If you can answer yes to that question, I think it's time to come back from fantasy land, or at least lay off the ganja.