Redbox owner declares bankruptcy

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t seen anyone renting from one in a couple years honestly always empty. I remember when I used to have to wait in line

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Redbox+ dumpsters for rent? I have seen a few in our area that can be used for debris/construction site clean up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As someone that was heavily invested in physical product, this is a shame--although Redbox was never really in the "physical product" business. It was the next evolution of Blockbuster.

I'm hearing Physical product might be making a comeback, but not in a standard rental/return sense. Looking like they will continue one with the "special editions" of movies, giving incentives for people to buy the actual disc. Streaming is convenient and easy, but it's not as immersive as, say, the Blu Rays for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example. Also keep in mind that even on streaming, your bit rates could be poor -- especially if you don't have a great internet connection, so you're going to see the bits get crunched and quality suffer. You theoretically won't have to worry about that if you are playing a bluray instead.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone that was heavily invested in physical product, this is a shame--although Redbox was never really in the "physical product" business. It was the next evolution of Blockbuster.

I'm hearing Physical product might be making a comeback, but not in a standard rental/return sense. Looking like they will continue one with the "special editions" of movies, giving incentives for people to buy the actual disc. Streaming is convenient and easy, but it's not as immersive as, say, the Blu Rays for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example. Also keep in mind that even on streaming, your bit rates could be poor -- especially if you don't have a great internet connection, so you're going to see the bits get crunched and quality suffer. You theoretically won't have to worry about that if you are playing a bluray instead.
Bitrates are poor, but discs are so expensive these days, it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to keep investing in them.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I walked by yesterday that said is was being decommissioned by 6/29/2024. Obviously, that date had just passed, but that thing looked like it happened been touched on months.