Redskins Sean Taylor dies

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth IMO about the bolded section above is that you are never that far removed.
I look back bad at the things I did (and felt completely justified in doing) and wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Then I remember that I never learned a different way. My friends whom I loved to death, were involved with the same lifestyle were never privledged to know a different life either. To this day, I am still paying out a lot of money every month for accepting phone calls from prison and still cry like a baby at the cemetary over fallen friends every week.

Do I hang out with my boys like I used to? No way. It would be impossible to stay free while doing that. But when they need my help I feel like I would be wrong in not doing so. Does the fact that I haven't abandoned people who loved and respected me during the toughest stages of my life mean that I still live that lifestyle?

Ahh but you can choose to remove yourself from it completely if you really want to. Those that dont including you are asking for trouble.

To many times people that have actually cleaned up their act are killed or in the wrong place for the right reasons and end up getting hurt or killed due to past associations and actions.

You mat not still live that lifestyle. But by hanging or speaking or going and meeting your past friends that do is asking for trouble. Guilty by association is a good term here I guess. It only takes once to be there giving "moral support" to one of your homies and be seen by the wrong person from another gang, another person that you have wronged and you can easily be caught in the crossfire. Leaving your children behind too even though you have changed your life.

Thats the inherant problem. If people truly want to shelter their children they need to isolate themselves from that environment. It may be tough but it CAN be done.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do we really know that he was trying to turn his life around?

I dunno man, but Imma go with Sean turning his life around.. His daughters birth seemed to affect him greatly.. How many people convicted in a gun crime reach for a machetti instead of a gun? I think anyone can turn there life around.. And sometimes it takes one thing to do it.. Most people just keep hearing about the screw up's keep screwing up and when one does turn it around, its hard for everyone to believe..

I believe he turned it around though..

just saying..

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This is just my theory. This was no random act of violence. I wouldn't be surpised if it comes out that Taylor was messing around with another woman/someone's wife.There was obviously a message sent the prior week with the knife being left. My reason for thinking that he was messing was around is where he was shot. I don't think the shooter was trying to kill him,otherwise, why wouldn't he shoot him at the head/chest area like most people would. I think they were trying to send a message by shooting him in the groin area and just happened to pierce the artery. Plus, if it was a robbery, i don't think the girlfriend would have been left alive. Who knows what really happened. It will all come out.But this defnitely wouldn;t surprise me if this was the case. Of course, i could be way off as well :shrug:.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ahh but you can choose to remove yourself from it completely if you really want to. Those that dont including you are asking for trouble.

To many times people that have actually cleaned up their act are killed or in the wrong place for the right reasons and end up getting hurt or killed due to past associations and actions.

You mat not still live that lifestyle. But by hanging or speaking or going and meeting your past friends that do is asking for trouble. Guilty by association is a good term here I guess. It only takes once to be there giving "moral support" to one of your homies and be seen by the wrong person from another gang, another person that you have wronged and you can easily be caught in the crossfire. Leaving your children behind too even though you have changed your life.

Thats the inherant problem. If people truly want to shelter their children they need to isolate themselves from that environment. It may be tough but it CAN be done.
I just said that I dont hang out with them. When my son was born we moved outta down and I haven't been back to see them.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just said that I dont hang out with them. When my son was born we moved outta down and I haven't been back to see them.

But you went on to say this:

"But when they need my help I feel like I would be wrong in not doing so. Does the fact that I haven't abandoned people who loved and respected me during the toughest stages of my life mean that I still live that lifestyle?"

Did you mean you do this over the phone? Sorry very confusing.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of crap happens in South Florida on a daily basis. Taylor happened to live in/ near ( not his precise neighborhood ) one of the most violent areas outside of 3rd world countries. Gang violence and random acts of violence are extremely common. Sean Taylor is a celebrity, so now a whole bunch of people are aware of the South Florida epidemic. Poverty, gang violence, illegal aliens, are all contributing factors. Nothing will change. Really, it wasn't surprising that it happened, just who it happened to.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of crap happens in South Florida on a daily basis. Taylor happened to live in/ near ( not his precise neighborhood ) one of the most violent areas outside of 3rd world countries. Gang violence and random acts of violence are extremely common. Sean Taylor is a celebrity, so now a whole bunch of people are aware of the South Florida epidemic. Poverty, gang violence, illegal aliens, are all contributing factors. Nothing will change. Really, it wasn't surprising that it happened, just who it happened to.

Question: is the neighborhood where this happened nice? Some articles call it an "exclusive Miami suburb".

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: is the neighborhood where this happened nice? Some articles call it an "exclusive Miami suburb".

It is okay. It is not gated or surrounded by a moat. Believe me, there are nearby places which are. It is surrounded by bad. Coral Gables is to the NE. Cutler Ridge ( real bad is to the west and south. It is like the scum from surrounding areas have easy access to a family oriented neighborhood.

http://www.palmettobay-fl.gov/

Sean Taylor is/was one strange dude. Anyone who ever met him came away with that thought. I didn't say bad, just strange.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Excellent essay, IMO.

Taylor's death a grim reminder for us all
Jason Whitlock
FOXSports.com

There's a reason I call them the Black KKK. The pain, the fear and the destruction are all the same.

Someone who loved Sean Taylor is crying right now. The life they knew has been destroyed, an 18-month-old baby lost her father, and, if you're a black man living in America, you've been reminded once again that your life is in constant jeopardy of violent death.

The Black KKK claimed another victim, a high-profile professional football player with a checkered past this time.

No, we don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding Taylor's death. I could very well be proven wrong for engaging in this sort of aggressive speculation. But it's no different than if you saw a fat man fall to the ground clutching his chest. You'd assume a heart attack, and you'd know, no matter the cause, the man needed to lose weight.

Well, when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

When the traditional, white KKK lynched, terrorized and intimidated black folks at a slower rate than its modern-day dark-skinned replacement, at least we had the good sense to be outraged and in no mood to contemplate rationalizations or be fooled by distractions.

Our new millennium strategy is to pray the Black KKK goes away or ignores us. How's that working?

About as well as the attempt to shift attention away from this uniquely African-American crisis by focusing on an alleged injustice the white media allegedly perpetrated against Sean Taylor.

Within hours of his death, there was a story circulating that members of the black press were complaining that news outlets were disrespecting Taylor's victimhood by reporting on his troubled past

No disrespect to Taylor, but he controlled the way he would be remembered by the way he lived. His immature, undisciplined behavior with his employer, his run-ins with law enforcement, which included allegedly threatening a man with a loaded gun, and the fact a vehicle he owned was once sprayed with bullets are all pertinent details when you've been murdered.

Marcellus Wiley, a former NFL player, made the radio circuit Wednesday, singing the tune that athletes are targets. That was his explanation for the murders of Taylor and Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams and the armed robberies of NBA players Antoine Walker and Eddy Curry.

Really?

Let's cut through the bull(manure) and deal with reality. Black men are targets of black men. Period. Go check the coroner's office and talk with a police detective. These bullets aren't checking W-2s.

Rather than whine about white folks' insensitivity or reserve a special place of sorrow for rich athletes, we'd be better served mustering the kind of outrage and courage it took in the 1950s and 1960s to stop the white KKK from hanging black men from trees.

But we don't want to deal with ourselves. We take great joy in prescribing medicine to cure the hate in other people's hearts. Meanwhile, our self-hatred, on full display for the world to see, remains untreated, undiagnosed and unrepentant.

Our self-hatred has been set to music and reinforced by a pervasive culture that promotes a crab-in-barrel mentality.

You're damn straight I blame hip hop for playing a role in the genocide of American black men. When your leading causes of death and dysfunction are murder, ignorance and incarceration, there's no reason to give a free pass to a culture that celebrates murder, ignorance and incarceration.

Of course there are other catalysts, but until we recapture the minds of black youth, convince them that it's not OK to "super man dat ho" and end any and every dispute by "cocking on your bitch," nothing will change.

Does a Soulja Boy want an education?

HBO did a fascinating documentary on Little Rock Central High School, the Arkansas school that required the National Guard so that nine black kids could attend in the 1950s. Fifty years later, the school is one of the nation's best in terms of funding and educational opportunities. It's 60 percent black and located in a poor black community.

Watch the documentary and ask yourself why nine poor kids in the '50s risked their lives to get a good education and a thousand poor black kids today ignore the opportunity that is served to them on a platter.

Blame drugs, blame Ronald Reagan, blame George Bush, blame it on the rain or whatever. There's only one group of people who can change the rotten, anti-education, pro-violence culture our kids have adopted. We have to do it.

According to reports, Sean Taylor had difficulty breaking free from the unsavory characters he associated with during his youth.

The "keepin' it real" mantra of hip hop is in direct defiance to evolution. There's always someone ready to tell you you're selling out if you move away from the immature and dangerous activities you used to do, you're selling out if you speak proper English, embrace education, dress like a grown man, do anything mainstream.

The Black KKK is enforcing the same crippling standards as its parent organization. It wants to keep black men in their place — uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.

In all likelihood, the Black Klan and its mentality buried Sean Taylor, and any black man or boy reading this could be next.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didnt read that for one reason.. Jason Whitlock wrote it.. I was on my way home work one day listening to the radio and he admitted he stole his schtick as he calls it from some old dude who used to be a writer.. He said he uses it for shock value.. Now, like I said I didnt read this article and this one could be heart felt article, but I did see Black KKK in there so I dont think so.. Whatever.. This dude only writes about black folks in a negative light and because he is black its ok.. Moron...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I didnt read that for one reason.. Jason Whitlock wrote it.. I was on my way home work one day listening to the radio and he admitted he stole his schtick as he calls it from some old dude who used to be a writer.. He said he uses it for shock value.. Now, like I said I didnt read this article and this one could be heart felt article, but I did see Black KKK in there so I dont think so.. Whatever.. This dude only writes about black folks in a negative light and because he is black its ok.. Moron...

This article reads like something MLK would have written. Evaluate, take responsibility, and not blame others.

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score

Wow. I just heard him on a interview with Jim Rome. Moron? I don't think so; he offered a very thoughtful reason for his KKK analogy.

Even couched in consideration of the hardships of poverty; his message is worthy of being embraced.

Shocking statistic of the interview: 90% of the time when a young black man is shot, it is by a young black man...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. I just heard him on a interview with Jim Rome. Moron? I don't think so; he offered a very thoughtful reason for his KKK analogy.

Even couched in consideration of the hardships of poverty; his message is worthy of being embraced.

Shocking statistic of the interview: 90% of the time when a young black man is shot, it is by a young black man...
Why is that shocking??? I would have thought it to be higher. To some extent it goes both ways though. Whites are typically murdered by whites as well.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Why is that shocking??? I would have thought it to be higher. To some extent it goes both ways though. Whites are typically murdered by whites as well.

It seems shocking to me; maybe it is just that Sean Taylor now is another data point in a statistic that says this biggest danger members of this peer group face are each other.

I don't know what the stats are for white on white gun-related homicides, but I would wager it is much less than 90%. I would also bet that the number of these types of homicides are much higher, per capita, among young black men than any other group.

I think these are the thrusts of Whitlock's argument; and his reason for using Sean Taylor as a way to focus attention on a problem that is much bigger than one famous individual.

The fact it is not shocking to you speaks to his statement:
Whitlock said:
when shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger. That's not some negative, unfair stereotype. It's a reality we've been living with, tolerating and rationalizing for far too long.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems shocking to me; maybe it is just that Sean Taylor now is another data point in a statistic that says this biggest danger members of this peer group face are each other.

I don't know what the stats are for white on white gun-related homicides, but I would wager it is much less than 90%. I would also bet that the number of these types of homicides are much higher, per capita, among young black men than any other group.

I think these are the thrusts of Whitlock's argument; and his reason for using Sean Taylor as a way to focus attention on a problem that is much bigger than one famous individual.

The fact it is not shocking to you speaks to his statement:
I just dont get why this is even worth writing. If there is anyone in this country who isn't aware of the unbelievable amount of violence in the black community then I am sure they have much bigger issues that need to be addressed.

The reason that nothing is getting better is quite simple. Our country and the what it is founded upon will lead us to eventual implosion.

First, we have very liberal lawmaking as far as criminal rights. If the law said that anyone caught with a gun that they were not legally entitled to be using or possess) would face a mandatory life sentence, violence would go down, but attorneys would argue that it is prohibited under the 8th ammendment.

Secondly, the black community is getting worse and worse by the day, not better. Abortions in this area have been down lately. In 15 years, many of these children who escaped an abortion but couldn't escape being born into a dysfunctional family will reap havoc on the area. Jobs are down because (in my area anyhow) the illegals will do everything half price while the legal immagrants are content doing everything well under standard costs, thus bringing everyone else's pay down. A black guy who was making 15/h three years ago is making 10 now. Its not a surprise he is selling crack in the mornings before work. The illegals will go nowhere because the democrats dont want to turn anyone away and the republicans gain much of their funding from the large corporations who benefit the most from the illegals and their cheap prices. On top of this, the government loves to help people make a profit off of this all. Its not a coincidence that Baltimore has the most liquor stores per square mile than any other city in the country and leads the way as far as murder and AIDS goes.

If I were black I would move to Wisconsin

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? If it were to get away from the black on black violence then dont move to Milwaukee.
Oops, I am a culprit of ignorance. What else can I say? I didn't think anyone really lived up there besides WisconsinCard and his family. How bout Salt Lake City? Wait a minute, I heard on here the other day there are drinking clubs there now. Uhh, Wyoming????

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Oops, I am a culprit of ignorance. What else can I say? I didn't think anyone really lived up there besides WisconsinCard and his family. How bout Salt Lake City? Wait a minute, I heard on here the other day there are drinking clubs there now. Uhh, Wyoming????

I hear Ted Kaczynski's place in Montana is pretty cheap and isolated.