Redskins Sean Taylor dies

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
my feelings on it

it really is just sad, I'm rather bummed about the whole thing. Something about it just isn't right. And I'll say this right now, God bless Sean Taylor.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can only judge a man on his prior actions. What do you "know" about Taylor?

I can judge a man based on the word of others as well. People who actually know him.

If you had legal problems a couple of years ago, and then you had a kid and people who knew you said "wow, Rivercard sure is getting his life together. He's maturing...his family is so very important to him" I'd tend to believe your friends and family. If you got shot I'd think "damn, and he was trying to improve himself but his past wouldn't let him go. So sad."

And I don't know you.

Hell, how much do we even "know" about the people we "know?"

How often have we heard a variant of "He was always so kind and sweet...I had no idea he had 47 bodies in his basement and he lived off of their flesh."

We don't "know" anything.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
That sucks RIP Sean Taylor

Really wanted the cards to draft this guy and thought he was potentially headed to the hall of fame. He might have been the best hitter in the NFC with better coverage skills then most. Prayers go out to the Taylor family.

One other quick question.
When he spit on Pittman wasn't he calling him a wife beater ?? Then Pittman said something back about his family and then Taylor spit on him. Does anyone have the article I tried to google it ??

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I can judge a man based on the word of others as well. People who actually know him.

If you had legal problems a couple of years ago, and then you had a kid and people who knew you said "wow, Rivercard sure is getting his life together. He's maturing...his family is so very important to him" I'd tend to believe your friends and family. If you got shot I'd think "damn, and he was trying to improve himself but his past wouldn't let him go. So sad."

And I don't know you.

Hell, how much do we even "know" about the people we "know?"

How often have we heard a variant of "He was always so kind and sweet...I had no idea he had 47 bodies in his basement and he lived off of their flesh."

We don't "know" anything.

Well said.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares if Wilbon is right or wrong about ST. The bottom line is that only a wh--e would write like that about someone who just died. Its not like ST is gonna read it and feel bad. His family and loved ones will and just feel worse.

Men dont talk about other men when they aren't around to defend themselves. I have lost any and all respect I had for Wilbon and will never buy the Post or watch PTI again

I guess we shouldn't talk about Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King because they aren't here to defend themselves?

I don't care if people are dead or alive. You should be able to talk about everything that they have done, good or bad. If ST's lifestyle contributed to his death, you should be able to talk about that.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you agree with Wilbon? He said he refused to divorce himself from that lifestyle when other sources, actually in the know, said very differently that he was changing his life for the better, growing up and being a man and it all started when his daughter was born.

Wilbon is a classless fool and owes and apology to ST's family.

No he doesn't. This is what was said in that article BTW:

Taylor's cousin, Florida State safety Anthony Leon, said Taylor has been trying to shed some trouble-making friends he grew up with in his hometown of Florida City.

"He's been trying to stay away from bad company - especially for his daughter's sake," Leon told the Miami Herald. "Sean wasn't a bad guy at all. He's got his personality on the football field and off it. All he was trying to do was protect his family. And (someone) shot him."

That is hardly a glaring endorsement of what you say above. Thats a close family member. What exactly do you expect him to say? Hes going to do anything he can to make his cousin look good. Could be true could be a bold faced lie. many peopel appear to change but truly havent and still keep bad company. We may never know. But Wilbon owes nobody an apology for his comments.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubtful. Seriously.

I'll take the word of multiple teammates, cousins and coaches who saw him outside the football element and watched him maturing, and said he had been shedding the bad elements in his life over a opinion columnist who happens to live in DC (ETA: and is NOT a beat reporter). But you also know how much stock I put in the media in the first place.

And in the media, being the only one NOT talking about something that would be public knowledge if you knew about it would generally mean you don't really know anything. Because if it were known, everyone would be all over it.
Most of those teamates and definitely coaches I would be willing to bet had very little to do with Taylor outside of football. So there word is pretty worthless.

freebyrd

Reaction score
this has got thug hit written all over it, too bad i little girls gonna grow up without her father now

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of those teamates and definitely coaches I would be willing to bet had very little to do with Taylor outside of football. So there word is pretty worthless.

They didn't even know he was in Miami, or why, apparently.

Very, very sad incident. Whatever, Taylor did, he didn't deserve that. Nor, did his little girl.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn't even know he was in Miami, or why, apparently.

Very, very sad incident. Whatever, Taylor did, he didn't deserve that. Nor, did his little girl.

Yup. No doubt it is VERY sad.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he doesn't. This is what was said in that article BTW:

Taylor's cousin, Florida State safety Anthony Leon, said Taylor has been trying to shed some trouble-making friends he grew up with in his hometown of Florida City.

"He's been trying to stay away from bad company - especially for his daughter's sake," Leon told the Miami Herald. "Sean wasn't a bad guy at all. He's got his personality on the football field and off it. All he was trying to do was protect his family. And (someone) shot him."

That is hardly a glaring endorsement of what you say above. Thats a close family member. What exactly do you expect him to say? Hes going to do anything he can to make his cousin look good. Could be true could be a bold faced lie. many peopel appear to change but truly havent and still keep bad company. We may never know. But Wilbon owes nobody an apology for his comments.

Yes, he does.

And that was one of MANY comments from people who actually KNEW the guy and saw him living his life. In whatever article you got that from I am willing to bet Gibbs, Portis and other teammates are quoted about him maturing as a man and linking it directly to him becoming a father.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LOL, but Wilbon's who doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Taylor inside or outside of football, who basically says this is how he FEELS about him....his word is not worthless?

Precious.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares if Wilbon is right or wrong about ST. The bottom line is that only a wh--e would write like that about someone who just died. Its not like ST is gonna read it and feel bad. His family and loved ones will and just feel worse.

Men dont talk about other men when they aren't around to defend themselves. I have lost any and all respect I had for Wilbon and will never buy the Post or watch PTI again
fwiw, I believe Wilbon wrote that before ST died. Not sure if that makes it ANY better in your eyes.

I'm a firm believer in letting the deceased keep whatever dignity they can, so I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject. He's gone, a little girl is without her father (who apparently adored her), and a family lost a man they loved. It's just sad to me, and I won't go pointing fingers. Not saying that makes me any better or right, just voicing my opinion as we all do here.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fwiw, I believe Wilbon wrote that before ST died. Not sure if that makes it ANY better in your eyes.

I'm a firm believer in letting the deceased keep whatever dignity they can, so I don't have a whole lot to say on the subject. He's gone, a little girl is without her father (who apparently adored her), and a family lost a man they loved. It's just sad to me, and I won't go pointing fingers. Not saying that makes me any better or right, just voicing my opinion as we all do here.
In that case I rescind my earlier statement.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wow can't believe he died yesterday they sounded like Taylor was going to recover on espn :(. Such a sad thing he had a great carrer ahead of him rip Taylor and best of wishes to his family and the redskins.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, but Wilbon's who doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Taylor inside or outside of football, who basically says this is how he FEELS about him....his word is not worthless?

Precious.

I made it very clear that none of us know including Wilbon. He owes nobody an apology if thats how he feels.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It's pretty amazing and sad. RIP Mr. Taylor.

I don't understand why moving away from that environment wasn't more of a priority.

Also, this is a general question based on what was reported(speculated?) by ESPN, if someone get's shot in the groin isn't that, especially in this context where "messages" were being left, indicitive of something specific? I'm not saying Taylor did or didn't do something or if he was even shot in the groin. But, if a person has their tongue cut out that means they were a snitch. I wonder if they were trying to be cute and leave another symbolic calling card?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is an absolute tragedy, but unfortunately no different than anything else that happens all across this country everyday. I really hope one day all of this crap just comes to an end. God Bless ST, his friends and family.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane dont take this the wrong way, but being a cop you are simply biased. You see bums every day and tend to have that mentality.

I can say from personal experience that people can and do change when they have children.

I grew up in a bizarre childhood and had been arrested over 30Xs by the age of 20 for charges ranging from possession w/ intent to distribute to attempted murder. I did a decent part of my young life behind bars.

Later that year I was blessed with the greatest gift in the world in my son. I grew up without a father at home and always told myself that I would never have my children grow up that way. I have been in zero trouble since then and know that I never will be again. However, if I were gunned down tonight, people like you who know nothing about me would instantly look at my past and assume that was continuing to live that lifestyle and was the cause of my own demise.

For the record I really believe that the man changed his life.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane dont take this the wrong way, but being a cop you are simply biased. You see bums every day and tend to have that mentality.

I can say from personal experience that people can and do change when they have children.

I grew up in a bizarre childhood and had been arrested over 30Xs by the age of 20 for charges ranging from possession w/ intent to distribute to attempted murder. I did a decent part of my young life behind bars.

Later that year I was blessed with the greatest gift in the world in my son. I grew up without a father at home and always told myself that I would never have my children grow up that way. I have been in zero trouble since then and know that I never will be again. However, if I were gunned down tonight, people like you who know nothing about me would instantly look at my past and assume that was continuing to live that lifestyle and was the cause of my own demise.

Oh I fully admit I am jaded especially after 11 years in police work. I know people can change their lives and have seen it and participated in it.

However the %'s such as you are VERY low from my experience. There are tons of "thugs" who say they are changing and act like they are changing but truly never change.

As far as Taylor goes the only one who truly knows the truth is Taylor himself. He wasnt far enough removed form the trouble for the skepticism to be gone.

Congrats to you for changing and staying the course! :thumbup:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Cardfan I don't know you personally but you're one of the people I hope to run into in the Northeast next year at a Cardinals game. On a much smaller scale than the ST thing I can see some changes in you from your posts. You used to be full of piss and vinegar, now it's just the occassional vinegar. I guess 14 bans will do that to a person! J/K!

Anyways it may be the wrong way to say what I want to say, but I agree with your post people can change. I didn't like ST when he first came into the league but always liked his play. Now I am hearing how he changed and I don't believe it's the usual lip-service. I believe it's sincere and true which makes this all the more tragic. I have an 18 month old son and it saddens me to think this girl who is the same age as my son will never know her father. I feel for everyone involved and believe ST was a good man mixed up with some bad people.

On a lighter note from the football side of things ST paired with Landry would have been the premire safety tandem in the NFL for years to come. Quite possibly one of the best tandems we have ever seen. Those two would have raised havoc back there. From a football standpoint is also very sad to think that us football fans are now robbed from witnessing something very special that Landry/ST would have brought to the game.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I fully admit I am jaded especially after 11 years in police work. I know people can change their lives and have seen it and participated in it.

However the %'s such as you are VERY low from my experience. There are tons of "thugs" who say they are changing and act like they are changing but truly never change.

As far as Taylor goes the only one who truly knows the truth is Taylor himself. He wasnt far enough removed form the trouble for the skepticism to be gone.

Congrats to you for changing and staying the course! :thumbup:
The truth IMO about the bolded section above is that you are never that far removed.

I look back bad at the things I did (and felt completely justified in doing) and wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Then I remember that I never learned a different way. My friends whom I loved to death, were involved with the same lifestyle were never privledged to know a different life either. To this day, I am still paying out a lot of money every month for accepting phone calls from prison and still cry like a baby at the cemetary over fallen friends every week.

Do I hang out with my boys like I used to? No way. It would be impossible to stay free while doing that. But when they need my help I feel like I would be wrong in not doing so. Does the fact that I haven't abandoned people who loved and respected me during the toughest stages of my life mean that I still live that lifestyle?