Redskins Sean Taylor dies

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't even begin to imagine the psychological trauma his girlfriend is going to have to work through.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is so sad. I know last night there was 100 person prayer vigil for him outside of Skins park.

Wilbon is an ass for writing that. Sometimes you gotta just shut your hole.

Reguardless of what he did in his past, he is thought to have really changed his life and I hope he can be remembered for the good things he did as a man and not the mistakes he made as a boy.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Washington Redskins fans take part in a candlelight vigil for Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor in Ashburn, Virginia, 26 November 2007. Taylor died after being shot by intruders at his home in Miami, the National Football League club has confirmed.
(AFP/Getty Images/Win McNamee)

You must be registered for see images

Eddy Anaya of Sterling, Va.. kneels at the parking spot of Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor at Redskins Park on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2007 in Ashburn, Va. Taylor died early Tuesday Nov. 27, 2007 at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, a day after he was shot at home in Palmetto Bay, Fla., by what police say was an intruder. He was 24.
(AP Photo/Kevin Wolf)

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i was listening to something last night and they mentioned his house had been broken into a week ago and the intruders had a left a machete on his bed. very strange story...

No. He had a machete of his own since his probation from the assault and battery charges he agreed to, on the scumbags who stole his ATvs, would not allow him to have a firearm. I would not be shocked to find out this was retaliation from the scum gang members he beat on a few years ago.

Someone left a kitchen knife on his Mom's bed. Could have been a clue as to what was coming.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Wikipedia reports that during the second robbery attempt, the phone lines were cut. The girlfriend had to use her cell phone to call 911.

This is sounding like a game of Clue.

It sounds more like a game of "Wannabe Professional Killers Like in the Movies" to me.

If the report about the wire-cutting is true, I'm betting on a scenario where somebody with a grudge planned this attack, and were smart enough to cut the lines before entering, and smart enough to case the place last week so they'd know their way around the house, but dumb enough to leave signs of their presence/think it was cool to leave a knife as a warning, and dumb enough to shoot the target once in the leg before panicking and running off.

I really feel bad for his family.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad story. I agree with Wilbon though. I'm not surprised, and I won't be surprised when Pac Man Jones goes to prison either.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad story. I agree with Wilbon though. I'm not surprised, and I won't be surprised when Pac Man Jones goes to prison either.

How do you agree with Wilbon? He said he refused to divorce himself from that lifestyle when other sources, actually in the know, said very differently that he was changing his life for the better, growing up and being a man and it all started when his daughter was born.

Wilbon is a classless fool and owes and apology to ST's family.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you agree with Wilbon? He said he refused to divorce himself from that lifestyle when other sources, actually in the know, said very differently that he was changing his life for the better, growing up and being a man and it all started when his daughter was born.

Wilbon is a classless fool and owes and apology to ST's family.

His premise is dead on (pardon the pun). If you dance with wolves don't be surprised when you get bitten. Though it seems Taylor was taking steps to change.

I agree with Wilbon too. What he said was the truth, even if the timing of it was in poor taste. Hopefully he was trying to turn around his life. Sometimes, the things that you do can catch up with you years later.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whats interesting tidbit here is, does anybody watch the show the First 48 on and A&E, they have the Dade County Homicide Detectives on that show all the time, I'm pretty sure the guys from that show, will be handling the case.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When things like this happen it seems the departed was always tring to do all the right things to get their life in order, which ST may have been, but when you get tangled in the type of stuff he was involved in things come back to get you. Wilbon was dead on, and I really don't have a problem with the timing because it is his job to report the news and give his opinion. He said it was sad but not suprising. Agreed.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His premise is dead on (pardon the pun). If you dance with wolves don't be surprised when you get bitten. Though it seems Taylor was taking steps to change.

His premise also based on the incorrect assumption that Taylor wasn't trying to get out of that atmosphere and even said that he "refused to divorce himself from it." That's borderline libel. Not to mention tasteless.

I just can't agree with him. People come from bad backgrounds all the time and turn around their lives...looks like that was what ST was trying to do. Wrong time to call him out on it and he should probably get his facts straight before going there.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
His premise also based on the incorrect assumption that Taylor wasn't trying to get out of that atmosphere and even said that he "refused to divorce himself from it." That's borderline libel. Not to mention tasteless.

I just can't agree with him. People come from bad backgrounds all the time and turn around their lives...looks like that was what ST was trying to do. Wrong time to call him out on it and he should probably get his facts straight before going there.

Well, I see what you're saying. But if you steal, thug on people, or generally make enemies, payback won't always be forgiven when you try to turn your life around. Why do you think gangs attack ex-members who try to leave? Wilbon's timing may be questioned, but he is right in principal.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I see what you're saying. But if you steal, thug on people, or generally make enemies, payback won't always be forgiven when you try to turn your life around. Why do you think gangs attack ex-members who try to leave? Wilbon's timing may be questioned, but he is right in principal.

I have no problem with what he's saying overall, but he's an ***** for saying that ST "refused" to divorce himself from the situation. I think it would be a great story to cover EXACTLY what you say above...how hard it is to get out even if you want to others may not want you to.

Wilbon needed to do a little bit of research into the matter instead of lying and saying ST "refused to divorce himself" from the violent world. It makes Taylor look like a stubborn, stupid idiot when instead it appears more like he was trying to be a man, grow up and be a father...which makes the situation more tragic instead of "stupid dumb athlete so stubborn he can't leave the hood behind."

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How do we really know that he was trying to turn his life around? We've heard a million times that Luis Sharpe is turning his life around as well. When someone like ST dies people always say that they were trying to be a man, grow up and be a father, but we really don't know the scope of what he was involved in or what he was currently involved in. All I know is that he has been in some loco situations and the latest was a few days ago.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with what he's saying overall, but he's an ***** for saying that ST "refused" to divorce himself from the situation. I think it would be a great story to cover EXACTLY what you say above...how hard it is to get out even if you want to others may not want you to.

Wilbon needed to do a little bit of research into the matter instead of lying and saying ST "refused to divorce himself" from the violent world. It makes Taylor look like a stubborn, stupid idiot when instead it appears more like he was trying to be a man, grow up and be a father...which makes the situation more tragic instead of "stupid dumb athlete so stubborn he can't leave the hood behind."

I am not defending Wilbon, but maybe being a DC journalist and around the team, he has insight about ST NOT divorcing himself from that lifestyle and is the only one talking about it. Just a thought.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not defending Wilbon, but maybe being a DC journalist and around the team, he has insight about ST NOT divorcing himself from that lifestyle and is the only one talking about it. Just a thought.

Doubtful. Seriously.

I'll take the word of multiple teammates, cousins and coaches who saw him outside the football element and watched him maturing, and said he had been shedding the bad elements in his life over a opinion columnist who happens to live in DC (ETA: and is NOT a beat reporter). But you also know how much stock I put in the media in the first place.

And in the media, being the only one NOT talking about something that would be public knowledge if you knew about it would generally mean you don't really know anything. Because if it were known, everyone would be all over it.

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I have no problem with what he's saying overall, but he's an ***** for saying that ST "refused" to divorce himself from the situation.

We have no idea what Taylor was up to in recent times. He's been out of police blotters for a few months at least so that's a good sign. All we can judge him on is what we know of him. Wibon could be accurate - or maybe not. There are conflicting reports.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who cares if Wilbon is right or wrong about ST. The bottom line is that only a wh--e would write like that about someone who just died. Its not like ST is gonna read it and feel bad. His family and loved ones will and just feel worse.

Men dont talk about other men when they aren't around to defend themselves. I have lost any and all respect I had for Wilbon and will never buy the Post or watch PTI again

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilbon also seems to almost relish the "opportunity" to speak out when a young athlete seems to have self control issues, especially if they're black. Remember Wilbon was just about the only ESPN guy to speak out with regards to OJ Mayo when he had the ref bumping incident followed with the marijuana arrest. Wilbon came right out and said this stuff really annoys me especially when the guy is black because it reinforces stereotypes people have.

So he may take the same approach with Taylor or he may just have some info that's not common knowledge as someone else said.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilbon also seems to almost relish the "opportunity" to speak out when a young athlete seems to have self control issues, especially if they're black. Remember Wilbon was just about the only ESPN guy to speak out with regards to OJ Mayo when he had the ref bumping incident followed with the marijuana arrest. Wilbon came right out and said this stuff really annoys me especially when the guy is black because it reinforces stereotypes people have.

So he may take the same approach with Taylor or he may just have some info that's not common knowledge as someone else said.

ST did not talk to reporters and he did not trust the media, by all accounts. Wilbon had no special relationship with him or any of the Redskins really. The very first part of his comment "I know how I feel about Taylor" says quite enough for me.

The combo of ST's thuggish past and his freezing out of the media probably is the driver behind Wilbon's commments. But clearly, Wilbon is talking about what he "feels" about Taylor and not what he "knows."

If I could stomach PTI, it would be an interesting watch today to see if he goes "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" on air.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, for those of you that didn't follow the link that I provided.

Sean Taylor had been trying to transform his life

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot
© November 27, 2007 | Last updated 6:20 AM Nov. 27

The public didn't know it and the media was shielded from it, but in the past 18 months, Sean Taylor had tried to transform his life.

Now he's clinging to it.

Taylor, the Washington Redskins' 24-year-old star safety, remained in critical condition Monday night after he was shot during an apparent early-morning robbery attempt at his home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay, Fla.

"The tragic way this took place just takes your breath away," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said Monday. "I don't know about all of the medical; I just know that it's extremely serious."

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and several members of the organization flew to Miami to keep vigil with the Taylor family, with Snyder offering "our hearts and prayers to Sean and family."

The shooting is the most shocking in a string of incidents involving the Pro Bowl defensive back since he was the fifth overall draft pick in 2004.

Some were minor - such as skipping out on the NFL's rookie symposium, for which he was fined $25,000. There was also a $17,000 fine for spitting at Tampa Bay's Michael Pittman during a playoff game two years ago.

The most serious incident occurred in June 2005, when he was arrested and charged with felony assault after authorities said he pointed a gun at three men outside a house in West Perrine, a rough neighborhood south of Miami, and accused them of stealing two all-terrain vehicles from him.

Prosecutors negotiated a plea deal with Taylor and agreed to drop the felony assault charges. He was sentenced to 18 months of probation in return and pledged to donate time and money to various charities and schools in south Florida.

Taylor took major strides in 2006, according to Gibbs and several teammates. He was named the Redskins' Defensive Player of the Year, an award that seemed to touch his sense of pride.

"I talked to Coach Gibbs (the night of the awards banquet), and I'm like, 'That guy has matured up. He's doing all the right things; he's a great person,'" offensive tackle Chris Samuels said Monday. "And coach Gibbs agreed.

"And a few weeks ago I was talking to coach Gibbs about how Sean has matured. I thought he was a great guy off the field and he's really a team guy. Everyone knows he's a great player, but Sean, you don't see him out. He's a home guy. He's doing all the right things."

Taylor also played in the Pro Bowl, after which Redskins assistant head coach/defense Gregg Williams noticed a huge change in Taylor's demeanor and maturity level. Williams said Taylor told him that having spent a week with the game's elite players in Hawaii motivated him to want to remain in their company.

In keeping with his guarded persona, Taylor denied that the Pro Bowl was anything special during one of his rare interviews last summer.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said at the time. "It's almost like you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this; I could have done that.'

"So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder - whatever I can do to better myself."

This season, despite missing the past two games, Taylor was one of the NFC's interception leaders with five and is considered the team's best player.

But the biggest change in Taylor was caused by the birth of his daughter, Jackie, in May 2006.

"Everyone in this building knows the change Sean has endured in the last few years and the man that he became," running back Clinton Portis said. "It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight, but ever since he had this child it was like a new Sean and everyone around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."

Gibbs said Taylor would cradle the baby in his arms as he carried her into Redskin Park and "you just knew how much that baby meant to him. I could see (that) maturing process (that happens) when you get a first child."

Taylor wasn't with the team Sunday because he suffered a knee injury Nov. 11 against Philadelphia. But he had been diligent in taking treatment and rehabilitation and was at Redskin Park on Saturday before the rest of the team left for Tampa. Gibbs said he didn't know why Taylor then traveled to Miami.

Taylor's cousin, Florida State safety Anthony Leon, said Taylor has been trying to shed some trouble-making friends he grew up with in his hometown of Florida City.

"He's been trying to stay away from bad company - especially for his daughter's sake," Leon told the Miami Herald. "Sean wasn't a bad guy at all. He's got his personality on the football field and off it. All he was trying to do was protect his family. And (someone) shot him."

Jim Ducibella, (757) 446-2364,

or [email protected]