Remaining Free Agents

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It appears as if the Cardinals will first re-sign WR Sean Morey, S Matt Ware, DEs Rodney Bailey and Joe Tafoya...to maintain continuity. Morey is very much needed on special teams, as are Tafoya and Ware (and his signing would likely mean that the Cards may not add a safety in the draft, seeing as they would have 4 under contract: Wilson, Rolle, Francisco and Ware...with possibly Oliver Celestin added for competition). Rodney Bailey is an important signing in that currently there are no backups to starting 3-4 DEs Darnell Dockett and Antonio Smith.

All indications are that the Cardinals will try to re-sign Tim Hasselbeck as the #3 QB...and perhaps add another young QB late in the draft or as an UCFA. Other QB's looking for jobs include: Brian St. Pierre (6-3, 230, 5) PIT; Kelly Holcomb (6-2, 212, 11) MIN; and Gus Frerotte (6-3, 237, 14) STL.

It would also seem likely that the Cardinals will try to re-sign WR Jerheme Urban, in that they were happy with the progress he made in the system last year...and now that BJ is a 49er, the #3 WR spot is up for grabs. Other notable WR's looking for jobs are: Tim Carter (6-0, 189, 6) CLE; Samie Parker (5-11, 190, 4) KC; David Givens (6-0, 215, 6) HOU; Darrell Jackson (5-11, 206, 8) SF; and Eric Moulds (6-2, 193, 12) TEN.

Depending on what cap money is left in the kitty, the Cards could make a run at a couple of the remaining free agents. Here are some of the players who could make a good deal of sense, if they can be had at a reasonable salary:

Offensive Linemen

Floyd Womack (6-4, 323, 7) SEA
Shane Olivea (6-4, 312, 4) SD
Kyle Turley (6-5, 306, 9) KC
Chris Naeole (6-3, 330, 11) JAX
Larry Allen (6-3, 325, 14) SF
Ruben Brown (6-3, 304, 13) CHI
Jason Fabini (6-7, 309, 10) WASH
Barry Sims (6-5, 300, 9) OAK
John Welbourn (6-5, 310, 9) KC

Comment: The Cardinals will likely add an offensive tackle and/or guard in the draft, which makes the prospect of signing any of these players prior to the draft moot. Although, adding an inside mauler like Larry Allen or a Ruben Brown to the lineup, even at their age, could make things very interesting.

Running Backs

Musa Smith (6-0, 232, 5) BAL
Tyson Thompson (6-1, 220, 3) DAL
Verron Haynes (5-10, 222, 6) PIT
Kevin Jones (5-11, 228, 4) DET

Comment: Musa Smith has battled injuries, but he's a big back who generates a real burst in the hole. Tyson Thompson is a speed back who always looked good in pre-season games.

Defensive Linemen

Darwin Walker (6-3, 294, 8) CHI
James Reed (6-0, 286, 7) KC
Mike Rucker (6-5, 270, 9) CAR
Larry Triplett (6-2, 293, 6) BUF
Antonio Garay (6-4, 303, 3) CHI
James Hall (6-2, 280, 8) STL
Darrion Scott (6-3, 289, 4) MIN
Nick Eason (6-3, 305, 5) PIT

Comment: Darrion Scott may command a starter's salary, and has real upside. Could fit well as a 3-4 DE. Larry Triplett is an intriguing option here, with his interior quickness.

Linebackers

Takeo Spikes (6-2, 240, 10) PHI
Clark Haggans (6-4, 243, 8) PIT
Rosevelt Colvin (6-3, 254, 9) NE
Robert Reynolds (6-3, 247, 4) TEN
Donnie Spragan (6-3, 242, 7) MIA
Ian Gold (6-0, 223, 8) DEN
Victor Hobson (6-0, 252, 5) NYJ

Comment: This list is impressive, talent and experience-wise. Imagine what adding Rosevelt Colvin could do for the Cards' defense? He won't come cheap. One player here worth a good look is Robert Reynolds, who was the backup SLB in Tennessee and a very good situational player in the nickel there. Plus, he's the youngest player on this list.

Cornerbacks

Andre Dyson (5-10, 183, 7) NYJ
Hank Poteat (5-10, 195, 7) NYJ
B.J. Sams (5-10, 184, 4) BAL
Ty Law (5-11, 200, 13) KC

Comment: Dyson and Law won't come cheaply unless they are still un-signed after the draft. B.J. Sams may be the bargain here.

Safeties

Donnie Nickey (6-3, 210, 5) TEN
Gerome Sapp (6-1, 216, 5) BAL
Michael Doss (5-10, 207, 5) MIN

Comment: As stated previously, re-signing S Matt Ware is likely the only move the Cards will make, other than perhaps re-signing Oliver Celestin. Gerome Sapp was Ed Reed's understudy...and might be ready to come into his own.

Signings (within a smaller budget) that could make the Cards stronger and more flexible in the draft? My picks are:

1. QB Kelly Holcomb--we had to play a #3 QB last year, and Holcomb is significantly better than Rattay or Hasselbeck.
2. WR Tim Carter--deep threat the offense needs.
3. DE Darrion Scott--the one player on this list worth paying a little extra.
4. OLB Robert Reynolds--better signing than Chillar.
5. CB B.J. Sams--young and aggressive and would come with 4 years experience under his belt, as Rod Hood did.

I also like RBs Musa Smith and Tyson Thompson...and would consider reworking some contracts to get one of these two.

Last edited:

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Great Job, but I highly doubt Matt Ware would ever change a team's draft strategy.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great Job, but I highly doubt Matt Ware would ever change a team's draft strategy.

I third the motion. Making up the list was the easy part, but the commentary is spot on for which I am in complete agreement. Scott is the best player on the board, but I think he might be a bit rich. Colvin can play in a 3/4 but also a bit expensivo. Close it up and enjoy the holiday!!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would really like to see something better than Urban as the #3 WR.

Also, Bailey does nothing for me at all. Don't understand keeping him.

Getting Colvin would be great and Haggans wouldn't be bad either.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Donnie Nickey went to OSU and i can't think of how he has ever made a NFL roster. The guy is flat out horrible. Darrion Scott,on the other hand, would be a welcome ex-Buckeye to the fold.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fa

Haggans played for the Steelers while the Whiz was there. And yet the Cards targeted Chillar. Must tell you something.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
the rest of my offseason would look like this...

Free Agents-
DE-Kimo Von Oelhoffen: Not much upside but a well experienced 3-4 end that can teach Dockett and Smith to play unselfishly.

OLB-Rosevelt Colvin: Knows how to play and still has a coulpe years in him. At this point, price tag can't be extremely high and has potential to be an impact pass rusher.

CB-Andre Dyson: I am not a big fan but we need depth. A decent nickelback for a year.

OG-Ruben Brown: It is always good to have a veteran offensive lineman able to step in and get the job done. Best eyars are behind him but our depth is no near as good as he is.

WR-Peerless Price: Has speed to get deep still and can be a number 3 receiver on our turf.

Draft (no trades) -
1-OT/OG-Branden Albert: Gives us depth, versatility and power on a o-line lacking all of the above. Guy is special at OG or at OT.

2-CB-Tracy Porter: Very fast with great agility and acceleration. Perfect corner for our scheme.

3-DE-Kendall Langford: Really strong and physical end who fits perfectly into a 3-4. Needs some technique help but could be a future starter.

4-RB-Tashard Choice: Hard runner who falls forward for yards. Not a break away threat but a runningback who could do well.

5-S-Tyrell Johnson: Solid football guy who should be able to overcome limited athleticsm.

6-ILB-Vince Hall: Plays faster than he times w/ great instincts. Another football guy who can hide his lack of athleticsm inside in a 3-4.

7-QB-Kyle Wright: All American who struggled in college. Has the physical tools that should be able to be molded into a future backup.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What are the indications that the Cards are interested in Hasselback?

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
somers or urban blog.

Link? I haven't heard anything about that in a LONG time. Since Hasselback could be signed for the veteran minimum, it's hard to believe that his name hasn't come up.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I dont have a link to the specific article but I can tell you it was either in urbans frontpage writing, his blog or somers blog.

Talked about Rattay thinks he can be a #2 somewhere and is trying for that so we turned toward hassleback.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry, I dont have a link to the specific article but I can tell you it was either in urbans frontpage writing, his blog or somers blog.

Talked about Rattay thinks he can be a #2 somewhere and is trying for that so we turned toward hassleback.

I'm certainly not saying that anyone's a liar. But if I don't see it somewhere, I'm going to guess it's a product of Mitch's fertile imagination. I've gone back through all the stories for a couple months, and I haven't seen ANYTHING.

I'll look a little more, but I personally think there'll be better options than Tim Hasselback in the draft (even late on the second day) for this team.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daisy, the dig at Mitch was unnecessary. And yes, the Hasselbeck over Ratay thing was mentioned in one of the blogs. I have no interest in digging for it. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daisy, the dig at Mitch was unnecessary. And yes, the Hasselbeck over Ratay thing was mentioned in one of the blogs. I have no interest in digging for it. Whether you choose to believe it is up to you.

Mad card is right, it was PFW, not Mitch.

I would prefer a million things over Tim also, but really how often do you need a #3? give the job to Boldin.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would prefer a million things over Tim also, but really how often do you need a #3? give the job to Boldin.

I'm kind of hoping that this is a joke. Did you already forget Tim Rattay's 12-24, 159 yds, 3 INT stinkbomb against Carolina last October?

Man, it's remarkable that Kurt Warner was able to come back only 7 days later to play in the next game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of hoping that this is a joke. Did you already forget Tim Rattay's 12-24, 159 yds, 3 INT stinkbomb against Carolina last October?

Man, it's remarkable that Kurt Warner was able to come back only 7 days later to play in the next game.

Ok, we have one example, I asked how often, so im waiting to see more.

Ill take Q over Rattay at QB anyway.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok, we have one example, I asked how often, so im waiting to see more.

Seriously? The Atlanta Falcons starter three quarterbacks at different times last season (Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and Byron Leftwich). San Francisco had 4 QBs throw passes last season; Chris Weinke started the 12/30 game for the 49ers. Carolina also had 4 different players appear under center. The Chicago Bears had 3 signal-callers attempt at least 80 passes in 2008. The Miami Dolphins had 3 quarterbacks who attempted no fewer than 100 passes last year. The Oakland Raiders also utilized 3 different signal-callers, without counting Andrew Walter, who appeared due to injury. Finally, Troy Smith attempted 76 passes in 4 games for the Baltimore Ravens.

That was just last season, and those 8 franchises (if you include Arizona), mean that fully 25% of the franchises in the NFL had use for their 3rd QBs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? The Atlanta Falcons starter three quarterbacks at different times last season (Joey Harrington, Chris Redman, and Byron Leftwich). San Francisco had 4 QBs throw passes last season; Chris Weinke started the 12/30 game for the 49ers. Carolina also had 4 different players appear under center. The Chicago Bears had 3 signal-callers attempt at least 80 passes in 2008. The Miami Dolphins had 3 quarterbacks who attempted no fewer than 100 passes last year. The Oakland Raiders also utilized 3 different signal-callers, without counting Andrew Walter, who appeared due to injury. Finally, Troy Smith attempted 76 passes in 4 games for the Baltimore Ravens.

That was just last season, and those 8 franchises (if you include Arizona), mean that fully 25% of the franchises in the NFL had use for their 3rd QBs.

but to be fair:

The bears had a QB triangle because they all sucks ass, not for injury.
Same with the raiders.

really, all of them have crap at QB and some had injury issues.

We have 2 good QB's, performance isnt the problem and the odds of both of them being hurt again are very slim.

NightHawk11and81

I love Daniela Hantuchova
Reaction score

That is not fair to Rattay, he had little time to prepare and he actually did not play badly at all. Only one of the three picks was his fault. #2 was off Urban's hands, and #3 was a result of us being down 16 and having to force it.

I would gladly take Rattay as a #3 again. If not him, give me someone else who is capable.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Couple of observations.......

BJ Sams would be a huge upgrade over Arrington as the #2 KR.

Larry Allen can still get it done on the left side of the line. What would his price be?

Haggans, or Colvin need to be very high on our priority list IMO.