Report: Suns Considering Greg Monroe

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...just how important are 2 or 3 rebounds a game?
During the first 2/3 of the season, perhaps not as important.

Down the stretch and in the playoffs, when the refs change the playing field -- more than important -- crucial!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During the first 2/3 of the season, perhaps not as important.

Down the stretch and in the playoffs, when the refs change the playing field -- more than important -- crucial!

Two or three rebounds are worth what? A couple of points, maybe three or four at the most? That can be huge but some of these rebounders we are looking at give away even more points in other areas. If they are giving away ten points in other areas, how important are those two or three rebounds then?

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Two or three rebounds are worth what? A couple of points, maybe three or four at the most? That can be huge but some of these rebounders we are looking at give away even more points in other areas. If they are giving away ten points in other areas, how important are those two or three rebounds then?

Steve
I'm thinking more of key rebounds with the game on the line. The rebound you need to get. Our best vs. their best.

Their Center or Power Forward grabbing an offensive rebound over our (best rebounding) Small Forward.

Offensive rebounds (2nd and 3rd chances) not only give them another shot, it demoralizes your team.

Strength is not only a tool. It is a state of mind. I truly believe that!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking more of key rebounds with the game on the line. The rebound you need to get. Our best vs. their best.

Their Center or Power Forward grabbing an offensive rebound over our (best rebounding) Small Forward.

Offensive rebounds (2nd and 3rd chances) not only give them another shot, it demoralizes your team.

Strength is not only a tool. It is a state of mind. I truly believe that!

Then you don't want Greg Monroe on your team. He rebounds his area and that's it. He also loses rebounds to smaller players because he doesn't block out and he is one of the least explosive leapers you will ever see. When the game is on the line, I don't like his chances.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Then you don't want Greg Monroe on your team. He rebounds his area and that's it. He also loses rebounds to smaller players because he doesn't block out and he is one of the least explosive leapers you will ever see. When the game is on the line, I don't like his chances.

Steve
I appreciate that, Steve. You know the players much better than I.

Is there anything we can do to strengthen our rebounding?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anything we can do to strengthen our rebounding?

Teach Len to play basketball. We weren't that bad of a rebounding team last year, basically middle of the pack. If Len can progress to the point he beats out Plumlee we'll be in great shape. Both of them are pretty good rebounders. It will be interesting to see how we use Markieff. I'm hoping that we won't try to turn him into a Frye clone, that isn't his strength. He should be able to pull his man out far enough from the key without setting up behind the 3 point line.

From the press conference today it does sound like Jeff wants the team to focus more on defense and rebounding. Hopefully that actually happens.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Teach Len to play basketball. We weren't that bad of a rebounding team last year, basically middle of the pack. If Len can progress to the point he beats out Plumlee we'll be in great shape. Both of them are pretty good rebounders. It will be interesting to see how we use Markieff. I'm hoping that we won't try to turn him into a Frye clone, that isn't his strength. He should be able to pull his man out far enough from the key without setting up behind the 3 point line.

From the press conference today it does sound like Jeff wants the team to focus more on defense and rebounding. Hopefully that actually happens.

Steve

I'd like to see more pick and roll. I know Hornacek saw it a ton working under Sloan.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see more pick and roll. I know Hornacek saw it a ton working under Sloan.

I agree, Keef should be very good in the pick and roll and pick and pop. Same with Marcus. I don't think it's a strength for Tolliver though from what I remember about him.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF are you even talking about? Are you a mind reader now? Just quit. Please.

Well, what does that icon mean to you? Serious question. I have to admit, it's one of the few things that pushes my buttons immediately even when I have no idea who it's aimed at. To me, it says I'm tired of banging my head against the wall because of the stupidity here. Is that not what it means to you?

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, what does that icon mean to you? Serious question. I have to admit, it's one of the few things that pushes my buttons immediately even when I have no idea who it's aimed at. To me, it says I'm tired of banging my head against the wall because of the stupidity here. Is that not what it means to you?

Steve

:wave:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Yup, those videos of Monroe deflated my interest in him. Ran the floor better than I expected but there were lots of negatives. I'd take Markieff over him at PF despite Monroe's advantage on the boards - he just can't defend PFs with any range at all. And I'd rather have Plumlee at C - he's so much more aware of whats going on. God, I hope Len doesn't look that out of it after four years in the league.

Bottom Line: I don't want him even at a bargain price.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liken Monroe to a younger, bigger David Lee. I remember people on this board thought Lee was an overrated stat stuffer but I would have loved to have had Lee's production. He is not a defensive stopper but he gives you a true post player. He would be the best big on the roster and its not like Plumlee is Serge Ibaka to where he is leaps and bounds better of a defender than Monroe. I know people think PHX will overpay for him but news flash PHX will have to offer FA's more money to play here, its not exactly a FA dream destination. I think PHX would be a better team with Monroe, make no mistake. Word is DET might not even match an because he is hell bent on leaving...I don't blame him, DET is terrible and they are going to have a tough time keeping Drummond when he becomes a FA.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I liken Monroe to a younger, bigger David Lee. I remember people on this board thought Lee was an overrated stat stuffer but I would have loved to have had Lee's production. He is not a defensive stopper but he gives you a true post player. He would be the best big on the roster and its not like Plumlee is Serge Ibaka to where he is leaps and bounds better of a defender than Monroe. I know people think PHX will overpay for him but news flash PHX will have to offer FA's more money to play here, its not exactly a FA dream destination. I think PHX would be a better team with Monroe, make no mistake. Word is DET might not even match an because he is hell bent on leaving...I don't blame him, DET is terrible and they are going to have a tough time keeping Drummond when he becomes a FA.
So who plays along side him in the front court? Can't be Keef or Tolliver because then their is noone to protect the rim at all. Can't be Len or Plumlee because that would clog up the paint. If we had a legitimate rim protecting stretch 4 like Ibaka for instance than I could see it working, but on this roster he only hurts the team when he is on the floor.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So who plays along side him in the front court? Can't be Keef or Tolliver because then their is noone to protect the rim at all. Can't be Len or Plumlee because that would clog up the paint. If we had a legitimate rim protecting stretch 4 like Ibaka for instance than I could see it working, but on this roster he only hurts the team when he is on the floor.

Is Plumlee a rim protector he averaged just over 1 bpg last year? I wouldn't put him in the defensive stopper category. I would start him at C and Markieff at PF. You lost me with Ibaka being a stretch 4, in his 5 year career he has taken 120 3pt shots, which is less than 1 a game. A stretch 4 to me is a Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Ryan Anderson type.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Is Plumlee a rim protector he averaged just over 1 bpg last year? I wouldn't put him in the defensive stopper category. I would start him at C and Markieff at PF. You lost me with Ibaka being a stretch 4, in his 5 year career he has taken 120 3pt shots, which is less than 1 a game. A stretch 4 to me is a Kevin Love, Channing Frye, Ryan Anderson type.
Plumlee is a rim protector IMO or at least way better than Monroe is, but that isn't saying much because Monroe is terrible in that aspect. Also it depends on which Miles we get, because for the first 2 months of the season he was terrific at defending the rim, (2 BPG and a good shooting percentage allowed at the rim) but he tailed off as we got deeper into the season. He is really good at going straight up and not creating contact and thus making it very hard for guys to get their shot off over him. Hopefully he is conditioned and ready for big minutes all year this year.

As for Ibaka, "stretch 4" may have been a misleading term as that is generally linked to 3 point shooters, though he does have the ability to shoot 3s his range is typically around 17 feet. As for him fitting with Monroe it really comes down to the way a team plays offense. The Suns like to fill the court with shooter to stretch out the defense for the guards to penetrate and ultimately score. In this situation you just can't ever have Monroe and Len/Plumlee out there together because our guards have no chance of consistently getting to the rim. However defensively you can't afford to have him play big minutes along side Keef and Tolliver because there would be little to no rim protection.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Plumlee is a rim protector IMO or at least way better than Monroe is, but that isn't saying much because Monroe is terrible in that aspect. Also it depends on which Miles we get, because for the first 2 months of the season he was terrific at defending the rim, (2 BPG and a good shooting percentage allowed at the rim) but he tailed off as we got deeper into the season. He is really good at going straight up and not creating contact and thus making it very hard for guys to get their shot off over him. Hopefully he is conditioned and ready for big minutes all year this year.

As for Ibaka, "stretch 4" may have been a misleading term as that is generally linked to 3 point shooters, though he does have the ability to shoot 3s his range is typically around 17 feet. As for him fitting with Monroe it really comes down to the way a team plays offense. The Suns like to fill the court with shooter to stretch out the defense for the guards to penetrate and ultimately score. In this situation you just can't ever have Monroe and Len/Plumlee out there together because our guards have no chance of consistently getting to the rim. However defensively you can't afford to have him play big minutes along side Keef and Tolliver because there would be little to no rim protection.

I see and agree that Monroe and Plumlee can not be on the court together as spacing would be an issue unless Hornacek can teach him how to shoot beyond 15 ft. I just don't think Plumlee is a better C than Monroe and Monroe would give PHX a low post threat it hasn't had since Barkley. Your analysis of Plumlee is pretty accurate in that as the season progress he seemed to fade.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see and agree that Monroe and Plumlee can not be on the court together as spacing would be an issue unless Hornacek can teach him how to shoot beyond 15 ft. I just don't think Plumlee is a better C than Monroe and Monroe would give PHX a low post threat it hasn't had since Barkley. Your analysis of Plumlee is pretty accurate in that as the season progress he seemed to fade.

From the stats I've seen and the footage I've watched, he's nowhere near the low post threat that Markieff is and Markieff is a long ways from Charles Barkley. He's a very ineffective shooter and his stats, especially when you remove his transition baskets, shows him to be among the worst at it. On top of that, he's a 26% jump shooter. I don't see that kind of shooter ever becoming proficient.

Can I ask what you're basing your opinion on? Mine is almost entirely from clips, stats and analyses done on him so I might not be seeing the whole picture. I've only actually watched him play in maybe 8 games (career). But I'm also aware and a bit fearful of the David Falk machine and his ability to influence public opinion on one of his clients. No one does it better.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really do not think we have any interest in Monroe. According to his advanced stats he is just not that efficient of a player. To me he is over valued.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the stats I've seen and the footage I've watched, he's nowhere near the low post threat that Markieff is and Markieff is a long ways from Charles Barkley. He's a very ineffective shooter and his stats, especially when you remove his transition baskets, shows him to be among the worst at it. On top of that, he's a 26% jump shooter. I don't see that kind of shooter ever becoming proficient.

Can I ask what you're basing your opinion on? Mine is almost entirely from clips, stats and analyses done on him so I might not be seeing the whole picture. I've only actually watched him play in maybe 8 games (career). But I'm also aware and a bit fearful of the David Falk machine and his ability to influence public opinion on one of his clients. No one does it better.

Steve
Oh, I'm going by the clips and basic stats like overall FG% so his 26% jump shot percentage does sort of tie into my comment that he is a low post player whom Hornacek would have to give some pointers on. He may never be a Frye type shooter but Frye wasn't always a 3pt shooter. Now, question to you. You are Greg Monroe on the court with Drummond, Smith, Jennings & whomever is their SG. So your on the court with no jump shooters to provide spacing and a C with no outside shot either. What do you think the defense is going to do? Probably crowd the paint and play off the perimeter, right? So maybe that affects his jump shooting percentage. Now put him with PHX and their shooters and a penetration PG and you probably get easier shots. He really wouldn't need to be a 3pt threat as Morris and Tucker would provide that. Are we asking Plumlee to become a jump shooter? No.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Pass

No thanks, better get someone else or stay put, if he's really that bad/ineffective. No need to overpay.