Report: Suns Considering Greg Monroe

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I believe I heard on Gambo's show this was Erics second knee surgery (same knee) and after having his meniscus removed instead of repaired, put him in risk of future microfracture surg. Mind you that info came from Gambo for whats that worth.

It's not worth much. There's no such thing as "risk of future microfracture surgery." That would be like a "risk of chemotherapy." Microfracture is an attempt to remedy an underlying problem that cannot be fixed by less radical means. Microfracture itself does not cause any problems; rather, athletes who undergo microfracture have a serious problem that the procedure may or may not successfully address.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
No they don't but we had a better one on the roster a year ago and most fans were champing at the bit to give Gortat away. Monroe has the potential to reach Marcin's level but he's not there yet despite how some fans here are now portraying him. And Bledsoe's injury has nothing to do with the injuries that lead to micro fracture.

Steve

Gortat 30
Monroe 24

The Suns traded Gortat because they didn't want to give big money to a 30 year old when they were just beginning a rebuild. A 24 year old Monroe is a much better fit.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I've heard on Sports talk radio (speculation really) that Bledsoe should be good for about 5 years before his surgically repaired knee would need to be addressed again. However, I don't think removing meniscus should be minimized. Maybe if his knee was just scoped a couple of times for loose particles, I would feel better.

The Suns have all the records from his procedures. They must feel pretty confident if they offered him 4/48.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gortat 30
Monroe 24

The Suns traded Gortat because they didn't want to give big money to a 30 year old when they were just beginning a rebuild. A 24 year old Monroe is a much better fit.

I didn't have a problem with trading Gortat, we were starting a re-build but there were a lot of fans that simply wanted him gone, no matter what. Monroe's age bodes well but he's hardly a better fit. He has no range, he's not an effective scorer even around the basket and he's a subpar defender. I think he can get better and I believe his "horrible defense" is a little exaggerated but Gortat was better at just about every aspect of the game.

I think Monroe can guard the big centers better than our current group but he'll be a liability against the more mobile big men. I'm not thrilled about the trade off. He'll give us decent rebounding numbers but there aren't too many big men in the game that are less explosive leaving their feet. He'll lose a lot of contested rebounds that way and he won't give us much in the way of blocked shots.

I think he can get quite a bit better but we'd be pinning our hopes on that improvement. I'm okay with that but as I read this board I get the idea that a lot of fans think he's more than he is.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with trading Gortat, we were starting a re-build but there were a lot of fans that simply wanted him gone, no matter what. Monroe's age bodes well but he's hardly a better fit. He has no range, he's not an effective scorer even around the basket and he's a subpar defender. I think he can get better and I believe his "horrible defense" is a little exaggerated but Gortat was better at just about every aspect of the game.

I think Monroe can guard the big centers better than our current group but he'll be a liability against the more mobile big men. I'm not thrilled about the trade off. He'll give us decent rebounding numbers but there aren't too many big men in the game that are less explosive leaving their feet. He'll lose a lot of contested rebounds that way and he won't give us much in the way of blocked shots.

I think he can get quite a bit better but we'd be pinning our hopes on that improvement. I'm okay with that but as I read this board I get the idea that a lot of fans think he's more than he is.

Steve

Sounds about right. At 24 I'd imagine he will improve a lot. Centers take more time to develop and usually are productive for longer than guards. Where was Gortat when he was 24? Gortat was taken with the last pick of the second round because he was so raw.

I also like the idea of getting the best possible players and making them fit as opposed to signing marginal ones the fit the system. I know it doesn't always work out but at least there is a potentially higher ceiling.

Also Monroe had more points, same rebounds and higher PER than Gortat last year.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have all the records from his procedures. They must feel pretty confident if they offered him 4/48.

Very true. However, wasn't Sarver willing to offer Amare a 5 year, 100M dollar contract with 60M being guaranteed and the last two seasons with only partial or performance guarantees. In other words, giving 48M to Bledsoe would not sink the ship.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. At 24 I'd imagine he will improve a lot. Centers take more time to develop and usually are productive for longer than guards. Where was Gortat when he was 24? Gortat was taken with the last pick of the second round because he was so raw.

I also like the idea of getting the best possible players and making them fit as opposed to signing marginal ones the fit the system. I know it doesn't always work out but at least there is a potentially higher ceiling.

And that's why I'm interested in signing him. I'm not interested in a major sign and trade deal though unless we're dumping Bledsoe this year and probably Dragic the next and starting all over with the rebuild. He isn't talented enough to overpay and give up assets at the same time. I'd even give him a little more and front-load it to the extent we're allowed. I wouldn't want to give up any of our 2013 players, even Green, to make this deal. I'd be willing to part with Goodwin, Ennis, the Minnesota pick and even the Lakers pick to find a starting caliber center but no more than that.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that's why I'm interested in signing him. I'm not interested in a major sign and trade deal though unless we're dumping Bledsoe this year and probably Dragic the next and starting all over with the rebuild. He isn't talented enough to overpay and give up assets at the same time. I'd even give him a little more and front-load it to the extent we're allowed. I wouldn't want to give up any of our 2013 players, even Green, to make this deal. I'd be willing to part with Goodwin, Ennis, the Minnesota pick and even the Lakers pick to find a starting caliber center but no more than that.

Steve

Agreed. I like Monroe and feel he can get better, but I'm not sold on him so the money and loss of future flex is enough in my book to spend on him. I don't want to also give up other pieces of the team to bring him here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Both players are restricted free agents, couldn't they be signed and traded which would be the essence of the trade along with parts or picks to make it work. I don't see why the Suns would want to dump Dragic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both players are restricted free agents, couldn't they be signed and traded which would be the essence of the trade along with parts or picks to make it work. I don't see why the Suns would want to dump Dragic.

Sure, we could sign and trade Bledsoe for Monroe (I think?). But I'd hate it. IMO, barring Bledsoe going down to injury, a trade like that would make the Hall of Fame of bad trades.

I wasn't suggesting we get rid of Dragic. With Eric, I think we'll be fighting for home court advantage in the playoffs. Losing Bledsoe, even if it brought us Monroe, puts us back to fighting for the 11th or 12th spot in the conference. We were a special team when Eric and Goran both played. We were a very mediocre team when either of them was missing. I just figure if we're going to give away Bledsoe for an average player than we must be planning on starting from scratch again. In which case, trade Goran for a handful of magic draft beans and see if we can get lucky.

Steve

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Never seen him play. Anyone give a scouting report? So far I hear back to basket guy who can't play defense?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, we could sign and trade Bledsoe for Monroe (I think?). But I'd hate it. IMO, barring Bledsoe going down to injury, a trade like that would make the Hall of Fame of bad trades.

I wasn't suggesting we get rid of Dragic. With Eric, I think we'll be fighting for home court advantage in the playoffs. Losing Bledsoe, even if it brought us Monroe, puts us back to fighting for the 11th or 12th spot in the conference. We were a special team when Eric and Goran both played. We were a very mediocre team when either of them was missing. I just figure if we're going to give away Bledsoe for an average player than we must be planning on starting from scratch again. In which case, trade Goran for a handful of magic draft beans and see if we can get lucky.

Steve

I see, if you think Monroe is average and Bledsoe is a star. I do not have Bledsoe in the star category yet nor Monroe in the average category as they are both only 24. I see the Suns well situated at the PG position and they would be adding an above average C/PF.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think this is an either or thing. I dont think they'd bother with Monroe unless they were also going to keep Bledsoe. Sarver talked about their goal of exceeding the cap this year, and that they did not want to just build up a mediocre roster in doing so. Signing Monroe, with or without Bledsoe, blows our cap and financial flexibility, there is no point in doing so unless you're also bringing Bledsoe back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see, if you think Monroe is average and Bledsoe is a star. I do not have Bledsoe in the star category yet nor Monroe in the average category as they are both only 24. I see the Suns well situated at the PG position and they would be adding an above average C/PF.

What does Monroe do that is much better than average? He might be slightly above average, probably is, but not by much. I grow weary of defending or championing Bledsoe so I'll just leave that one alone. But if Monroe is that good and Drummond is even better, it begs the question why they were so bad in a very weak East. I guess some people will just blame it on Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings. And while it wasn't a great roster, I'll bet most people would have taken it over ours before the season started.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does Monroe do that is much better than average? He might be slightly above average, probably is, but not by much. I grow weary of defending or championing Bledsoe so I'll just leave that one alone. But if Monroe is that good and Drummond is even better, it begs the question why they were so bad in a very weak East. I guess some people will just blame it on Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings. And while it wasn't a great roster, I'll bet most people would have taken it over ours before the season started.

Steve

Monroe has averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds over 4 season with Detroit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01.html

Also if Love is that good why were the Timberwolves so bad.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never seen him play. Anyone give a scouting report? So far I hear back to basket guy who can't play defense?

He is more skilled offensively than defensively. Averaged 15/9 last year, 14/9 in his 4 year career, great passing big man. One thing to remember, Channing Frye wasn't a 3pt shooter before he came to PHX, maybe Hornacek can increase Monroe's shooting range. PHX needs to do something before DET can trade Smith, because then all bets are off for Monroe leaving DET.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monroe has averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds over 4 season with Detroit.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monrogr01.html

Also if Love is that good why were the Timberwolves so bad.

Is that to contest my suggestion that he isn't much more than an above average starter? It looks to be proof of my point instead. I'm interested in signing him, I think he's decent now and can get even better. But he's not in Bledoe's class, not even close IMO.

And that argument against Love has been made many times. But Love had to be the best player on a team in the much tougher west and his team played much better than Monroe's team. Not that it's a good argument either way. It is a team game and one player can't do it all. But still, Detroit has been bad despite having Monroe and Drummond, two guys that most Suns fans would kill for.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that to contest my suggestion that he isn't much more than an above average starter? It looks to be proof of my point instead. I'm interested in signing him, I think he's decent now and can get even better. But he's not in Bledoe's class, not even close IMO.

And that argument against Love has been made many times. But Love had to be the best player on a team in the much tougher west and his team played much better than Monroe's team. Not that it's a good argument either way. It is a team game and one player can't do it all. But still, Detroit has been bad despite having Monroe and Drummond, two guys that most Suns fans would kill for.

Steve

Although the situations are different, Bledsoe averaged 8.7 points and 3.4 assists over 4 seasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bledser01.html

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats rather disingenuous. He was playing backup to an all-star... once promoted to a starter Bledsoe immediately thrived. Monroe has had every opportunity to show his value throughout his career.

I don't think it was disingenuous as I laid out his stats and the link for all to see. Also, I said the situations were different. Backing up Chris Paul is indeed a handicap. Don't get me wrong, I like Bledsoe but the longer this goes on, will Bledsoe want to remain a Sun? I get involved in trade discussions, such as a sign and trade, because this may be the way it plays out. I would be thrilled if Bledsoe re-signed for an amount the Suns can afford to keep Dragic after this coming season.

Last edited:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No way am i paying max/big money to a guard who can't stay healthy(Bledsoe). Love his fire and defense but gimpy stars are worthless in my book.

Monroe is a bigman who has been extremely durable in his four NBA seasons. I don't like that he can't play D, but this team desperately needs a frontline rebounder who can score inside. Pay him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way am i paying max/big money to a guard who can't stay healthy(Bledsoe). Love his fire and defense but gimpy stars are worthless in my book.

Monroe is a bigman who has been extremely durable in his four NBA seasons. I don't like that he can't play D, but this team desperately needs a frontline rebounder who can score inside. Pay him.

Nobody wants to pay big money to a guy that isn't going to play. But you either trust your medical staff or you don't.

As for Monroe. You might want to look at that shot chart that someone did on him at Grantland. You might change your mind. Keef is more effective scoring inside than Monroe and Keef plays better defense. Monroe is a better rebounder but just how important are 2 or 3 rebounds a game? Is it enough to put up with his other weaknesses and pay him like a superstar especially given that we will probably have to trade assets to get him in the first place?

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monroe is only 24 years old. Its fantastic to think how good he will be once he hits his prime especially with that kind of durability.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nobody wants to pay big money to a guy that isn't going to play. But you either trust your medical staff or you don't.

As for Monroe. You might want to look at that shot chart that someone did on him at Grantland. You might change your mind. Keef is more effective scoring inside than Monroe and Keef plays better defense. Monroe is a better rebounder but just how important are 2 or 3 rebounds a game? Is it enough to put up with his other weaknesses and pay him like a superstar especially given that we will probably have to trade assets to get him in the first place?

Steve
I watched some film on him last week when all this Monroe talk started. He isn't fluid offensively at all but he's better down low than anybody we've got currently BY FAR. He can even handle the ball fairly well for a 6'11" guy.

He's a legit frontline rebounder who will give you 3 offensive grabs/per game. He can pass out of the block(2 assists/gm) and shoot .500 from the field. He'll also get to the FT line 3 times per(granted he is a poor FT shooter).
I like durable athletes. IMO that is overlooked in pro sports.

He's 24 yrs old. Coach him up Jeff. Screw "the system" here. Get some balance.