Report: Suns Considering Greg Monroe

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bledsoe didn't have his entire meniscus removed.

There was a small bit that came off and was reattached, but came off again.
So Bledsoe got it removed.

There is still meniscus there, but only maybe 90% of it is left.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Post-up compilation. We all know these tubes are put together with sunshine & rainbows, and don't show you all the bad shots, the bricks etc...but considering Monroe is a .500 shooter i'll take this offensive production all day. Keef can do some of these things(as Steve alluded too) but not vs the bigger defenders like Monroe can.

Putting Keef next to Monroe could actually work quite well IMO(offensively speaking) in a smaller lineup.
Or go bigger with Monroe next to Len or Plumlee.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of picking him up. We can't play him with Len/Plumlee because their would be ZERO spacing and we can't play him with Morrii/Toliver because there would be nobody to protect the rim. Unless he can be had for a really good contract and minimal assets are given up to complete a sign and trade, I would rather just steer clear.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Post-up compilation. We all know these tubes are put together with sunshine & rainbows, and don't show you all the bad shots, the bricks etc...but considering Monroe is a .500 shooter i'll take this offensive production all day. Keef can do some of these things(as Steve alluded too) but not vs the bigger defenders like Monroe can.

Putting Keef next to Monroe could actually work quite well IMO(offensively speaking) in a smaller lineup.

Oooooooh I Like that. 4 years 48 :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind that he plays below the rim. Duncan plays below the rim most of the time. His defense could improve and if he improved his jumper he could definitely run the pick and roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbjLUTdgYWo#t=336

I'm glad you brought out the video. There is a lot to like until one looks at his weaknesses. He needs a rim protector to play beside him. Amare's defense was way better than him and that's not saying a lot.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nobody wants to pay big money to a guy that isn't going to play. But you either trust your medical staff or you don't.

As for Monroe. You might want to look at that shot chart that someone did on him at Grantland. You might change your mind. Keef is more effective scoring inside than Monroe and Keef plays better defense. Monroe is a better rebounder but just how important are 2 or 3 rebounds a game? Is it enough to put up with his other weaknesses and pay him like a superstar especially given that we will probably have to trade assets to get him in the first place?

Steve

He also played next to Drummond who gobbles up rebounds...so his rebounding average is actually pretty impressive

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It looks like he's got a pretty nice left hook and can score with the right once in a while too... although he favors his left even when shooting with the right would be easier. Your video was all post-ups so it almost makes it look like he can't dunk the ball, but he's a very capable dunker.

Here's another "highlight" video of Monroe:

You get a better idea of his all-around offensive game from this. He would be the best in-the-paint scorer this team has seen since Amare. He's got good footwork, moves well without the ball, rolls to the open area on the pick & roll pretty well. He can pass pretty decently & handles the ball well for a big man. He rebounds in traffic.

If we got him, we'd probably need to play him @ C alongside Markieff so that the spacing stays decent. Playing him at PF with Plumlee or Len would clog the lane & affect our penetrating PGs.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I watch of him, the less I want him.

Steve

Yep. Slow, half court worker. To me, it doesn't look like he would fit the Suns system.

I just want to sign Bledsoe and be done with this. This is what I hate out the NBA. Players seem to always have inflated views of themselves. Shawn Marion 2.0

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the video devilalum brought to the table made me rethink the whole matter.

I never follow the video links so I didn't realize he'd already posted it. But yes, I watched the DraftExpress 2014 Free Agent Scouting Video and it was the final straw for me. I wish he was on our team. I wish he was backing up our bigs on a 5 year contract somewhere around to 25 to 30 million. But as a max or near max player? You have to be kidding me. The team that gives him a big contract will be looking to unload him from the middle of season one. And good luck with that. It's the con of the year that David Falk even has this guy's name being mentioned as a big time player

Steve

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know the video devilalum brought to the table made me rethink the whole matter.
DevilAlum's video was a good breakdown of Monroe. I was actually pretty happy with myself that I saw some of those weaknesses just from watching his "highlight" reels.

The guy is only 24 & he played for the crappy Pistons... losing that much can take it's toll on you & make you care less, but it definitely looks like he just stands around a lot & is slow to react on defense. The majority of those plays though were when his teammates blew their defensive assignments & he didn't react on help defense and in almost every case there was a really good chance he would've picked up a foul... was he coached not to leave his man? How many fouls did he have when he let those plays happen?

The lack of lateral quickness, jumping ability & defensive awareness worry me, but they can all be improved if he's got the right work ethic (which we don't know if he does). A jumpshot can be taught.... Amare had no jumpshot at in his first 2-3 years until he put in the work. Again, the guy is 24 and played for one of the worst teams in the league his whole career. I don't know how good their coaching staff is, but I have to believe ours is better & can help him. Monroe probably deserves an 8-10 mil/year contract based off of where he's at.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he was a young Amare or Duncan or Hakeem he wouldn't be available. 7 foot bigs with talent don't become available unless they have some warts. What the Suns have to figure out is do his pluses outweigh the minuses and what's a reasonable price for what he brings to the table.

What bothers me is that he was never part of the Suns plan. The Suns wanted LBJ or Love and struck out on both. Now they're in damage control mode and they're reaching for a player that isn't an ideal fit. Then again is it better than doing nothing at this point?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he was a young Amare or Duncan or Hakeem he wouldn't be available. 7 foot bigs with talent don't become available unless they have some warts. What the Suns have to figure out is do his pluses outweigh the minuses and what's a reasonable price for what he brings to the table.

What bothers me is that he was never part of the Suns plan. The Suns wanted LBJ or Love and struck out on both. Now they're in damage control mode and they're reaching for a player that isn't an ideal fit. Then again is it better than doing nothing at this point?

A bad move, or even mediocre move, is worse than no move. If the contract you give is going to be a bad contract (see Josh Smith) it cripples you moving ahead. But it seems clear that both Babby and McD understand this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think so. I'd slightly prefer Plumlee at center than Monroe and I'd much, much, much rather have Markieff at power forward. I just can't stand the idea of bringing in another center that can't defend his position. He can't handle the big guys, he struggles to score against length and he can't defend the rim. Move him to power forward and he's a 26% jump shooter that can't defend the mobile bigs he'll face. I now see why Detroit went after Josh Smith.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Huh? Damage control? Every team wanted Lebron or Love and every team other than Cleveland struck out (so far). We don't know what their plan B or C is so there is no way to know who they may want. let alone that they reaching for anything. In fact, we hear one or two tweets for folks who likely have no more information than fans tweeting that the Suns MAY be interested in Monroe and this is regarded as valid information? Ok, the Suns MAY be interested in signing me. That's has about the same credibility that information has. Someone sees that the Suns have some cap room and Monroe is still available so they connect the two dots and now it's a story. Look at that stupid Lakers trade rumor. It's an idea that someone threw out there and didn't even come from someone connected to the front office and now it's actually being reported on the radio as the topic of todays press conference. It's amazing the legs this BS gets. It's even more amazing that people develop a teams mindset based on that BS. :bang:

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I never follow the video links so I didn't realize he'd already posted it. But yes, I watched the DraftExpress 2014 Free Agent Scouting Video and it was the final straw for me. I wish he was on our team. I wish he was backing up our bigs on a 5 year contract somewhere around to 25 to 30 million. But as a max or near max player? You have to be kidding me. The team that gives him a big contract will be looking to unload him from the middle of season one. And good luck with that. It's the con of the year that David Falk even has this guy's name being mentioned as a big time player

Steve

I'm glad you've come around. Why any team would consider going out and getting a mediocre player from a lousy team is beyond me. He's a poor, poor man's Kevin Love while providing zero spacing since he can't hit (or even attempt) the three. SMH if the Suns are truly considering him.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns wanted LBJ or Love and struck out on both.

Did they ever pursue Love? I thought that was just internet speculation. The Suns don't have anything the Timberwolves would want, and Love never mentioned any interest in a long-term relationship with Phoenix, so I don't think it's fair to say that the front office "struck out" in this case.

They whiffed on James, but that was a long shot anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you've come around. Why any team would consider going out and getting a mediocre player from a lousy team is beyond me. He's a poor, poor man's Kevin Love while providing zero spacing since he can't hit (or even attempt) the three. SMH if the Suns are truly considering him.

If they are I suspect it's on a Frye-like contract, nothing like Falk is trying to generate. I think this is just David Falk doing his thing, trying to convince the world he has a star in the making. He conned Portland into making a huge offer for Roy Hibbert. If he cons us into doing the same for Monroe we deserve what we'll get because I don't see Detroit making Indiana's mistake. And Monroe pales in comparison with Roy Hibbert. The Pistons probably have their fingers crossed for a sign and trade so they can avoid having to overpay him while still recouping something from a number 7 draft pick.

Steve

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yep. Slow, half court worker. To me, it doesn't look like he would fit the Suns system.

I just want to sign Bledsoe and be done with this. This is what I hate out the NBA. Players seem to always have inflated views of themselves. Shawn Marion 2.0
He's actually pretty good in transition and is probably faster than you might expect. That being said, not a big fan of him on this roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's actually pretty good in transition and is probably faster than you might expect. That being said, not a big fan of him on this roster.

Yes he is and it was only his 3 or so easy transition baskets per game that took his shooting percentage to just under 50%. That's not very impressive especially when you consider his very limited range.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Huh? Damage control? Every team wanted Lebron or Love and every team other than Cleveland struck out (so far). We don't know what their plan B or C is so there is no way to know who they may want. let alone that they reaching for anything. In fact, we hear one or two tweets for folks who likely have no more information than fans tweeting that the Suns MAY be interested in Monroe and this is regarded as valid information? Ok, the Suns MAY be interested in signing me. That's has about the same credibility that information has. Someone sees that the Suns have some cap room and Monroe is still available so they connect the two dots and now it's a story. Look at that stupid Lakers trade rumor. It's an idea that someone threw out there and didn't even come from someone connected to the front office and now it's actually being reported on the radio as the topic of todays press conference. It's amazing the legs this BS gets. It's even more amazing that people develop a teams mindset based on that BS. :bang:

"Oh, he's an angry elf."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not a fan of monroe for the money it would likely take to get him. hope he's not in McD's plans.