reported FA deals

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My God, this is ridiculous. We knew it would be bad, but this is amazing.

I know, it's hilarious. Every time there's a big FA summer, we say we know it's going to be bad, and it's always way worse than we thought. Dellavedova makes almost as much as Knight now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jeremy Lin was one of those guys that came out of nowhere. Not that I think he is a world beater but I love to see guys like this in the league.

Actually he didn't come outta nowhere. He actually received quite a bit of notorietyehike pkaying at Harvard. He just wasn't expected to become linsanity.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he didn't come outta nowhere. He actually received quite a bit of notorietyehike pkaying at Harvard. He just wasn't expected to become linsanity.

That's what I was referring to. Nobody in the NBA was talking about him until that year. I just love to see stuff like this happen in the NBA or any sport for that matter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Guys, you need to get over the astonishment. Obviously this is the new norm. And if someone doesn't recognize it (or really ANTICIPATE it) they get left in the dust.

You might not think these numbers are reasonable, but under the new $$$$$$$ they obviously are. Sitting on your cash because you don't want to believe the insanity becomes your downfall.

Now I'm not saying I want us to run out and sign FA's bc is rather we play our youngs and lose to set up what I would hope would be the final high draft pick piece to being a contender next year. But the truth is, these deals, which in the past would be considered criminal, are now "normal." Rising seas raise all boats. Get with the program or become a dinosaur.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So which of those deals did you anticipate?

I expected what would have historically been crazy contracts. Seems that's accurate. So none of this, in greater context, seems crazy to me. On a rational basis (I.e. Do these guys deserve these contracts) I would say individually they are crazy. But on an industry basis I think these were foreseeable. Obviously they were to certain GMs bc there doesn't seem to be a dearth of these deals. They are the majority.

I don't know if the Suns were in that class and just made a strategic decision to stay out of this round, or were taken by surprise. I hope the former, but we will never know bc they would never admit to be caught flatfooted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How close to the floor are the Suns? Remember the cap is like the NFL cap there's both a minimum and a max.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guys, you need to get over the astonishment. Obviously this is the new norm. And if someone doesn't recognize it (or really ANTICIPATE it) they get left in the dust.

You might not think these numbers are reasonable, but under the new $$$$$$$ they obviously are. Sitting on your cash because you don't want to believe the insanity becomes your downfall.

Now I'm not saying I want us to run out and sign FA's bc is rather we play our youngs and lose to set up what I would hope would be the final high draft pick piece to being a contender next year. But the truth is, these deals, which in the past would be considered criminal, are now "normal." Rising seas raise all boats. Get with the program or become a dinosaur.
This is unfortunately true.

This will be the market value for players from now on.

The salary cap never decreases, it either increases or stays relatively same so even mediocre/average players will be making $15M-$18M if not more from now on.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dwight Howard has reached agreement on a three-year, $70.5 million with the Atlanta Hawks, league sources tell The Vertical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Free agent Jeff Green has agreed to a one-year, $15 million deal with the Orlando Magic, league sources tell The Vertical.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
30 million a year for Mike Conley! $153 million! Dude just hit the Powerball.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Darrell Arthur's new three-year deal with the Nuggets will pay him $23M, league source tells @TheVertical.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll say this for McDonough -- Knight's trade value is getting better by the hour. Any team looking for backcourt scoring has to be thinking, "Hmm, I could try to swing a trade for Brandon Knight, or I could pay twice as much for a guy who is half as good."

Yup. I'll happily admit to being wrong about his value. Signing when we did look like a brilliant move with the money being thrown around right now.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm down for bringing back Stoudemire, 31/3 with a buyout in the third year. (I just made those numbers up, and haven't heard anything about any interest from either side.)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow I don't want the Suns to sign any of these bs contracts!! I would love to pull a trade for Okafor, Kidd-Gilchrist, Faried, Valanciunas or Harden.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
We need to be the facilitator for these desperate/foolish teams. Take on one or two year contracts along with first round picks or rights to swap.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard Gambo say the Suns are likely saving their cap space for a run at Hayward next summer. He also said he's heard rumblings that the Suns are trying to work a trade right now but didn't seem to know much more than that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hayward? I just don't get it... unless i do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still shocked by the 5 year, $153 million deal Mike Conley signed with the Memphis Grizzlies.

I don't believe he has ever made the NBA All-Star team and he turns 29 in early October.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake