reported FA deals

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to the "July 1st calls (Free Agent Signings)" thread?

It has not been accepting new posts for some reason.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How close to the floor are the Suns? Remember the cap is like the NFL cap there's both a minimum and a max.

Suns are roughly 20 mil away from the floor currently. There is no real penalty for being under the floor though, everyone on the roster just gets a bonus to ensure the floor is met.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened to the "July 1st calls (Free Agent Signings)" thread?

It has not been accepting new posts for some reason.

Yeah, it was fine until Sunsfan88 went and broke it. I tried responding to his comment (right after he posted it) and it told me off in no uncertain terms.

Seriously though, I just assumed someone decided the two threads were identical ideas and expected to see them combined.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are roughly 20 mil away from the floor currently. There is no real penalty for being under the floor though, everyone on the roster just gets a bonus to ensure the floor is met.

Plus I think we can hit that floor in season too, we don't have to start the season there. Hopefully we're maintaining a little cap room so we can be a trade facilitator when the midseason deadline comes around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was fine until Sunsfan88 went and broke it. I tried responding to his comment (right after he posted it) and it told me off in no uncertain terms.

Seriously though, I just assumed someone decided the two threads were identical ideas and expected to see them combined.

I wanted to respond to a post or two there but oh well. They must have felt the threads were near identical as you say.

Sunsfan88 does look suspicious in this matter. :lol:

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Whew, it's a relief that the board's administrators didn't give up any of their hyper overcontrollingness with the new format. Heaven knows what might happen if we were permitted to have two potentially redundant threads.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So essentially they trade Mirza for Dudley.

sent from a fone

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wanted to respond to a post or two there but oh well. They must have felt the threads were near identical as you say.

Sunsfan88 does look suspicious in this matter. :lol:
Lol wait, what did I do?

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So essentially they trade Mirza for Dudley.

sent from a fone

I'd rather have Dudley, and I get that the market is crazy, but this still feels like an overpayment. He had a hard time getting any minutes at all last year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I'd rather have Dudley, and I get that the market is crazy, but this still feels like an overpayment. He had a hard time getting any minutes at all last year.
I'm guessing this has more to do with leadership than anything else.

sent from a fone

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I like Dudley, but unless PJ is on the trade block, he's kind of redundant. Still, good veteran leadership and they'll need that for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
This is an interesting signing. I'm Ok with it - Not thrilled, but it's alright ... It's interesting because Dudley is real similar to Tucker which means 1 of 2 things (or both):

1. Suns are looking to trade Tucker ... Perhaps in a big deal attached to Chandler and/or Knight
2. Warren will be the starter next to Dudley ... I just can't see Dudley and Tucker both starting ... Or perhaps they'll start Bledsoe-Knight-Booker at the 1-2-3

#2 scenario is probably more likely.

I'm guessing Dudley's defense will be better than Teletovic, but all in all they seem like real comparable players ... I think I'd prefer Dudley just 'cause of his versatility to play the 3' too (which he may have too if Tucker is traded or Bender/Chriss develop quickly)

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
True. I hope this means that Tucker is gone. They could even waive him for all I care.
There are rumblings the Suns are working on a trade per Gambo. Take it for what it's worth. Have no idea who would be involved but my best guess is Knight or Bledsoe to pave the way for Booker. Perhaps PJ would be a part of that as well.

FutureSuperstar

Veteran
Reaction score
There are rumblings the Suns are working on a trade per Gambo. Take it for what it's worth. Have no idea who would be involved but my best guess is Knight or Bledsoe to pave the way for Booker. Perhaps PJ would be a part of that as well.

I agree. Also, something's got to give w/ Goodwin too - No doubt he's seeing all this $$$ being thrown around and going into the last year of his deal, the dude wants to play! ... So either free up time for him to get minutes by trading Knight or deal him too in my opinion, to avoid any distractions later on

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Dudley as a person so I'm cool with this signing. I hope he doesn't see too many minutes, TJ Warren has to see the bulk of minutes at SF imo.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority but I think a straight up swap of Teletovic for Dudley is a huge loss for us. I was a Dudley fan at first but when he let himself go after getting a payday from us I really soured on him. You can't be an energizer bunny, a do everything guy and feast on twinkies in this league. You just can't. Maybe at age 30 he's learned to take care of his body but I kind of doubt it. But if it means we have the PF spot taken care (some way?) of and Dudley is here to backup and help tutor Warren, I'll probably learn to like this deal eventually.

But here is what I suspect is happening. We have a deal in place for a power forward that sends Knight and Warren elsewhere. And we plan on using a one-two punch of Tucker and Dudley at the 3. Scary plan for this fan if that's what's happening.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not keen on the Dudley signing. I was hoping the Suns would look to be more athletic. I guess the Suns like him for his versatility.

Dudley, 30, trimmed his body last summer to 228 pounds after undergoing back surgery for a herniated disk in July. In his final contract year, Dudley played 81 games with 41 starts and averaged 25.9 minutes with 7.9 points, 3.5 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 0.9 steals per game. He shot 47.8 percent from the field and now has the ninth-best career effective field-goal percentage (54.9) among active players.

Phx!!!!!!!!!!! I'm coming Home!!!!!!!!!!!! JMZ is back!!!!!!!!!!

— Jared Dudley (@JaredDudley619) July 2, 2016
“I don’t even see myself as a 3 (small forward),” Dudley told azcentral sports last season. “I’m a 4 (power forward), a stretch 4, because that’s where the game is. That’s for me to prolong my career.

“I’m Channing (Frye) 2.0 because I’ll put it down.”

I'm having trouble seeing Dudley as a PF.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ey-accepts-deal-return-phoenix-suns/86626702/

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm having trouble seeing Dudley as a PF.

Yeah, that's really not encouraging at all. I hadn't realized that that's how he thinks he has redefined himself. I'm not a fan of the whole "stretch 4" fixation anyway, but if you're going to do it, it has to be a guy who's big enough to lure an opposing big out of the paint. Making an undersized SF your "stretch 4" doesn't get you anywhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority but I think a straight up swap of Teletovic for Dudley is a huge loss for us. I was a Dudley fan at first but when he let himself go after getting a payday from us I really soured on him. You can't be an energizer bunny, a do everything guy and feast on twinkies in this league. You just can't. Maybe at age 30 he's learned to take care of his body but I kind of doubt it. But if it means we have the PF spot taken care (some way?) of and Dudley is here to backup and help tutor Warren, I'll probably learn to like this deal eventually.

But here is what I suspect is happening. We have a deal in place for a power forward that sends Knight and Warren elsewhere. And we plan on using a one-two punch of Tucker and Dudley at the 3. Scary plan for this fan if that's what's happening.

You are not alone. I do not like this signing. I hope I'm wrong.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's really not encouraging at all. I hadn't realized that that's how he thinks he has redefined himself. I'm not a fan of the whole "stretch 4" fixation anyway, but if you're going to do it, it has to be a guy who's big enough to lure an opposing big out of the paint. Making an undersized SF your "stretch 4" doesn't get you anywhere.

Exactly. Draymond Green, he is not.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Knicks are reportedly courting Dwyane Wade. If they land him, they'll have the best IR team in the league. I bet Knick fans can't wait to see Rose, Wade, Melo, and Noah suit up. Unfortunately, they'll literally be in suits during most games.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I missed the posts above talking about Dudley as a power forward. I could see that working with the right team but I can't see us being the right team. I think he'd be closer to an Anthony Tolliver in our lineup. But who knows, maybe we're doing a lot more re-tooling this summer than anticipated?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake