Ricky Rubio Is Entering The Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the video clips, he looks like the type of player a team can build around a franchise around. There is no worrying about what position he plays in the back-court.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Well he'll be gone way before the Suns can pick but hopefully him entering the draft pushes a better caliber of player down to us.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's a more up to date mix in better quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSBLKrZCkeU

Chances are slim the Suns get him. If the Suns get the #1 pick they'll take Griffin no doubt, so the only chance they get Rubio is if they get the #2 pick and the team with the #1 takes Griffin. Even then it's no sure bet given Dragic and Nash are under contract and the people the Suns have calling the shots.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Here's a more up to date mix in better quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSBLKrZCkeU

Chances are slim the Suns get him. If the Suns get the #1 pick they'll take Griffin no doubt, so the only chance they get Rubio is if they get the #2 pick and the team with the #1 takes Griffin. Even then it's no sure bet given Dragic and Nash are under contract and the people the Suns have calling the shots.

I bet they'd still take Rubio if that were the situation. Kid is legit, doesn't matter who we have on the roster. Then again I wouldn't put anything past SarvKerr...

cly2tw

Reaction score
Anyone will give us Rubio for MVP Nash? :)

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns are taking Hansbrough no matter what pick they have 1,2,3 or 14.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns are taking Hansbrough no matter what pick they have 1,2,3 or 14.

My money is on Taylor Griffin, then on draft night they can tell everyone how much better he is than his brother.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Just watched the up-to-date mix. I've never seen someone palm the ball as much as he does. He'd get called for it every possession in the NBA.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His buy-out os going to be a problem. Rumor is it is in the multi-million dollar range, most of his first contract is going to go towards a buyout, teams can only contribute 500k and remember salaries are slotted so you can't give him a larger contract to cover the buy-out.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
If I were in the TOP 10 I'd never pick Rubio, he looks so unathletic. PG's in the NBA will kill him with speed and strength. All the crossovers and junk work against the scrubs there. In the NBA he isn't doing this...

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
He is definitely one of my most favorite people in the draft, probably my #1, but I think his bust potential is much much much higher than it is currently hyped at.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Just watched the up-to-date mix. I've never seen someone palm the ball as much as he does. He'd get called for it every possession in the NBA.

Meh, I didn't see anything that Tony Parker or Chris Paul don't do on a regular basis. I don't follow European basketball much but my impression is that the NBA is the most lenient in terms of palming the ball.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Well he is white, so there's probably no doubt to your statement.

Ah but the NBA Marketing Machine must be salivating at the chance to overexpose this kid, so he'll probably get away with it.

It's not his fault, but I think I hate him already. The first name on the back of the jersey doesn't help.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
For those of you who want to see him play, watch him on tape from the Olympics. Rubio has as good of court vision as anyone not named Chris Paul or LeBron James.

While he may seem unathletic, his defense definitely stands out and he was all over Kidd, Deron, and Paul in both games in the Olympics.

Kid can play, but really needs to improve his jumper to get to the level most think he will get to in the NBA.

#2 pick in the draft this year.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but I think jersey numbers should be lower than 60 and people should have their last name on the back of the jersey (almost) no matter how long and difficult the spelling.

Nene my ass. You shouldn't be able to give yourself a first/single name like Mike and Kobe. I hope he uses Rubio just as Lebron uses James and Shaq uses O'Neal.
:trout:

On topic: Guards don't have to be super human athletic to be stars in this league. 2 time MVP Steve Nash is hardly a sprinter or a leaper. He has great footwork, smarts and good athleticism but not exceptional. I hope Rubio enters the league and does well, especially if he'd end up a Phoenix Sun!

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Call me old fashioned but I think jersey numbers should be lower than 60 and people should have their last name on the back of the jersey (almost) no matter how long and difficult the spelling.

Nene my ass. You shouldn't be able to give yourself a first/single name like Mike and Kobe. I hope he uses Rubio just as Lebron uses James and Shaq uses O'Neal.
:trout:

You are old fashioned.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Meh, I didn't see anything that Tony Parker or Chris Paul don't do on a regular basis. I don't follow European basketball much but my impression is that the NBA is the most lenient in terms of palming the ball.

You are right, it is a non-issue.

He won't be a bust, he is already better than Jose Calderon and is merely 18. He already improved his jumper a lot. One could argue that he is already one of the top 5 pick and roll players in the entire world.

And he is not THAT unathletic. At least he can still get up high enough to dunk on the break. And he has very good footwork to make up for his athleticism defensively. He was pressuring Chris Paul in the backcourt succesfully and picking his pocket.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I hope he never falls to the Suns, he is going to be a complete bust.